• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (NES) Announced for Switch

The blowback on Mother 3 would be massive. Bigger than gamergate, Persona/Catherine, Cyberpunk, Ion Fury etc. all of that would look microscopic in comparison.

If I had to make a comparison it would be to Song of the South.
What is so bad about Mother 3 that would cause such a reaction? I remember playing the translation years ago and don't recall anything so egregious.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
What is so bad about Mother 3 that would cause such a reaction? I remember playing the translation years ago and don't recall anything so egregious.
I guess it's the Magypsies. They would be an easy target for the "Woke" people, and maybe some conservative religious zealots. But i guess the latter would be less likely these days.

A handful of things... There is a growing number of vocal people amongst the Twitter/ResetEra/Polygon/Vice/Kotaku crowd that has complained about content in Japanese games. In some cases this has resulted in localization changes. Atlus was attacked for Persona 5 and Catherine's handling of trans-sexual characters in the original English releases. This resulted in some changes in Royal/Full Body's US localizations which was labeled "not good enough" by those who lobbed the initial complaints. Similarly there were a lot of complaints about "dead naming" in Deadly Premonition 3 resulting in a patch. All of that to say there is a loud, influential, and growing number of people in the gaming sphere who are expressing their disdain for Japanese media that does not hold to a very specific set of Western values that is not even wholly indicative of how the whole of the West believes. I think a lot of this is lost in translation if you will-Japan's outlook on crossdressing, LGBT, and related topics differs greatly from the US. People in the US perceive it as an attack on their perception of sexuality when Japan isn't thinking about that at all.

Nintendo avoids controversy at all costs and treads carefully to not offend anyones. Even still, they have come under fire in recent years. Fire Emblem: Three Houses was considered "not gay enough" as it lacked same sex romance options for every character. There were some that labeled Mario's Sombrero in Odyssey as cultural appropriation. Xenoblade 2 was criticized for sexualized anime girls. The eShop/Nintendo's licensing has also been accosted for allowing uncensored games (compared to PS4 releases). Most recently Nintendo elected to leverage the censored US release of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the Switch port-easier to release one version that conforms to global standards rather than porting the uncensored version in Japan and the censored version in the US. I'm sure there are other controversies-a cursory search for "Nintendo" and "problematic" on Twitter or ResetEra would probably yield more. Some of these complaints aren't garnering attention but the complaints are getting louder. All of that said, the blowback would be pretty rough on Mother 3. A few videos and screenshots of the issues I am aware of from the fan translation below. I have never actually played the game so there are probably other things that would contribute to the issue.

iPFr5CW.png

lhc6lEq.png

Spoilers-not familiar with the YouTuber and haven't watched it all myself but scrubbed through it and it seems like he hits on most of the stuff:

Last edited:

oagboghi2

The blowback on Mother 3 would be massive. Bigger than gamergate, Persona/Catherine, Cyberpunk, Ion Fury etc. all of that would look microscopic in comparison.

If I had to make a comparison it would be to Song of the South.
Oh please it would be internet drama for a week, and then people would move on

Of all the games in the series that they could localize, they chose the game in the series thats been remade already, AND its a limited release for literally no reason. Watch, next games gonna be Gaiden even though they already remade that, limited release too, then theyre gonna pull a chibi robo and say "clearly no one wants us to localize these games because they're selling poorly" ignoring the fact that the circumstances that they're making it in are the worst

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Of all the games in the series that they could localize, they chose the game in the series thats been remade already, AND its a limited release for literally no reason. Watch, next games gonna be Gaiden even though they already remade that, limited release too, then theyre gonna pull a chibi robo and say "clearly no one wants us to localize these games because they're selling poorly" ignoring the fact that the circumstances that they're making it in are the worst
My thoughts below. I think it helps the localization work was already mostly done for the DS release. I’m surprised Nintendo, much less NOA, is doing anything for the 30th at all. I’d love to have the Super Famicom games translated.

This is just Nintendo giving a little nod to FE’s 30th anniversary with the original Famicom title playable in its original form for the first time in English, nothing more than that. Nintendo of Japan didn’t do anything to celebrate the the anniversary other two save states to the Famicom game on NSO back in April. I’m surprised NOA did anything at all much less a full collectors edition.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Any chance of getting one on release day? I’m missing out on every chance to preorder online.
No idea what the situation is. They seem to be very limited. No idea how many they printed but it would not surprise me if they undershoot on such a niche title. Amazon hasn't listed it yet. If you're willing to put up with the notifications you could follow Wario64 or Nintendeal w/ push notifications.

Wondering how the Game & Watch situation this week is going to go. No pre-orders at all for that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Target went up and sold out instantly. A little nervous about my GameStop order. They are slow to ship and they didn’t package the Game & Watch very well.

Thanks to you I managed to order one from amazon.

200.gif

Target went up and sold out instantly. A little nervous about my GameStop order. They are slow to ship and they didn’t package the Game & Watch very well.

I saw that Target was up. I would guess that packaging for this would be better than G & W due to size. Let me go check the mail for mine, been out all day.

Game & Watch was shoved in my box in a strange cardboard envelope. The tshirts I ordered from another store were not...go figure.

G & W was in a cardboard envelope. I opened it and it looked fine. I would expect FE to come in a box due to the size of it. G & W was small and they tried to save money on the shipping. I think it will be okay.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
G & W was in a cardboard envelope. I opened it and it looked fine. I would expect FE to come in a box due to the size of it. G & W was small and they tried to save money on the shipping. I think it will be okay.
My Game & Watch was fine as well. The Mario sleeve is neat. Glad it didn’t get crushed. Hoping Fire Emblem arrives intact.

I’d like to get one of these, but I’m not heartbroken if I miss out. These things sell out so fast, I’m always surprised Nintendo doesn’t just do a second or third run.

Camreezie

A handful of things... There is a growing number of vocal people amongst the Twitter/ResetEra/Polygon/Vice/Kotaku crowd that has complained about content in Japanese games. In some cases this has resulted in localization changes. Atlus was attacked for Persona 5 and Catherine's handling of trans-sexual characters in the original English releases. This resulted in some changes in Royal/Full Body's US localizations which was labeled "not good enough" by those who lobbed the initial complaints. Similarly there were a lot of complaints about "dead naming" in Deadly Premonition 3 resulting in a patch. All of that to say there is a loud, influential, and growing number of people in the gaming sphere who are expressing their disdain for Japanese media that does not hold to a very specific set of Western values that is not even wholly indicative of how the whole of the West believes. I think a lot of this is lost in translation if you will-Japan's outlook on crossdressing, LGBT, and related topics differs greatly from the US. People in the US perceive it as an attack on their perception of sexuality when Japan isn't thinking about that at all.

Nintendo avoids controversy at all costs and treads carefully to not offend anyones. Even still, they have come under fire in recent years. Fire Emblem: Three Houses was considered "not gay enough" as it lacked same sex romance options for every character. There were some that labeled Mario's Sombrero in Odyssey as cultural appropriation. Xenoblade 2 was criticized for sexualized anime girls. The eShop/Nintendo's licensing has also been accosted for allowing uncensored games (compared to PS4 releases). Most recently Nintendo elected to leverage the censored US release of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the Switch port-easier to release one version that conforms to global standards rather than porting the uncensored version in Japan and the censored version in the US. I'm sure there are other controversies-a cursory search for "Nintendo" and "problematic" on Twitter or ResetEra would probably yield more. Some of these complaints aren't garnering attention but the complaints are getting louder. All of that said, the blowback would be pretty rough on Mother 3. A few videos and screenshots of the issues I am aware of from the fan translation below. I have never actually played the game so there are probably other things that would contribute to the issue.

iPFr5CW.png

lhc6lEq.png

Spoilers-not familiar with the YouTuber and haven't watched it all myself but scrubbed through it and it seems like he hits on most of the stuff:

No fucking way is it actually called PK Rape

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
No fucking way is it actually called PK Rape
I didn't catch that. Seems like some people decided to name it that in what appears to be a rom hack. It is actually called PK Love. There's still a bit of a sexual joke to the whole situation similar to how other pieces of Japanese media make those sorts of jokes. Updating with a better video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom