• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fireside Chat: Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is the guy we hate for some reason right? Will watch. Then post angrily about it later.

I think GAF's reasons for being sour on Ryan are pretty dumb, however he and SONY absolutely deserve criticism for some of the client facing decisions they've made on the PS4 side and have continued into the PS5 era.

. . .also zero interest in a softball profile piece. Fireside chat indeed.

Vaelka

What a fucking idiot..... he wants PS5 to be the biggest ever but doesn't want to gate content.

While we get fucked by other companies gating content.....

Stick that kumbaya bullshit up your ass, we know it's just greed with a thin veil.

Why does it matter so much to you whether PS5 is '' the biggest ever '' or not?
You're not making any money off of it, and competition is better for everyone.

One platform/ publisher soaking up too much isn't good for anyone.,

This is the guy we hate for some reason right? Will watch. Then post angrily about it later.

dave-chappelle-ihate-you.gif

xiskza

So he wants more people to be able to play SIE games outside of PS. He is either referring to PC ports or streaming?

... or free PS5's for everyone 🤣 also a possibility

Seems to be talking about streaming. PC wont get you 100 million users.

Also lets not forget how Sony is exporting their games to tv and movies

Last edited:
Why does it matter so much to you whether PS5 is '' the biggest ever '' or not?
You're not making any money off of it, and competition is better for everyone.

One platform/ publisher soaking up too much isn't good for anyone.,
Them being the biggest ever would lead to more $$$ to be able to produce bigger and better games. They can be the biggest and still have competition btw

Bryank75

Banned
Legit question! You did see where former Sony Boss Shawn Layden said your precious Sony wouldn't lose money gate keeping content, right? What are your thoughts on that?

JayBari's interview... I was there in the chat. I think he is misguided, of course content is king, those with the best content on their platform win..... you HAVE to 'gate' content. This kumbaya bullshit is loser talk.... it's only to justify him trying to make some short term profits on PC while sacrificing longterm growth.

Vaelka

Them being the biggest ever would lead to more $$$ to be able to produce bigger and better games. They can be the biggest and still have competition btw

It's not only about $$$, they already have the money to do it, if anything when companies get too big it starts to go more in the direction of spending as little $$$ as possible to maximize $$$ because they no longer have the pressure to perform.

Making quality games really isn't just about throwing $$$ around there are so many countless of games, movies and television shows that are awful and had insane budgets.
There's a lot of baggage and arrogance that being too successful brings.

My overall point is that it's silly to be so emotionally invested in whether a company that gives absolutely zero fucks about you is '' the biggest '' or not.
And like why does it need to be Sony, it's far more healthy for the industry is everyone is more equal and driven to compete.
And quite frankly also to cooperate, the toxicity of the console war is just obnoxious as hell and only leads to people missing out on games and then becoming insane simps for companies.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

JayBari's interview... I was there in the chat. I think he is misguided, of course content is king, those with the best content on their platform win..... you HAVE to 'gate' content. This kumbaya bullshit is loser talk.... it's only to justify him trying to make some short term profits on PC while sacrificing longterm growth.
Not gonna lie, I think you're psychotic, but you still have an interesting viewpoint.

It's not only about $$$, they already have the money to do it, if anything when companies get too big it starts to go more in the direction of spending as little $$$ as possible to maximize $$$ because they no longer have the pressure to perform.

Making quality games really isn't just about throwing $$$ around there are so many countless of games, movies and television shows that are awful and had insane budgets.
There's a lot of baggage and arrogance that being too successful brings.

My overall point is that it's silly to be so emotionally invested in whether a company that gives absolutely zero fucks about you is '' the biggest '' or not.
And like why does it need to be Sony, it's far more healthy for the industry is everyone is more equal and driven to compete.
And quite frankly also to cooperate, the toxicity of the console war is just obnoxious as hell and only leads to people missing out on games and then becoming insane simps for companies.
You’re talking some extra shit with the console wars. Games are becoming more expensive to make, not less. Money will always be a factor.

Sony went through their pride stage with PS3 and I dont think we are anywhere close to that level of arrogance so I dont see an issue with them becoming bigger than before.

I’m not emotionally invested but I dont want to spend xxx to get all the consoles when I can just keep playing with 1 or 2 consoles that have everything I think I would want to play on there as a consumer.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I get what he's trying to say about having games like TLOU find bigger audiences but thats a problem that cant be solved by putting games on other consoles or even PCs. The audience for games tops out at around 150 million. That includes PCs.

The PS4 and Xbox sold around 160 million units last gen. TLOU sold 20 million on a console base of 110 million. How much more is he going to sell if he puts it on Xbox? Especially when there is a pretty significant population that buys both consoles?

He is coming at this problem all wrong. GTA5 sold 150 million not because it was on PC but because it was a phenomenon. Mario Kart has sold almost 40 million and should finish at around 50 million on the Switch which has sold fewer units than the PS4 and did not need to sell on PCs.

Some games, especially games like TLOU and GoW will simply never reach 150 million people. He compares his games to movies and tv shows persumably because of the storytelling aspect of these games, but there is a HUGE ask here for women, children, and older adults who have never played video games. You are asking them to learn how to play video games in their 30s and 40s just so they can enjoy the story? come on.

Wanting games to reach audiences of hundred of million is delusional. It was delusional when MS wanted to sell a billion xbox ones, and it is delusional today when Sony wants to have their games be played by hundreds of millions of people. The market just isnt big enough. It is growing and they have surely seen results of that growth with their games selling 20 million when they would typically top out at 5 million in the PS3 gen.

But you will never ever get women who watch netflix all day to play games. You will never get your dad to stop watching sports for 3 hours everyday to play god of war for 3 hours. Your mom doesnt have the patience for games. Your friends will play Warzone with you every night but wont ever touch a story driven game because thats just not what they want.

If they want success like GTA. Maybe make games like GTA. If they want success like CoD and Fortnite. Maybe stop making single player games and figure out why they spent making multiplayer shooters in a decade when they were easily the biggest genre on the planet with Destiny, Rainbow Six, Fornite, and PubG carving a place of their own in a genre crowded by Battlefield and COD.

Stop with this hundreds of million dream. it will never happen. You can put PS5 games on roku and every smart tv with no console requirement for free and people wont play them. it's like asking a non-sports fan to watch 162 game season of Baseball. You have to understand your crowd. and your potential userbase.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ya know, Jim actually looks like he has a personality in this interview. I wish he showed more of this side of him in the Sony presentations. He doesn't seem so dry and boring in this interview.

Fake

I mean, they're already pushing to raise prices along with Activision and Take Two. Really leading in the industry on that front.

I know, those comporation guys I really don't like because, as you mention, they like to push 'things', you know, BR/multiplayer all over the place, looking at top 10 Metacritic score games instead of making new ideias/IP, services, lootboxes, etc...

I like Yoshida because he really push new ideias, support indie, not only that but he is a very conversative guy. Countless times I spoke with him via Youtube/Twitter, share Playstation 4 screenshots, he even send my personal feedback directly to the Ghost of Tsushima director, nothing you can do with those comporative guys.

Last edited:
I get what he's trying to say about having games like TLOU find bigger audiences but thats a problem that cant be solved by putting games on other consoles or even PCs. The audience for games tops out at around 150 million. That includes PCs.

The PS4 and Xbox sold around 160 million units last gen. TLOU sold 20 million on a console base of 110 million. How much more is he going to sell if he puts it on Xbox? Especially when there is a pretty significant population that buys both consoles?

He is coming at this problem all wrong. GTA5 sold 150 million not because it was on PC but because it was a phenomenon. Mario Kart has sold almost 40 million and should finish at around 50 million on the Switch which has sold fewer units than the PS4 and did not need to sell on PCs.

Some games, especially games like TLOU and GoW will simply never reach 150 million people. He compares his games to movies and tv shows persumably because of the storytelling aspect of these games, but there is a HUGE ask here for women, children, and older adults who have never played video games. You are asking them to learn how to play video games in their 30s and 40s just so they can enjoy the story? come on.

Wanting games to reach audiences of hundred of million is delusional. It was delusional when MS wanted to sell a billion xbox ones, and it is delusional today when Sony wants to have their games be played by hundreds of millions of people. The market just isnt big enough. It is growing and they have surely seen results of that growth with their games selling 20 million when they would typically top out at 5 million in the PS3 gen.

But you will never ever get women who watch netflix all day to play games. You will never get your dad to stop watching sports for 3 hours everyday to play god of war for 3 hours. Your mom doesnt have the patience for games. Your friends will play Warzone with you every night but wont ever touch a story driven game because thats just not what they want.

If they want success like GTA. Maybe make games like GTA. If they want success like CoD and Fortnite. Maybe stop making single player games and figure out why they spent making multiplayer shooters in a decade when they were easily the biggest genre on the planet with Destiny, Rainbow Six, Fornite, and PubG carving a place of their own in a genre crowded by Battlefield and COD.

Stop with this hundreds of million dream. it will never happen. You can put PS5 games on roku and every smart tv with no console requirement for free and people wont play them. it's like asking a non-sports fan to watch 162 game season of Baseball. You have to understand your crowd. and your potential userbase.
This is a good post. I think often people don't realize that mobile gamers don't play Candy Crush because they've been bamboozled into mobile games and are somehow ignorant of anything better, they play Candy Crush because they WANT to play Candy Crush. That is the video game they want to play, and even if they had the choice of every single other game ever made, it will not change the fact that they want to play Candy Crush. Giving that gamer the ability to play your game means absolutely nothing - the only way they will play your game is if it is another Candy Crush.

Sounds like they wanna expand ps now and PC ports in a big way. I expect a PC launcher from Sony and a TV app for PS now.
Basically catching up to part of the MS strategy.

He's missing the emphasis on backwards compatibility, xcloud (for free), and day one releases of all first party games. Not just trying list war, but the MS strategy really does seem to me to be a new vision where you sub up and play your games nearly anywhere. No additional cost for a PC copy. No additional cost for a cloud copy. Take your games from previous gens.

The PS strategy seems to be raising prices, half hearted BC, and half hearted PC support, and maybe half hearted PS Now as well. It's baby steps in the right direction, wrong direction on pricing, combined with a strong first party output.

I think what's really going to help them expand their audiance is what they are already doing with the film and tv show expansions.

The Last of Us, Ghost of Tshushima, Twisted Metal, Uncharted - all of them should really help to not just grow the gaming audiance, but the world audiance as well.

I'm sure they're going to do something with God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn too on that front in the near future.

The more visibility the better!

Pull n Pray

Banned
You really think you are in a better position than the Sony execs to know what it is in their best financial interest long term?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

He's missing the emphasis on backwards compatibility, xcloud (for free), and day one releases of all first party games. Not just trying list war, but the MS strategy really does seem to me to be a new vision where you sub up and play your games nearly anywhere. No additional cost for a PC copy. No additional cost for a cloud copy. Take your games from previous gens.

The PS strategy seems to be raising prices, half hearted BC, and half hearted PC support, and maybe half hearted PS Now as well. It's baby steps in the right direction, wrong direction on pricing, combined with a strong first party output.

To be fair, they also don’t have the existing infrastructure and inroads that MS does with PC development and cloud stuff.

On Demand

Banned
What a fucking idiot..... he wants PS5 to be the biggest ever but doesn't want to gate content.

While we get fucked by other companies gating content.....

Stick that kumbaya bullshit up your ass, we know it's just greed with a thin veil.

More steaming and PC bullishit. Gated platform exclusive content breeds creativity and competition. Not holding hands skipping through the park singing together.

These idiots like Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer are looking for an audience that isn’t there. There is no “hundreds of millions gamers” and there’s definitely no damn “2 Billion gamers.” These greedy corporate fucks need to go look for money somewhere else. You aren’t getting that audience.

Thankfully streaming games is nowhere near being the norm. And won’t ever will be imo.

Fake

He is coming at this problem all wrong. GTA5 sold 150 million not because it was on PC but because it was a phenomenon.

Like every dumbass comporative guy. 'Make a crap singleplayer experience', "Well, maybe people don't want singleplayer games anymore".

The disconnection between those guys and people that play games are absurd.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You really think you are in a better position than the Sony execs to know what it is in their best financial interest long term?

Yes. Since they can barely communicate or understand who their core fanbase is and say one thing to make them happy. I would say that I am not unique in being better positioned than them.
It's obvious that the absolute worst people for the job were elevated into positions of power at PS.

More steaming and PC bullishit. Gated platform exclusive content breeds creativity and competition. Not holding hands skipping through the park singing together.

These idiots like Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer are looking for an audience that isn’t there. There is no “hundreds of millions gamers” and there’s definitely no damn “2 Billion gamers.” These greedy corporate fucks need to go look for money somewhere else. You aren’t getting that audience.

Thankfully streaming games is nowhere near being the norm. And won’t ever will be imo.
Sony should just open a studio specifically for mobile games.

Bryank75

Banned

Thank you!

Gaming has been cheap as dirt for decades, anyone can get into it and making it cheaper or more accessible isn't gonna make a hundred million people go and order a controller to use with a finicky streaming service that can drop at any moment or get laggy.

Exclusives are the backbone to a healthy ecosystem, Nintendo is built on it and is the oldest and most successful company over the longterm still around today..... they know a thing or two.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Sounds like they wanna expand ps now and PC ports in a big way. I expect a PC launcher from Sony and a TV app for PS now.
They are not really 'catching up', they already tried it but it was too early.

A lot of people forgot PSNow was already on TVs and bluray players in like 2015. You could also stream PSNow with the PlayStation TV.

MS, an actual cloud company, is just starting to copy that model. I guess the technology was not ready yet and that's why it failed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom