• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Is it really good?

TitanNut88

I’m recently quite out of gaming because lack of time so I try that, the time I play, I really enjoy it.

I have lots of games on my backlog and I started with Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but I don’t like it. I think it is too complicated for me. Too much things. I don’t like the battle system. I don’t like the calendar approach (though I liked it in Persona 5). It’s not even easy for me to understand the inventory system. Is it me or the game?

I would really love to enjoy it because I’m sure it’s an extraordinary game but I think it is not for me. And same applies for lots of games I tried recently and quickly abandoned.

Sad times for me...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You don't like what you don't like, there is no need to force it, I personally loved the game but I can understand is not gonna be everyone's cup of tea.

Hudo

Hey man, it's OK to not like a game. If you don't like it, don't waste your time "trying to like it". Just play something else. Not every game is for everyone.
Same principle can be extended to the common argument of "dude, the game gets good after XX hours!". Fucking no, man. If I don't like a game within 2 hours, why the fuck would I waste my time further? Then a game just isn't for me.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
It's a tough call. Sometimes it's just the mood you are in. I tried starting Demon's Souls on PS3 three times, and each time it was just not clicking. Felt like a chore. I didn't understand how people could put up with it, which sucked because I kept hearing how great it was. Then on the fourth attempt, I got past the slime-spear boss and then kept playing, and playing, and playing. In the end, it became one of my favorite games of the generation.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hades is a fun game. Have you tried Final Fantasy XII on the Switch? Seeing that you have Vaan as your avatar and all. Fire Emblem can be a lot of fun, but once you get the basics down - a lot of the fights feel the same. You really have to focus on strengths and weaknesses. Which weapon is more powerful than the other weapon. You can bond with characters to strengthen their attack. I had a lot of time with the 3DS Fire Emblems. I didn’t get the Switch game because it was more of the same thing. If I ever get in the mood for it then I might get the Switch game. It’s one of those series where I could pick it up, but I have to be in the mood for it. They’re popular when they come out and then you don’t hear a lot about them.

I remember people were enjoying the music and some quick puns here and there. It would be a lot more interesting if the popularity of it all stayed longer than it does. It’s easier to reference something in a group than read what’s already been mastered. Maybe read up on some guides online or find a beginner’s tutorial online. Wait a while and see if you enjoy it later.

It reminds me of a battle I had in Fire Emblem Birthright on 3DS. The whole game was going smoothly, I was like 3-4 chapters away from finishing the game. I had to move my way up a mountain. It was the most tedious battle and it really wasn’t fun anymore. To this day, I really don’t want to fight that one battle. It’s not uncommon for feelings/emotions to change. Maybe they’ll lead you to a game that you actually enjoy?

cormack12

Gold Member
How far are you in? It doesnt really get good until you start fighting the demonic beasts. Until then it can be a bit slow.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
381a73f2ae6e8986f979c50487844d49.jpg

Best part of the game... Sothis

sothis.jpg

D.Final

Banned
I’m recently quite out of gaming because lack of time so I try that, the time I play, I really enjoy it.

I have lots of games on my backlog and I started with Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but I don’t like it. I think it is too complicated for me. Too much things. I don’t like the battle system. I don’t like the calendar approach (though I liked it in Persona 5). It’s not even easy for me to understand the inventory system. Is it me or the game?

I would really love to enjoy it because I’m sure it’s an extraordinary game but I think it is not for me. And same applies for lots of games I tried recently and quickly abandoned.

Sad times for me...
If you like Fire Emblem, yes.
It's good

Sejan

It’s a great game, but like any game it only increases in complexity as it goes.

It’s ok to realize that you don’t like a game and duck out early. If your time is at a premium, spend it on experiences you enjoy rather than trying to enjoy experiences you don’t.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Sad times for me...
OP I haven't played it, but it's not even in my radar for now since they focused too much on that school thing instead of battles before the game came out, I just want to so the battles and so... If someone confirms me that you can do random battles without having to rely on story i'll reconsider it for this year.

Pejo

The battles are fun, but running around the school and flirting with people killed the game for me. I never even made it to the timeskip.

Bit_Reactor

Fire Emblem Three Houses is a good middle ground between the gameplay of Fates and the story focus of Echoes.

The issue comes from the three house structure and how they do piss all with the routes and leave major parts of the story out of each.

The CHARACTER writing is top notch and all the support convos and ambient dialogue of the characters is second only to Echoes imo. Fleshes out the world and the story and motivations of all the characters extremely well. The sacrifice made here though is in its plot writing, which ends up being really weak in a lot of the routes and requires you do to a lot of mental gymnastics to really get the most out of it.

This isn't helped by the fact that you spend 99% of the game running around the exact same map in the exact same way between major chapters, and the lack of travel, other maps to explore, and use of static/warped backgrounds instead of any substantial animated cutscenes outside of like 3 really make the world feel small and not at all on the scale FE usually is despite them usually just sliding chibis across a map.

The Three Lords are all fantastic imo, with their own flaws and motivations. The issue comes from the main plot not doing a lot to justify those motivations because the entire supporting cast has to basically pretend like those plots don't exist to make way for their support convos and interactions in other cutscenes.

They set up the three route structure kind of odd in the sense that there's "sort of" changes in the pre timeskip story but going through the pre-timeskip story 3-4 times to get ALL the routes becomes really tiresome, and Gareg Mach just isn't interesting enough to justify trudging through it that many times to get to the good lore.

tl;dr Characters and gameplay good, plot has potential but misses the mark on execution, and while the mechanics aren't as interesting as say Fates:Conquest, they provide "enough" interesting gameplay variety.

Marvel14

Banned
Come back to the game when you have more time....and you're into a story driven adventure..it takes some effort to get to grips with the inventory and character acquisition systems...and the character stories are worth delving into.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Ive been really hard on Nintendo lately and rightfully so.

But three houses absolutely is a game where lots of effort has gone into and is absolutely worth your time.
Lots of replay value and lots of fun to play and master.

Areiz

Banned
I'm enjoying my time with it. And if you have the patience to make a good strategy for your team can give you a nice overall experience

Top Bottom