• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (NES) Announced for Switch

Shifty1897

0iRN4F4.jpg

Day One

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
0iRN4F4.jpg

Day One
As great as it would be to get Mother 3 in the West it just isn't in the cards. The game is a localization nightmare, especially with the current climate around topics of sexual preferences, race, gender, fascism, and sexual assault. It would be a huge controversy to release that game today.

Should it be? No. The game is harmless. But that is the reality of the world we live in.

As I understand it Nintendo looked into porting this game back during the Wii U/3DS era and eventually scrapped the plans when it became apparent how it would be received in America.

Needlecrash

Sad.

The Japanese version is on Famicom Online for the Switch. While I'm stoked that there's an OFFICIAL translated release, I can't help but wonder if this is Nintendo being lazy.

As great as it would be to get Mother 3 in the West it just isn't in the cards. The game is a localization nightmare, especially with the current climate around topics of sexual preferences, race, gender, fascism, and sexual assault. It would be a huge controversy to release that game today.

Should it be? No. The game is harmless. But that is the reality of the world we live in.

As I understand it Nintendo looked into porting this game back during the Wii U/3DS era and eventually scrapped the plans when it became apparent how it would be received in America.

You're 100% right. I played it for the first time earlier this year and it all came off as a very innocent adventure, but we know how an American audience would react. If they censor or change anything you get another group of people ready to get outraged so it's a lose-lose situation for Nintendo.

TLZ

Banned
Man this is cool they're doing this for a Japan only game. Now I only wish someone would do the same for the Captain Tsubasa games left in Japan on NES and SNES :(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Don’t really do collectors editions especially when it’s just a box of stuff and doesn’t even include the game.

Totally in for the $6 package though!

theclaw135

Banned
Sad.

The Japanese version is on Famicom Online for the Switch. While I'm stoked that there's an OFFICIAL translated release, I can't help but wonder if this is Nintendo being lazy.

The jury is still out. Nintendo did not claim or represent in any way that the new translation is, in fact, running on NES hardware.

Futaleufu

For a limited time, no physical release? How convenient for Nintendo. Your purchase is only good as long as they decide to support your platform. Next-gen? Start all over again.

Dodo123

That's disappointing - it should be included in the NSO subscription. And a limited digital release again? Nintendo is worrying me.

This limited time window to get digital releases is some of the silliest shit nintendo has done in a while.

I can't cosign it. Any game that Nintendo does this with is an instant no buy for me. Artificial scarcity for digital files of old games is completely absurd.

Hudo

Nice CE contents, but the rule stands - No physical copy, no buy.

Swing and a miss, N.

P.S. Physical release of Radiant games on Switch pls. Will offer my wallet as tribute.
Yeah, I was excited as hell but then I realized that the physical "special edition" doesn't include the game on a cartridge... what a fucking waste.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
It only show coming soon. Does it means it sold out already?
I believe so. I would try mobile app. Sometimes that works better for Best Buy.

I managed to preorder on GameStop yesterday but couldn't get one from Best Buy as a back up. Will be trying Amazon whenever that one goes live too. My GameStop order is listed as "Awaiting product availability" so hoping it doesn't get canceled.

Hopefully there are enough of these printed to satisfy demand.

Komatsu

Exhausted by Nintendo's lazy rehashing of their backlog. We already got a very solid remake of Shadow Dragon for the DS in 2009. They're literally releasing the translated NES version and asking us to pay premium money for it. I've been an FE fan for decades but the physical edition, though beautiful, doesn't entice me. I have the original famicom cart. Might buy the digital version anyway as I'm a chump...

HF2014

Interesting. But, not sure ill get into, but good stuff from die hard fans tbh. Love Awakening, but it seem its the only game i liked from this serie, so cannot really consider myself a hardcore fan.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Yes the DS version is the superior version too.

We would all be happy to purchase more of Nintendo’s back catalog. If they translated the other titles and ported them to Switch I’d be there day 1. Even more so if they had that same sense of security with back compat that Xbox has right now.

Unfortunately Nintendo isn’t interested in pushing their back catalog out all at once. This is just Nintendo giving a little nod to FE’s 30th anniversary with the original Famicom title playable in its original form for the first time in English, nothing more than that. Nintendo of Japan didn’t do anything to celebrate the the anniversary other two save states to the Famicom game on NSO back in April. I’m surprised NOA did anything at all much less a full collectors edition.

We would all be happy to purchase more of Nintendo’s back catalog. If they translated the other titles and ported them to Switch I’d be there day 1. Even more so if they had that same sense of security with back compat that Xbox has right now.

Unfortunately Nintendo isn’t interested in pushing their back catalog out all at once. This is just Nintendo giving a little nod to FE’s 30th anniversary with the original Famicom title playable in its original form for the first time in English, nothing more than that. Nintendo of Japan didn’t do anything to celebrate the the anniversary other two save states to the Famicom game on NSO back in April. I’m surprised NOA did anything at all much less a full collectors edition.

I totally agree. I’d even be happy if they gave us a DS player to play the games on the tv like the Game Boy player and Super Game Boy.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I totally agree. I’d even be happy if they gave us a DS player to play the games on the tv like the Game Boy player and Super Game Boy.
Yeah I’d buy a controller w touch screen in a heartbeat. Would be up for a bunch of ROM dumps as well. Funny for all of the “no new games just lazy port/rom collection” posts Nintendo really doesn’t release near as much of that content as they could.

mcjmetroid

Well here's the thing. Shadow DS was a remake of that game and it was one of the worst fire emblem games ive owned.

If they couldn't even remake it to be as good as the contemporary games it doesn't bode well for the original with its few tweaks theyve done.

It's a no from me.

theclaw135

Banned

Hmm. We are overlooking that this upgraded version of the game is not available in Japan.

I'm not a fan nor do I really want this (but completely understand why people do) but even I'm disappointed the "physical edition" doesn't come with an actual physical Switch cart and is just a Download code.

What a joke.

Last edited:
Well here's the thing. Shadow DS was a remake of that game and it was one of the worst fire emblem games ive owned.

If they couldn't even remake it to be as good as the contemporary games it doesn't bode well for the original with its few tweaks theyve done.

It's a no from me.

Real talk - the vast majority of NES games are downright painful to play now. Even with nostalgia, nobody has been able to tell me they enjoy playing the original Metroid with a straight face.

Just looking at that battle interface for Fire Emblem. No numbers anywhere - are we expected to count the blips manually? If I am missing something please let me know but I don’t even see movement range, enemy range, damage calc, etc. Is this Count In Your Head simulator? I have to ask why even bother with this in 2020. Somehow they put in turn rewind and haven’t added basic UI elements that they added the remake.

Real talk - the vast majority of NES games are downright painful to play now. Even with nostalgia, nobody has been able to tell me they enjoy playing the original Metroid with a straight face.

Just looking at that battle interface for Fire Emblem. No numbers anywhere - are we expected to count the blips manually? If I am missing something please let me know but I don’t even see movement range, enemy range, damage calc, etc. Is this Count In Your Head simulator? I have to ask why even bother with this in 2020. Somehow they put in turn rewind and haven’t added basic UI elements that they added the remake.

I enjoy the original Metroid and most classic NES games. SNES games have held up better though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
We have games that deal with this kind of thing already though?

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
We have games that deal with this kind of thing already though?

The blowback on Mother 3 would be massive. Bigger than gamergate, Persona/Catherine, Cyberpunk, Ion Fury etc. all of that would look microscopic in comparison.

If I had to make a comparison it would be to Song of the South.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The blowback on Mother 3 would be massive. Bigger than gamergate, Persona/Catherine, Cyberpunk, Ion Fury etc. all of that would look microscopic in comparison.

If I had to make a comparison it would be to Song of the South.
There are things out rn that have won awards (across all forms of media) which have far more disturbing content than Mother 3. I think it is sad how little Nintendo (of America) thinks of their fanbase. They think everyone is either a literal child or a purple haired loon.

Jeeves

This is cool, although I'm not a big enough FE fan to want to play this one...wake me up when they do FE4 though.

Also...still not a fan of limited digital release. At all.
There are things out rn that have won awards (across all forms of media) which have far more disturbing content than Mother 3. I think it is sad how little Nintendo (of America) thinks of their fanbase. They think everyone is either a literal child or a purple haired loon.
Unfortunately those are the groups that can get them in trouble. Every year the game becomes less and less suitable for NA release. Maybe one day when the world's a little more sane.

Top Bottom