• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finished Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5(first time playing) and some thoughts on the game

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I didn't play it when it first came out, I vowed to wait until it came to PS5. Didn't want to deal with the bugs. So my perspective comes without ever dealing with the early release.

What I liked:

I thought Night City was maybe the most impressive open world city ever created in a game. I actually looked and felt like a real city. It felt lively, it felt populated, it felt organic. It didn't feel cut and pasted. It was gorgeous to look at. Pedestrians/NPCs on the streets, traffic, buildings with lights at night. I was always in awe running around the city and experiencing it and not talking just with the graphics. Never really experienced that in modern game before. There have been games that have had better graphics than Cyberpunk, but none that captured the feel of a live city like this game did.

Thought they captured the feel of a futuristic society well and how things would go if technology was integrated into humans and society like it could be. I liked how it was part of the lore, dialogue, and mission structure.

Many of the side quests I completed didn't feel like throwaway missions or fetch quests. They felt like there was a point to them other than just filler.

Combat was pretty solid and smooth. Loved the smart weapons and bullets tracking and how well it worked.

Liked crafting, the large amount of weapon and armor types, the wide range you can play with your character based on the skill trees.

Thought the characters were interesting for the most part. Really liked Panam, Rogue, Judy, and of course Johnny. Thought they were actually better than V was.

Thought the story was actually interesting. Your relationship with Johnny, the different paths you can choose on your main quest.

What I disliked:

V. I played as a male. His voice actor annoyed me, not really sure why. Maybe it's because his voice felt like it was trying too hard to be rugged with the almost Michael Madsen sounding voice. I think he would've been more likable and personable if it didn't come off so forced.

Having to wait around for characters to call you seemingly at random to activate some quests. I looked up the triggers for these quests and I did everything I was supposed to and many still didn't work, then several hours later I'd randomly get a call to initiate a quest. What if you want to move on to other games? Then you can't do the quests because for no reason you simply can't start them until the game decides it's time.

Driving was annoying and clunky. Now I know why in all the gameplay videos I saw, everyone was driving in 3rd person view. It's so hard to see in first person view. I had to switch too eventually to avoid keeping adjusting the camera.

Lack of a notable antagonist. It was really some characters you don't really get to deal with all that often, and "Adam Smasher" who you see once in flashback scenarios and then not again until the final mission. I didn't care about Adam Smasher because there was no emotional build up.

You can reset perk points, but not attribute points. Seems counter productive. Either do both or neither. It would allow you to respec your character midway through if you want to use a different style of play rather than starting a whole new game.

Didn't like having to go back to ripperdocs to swap out parts. I get why they did it continuity-wise, but it was very inconvenient.

Didn't like having to go to machines to fast travel. Just let me do it from anywhere. You already put so many of them in the damn game anyway, just save me the 2 minutes running to the nearest one and let me do it from anywhere.

Overall, very positive experience. Think it has a lot of potential if they ever plan to do more with this franchise.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I played through it recently aswell. If you stick to the story missions it’s a 7/10 for me. The open World is incredibly poor against its peers though imo. Such a missed opportunity. Glad they’re just moving on to a new Witcher.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yea. I really liked it too. Ripping people apart with my surgically implanted swords in a really unique and interesting setting was fun. Shame that they felt they had to ship this on old hardware because the launch experience on PC was fine IMO.

ManaByte

Yea. I really liked it too. Ripping people apart with my surgically implanted swords in a really unique and interesting setting was fun. Shame that they felt they had to ship this on old hardware because the launch experience on PC was fine IMO.

Sadly that created the false narrative that the game was broken because it wouldn't run on your 2013 Jaguar-powered video game console, when the next-gen consoles and PC ran it just fine. It's good to see people are finally realizing it's a good game and not the disaster shit-take trolls continue to label it as.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I played on PC and it was my favorite game of 2020 despite the bugs and rough edges. It’s sad there was so much negativity around this game. I think lots of people got the impression that it was a complete piece of trash when really it was a kickass game with some bugs and (on consoles) some atrocious performance.

I’m greatly anticipating a second play through whenever the DLC releases

Guilty_AI

Game has its flaws, but the medium is starved for cyberpunk games (especially large scale ones) so i really appreciate something like CP2077.

Last edited:
I played through it recently aswell. If you stick to the story missions it’s a 7/10 for me. The open World is incredibly poor against its peers though imo. Such a missed opportunity. Glad they’re just moving on to a new Witcher.

I'm all about dat linear, narrative driven experience so sounds great for me

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I too played through it recently.

Jackie is the only likeable character in the whole game. The story is a snooze fest and the gameplay if just ok. 6 out of 10 for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sadly that created the false narrative that the game was broken because it wouldn't run on your 2013 Jaguar-powered video game console, when the next-gen consoles and PC ran it just fine. It's good to see people are finally realizing it's a good game and not the disaster shit-take trolls continue to label it as.
Yeah, those 120M+ console owners for which the game was promised to run. Totally false narrative. Those damn trolls were upset about that. I really hope this stupid take is an April Fools Day joke.

Saber

Gold Member
Honestly I played, tried to platinum but my game bugged so I dropped.
Overall a mix bag. The male character voice sounds really forced. Like some stupid cartoons where a character wants to sound "cool". Its terrible, the character should sound natural. The female is just a bit better.

So far the story is a hit and miss. The start is fantastic! Doing that specific missions after the first event and against Maelstorm was amazing and I found myself enjoying my choices. But after the chip thing, when Jonny appears, everything falls short. The story doesn't get any better and instead I feel like a stupid trying to seeing how much of pain the main character do to archieve its goal(survival), just to pathetically fail.

Gameplay sounds fair. I loved that I could simply do my hacking build with a pistol support(hacking is very fun...when it works). Also, the stealth helps alot. The guns well...my gripe with it is that guns are aways different in damage, so its pointless to just choose a specific gun when harder enemies will just drop stronger ones. I think guns should have the same base damage and the only way to increase their damage is through perks, effects and chips.

The most terrible thing in this game I think is...the amount of unecessary stuff it tries to emulate. Why the heck should I be looking to 40 futuristic ads and lots of random people that will serve me no purpose whatsoever? Also, some of ads are pretty damn stupid.

The hud is ugly and the damage feedback is freaking terrible. Sometimes I only know I'm taking damage when my health is critical. And don't get me start on the annoying stupid chip malfunction effect on your daily basis. Worst idea I ever saw.

Characters are...mostly fine I think. Its rare to find a character I don't like(the bar gal I don't like), but mostly felt like were doing everything to not be terrible. I wished they had more charming and natural personalities. Your boss from the first scene in the Corpo seems like to have a good character personality(don't give a shit, he do all to reach his goals). Something Witcher 3 strives, every character have a charming and notable personality.

Its not a bad game. But sure is not what people praises to be. Probably would give more chances, but wasting my time because of bugs is not fun at all.

Last edited:

Belthazar

The game was released as a $60 product for the 2013 hardware... running well on it is the bare minimum. It WAS a disaster for a good portion of the people that paid good money for it. They even went out of their way to hide how the game was on console until launch, which caused a huge disconnect to what reviewers (who played the PC version) said and what most of the audience experienced.

Last edited:

IOP782001

Neo Member
I didn't play it when it first came out, I vowed to wait until it came to PS5. Didn't want to deal with the bugs. So my perspective comes without ever dealing with the early release.

What I liked:

I thought Night City was maybe the most impressive open world city ever created in a game. I actually looked and felt like a real city. It felt lively, it felt populated, it felt organic. It didn't feel cut and pasted. It was gorgeous to look at. Pedestrians/NPCs on the streets, traffic, buildings with lights at night. I was always in awe running around the city and experiencing it and not talking just with the graphics. Never really experienced that in modern game before. There have been games that have had better graphics than Cyberpunk, but none that captured the feel of a live city like this game did.

Thought they captured the feel of a futuristic society well and how things would go if technology was integrated into humans and society like it could be. I liked how it was part of the lore, dialogue, and mission structure.

Many of the side quests I completed didn't feel like throwaway missions or fetch quests. They felt like there was a point to them other than just filler.

Combat was pretty solid and smooth. Loved the smart weapons and bullets tracking and how well it worked.

Liked crafting, the large amount of weapon and armor types, the wide range you can play with your character based on the skill trees.

Thought the characters were interesting for the most part. Really liked Panam, Rogue, Judy, and of course Johnny. Thought they were actually better than V was.

Thought the story was actually interesting. Your relationship with Johnny, the different paths you can choose on your main quest.

What I disliked:

V. I played as a male. His voice actor annoyed me, not really sure why. Maybe it's because his voice felt like it was trying too hard to be rugged with the almost Michael Madsen sounding voice. I think he would've been more likable and personable if it didn't come off so forced.

Having to wait around for characters to call you seemingly at random to activate some quests. I looked up the triggers for these quests and I did everything I was supposed to and many still didn't work, then several hours later I'd randomly get a call to initiate a quest. What if you want to move on to other games? Then you can't do the quests because for no reason you simply can't start them until the game decides it's time.

Driving was annoying and clunky. Now I know why in all the gameplay videos I saw, everyone was driving in 3rd person view. It's so hard to see in first person view. I had to switch too eventually to avoid keeping adjusting the camera.

Lack of a notable antagonist. It was really some characters you don't really get to deal with all that often, and "Adam Smasher" who you see once in flashback scenarios and then not again until the final mission. I didn't care about Adam Smasher because there was no emotional build up.

You can reset perk points, but not attribute points. Seems counter productive. Either do both or neither. It would allow you to respec your character midway through if you want to use a different style of play rather than starting a whole new game.

Didn't like having to go back to ripperdocs to swap out parts. I get why they did it continuity-wise, but it was very inconvenient.

Didn't like having to go to machines to fast travel. Just let me do it from anywhere. You already put so many of them in the damn game anyway, just save me the 2 minutes running to the nearest one and let me do it from anywhere.

Overall, very positive experience. Think it has a lot of potential if they ever plan to do more with this franchise.
good to hear something more positive about the game

yansolo

i tried it again from the beginning with the latest patch but still disliked it (had previously played 30ish hours) and axed it after a few hours, i think the game is innately flawed and no patch can save it

i couldnt stand V as a character either, his tone and delivery was off, the whole tone of the game is just too wacky, dialogue is weak. Everything including cutscenes being first person view makes it so boring to watch, a couple times i nearly dozed off.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I thought Night City was maybe the most impressive open world city ever created in a game. I actually looked and felt like a real city. It felt lively, it felt populated, it felt organic. It didn't feel cut and pasted. It was gorgeous to look at. Pedestrians/NPCs on the streets, traffic, buildings with lights at night. I was always in awe running around the city and experiencing it and not talking just with the graphics.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I just platted the game a few days ago.

I liked the city, (the map for it is god awful tho), but the npc's leave a lot to be desired. There's lots of them in certain places, but they do nothing . Walk down the street and they disappeared. Watch them and they go round in circles, or head to the nearest wall and stop. I'd love more day/night npc cycles like in RDR2

Driving on the whole was terrible. Bikes were better but still floaty. There were 2 cars I bought in the badlands, the coyote and something else that handled well (even on dirt in the badlands), had decent speed and breaking, so I used them constantly and ignored everything else

Female v seemed a much better choice than male v. I missed out on romancing panam, but I guess I got Judy instead, but spoiler, no matter what, Judy leaves you in the end, whereas some of the endings let you stay with panam at least

Had no issue with waiting for missions to pop up in game, it even says in the journal "wait at least 24 hours for panam to call you" or whomever...so I filled that time with NCPD jobs, gigs or side jobs.

Sleeping gives you a XP boost for an hour of real time, not in game time

Leveling athletics is a pain unless you run everywhere and only punch, and from what I oukd work out, only levels as you deplete your stamina, so getting the perks for dodging and running not costing stamina actually hinders you, not help

I ran as pure netrunner/crafting, with anything extra going into smg's/smart guns. This build also helps you get godly amount of Eddie's with the access points adding up very quickly. Had no issues buying all the cars for the trophy.

It was still buggy, and it did crash occasionally, tho I admit I was playing in long stints, where as before it would hard crash after about 90 mins~, it'd be about 4or5 hours now, and there were tell tale signs it was gonna happen so was able to save well in time

Only real issue I had was there was no urgency. Told right from the start after the chip went in and keanu turned up I was dying and had very little time left. I spent time just fucking about, doing nothing but checking stuff out, going after the legendary outfits and finding the hidden boxes/chests with perk shards in. Never had johnny tell me off, or uncle Japanese guy call me saying he's waiting at the damned diner for a month now, hurry the fuck up... and someone up above said there was no big bad evil dude, I agree, I wasn't invested in Adam smasher, amd when he turned up, my short circuit quickhack was so overpowered, and reset so quick, and the shotgun I was using took him down in about 30 seconds. This was the guy rogue and Johnny couldn't go up against for 50 years? Johnny was dead, granted, but rogue was queen of the city, which had got herself a military bomber by the end of the game. She couldn't have got info on smashers whereabouts and wiped him off the earth? Meh...

Anyway, I enjoyed it, 7/10, thank god for purple pants or I'd have been nude in the shower!! Not like I couldn't see my tits and heart shaped pubes if I just went to the damned mirror! 🙄

Last edited:
I just platted the game a few days ago.

I liked the city, (the map for it is god awful tho), but the npc's leave a lot to be desired. There's lots of them in certain places, but they do nothing . Walk down the street and they disappeared. Watch them and they go round in circles, or head to the nearest wall and stop. I'd love more day/night npc cycles like in RDR2

Driving on the whole was terrible. Bikes were better but still floaty. There were 2 cars I bought in the badlands, the coyote and something else that handled well (even on dirt in the badlands), had decent speed and breaking, so I used them constantly and ignored everything else

Female v seemed a much better choice than male v. I missed out on romancing panam, but I guess I got Judy instead, but spoiler, no matter what, Judy leaves you in the end, whereas some of the endings let you stay with panam at least

Had no issue with waiting for missions to pop up in game, it even says in the journal "wait at least 24 hours for panam to call you" or whomever...so I filled that time with NCPD jobs, gigs or side jobs.

Sleeping gives you a XP boost for an hour of real time, not in game time

Leveling athletics is a pain unless you run everywhere and only punch, and from what I oukd work out, only levels as you deplete your stamina, so getting the perks for dodging and running not costing stamina actually hinders you, not help

I ran as pure netrunner/crafting, with anything extra going into smg's/smart guns. This build also helps you get godly amount of Eddie's with the access points adding up very quickly. Had no issues buying all the cars for the trophy.

It was still buggy, and it did crash occasionally, tho I admit I was playing in long stints, where as before it would hard crash after about 90 mins~, it'd be about 4or5 hours now, and there were tell tale signs it was gonna happen so was able to save well in time

Only real issue I had was there was no urgency. Told right from the start after the chip went in and keanu turned up I was dying and had very little time left. I spent time just fucking about, doing nothing but checking stuff out, going after the legendary outfits and finding the hidden boxes/chests with perk shards in. Never had johnny tell me off, or uncle Japanese guy call me saying he's waiting at the damned diner for a month now, hurry the fuck up... and someone up above said there was no big bad evil dude, I agree, I wasn't invested in Adam smasher, amd when he turned up, my short circuit quickhack was so overpowered, and reset so quick, and the shotgun I was using took him down in about 30 seconds. This was the guy rogue and Johnny couldn't go up against for 50 years? Johnny was dead, granted, but rogue was queen of the city, which had got herself a military bomber by the end of the game. She couldn't have got info on smashers whereabouts and wiped him off the earth? Meh...

Anyway, I enjoyed it, 7/10, thank god for purple pants or I'd have been nude in the shower!! Not like I couldn't see my tits and heart shaped pubes if I just went to the damned mirror! 🙄

For the Judy leaving thing:
You can have Judy stay with you and Panam if you choose the Nomad ending after romancing Judy

For the Judy leaving thing:
You can have Judy stay with you and Panam if you choose the Nomad ending after romancing Judy
I must have chosen the wrong thing to say at some stage then, I did most tof the endings all in one go, one after another, and other than her saying she was happy, she always left 🤔

Bartski

Gold Member
Shortly after 1.5 came out I loaded my meet Hanako at Embers save and beat the game the proper way, after going for the early suicide ending when I just couldn't take it anymore in December 2020.
I completed all side questlines with most key characters I left unfinished back then and did quite a bit of roaming and fucking around on top. The ending was actually pretty cool including the final boss fight and I didn't see that coming. High-level netrunner combat is a lot of fun.
I was very critical of it when it was new, but in the big picture and in its current state (played on XsX) it's really not a bad game man. I just think it failed to live up to what many like myself were hoping it to be.
Releasing it a year too early was a critical mistake.

RAIDEN1

Pretty much. It definitely feels like a Deus Ex game a lot of the time.
Too much backlog to get through before going back in, from the trial period I thought it was ok, some parts a bit obscure, gun-play was annoying but eventually got past it....

Fredrik

It was my GOTY 2020, PC version with mods, the counter is at 269 hours right now. It’s not perfect but it’s great and is one of the most immersive first person games I’ve ever played, the story telling is top tier as well.

adamosmaki

Yeah played on PC and despite alot of people claiming is a bad game overall it was a good game enough to keep me playing till i finish it which is more than i can say for most open world games

Too much backlog to get through before going back in, from the trial period I thought it was ok, some parts a bit obscure, gun-play was annoying but eventually got past it....
The one thing I’ll say about the gunplay is the default settings for controller are abysmally bad. I hated it at first but once I had changed the settings around it felt way better.

Chronicle

I finished recently too and felt the same as you. I really like the game. It was gritty, dark and mature.

I also felt the male lead sounded like sone frat-boy douchebag. Where do the get these guys?

Will jump back in sometime to mess around on side missions.

Great game

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I'm all about dat linear, narrative driven experience so sounds great for me
You'll have fun. It's fairly short if you mainline it too, around 18 hours or so which I liked after a lot of 40+ hour open World games. The narrative, story and cutscenes are fairly well done on the main missions.

SkylineRKR

Cyberpunk is a cool game but it did wear thin. Its also surprisingly short. I would probably be done within 20 hours if I didn't do most sidequests. There is nothing to do in the city outside of the 3 mission types which mostly boil down to shoot group, grab item anyway. Driving was okay, in the higher tier vehicles its okay.

But as an open world, it basically fails to deliver what a San Andreas did ages ago. There is barely anything to do and also no secrets to be found. Cyberpunk absolutely has nothing on Witcher which I liked more in terms of story, progression, open world, secrets, loot, crafting and pretty much everything. Even the gameplay, since both have equally terrible controls but I liked TW3's different builds more. In Cyberpunk I mostly stuck to smart weapons since aiming is shit, and went hacking. Also the gear was shit. I mostly looked liked ass. Where are the mastercraft recipes in Cyberpunk?

BreakOut

Does the game play like an RPG? I’m not trying to hijack your thread, but I’ve been debating on getting it. I’ve heard mixed things about it, some people say it doesn’t feel anything like a role-playing game is more action/first person shooter. I don’t mean like it has to be a fantasy type of game, but does it genuinely feel like a role playing game?

Does the game play like an RPG? I’m not trying to hijack your thread, but I’ve been debating on getting it. I’ve heard mixed things about it, some people say it doesn’t feel anything like a role-playing game is more action/first person shooter. I don’t mean like it has to be a fantasy type of game, but does it genuinely feel like a role playing game?
It has some RPG elements but can’t really say it plays like an RPG.

NinjaBoiX

Sadly that created the false narrative that the game was broken because it wouldn't run on your 2013 Jaguar-powered video game console, when the next-gen consoles and PC ran it just fine.
You know most people aren’t internet forum nerds who know the ins and outs of cross-platform development right?

You understand that most people just bought a product, and it didn’t work properly?

Serianox

Good to know i wasn't the only one that hated the male voice trying to sound tough all the time. I played it at launch on pc and pretty much avoided most of the issues people had on other platforms. Game itself was pretty good overall outside of the more obvious things like driving being shit and a lot of things showing that the game was rushed out the door. The main quest was ok but not what i wanted out of the game and was very railroady but the sidequests were some of the best i've seen in how seamless they were integrated to the story.

It did not "run fine" on next gen consoles, THAT is a "false narrative".
I have never in my life had so many crashes from one game. Over 45 hard crashes, which is literally more crashes than ALL the other crashes I've had playing other games in the last 5 years.
Never experienced more game breaking bugs, and I platinumed New Vegas on a PS3 ffs.
In addition to that, there's literally thousands of hours of video evidence online, taken from next gen consoles, that PROVE, without a doubt, that the game was a broken mess, and STILL there's some of you just outright denying that it ever happened.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've finally started to play this and am slowly working my way through and so far its....alright. It has yet to pop for me the way the Witcher 3 did when I got to Velen and did the Red Baron and Ladies of the Wood quests. So far it's a mix of GTA, Watch Dogs and Deus Ex HR/MD. 2 games I liked and 1 I loved. Still, I am having fun.

Top Bottom