• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First AMD 6000 series notebook arrives, AMD introduces "AMD Advantage" "framework"

llien

$1650

For the same series of the same brand, 6800M way faster than 3070 (which is 150-200-ish more expensive) and trading blows with 3080 mobile.

"AMD advantage" "design framework" guarantees, among other things:
  • 300+ nit brightness (fails 20 nits short on the notebook above, per toms, but it's 300Hz thingy, so not usual "suck" slapped by OEMs on AMD notebooks)
  • IPS or OLED display
  • Beefy Zen3 CPU
  • SAM enabled by default (on average boosts framerates by around 4%)
  • Smart Shift (CPU and GPU collaborating on power consumption front, PS5 uses it too)
  • 10+ hours of battery life (while surfing/watching videos, not gaming, of course :)). This is ultrabook level Intel requirement. (crazy stuff)
  • FreeSync support (of course)

I guess more is coming in June.

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This looks absolutely amazing. Will the $1500 -$1700 price be accurate though? Considerably better deal than 3000 nvidia series laptops.

jigglet

Banned
God I hate AMD's laptop naming.

Why not take the desktop naming and add "m" at the end. It's just confusing seeing all these huge jumps in numbers.

That being said if I were to buy a new laptop it would AMD in a heartbeat.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
God I hate AMD's laptop naming.

Why not take the desktop naming and add "m" at the end. It's just confusing seeing all these huge jumps in numbers.

That being said if I were to buy a new laptop it would AMD in a heartbeat.
The 6800M is the laptop equivalent of the 6800XT.

Not seeing the confusion....seems pretty straightforward to me.

jigglet

Banned
The 6800M is the laptop equivalent of the 6800XT.

Not seeing the confusion....seems pretty straightforward to me.

3000 series for their desktops, 4000 series for their laptops etc.

For the laymen it would seem like the laptops have a next gen CPU. You don't see why that would be confusing?

Kilau

Gold Member
3000 series for their desktops, 4000 series for their laptops etc.

For the laymen it would seem like the laptops have a next gen CPU. You don't see why that would be confusing?
Desktop didn’t have a 4000 series. Both desktop and laptop are on 5000 now.

Weren’t you referring to gpu though?

supernova8

Banned
Seems like out of the box they're simply not as good as Nvidia's offering, but if they can be vastly cheaper then I'm definitely listening.

When are they actually coming out?

The Fab crisis gimped these release hard!

This CPU is above the 3080.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm beyond excited to see AMD being competitive in the gaming laptop space. Been a stagnation of Intel + Nvidia for far too long.

PhoenixTank

Oh they've aligned them have they? Good
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

They set out to fix it back in October last year. Honestly feels like a long time ago :messenger_grinning:

Great to see AMD attempting to capitalise on their power efficiency lead where it matters most. I'm still trying to reliably find a good, reasonably priced & in stock igpu-only laptop from AMD though. Might just be poor stock where I am.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
$1650 was the price on laptop with 1080p 300hz screen.
It was explicitly noted that that was 150-200 bucks cheaper than even 3070.

So, 6800XTm? :D
I hate 1080p, but at that size I'd happily take a 1080p screen, as long as as it had HDMI 2.1 and I could connect to my OLED.

llien

I hate 1080p, but at that size I'd happily take a 1080p screen, as long as as it had HDMI 2.1 and I could connect to my OLED.

For this particular model, 1440p 165Hz (P3 gamut) and 1080p 300hz sRGB gamut screens are planned.

The main issue would be availability.

On OLED front ASUS has rolled out very competitive Zen series, 1080p OLEDs start at under 1k for intel (only 5500u option for AMD and that goes for 1.3k)

llien

The Fab crisis gimped these release hard!
To me this looks like another example asholery on OEM part.
Intel's grip is still very strong.

But this time, at least AMD could guarantee battery life (10+ is crazy for this format, by the way), screen brightness, gamut, refresh rates, freesync.

Last edited:
Competition is always good. People should remember what the market was like 5 years ago. You could spend 2000 dollars on a laptop and you could barely play at 1080p max details. It was horrible.

llien

I'm not saying it's ASUS's conspiracy, but it looks weird that some random reviewer sees things that engineers don't.

Anyhow, note that notebook is amazing even without 20% bump:

Top Bottom