• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding a reason to go all digital.

user1337

On PS4 I started with discs...but then a couple of years in my brother got his PS4 and suddenly (with game sharing) we basically split the cost of our games and got 50% off day 1 digital purchases (If we wanted a game day 1. Most times we just wait for the sales and get ever better value) . Since then I haven't bought a single disc.

Brother and I also got the PS5 (and I went with the digital version and he went disc based cause he occasionally likes some games I don't). So yea I'm basically locked into the digital world now.

With that plus all the games I've been "claiming" from PS+...my digital collection far surpases any disc based collection I had (and this is rookie numbers compared with some other people I have seen):

neVt0KD.png

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
"Paying more" argument is not really all that valid with kinda sales MS Store, PSN n Steam have. Most games get 30-40% off the price periods within the first 3 month and 50-70% off within the first year.

Legion had 38% price cut on Xbox within first month. Yeah it is a shit game but my point stands

True for people who collect/want game libraries. But for someone who doesn't physical is still cheaper since I can buy in a sale and sometimes sell for more than what I paid after I finish it and prices have jumped back up when the sale is over. Even failing that it's rare to end up more than $10 out of pocket on any games I buy and then sell on eBay or Amazon when done.

Zog

Banned
"Paying more" argument is not really all that valid with kinda sales MS Store, PSN n Steam have. Most games get 30-40% off the price periods within the first 3 month and 50-70% off within the first year.

Legion had 38% price cut on Xbox within first month. Yeah it is a shit game but my point stands
At Wal Mart, games are always cheaper than MSRP. A game that launches today is $50 at Wal Mart and $60 everywhere else.

kevm3

Physical copies have way more value in that they are, interestingly enough, often cheaper than the digital version and you can resell them. With that said, I've been buying mostly digital for the convenience factor. Having to keep track of discs/carts, having to get up and change out the disc when you want to play something else is annoying. That and I rarely sell games has me going digital. Back in the days when games actually had nice packaging/manuals as opposed to just some cheap paper slip and a disc in the case, I would have much more incentive to go physical again.

DustQueen

Banned
At Wal Mart, games are always cheaper than MSRP. A game that launches today is $50 at Wal Mart and $60 everywhere else.
Great. Then don't go digital.

Ow... And I guess they did not tell you...

You better sit down for this cos it will blow your freaking MIND

United States of America....is...(ready)...not the only country in the world.

sainraja

I am in a way transitioning over to digital. Most of the recent games (sale or no sale) I have ended up buying a digital copy. Initially, I would buy physical and usually would only pick up a digital copy of a game I have a physical of and if it was down to $4 dollars or something during the holiday sales. I tried to switch that around by buying digital first since usually at launch prices don't go down and was planning the physical copy on sale but I haven't actually done that even when I've seen a title on sale, lol.

EDIT
I think, with the new gen consoles, going digital initially is going to be tougher.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Great. Then don't go digital.

Ow... And I guess they did not tell you...

You better sit down for this cos it will blow your freaking MIND

United States of America....is...(ready)...not the only country in the world.
Wal Mart isn’t exclusive to the United States.

SkylineRKR

You won't get much mileage out of Quick Resume with discs. Discs hold no value to me anymore. They ditched manuals, the entire disc gets ripped to the console, there is just nothing left. Its just an id check. For games like Tekken, I hated having it on disc to the point I sold it and bought the digital edition on sale. Its a quick fix game, not one I want to search through my collection and insert.

The only benefit of discs is resell value and deals. And its easy to uninstall and reinstall them, its faster than download.

But digital deals can be very good also, it just takes longer. Digital however you kind of keep. I remember buying a Vita again and looking for copies of Tactics Ogre and Dissidia online. Then it hit me, those games were on my account lol.

Last edited:

KellyNole

7 years later... ?

Yes 7 years plus. I have a bunch of digital 360 games I still go back too. My digital library grew for the ps4 and xbox one era. I don't trade in games and buy many of them on sales. There is also the point of a lot of games are broken on release and need patches, so what good is the disc any way ? At that point if there is no store to download patches, I will be pirating the thing anyway.

Top Bottom