• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Escape's GOTY Top 10 & discussion (Dan Ryckert, Mary Kish, Mike Mahardy)

Turnstyle

Who?

dan.jpg

Dan Ryckert (ex-Giant Bomb, now WWE/Twitch),

kish.jpg

Mary Kish (ex-Gamespot, now Twitch Head of Community Marketing)

mike.jpg

Mike Mahardy (Gamespot)

What is it?

An 8 hour game of the year deliberation with lots of fun categories and decent chat with passionate games-playing folk. Remember the old style Giant Bomb GOTY discussions? Yeah, it's pretty much that.

Why should I care?

Look, you like games, right? I mean, you're currently browsing the internet's most esteemed gaming forum, so I assume you like games. Well, this is some people talking about games, celebrating the good ones, trashing the bad ones, and just basically having a good time. Besides, what else have you got going on?

Why are they called Fire Escape?

Yeah, I dunno.

Did they mention [insert your favorite game here]?

Yes, they did actually. They said it was really bad and that anyone who likes it is a big smelly face with no friends. Sorry about that.

Where can I watch this 8 hour extravaganza?

I prefer my podcasts to be audio only, buddy!

No problem - I've split the audio from the video into 5 seperate episodes, just for you:

Link to folder with all episodes

Oh, so it's like the old Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts?

Yeah, pretty much. I said that earlier. Were you not listening? Your 8th grade English teacher was totally right about you.

Enough with the teasing, what were the top 10 video games according to Fire Escape?

10. Ghost of Tsushima
9. Desperados 3
8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2
7. Super Mega Baseball 3
6. Kentucky Route Zero
5. Astro's Playroom
4. The Last of Us Part 2
3. Ori and the Will of The Wisps
2. Half Life Alyx
1. Hades

Are you a corporate shill getting paid for promoting this?

Yes. I recently quit my lucrative job in the oil industry so I could make internet posts about Twitch streams.

So, you going to go now or what?

Yeah, I guess. Happy christmas GAF, you beautiful bastards.

Last edited:

Mushoomba

Neo Member
I've said this in another thread but I'll say it here again: Dan, Mary, and Mike just showed how fun and entertaining a GOTY conversation can be. They pretty much took the Giant Bomb formula and the experience Dan had with it from working there and gave it a new twist to better fit the Twitch format while also introducing some new fun categories. The conversation often went on tangents that weren't even related to videogames at all but it still felt good to watch as it all had a natural and pleasant flow that was possible because they were enjoying what they were doing and you, as a viewer, could sense that enjoyment coming from them.

It feels like a group of friends hanging out and talking about stuff they enjoy, which is something Giant Bomb hasn't been like for years. I didn't have the opportunity to watch the whole thing, but I'll definitely get back to it.

Turnstyle

For anyone who was interested in Dan, Mary & Mike's (aka Fire Escape) GOTY discussion, but didn't want to watch a 7+ hour video, I've taken the audio from the video, and edited them into basically 5 separate episodes, adding intro and outro music for that genuine podcast feel.

Episode 1

- Worst Title of the Year
- Out of Nowhere of the Year

Episode 2

- Dumb Thing of the Year (Bad)
- Dumb Thing of the Year (Good)

Episode 3

- Thing we Forgot Came Out this Year (Bad)
- Remake/Remaster/Revival of the Year

Episode 4

- Most Unnecessary Remake/Remaster/Revival (Bad)
- Best Game we Played that Didn't Come out this Year (Good)
- Bugsnack of the Year
- Thing that Felt New of the Year

Episode 5

- Top 10 Games of the Year

Mushoomba

Neo Member
For anyone who was interested in Dan, Mary & Mike's (aka Fire Escape) GOTY discussion, but didn't want to watch a 7+ hour video, I've taken the audio from the video, and edited them into basically 5 separate episodes, adding intro and outro music for that genuine podcast feel.

Episode 1

- Worst Title of the Year
- Out of Nowhere of the Year

Episode 2

- Dumb Thing of the Year (Bad)
- Dumb Thing of the Year (Good)

Episode 3

- Thing we Forgot Came Out this Year (Bad)
- Remake/Remaster/Revival of the Year

Episode 4

- Most Unnecessary Remake/Remaster/Revival (Bad)
- Best Game we Played that Didn't Come out this Year (Good)
- Bugsnack of the Year
- Thing that Felt New of the Year

Episode 5

- Top 10 Games of the Year

This is awesome, thank you for taking the time to do it!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I tried but I can't listen to Dan talk for more than five minutes before I hear nails on a chalkboard. He doesn't speak English very well lol. anyone notice? Can we get a duolingo subscription for Dan.

Really? Never thought that about Dan, guy's written like six books. Annoying to some, definitely, but never thought he didn't have a grasp on the English language.

Also never kept up with him after he left GB, might be time to check in considering how fucking awful GB is currently.

Top Bottom