• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally Tried The Forspoken Demo

And for the most part, I actually had a blast. Loved all the crazy spell effects/attacks. From throwing magic spears to fighting with a newly materialized sword to creating huge walls of flame around yourself. There are many varied ways to take out enemies. I can imagine it being fun to start out with only a couple of spells, leveling up and unlocking and upgrading the rest. Traversal is also quick, easy and pretty damn fun. After playing for 20-30 mins, I could really only find one flaw. Unfortunately, it's a big one that can affect the long-term enjoyment of the game.

Your character and her armband won't SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Seriously, if there is 20 seconds that go by without either of them saying something, you're lucky. What makes it worse, a lot of the dialogue is disjointed from what's going on. For example, my first experience with this problem came from just picking up some vegetation in the environment. The armband said, "Oh, there's something here." Now, that by itself wouldn't be so bad, but then the main character says sarcastically, "Can we pretend there isn't?" The armband responded with something along the lines of "No we can't." I'm just picking up some plants, not discovering a large enemy or dead body.

I let it go, but then entering a battle, they are both constantly talking to each other, which is where you really notice how one bit of conversation doesn't really flow into the next. And then I went to pick up more plants in the area. More talking about it. Really just let me pick up the fucking plants without having a 1 min conversation almost everytime.

SE said they were taming down the talking after talk heavy previews were met with negativity, but if this was scaled down, I'm guessing I would have blown my brains out with the original talking. It is a shame, because I did genuinely have fun with the gameplay, but for me to consider picking it up, they need to cut out like 50% of the chatter.

Last edited:

Banned
the input lag alone makes this game an instant no for me. I only played it for maybe 10 min and turned it off... the controls are ass.

at 30fps it's quite literally unplayable, and at 60fps (even with 120hz on to reduce latency) it's still super high.
and then the game has really bad aiming in general, which in combination with the input lag makes it feel just awful.

Arsic

Gold Member
Just turn the cuff frequency of jabber down in the settings , and change the voices to Japanese with subtitles.

Fixes all my issues with the cringe of the game . Combat is fun.

My major complaint is the open world is extremely empty and doesn’t seem fun to engage with.

the input lag alone makes this game an instant no for me. I only played it for maybe 10 min and turned it off... the controls are ass.

at 30fps it's quite literally unplayable, and at 60fps (even with 120hz on to reduce latency) it's still super high.
and then the game has really bad aiming in general, which in combination with the input lag makes it feel just awful.
Idk. Either I have a high tolerance for input lag, or it's fixed, cause I didn't notice it. I didn't really have any problems defeating enemies.

Banned
Idk. Either I have a high tolerance for input lag, or it's fixed, cause I didn't notice it. I didn't really have any problems defeating enemies.

I once again have to make it clear that when I say a game feels bad to play, that doesn't also automatically mean it's hard to defeat enemies or hit something.
a game can feel like absolute ass but can also be super easy to beat at the same time.

Halo Infinite's aiming on controller for example feels like pure horeshit, but the ridiculous aim assist makes it so you don't really need to aim that much, so hitting enemies is actually super easy despite how awful it feels.

to me, nothing is worse than excessive input lag and excessive filtering of the analog aiming. and Forspoken is a really bad example for both.
in fact i didn't even try to fight enemies while playing it, I simply ran around testing the controls, and it felt so bad that I turned it off

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I once again have to make it clear that when I say a game feels bad to play, that doesn't also automatically mean it's hard to defeat enemies or hit something.
a game can feel like absolute ass but can also be super easy to beat at the same time.

Halo Infinite's aiming on controller for example feels like pure horeshit, but the ridiculous aim assist makes it so you don't really need to aim that much, so hitting enemies is actually super easy despite how awful it feels.

to me, nothing is worse than excessive input lag and excessive filtering of the analog aiming. and Forspoken is a really bad example for both.
in fact i didn't even try to fight enemies while playing it, I simply ran around testing the controls, and it felt so bad that I turned it off
game has input lag for sure, however i enable aim assist, so its alright i guess, but yea the game movement is kinda has that delay feel.

Guess I should have worded it better, but I didn't mean just the combat. The controls felt responsive enough to me.

Mr Hyde

Had a blast with the demo. Combat and traversal was the highlight. The world design was interesting and somewhat unique, but I wonder how the emptiness translates in the full game. If all you do is running around blasting enemies it will get tedious and repetitive no matter how good the traversal and combat is. There was also basically zero load times. I think it was the fastest I've seen so far, not even a second. I didn't mind the banter. Read horror stories about it but it was not that bad. Or maybe I'm just good at filtering it out. One thing that was not that good was the UI. It felt over designed and confusing. I had plans to get this at launch but I will wait with a purchase. Maybe get it in a sale later down the road.

Last edited:

Banned
Guess I should have worded it better, but I didn't mean just the combat. The controls felt responsive enough to me.

at 60fps the game feels like a badly made 30fps game, and at 30fps it feels like you're playing a cloud stream over mobile data from another country
and then there's of course the input filtering on the right stick, which I can't stand in the best of cases.

so for me this is just an insta out

Last edited:
Hiding it in the literal settings doesn't literally count, most players don't even think that far. Literally. They still kept it in the game.
Yea. Having to even add the option should really have been a sign it's bad. Never played a game before where I wanted the character to talk less. Or at least for the banter to make contextual sense.

Nubulax

And for the most part, I actually had a blast. Loved all the crazy spell effects/attacks. From throwing magic spears to fighting with a newly materialized sword to creating huge walls of flame around yourself. There are many varied ways to take out enemies. I can imagine it being fun to start out with only a couple of spells, leveling up and unlocking and upgrading the rest. Traversal is also quick, easy and pretty damn fun. After playing for 20-30 mins, I could really only find one flaw. Unfortunately, it's a big one that can affect the long-term enjoyment of the game.

Your character and her armband won't SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Seriously, if there is 20 seconds that go by without either of them saying something, you're lucky. What makes it worse, a lot of the dialogue is disjointed from what's going on. For example, my first experience with this problem came from just picking up some vegetation in the environment. The armband said, "Oh, there's something here." Now, that by itself wouldn't be so bad, but then the main character says sarcastically, "Can we pretend there isn't?" The armband responded with something along the lines of "No we can't." I'm just picking up some plants, not discovering a large enemy or dead body.

I let it go, but then entering a battle, they are both constantly talking to each other, which is where you really notice how one bit of conversation doesn't really flow into the next. And then I went to pick up more plants in the area. More talking about it. Really just let me pick up the fucking plants without having a 1 min conversation almost everytime.

SE said they were taming down the talking after talk heavy previews were met with negativity, but if this was scaled down, I'm guessing I would have blown my brains out with the original talking. It is a shame, because I did genuinely have fun with the gameplay, but for me to consider picking it up, they need to cut out like 50% of the chatter.
You can turn the armband and main character chatter down, theres a setting for it to where its only the main story bits I believe ;)

Nubulax

It's ridiculous that they even need that "feature." Or that I need to search for it in the settings, instead of just jumping into the game and playing it, which is what you should be doing in a demo.
Ya the extra 10 seconds it takes to switch it in the settings if its bothering you is just too hard and time consuming. I was going to buy this game day one and was excited for it but now going to wait til some reviews come in and such as I didnt vibe with it as much as I thought from the demo but im so tired of people complaining up and down about things in games that have LITERAL settings that you can change to take care of most if not all the complaint. The option is there, use it or dont

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

You lost all credibility when you said halo infinite's controls feels like pure horseshit.
Sure doesn't seem to jive with 99% of reviews and what most people say.

Forespoken is probably fine.

Skifi28

Hated the combat. I probably spent more time in menus changing spells than actually using them. It also seems to be yet another game where the empty open world is only inhabited by enemies killing all immersion.

Last edited:

GymWolf

People crying for something that can be solved just by going into the options menu never fail to make me laugh.

Gamers: we don't want hand holding
Also gamers: going into option is too hard, i'm too lazy and every option should be perfectly tailored to my taste from the get go.

jesus-fucking-christ-wentworth.gif

Fahdis

People crying for something that can be solved just by going into the options menu never fail to make me laugh.

Also gamers: going into option is too hard, i'm too lazy and every option should be perfectly tailored to my taste from the get go.

Gaming isn't a mistake. Degens picking up gaming as a hobby is. So I agree with you.

WitchHunter

Banned

Well GOWR maxed out the innovation in accessibility hillbilly thing. They even got an award for it. I just don't know what else is there to innovate? Even more options or like I'm pretending to be a crocodile mode so adjust controls accordingly? For example Sony should make a bite based croco controller? Hard kick = hard bite. Gentle snap = lite bite. Tail swoosh wind meter?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well GOWR maxed out the innovation in accessibility hillbilly thing. They even got an award for it. I just don't know what else is there to innovate? Even more options or like I'm pretending to be a crocodile mode so adjust controls accordingly? For example Sony should make a bite based croco controller? Hard kick = hard bite. Gentle snap = lite bite. Tail swoosh wind meter?
I feel you buddy.

Haters everywhere. So sad rite now. Best game so far.

I'm wondering how it will fare against armored core tho.
Definitely wouldn't consider myself a hater. I do think people have a hate boner for this game for some reason and are exaggerating some things to pile on. Things they wouldn't bitch about in other games they like.

However, it's nearly universal consensus that the banter is god awful. It happens too frequently and a lot of the time doesn't match what's happening in the game. And a STFU slider is a horrible fix. Just take out 40%-50% of the dialogue and call it a day. No other game that I played made me want to scream at the character to STFU and try to find a slider to adjust the amount of dialogue. IDK if any other game has ever even included such an option.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

I think it's more about the fact that it requires a solution in the first place because the voice acting/writing is awful and annoying, and even the devs themselves show lack of faith in their own creation by letting you turn that shit off.

GymWolf

I think it's more about the fact that it requires a solution in the first place because the voice acting/writing is awful and annoying, and even the devs themselves show lack of faith in their own creation by letting you turn that shit off.

At least you can turn it off, many people hated ragnarock for the same reason and you can't turn that shit off in that game.

Not sure why is forspoken the one being trolled for something you can fucking solve in 10 sec.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This game looks and feels great. But it's not perfect.

A few more months in the oven (patches post release and some graphical improvements) and a few setting changes to improve the UI and minimize chatter ... and it'll be a super fun experience.

It has a lot of cool ideas and fresh traversal and combat mechanics. I hope this game takes off because its sequel can truly be amazing.

GymWolf

This game looks and feels great. But it's not perfect.

A few more months in the oven (patches post release and some graphical improvements) and a few setting changes to improve the UI and minimize chatter ... and it'll be a super fun experience.

It has a lot of cool ideas and fresh traversal and combat mechanics. I hope this game takes off because its sequel can truly be amazing.
You can already minimize chatter...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of "gamers" that only operate on one brain cell and any further input activates their "Just say no" response.

Imagine taking the time to adjust their settings.

This pathetic whining is just as bad as people crying over the doll-like faces in Star Ocean or Xenoblade X. My eyes are rolling.

Top Bottom