• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

Sakura

I'm going to presume innocence. Until proven otherwise, I treat the new translation as being more literal to the Japanese script.
I played the game in Japanese, and no it is not.
edit: In the Japanese, the submissive, and challenging me to stay quiet bits don't exist in the Japanese text, but I wouldn't say the post-patch text is more literal because it leaves out the all day bit.
edit2: Actually the English translation is all over the place after thinking about it a bit more. In any case, there is no way it was done to be more literal considering a) it still isn't literal and b) the game is full of translation that isn't literal to the source text.

Last edited:
Presumably treehouse hate women and they want to downplay the suffering they might experience at the hands of tyrannical men in order to uphold the patriarchy. There, that's my gender studies master's thesis all wrapped up. Now which developer to get a job in ethics department of so I can advise breast reductions for all the characters?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I played the game in Japanese, and no it is not.
edit: In the Japanese, the submissive, and challenging me to stay quiet bits don't exist in the Japanese text, but I wouldn't say the post-patch text is more literal because it leaves out the all day bit.
edit2: Actually the English translation is all over the place after thinking about it a bit more. In any case, there is no way it was done to be more literal considering a) it still isn't literal and b) the game is full of translation that isn't literal to the source text.
If you ever replay the game I'd like a small comparison between why Bernie is fucked and the translation we actually got. If you are ofc very bored.

Sakura

If you ever replay the game I'd like a small comparison between why Bernie is fucked and the translation we actually got. If you are ofc very bored.
Just grabbed from a youtube video as I can't be bothered to play that far.
This is the Japanese text:
VPtlWUF.jpg

The text is:
椅子に縛りつけられて四六時中躾けられて、とにかく良い相手と結婚しろって...
To break it down...
椅子に縛りつけられて: This is tied to chair
四六時中: This is all day (combine the two and you could obviously get something like left tied to a chair all day.)
躾けられて: This would be the "trained" part. However, this word is used somewhat differently in Japanese than in English. In Japanese you could use it for a pet, ie, you train your dog. But you can also use the word for your kids. In English though, we don't typically say we are training our children. Depending on context, a word like discipline might be a better translation. In any case, think a word that combines the ideas of discipline and teaching.
とにかく良い相手と結婚しろって: とにかく is kind of like "in any case" etc, I'm sure you've heard it lots in anime. After that she is basically quoting what her dad was saying, literally something like "marry someone good". Good in this case, probably being someone affluent or whatever, because they are nobles.

If I were to do a sort of lazy translation it would be something like, "He'd leave me tied up to a chair all day, with the idea of trying to make me into good marriage material..."
Then an editor or someone with actual writing skills, because I clearly don't have any, would tidy up the sentence/rewrite it to make it sound better, or like more natural English.

If you are asking me to do all the text for her support though, then I am afraid that I am way too lazy to look up all the English text as well and compare them.

Wouldn't they just cut the rest of the paragraph?
Well they cut out the submissive in the beginning too, so they couldn't just cut off the speech part way through.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Just grabbed from a youtube video as I can't be bothered to play that far.
This is the Japanese text:
VPtlWUF.jpg

The text is:
椅子に縛りつけられて四六時中躾けられて、とにかく良い相手と結婚しろって...
To break it down...
椅子に縛りつけられて: This is tied to chair
四六時中: This is all day (combine the two and you could obviously get something like left tied to a chair all day.)
躾けられて: This would be the "trained" part. However, this word is used somewhat differently in Japanese than in English. In Japanese you could use it for a pet, ie, you train your dog. But you can also use the word for your kids. In English though, we don't typically say we are training our children. Depending on context, a word like discipline might be a better translation. In any case, think a word that combines the ideas of discipline and teaching.
とにかく良い相手と結婚しろって: とにかく is kind of like "in any case" etc, I'm sure you've heard it lots in anime. After that she is basically quoting what her dad was saying, literally something like "marry someone good". Good in this case, probably being someone affluent or whatever, because they are nobles.

If I were to do a sort of lazy translation it would be something like, "He'd leave me tied up to a chair all day, with the idea of trying to make me into good marriage material..."
Then an editor or someone with actual writing skills, because I clearly don't have any, would tidy up the sentence/rewrite it to make it sound better, or like more natural English.
Thanks!

You don't have to replay the game to view the supports.
True maybe he just doesn't even want to touch his Switch rn though?

kiiltz

I finished BL route a couple of days ago and was mostly dissatisfied.
  • I naturally detest archetypes like Dimitri's and on top of that you get the double whammy with Gilbert in the mix too. I can handle one of them but two? N-no thanks. No amount of catharsis will ever make me like, let alone excuse, a character's ignorant and shitty behavior especially when someone has to die for them to have some grand epiphany to maybe stop being a dick. Speaking of which, it's such a shame that Rodrigues had to die. It's just too bad that there wasn't a person in the vicinity with godlike powers and the ability to turn back time.
  • I should note however, that I had previous recruited all the Blue Lion supports on another route save for Sylvain and having done all of them already most likely took away enjoyment I would have had if I'd started with Blue Lions. Funny story, I was actually initially going to choose BL first but went BE's for some reason that now eludes me.
  • Byleth's lack of influence on Dimitri's character development is annoying. You're mostly forced to just suffer through his edgelord phase, even at the most pivotal moment before giving him words that basically everyone was already telling him beforehand. A friend, also doing the BL route (first timer), was guessing that you had to put Dimitri down which would have been a lot more interesting imo (or at least a confrontation/intervention type battle to wake him up tf up).
  • Dedue's "death" and return was predictable and anti-climactic. This actually really annoyed me because 1) functionally, Gilbert is a shittier version of Dedue and 2) I really like Dedue. So I kind of played along with the "haha yeah, such an important character got offscreened" plot thread and quietly awaited his return. Except all it was, was him showing up at the start of a mission being like "oh yeah I'm not dead btw" and everything goes back to normal. LIKE AT LEAST MAKE IT HALF WAY DURING THE BATTLE HOLY SMOKES.
  • Claude "Master Tactician" Reigen, sends his army into a melee in which they can't distinguish their enemies which is like Game of Thrones level of strategic retardism and also it just didn't really make sense for the Alliance to heavily involve themselves in that battle. And, maybe this was because I was playing on Hard, but he sent all his forces to ME which infuriated me even more.
  • TWSID was mostly ignored, even in the epilogue? Tbf I was actually expecting this but one of the reasons I played BL route this time around was to get a better understanding of the Tragedy of Duscur and Edelgard's involvement but I guess I have to play GD to find out.
  • This point actually applies to all routes (at least I'm guessing it's the same for GD and Church) but the idea that anyone would have let the Monastery, a place of immense strategic, symbolic, economic and historic value rot for 5 years gyrates my nerves. It's even more annoying in this route because they try to handwave it bcus hurr durr "it's not on the front lines".
That said, I didn't thoroughly hate the BL route. For one thing, Part 2 has an explosive and amazing start and for another, I actually really liked the relationship between the Edelgard and Dimitri and the revelation that they're actually step-siblings. The last scene in particular, I found remarkably poignant and symbolic. The irony of the step-siblings' relationship is that in giving Edelgard the dagger, Dimitri essentially set her on the path to becoming the Flame Emperor. What I find most fascinating is not their opposing ideals, but they're understanding of each other and attempts to reach out despite knowing the others' refusal. I think on some level Dimitri is aware that he was the one that set Edelgard on her path and thus he would also inherently know that he would be forced to kill her. Despite this, he offers his hand at the end. Likewise, Edelgard knows that the consequence of her actions can only result in either her death, or complete victory.

And so what you get is this scene where despite accepting death for the sake of her ideals, Edelgard is still able to entrust the future to Dimitri's by ahem, "giving" back the very same dagger he gave her to carve out her future.

Anyway, it mostly did kill my enthusiasm for the game but after that last scene + the prospect of now finally playing the Golden Deer's has me excited again. I was gonna do a tidbit on gameplay, mechanics but I've reached my monthly quota for words.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

New info on DLC

This is more like it! We get more online features too and new characters and activities! Can't wait!

thanosg

Banned
Just started playing it this week, graphics could be better but the story is really the best in all SRPGs I've ever played!

mcjmetroid

Right so I beat the Regular Black houses route and had the reduce the difficulty right at the end. The spike in difficulty was insane.

Should I do the Edlegard route? I really wanna see how her story plays out but I also don't want to play the same characters for about half the game before things change
or should I do a completely new house?

Also how difficult is maniac difficult even on new game plus?

mcz117chief

Blue Lions all day everday because Annette has one of the best timeskip designs.

fire_emblem_three_houses_annette_post_timeskip.jpg

Also Felix is a freaking beast at Mortal Savant.

fire_emblem_three_houses_felix_post_timeskip.jpg
Yeah, those look great. On the other hand post skip character designs in the Black Eagles are really meh. They range from ok to really bad.
I would rate them about this way:
ok: Edelgard, Caspar, Linhardt
meh: Dorothea, Bernadetta
bad: Petra, Ferdinand
Please kill me: Hubert

Luckily, I managed to convince Lysithea to join me during a battle and I am really pleased with her design. Shamir still looks the best imo.

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah, those look great. On the other hand post skip character designs in the Black Eagles are really meh. They range from ok to really bad.

Luckily, I managed to convince Lysithea to join me during a battle and I am really pleased with her design. Shamir still looks the best imo.
I love all post Black Eagles designs :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I like Petra's face post timeskip but the island armor is atrocious. It looks like she's wearing a bag of skittles.

Dorothea's is pretty good. I actually like Marianne's design even though it's pretty frugal, but she makes up for it being the best falcon knight in the game next to Ingrid. You get both Ingrid and Marianne together and they absolutely destroy magic users and low res armor units.

kiiltz

Excuse me, did you just say the post-time skip design of Ferdinand von Aegir is bad? And would you really put Ferdinand von Aegir below Edelgard? Ferdinand von Aegir is at least on the same level as Edelgard, if not better.

You dislike my Dorothea's design? What are you, weird?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Excuse me, did you just say the post-time skip design of Ferdinand von Aegir is bad? And would you really put Ferdinand von Aegir below Edelgard? Ferdinand von Aegir is at least on the same level as Edelgard, if not better.
The long hair doesn't suit him at all. I liked him way better before. He looks so unkempt. Like Aragorn in the Lord of the Ring movies who looked like a hobo throughout the whole series. The actor looks great in his other roles where his hair is short and the same goes for Ferdie.

You dislike my Dorothea's design? What are you, weird?

Eh, it is serviceable, but I liked her better before the timeskip.

I like Petra's face post timeskip but the island armor is atrocious. It looks like she's wearing a bag of skittles.

Dorothea's is pretty good. I actually like Marianne's design even though it's pretty frugal, but she makes up for it being the best falcon knight in the game next to Ingrid. You get both Ingrid and Marianne together and they absolutely destroy magic users and low res armor units.

Yeah, the armor is just, major ugh. The main reason why I totally dislike her post timeskip design. Marianne looks pretty much the same pre and post, just a slightly different hairstyle.

Last edited:
Just finished the Blue Lions route today. I think I prefer it over BE. I have fewer questions than I did after that playthrough. Replaying this game is awful though, because the games forces you to play essentially the exact same first half all over again. Even new missions are just maps you've already done before, filled with slightly different generic enemies. It's such a drag. I wish they included some feature to at least skip the monestary part.

This time I chose Bernadetta for my S-rank, and noticed that they didn't properly translate that conversation either.
The MC looks for Bernadetta and takes her somewhere private. That's when Bernie says in Japanese: "Now that it's just the two of us, you're going to have your way with me, right?!" ro something along those lines. For English they changed it to "You're going to kill me, aren't you?!" The MC says (s)he won't, and Bernadetta answers "Oh... Of course you wouldn't be interested in me in that way..." in Japanese, whereas the English translation turns it into something entirely different yet again. I've noticed slight differences likes this throughout the game, and it's a shame Nintendo keeps allowing it to happen. It changes the entire dynamic of the conversation, and while it's not as bad as replacing lines of dialogue with "..." it's still bad. Is it because they desperately wanted the game to get a 12+ rating? I just don't get it.

mcz117chief

Finally finished the game. I picked the Black Eagles and I really enjoyed the game through and through.
The only thing is that Edelgard kind of turned into a little Hitler there near the end, which soured it for me a tiny bit but it was very obvious it was coming to that. The fact that she called me "my teacher" didn't help either. At least she wasn't acting like a total psycho like Dimitri or Rhea. I just wanted the war to end so I could retire in peace with Shamir. The S conversation with Shamir ended up being exactly what I expected, basically this, I still laughed though and it was pretty cute overall. I really REALLY liked how the game shipped the characters at the end, I was super glad that Ferdinand married Bernadetta like he said he wanted to and Caspar ended up with his "big sis" Dorothea. The biggest surprise was Linhardt and Petra, I was dead certain he would end up with Marianne, still, he finally found his calling, which I was really glad since he was frustrating me with his constant "I'm too lazy" act.

p.s. also, I really liked some of the unique conversations you can have when you send specific units to engage each other, like Catherine and Shamir. I like this level of attention to detail, it makes the world feel alive.

Now I think I'll play as a woman but not sure whether to take Blue Lions or Golden Deer.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally finished the game. I picked the Black Eagles and I really enjoyed the game through and through.
The only thing is that Edelgard kind of turned into a little Hitler there near the end, which soured it for me a tiny bit but it was very obvious it was coming to that. The fact that she called me "my teacher" didn't help either. At least she wasn't acting like a total psycho like Dimitri or Rhea. I just wanted the war to end so I could retire in peace with Shamir. The S conversation with Shamir ended up being exactly what I expected, basically this, I still laughed though and it was pretty cute overall. I really REALLY liked how the game shipped the characters at the end, I was super glad that Ferdinand married Bernadetta like he said he wanted to and Caspar ended up with his "big sis" Dorothea. The biggest surprise was Linhardt and Petra, I was dead certain he would end up with Marianne, still, he finally found his calling, which I was really glad since he was frustrating me with his constant "I'm too lazy" act.

p.s. also, I really liked some of the unique conversations you can have when you send specific units to engage each other, like Catherine and Shamir. I like this level of attention to detail, it makes the world feel alive.
Maybe I'm the only one who kind agrees with Edelgard, maybe because I haven't played other Routes yet (planning to do it very soon). In my playthrough I found Rhea little bit scary, she kind of give same vibe as the watchers in Drakengard series.

Now I think I'll play as a woman but not sure whether to take Blue Lions or Golden Deer.
I recommend Golden Deer, because I heard the Church Route is very similar to GD, so you dont want to do bot GD and Church Route back to back.

mcz117chief

Maybe I'm the only one who kind agrees with Edelgard, maybe because I haven't played other Routes yet (planning to do it very soon). In my playthrough I found Rhea little bit scary, she kind of give same vibe as the watchers in Drakengard series.

Rhea is definitely scary and off her fucking rocker, Edelgard is the calculating tyrant type. I think she is a nice person on the surface but she is very ruthless and basically turned the nation away from a diety that immensely helped her win the war towards Nazi Germany/Soviet Union style system where state and "people" are all you need. Got some bad vibes from that to be honest.

I recommend Golden Deer, because I heard the Church Route is very similar to GD, so you dont want to do bot GD and Church Route back to back.
Arrrright. Just not sure who to S as a female in Golden Deers.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Rhea is definitely scary and off her fucking rocker, Edelgard is the calculating tyrant type. I think she is a nice person on the surface but she is very ruthless and basically turned the nation away from a diety that immensely helped her win the war towards Nazi Germany/Soviet Union style system where state and "people" are all you need. Got some bad vibes from that to be honest.

Arrrright. Just not sure who to S as a female in Golden Deers.
She's only "scary" in one route though. Try BL or GD next.

I've done BL and GD and to be honest I'm a bit tired of the game. I've just sarted CF and I'm at 70h and everything feels so... samey. I've heard the Church route starts from a ramification in the Crimson Flower route. Does this mean I can save before this roadcone and then skip half of the game for the last route, or do I need to start from the beggining again for the fourth playthrough?

Also, I think the Black Eagles have the best waifus, because in BL I S-Supported Petra and in GD, Bernadetta. It's like I needed to "import" the waifus from their house.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've done BL and GD and to be honest I'm a bit tired of the game. I've just sarted CF and I'm at 70h and everything feels so... samey. I've heard the Church route starts from a ramification in the Crimson Flower route. Does this mean I can save before this roadcone and then skip half of the game for the last route, or do I need to start from the beggining again for the fourth playthrough?

Also, I think the Black Eagles have the best waifus, because in BL I S-Supported Petra and in GD, Bernadetta. It's like I needed to "import" the waifus from their house.
Understandable as you have played 70 hours of it.
That makes really want start new Route as soon as possible and get Rhea to level S this time.
She's cute when she isn't wearing her dumb outfit.

Komatsu

Crimson Flower (Black Eagles/Edelgard) is by far the best route. Especially when you recruit everybody.

If you attack Gilbert using Annette during the final battle, his pathos and despair as he faces his own daughter is incredible: “Oh Goddess, why have you forsaken me?”

That said, as one of the IS developers said on a stream/whatever on Nico, Crimson Flower is Three Houses’ “explanation” route - like Heaven’s Feel in “Fate/Stay Night” - and as such should probably be played last.

mcz117chief

No she doesn't burn villages to the ground in any other route.
But she stands there watching her soldiers get slaughtered calling her name without even blinking and then maniacally kills Nemesis, that is pretty fucked up, yo.

That said, as one of the IS developers said on a stream/whatever on Nico, Crimson Flower is Three Houses’ “explanation” route - like Heaven’s Feel in “Fate/Stay Night” - and as such should probably be played last.

Really? Hahaha! Because that route literally told me exactly nothing about WTF is going on :D

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But she stands there watching her soldiers get slaughtered calling her name without even blinking and then maniacally kills Nemesis, that is pretty fucked up, yo.
She was seething with rage there after a thief stole parts of her mum to make Ivy's Soul Calibur sword!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
She was seething with rage there after a thief stole parts of her mum to make Ivy's Soul Calibur sword!
But that’s the thing her mom is much more important than all humanity and willing to destroy all for her mom sake. In that way I understand Edelgard side. You can’t exactly intrust the world to someone one who for most part looks down on humanity. Again I only finished one Route, but she trying to find the way to revive her mom, that’s the feeling I got playing Edelgard’s Route.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But that’s the thing her mom is much more important than all humanity and willing to destroy all for her mom sake. In that way I understand Edelgard side. You can’t exactly intrust the world to someone one who for most part looks down on humanity. Again I only finished one Route, but she trying to find the way to revive her mom, that’s the feeling I got playing Edelgard’s Route.
Well yeah! You played the route where she is the bad guy!

Shaqazooloo

I'm very disappointed with Hubert and Edelgard's reaction to being chosen as your dancer. I thought it would be funny enough to make me stick with the Edelgard route but it looks like I'm gonna do church route for now.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

So, um, i'm still addicted to this game. I'm on 200 hours in my 2nd playthrough (church) im at chapter 16. A little disappointed it hasn't really branched off (in terms of map design and story somewhat) from blue lions but I don't mind that much, I like the extra exposition.

Still not a fan of Edelgard and i'm quite surprised they didn't make more of an effort of making her look like at least somewhat of a good guy before the time skip. Made my decision easier though.

By the time i'm done with game i'm gonna have 400 hours or something. It's almost caught up to Smash bros in playtime.

kiiltz

Still not a fan of Edelgard and i'm quite surprised they didn't make more of an effort of making her look like at least somewhat of a good guy before the time skip.
Most of Edelgard's quirks and qualities are revealed in her supports and post-timeskip half because she doesn't trust anyone, half because she always expected to come up against Byleth. For the most part, Edelgard isn't meant to look like a good guy. That isn't to say she's suppose to be a bad guy but rather, because her character is heavily grounded in something political, depending on who you agree with she could be seen as good or bad (not too dissimilar to Napoleon or Che Guevara). There's also the fact that Edelgard herself doesn't see herself as a good person and knows that everyone will hate her for starting the war

the fact that she called me "my teacher" didn't help either.
She just calls you "Sensei" in Japanese. It's a shitty translation that's suppose to be a term of endearment (my love, my dear, my friend, etc) and an exposition on how Bylethsexual Edelgard is but due to it falling out of use in colloquial speech, especially in regards to titles, it comes off as creepy and cringey.

Maybe I'm the only one who kind agrees with Edelgard
No, there were people who played Blue Lions first and still agreed with Edelgard.

Top Bottom