• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally Snagged a Series X. What to do now?

I have decided to wait for Res 8 in May, couldn't find one in November December time, and as of now got my PC with a 960 still doing pretty good and got the Medium pre loaded, happy days.

Well, most of the replies tell you to play old games on your new console. If that does not tell you about the state of xbox I don't know what does. (Goes back to playing skyward sword on my wii-u)
Guess you ignored the fact that OP has a very well equipped PC. Most of the best Xbox exclusives currently are going to play as well or better on the PC, hence all of the unique backwards compatible talk....

Dave_Dawgg

Neo Member
Congrats. I just snagged an Xbox Series X on Target yesterday. My first console since Sega Genesis (my kids have One X and PS4). I also have a 65" Samsung curved TV (MU 8500) and will not upgrade until micro/mini-LED takes off. My current tv is 3+ years old, hoping it will suffice now for video gaming. Your thread will help me out on how to commence with building a game library (other than the obvious GTA 5 type titles). I do plan on using RetroArch.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Congrats. I just snagged an Xbox Series X on Target yesterday. My first console since Sega Genesis (my kids have One X and PS4). I also have a 65" Samsung curved TV (MU 8500) and will not upgrade until micro/mini-LED takes off. My current tv is 3+ years old, hoping it will suffice now for video gaming. Your thread will help me out on how to commence with building a game library (other than the obvious GTA 5 type titles). I do plan on using RetroArch.

deffo get gamepass and have a go at more than a 100 games would be my advice other than tetrarch

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Metro Exodus C+
Assassins Creed Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla B+
Red Dead Redemption 2 A+
Halo 5 B+
Gears 5 B+
Tomb Raider C+
Ghost Recon C+
Evil Within 2 C+
Bioshock Collection A+
Even though those games are mostly C’s give them credit on being good games.

Concern

Congratulations

Now....

war GIF

🤣🤣🤣

sainraja

Quick resume is a quality of life feature but I never thought it would become a reason for someone to get a console! Heh, I guess you never know!

sainraja

OP says he’s excited for BC. Hence the replies.
Well, still, it would have been nice to have something exclusive to the Series X showcasing its features. Microsoft should have had something like that at launch. I lost hope on being able to find a PS5 so went with the Xbox Series X first (a break from tradition); I will mostly be playing Destiny 2 on it as that has been my main game so far to play between both the Xbox One + PS4 Pro but something to see the best of the system at launch would have been nice!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wait for all those promised amazing exclusives just like the Xbox One, you know the thing that never happened.

Sybrix

I cannot understand why anyone would buy an Xbox when they have a gaming PC.

As someone who has a PC with your spec you must know that any Xbox game is on PC and is a far superior experience when played on PC... with a 35 inch GSync HDR monitor.....also RTX...

But its your money, you do what you want :)

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Enjoy better multiplats, and wait two years for microsoft to actually you know, put out new games for their new systems. Its amazing how much they are dragging

TheContact

if I pick up a series S or X, will I be able to play the arcade games I bought on the 360 a while ago? specifically perfect dark remaster and guardian heroes?

chinoXL

For Xbox Exclusives that never made it to PC in backwards compatibility mode with all of those benefits. For quick resume features. For multiplayer games that haven’t embraced cross play yet(Division 2, Destiny, R6S, PUBG etc) to play with my out of state friends on Xbox Live. Also for my family to be able to play games on it while I use other platforms or play the One S and One X in other rooms in the house.
fair enough!! good reasons, enjoy it!

if I pick up a series S or X, will I be able to play the arcade games I bought on the 360 a while ago? specifically perfect dark remaster and guardian heroes?
I believe the answer is yes. Rare replay has Perfect Dark and I downloaded Guardian Heroes on the X1X and it was still on the drive when I got the XSX.

I cannot understand why anyone would buy an Xbox when they have a gaming PC.

As someone who has a PC with your spec you must know that any Xbox game is on PC and is a far superior experience when played on PC... with a 35 inch GSync HDR monitor.....also RTX...

But its your money, you do what you want :)

I cannot understand why anyone would feel compelled to take the time to post a reply without actually reading the OP. But it's your time, you do what you want :)

I only game on PC and my Switch now but I see plenty of reasons to get a Series X, I just don't have time to own everything. If you are interested in any Xbox exclusive games released before 2016, you're almost entirely SOL with a PC.

While Xbox games since around 2016 have started appearing on PC as well, a gaming PC does not run improved versions of any Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One exclusive games before then. There are actually a lot of games on those three platforms that are not available on PC and the Series X will play many of them with greatly improved performance. There are no perfect emulators for the Xbox, X360 or Xbone on PC either where the Series X runs it's BC compatible games without issue and includes automatic upgrades to framerates/resolution/etc.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Like owning any gaming platform at the moment beside maybe the switch in feb.... you wait.... for a long time.... outings coming out soon.

IDappa

Gears hivebusters is a good start, play Forza horizon 4 and the new ori is beautiful. I'd also recommend call of the sea as a solid puzzle game with some nice visuals.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Make sure you have a 4k TV or monitor. Valhalla looks amazing and is fun. All BC games benefit from upscaling and better frame rate. Most new games are BC but are XSX enhanced (Valhalla, Watch Dogs, Ori:WOTW, Yakuza etc,....) but none yet are for XSX exclusively. The Medium is one of the first to only be playable on XSX. Maybe The Falconeer too.

Moogle11

Banned
Given you have a good PC, not sure why you bought one unless you like the easy option to play on the TV you Hooked it up to rather than the montior the PC it’s et up.

I ditched my Xbox One last gen when I got a gaming PC. This gen I opted to go back to console only and grabbed a PS5 and XSX. Upgrading my PC would mean a new mother board and everything and the cost was just too great for me given I didn’t really dig the PC gaming experience anyway. Just don’t care that much about having the absolute best graphics/performance anymore, hate kb/m controls, don’t care to mess with mods, didn’t like any PC exclusive games really (mostly play AAA games that are on consoles and indies that are on everything) and hated getting off the couch to do the few extra steps with getting the TV activated as third display, audio seton the right thing etc. vs. hitting a button on my Harmony remote and one on my controller to start up any of my consoles. It’s not that big a deal, but it did actively have me gravitate away from gaming on the PC vs. PS4 or Switch.

If I’d liked PC gaming enough to upgrade it, no way I’d also have gotten an XSX as Play Anywhere would cover my needs. The few Gamepass games only on the console version wouldn’t move the needle for me. Anyway, I’m super pleased with my XSX. Mained PS4 last gen and didn’t do all that much Xbox gaming on PC so I have plenty to catch up on Gamepass that’s keeping me busy while my PS5 has largely been going unused.

Last edited:
There’s some real Garbage Sony fanboi answers in this thread.

Forza Horizon 4 (and regular Forza) is better than anything Sony has put out, racing-wise, since the PS2. And it already looked like a next-gen title when it came out.

Gears 5 is a great showcase title and a lot of fun to play, plus there’s a lot of single-player and co-op DLC if you’re not a competitive fan.

The Falconeer is another nice showcase title. It plays like a spiritual successor to Crimson Skies (Xbox) and is a lot of fun.

Cyberpunk 2077 runs better on XSX than any other console, and it’s not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. It has issues, but so did Witcher 3 when it came out...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Thanks for all the serious replies y’all.

Yeah. I mean, I get some people don’t see the utility in a gaming PC+ a Series X but I do.

As I said, I mostly was interested for BC enhancements+Auto HDR of games not available on PC, quick Resume, Etc.

Also a few other reasons, my fiancée and daughter love to play games too. So it’s nice for us to have a high quality system with access to gamepass plugged into the living room TV. The TV is also connected to my PC. But I also use the PC for my photography business. So I’m often editing, or if my fiancée is using the computer for school, I can play on the TV.

I will be pushing back the Xbox One X into the game room/guest room. That way there’s a good option in there as well. Also pushed my PS4 Pro back into that room when I got the PS5.

Then my OG PS4 and Xbox One S will go to our bedroom. And my Day One XBO I will give to my buddy who only was able to afford a PS4 last Gen and couldn’t get both, but loves Halo, Gears, Etc.

Always liked the idea of in a shared home, or when we host, which we often do, that no one is stopping anyone from doing what they enjoy because someone’s doing something that THEY enjoy. IE if I want to watch a football game, and someone wants to play their Xbox game, we can, in whichever place in the house makes the most sense for that moment. If my fiancée wants to work on schoolwork for her latest degree, while our daughter wants to play some Borderlands, and I want to dive into some Division with my old friends, we can all do so simultaneously without interfering with each other or waiting on one another.
And thanks to cloud saves, the whole thing is pretty seamless.

Probably stems from all the times as a kid I was wanting to play a game, while my dad would be wanting to watch a game, and my mom anted to watch the news, but we also had to chose. Leaving the others unable to do what they wanted.

Also, I am just a big tech guy, and I’ve bought every console at launch aside from the WiiU. I like tooling around with them and I’m fascinated by the tech and engineering that goes into them.

Looking forward to trying out some of the mentioned games!

Weird side note but I finally finished God of War last week, was watching a Spoilercast with Cory Balrog, and he mentioned how much he loved the Lost Planet series story.

Got me interested as I’ve never played it. Enhanced?

Last edited:

quickwhips

So, after trying since September I have finally snagged an Xbox Series X (thanks Wario64). Got a PS5 at launch but admittedly tried a bit harder to grab one back then. I am night shift in the ER and was too exhausted to try hard again for the X back then.

At any rate, it gets here Thursday and I am really excited to try it out, mostly for BC and Quick Resume.

That said, with my current setup, what would be a good way to experience the new console?

I have my PS5 and Xbox One X connected to a 65” 4K Curved Samsung that accepts HDR but only gets around 400nits, and I plan on connecting my Series X to that, and moving the other Xbox’s back throughout the house.

I also have a pretty good gaming PC.
2080ti FTW3 Ultra
3950x
1TB M.2 SSD
Index
Connected to a PG35VQ 35” Ultrawide HDR 1000nits with GSync Ultimate @180-200hz.

So my dilemma is that for many games, at least until I upgrade my TV later in the year to a Mini LED TV, seem like I would be better off playing them on my PG35VQ for the HDR//UltraWide/GSync and PC features.

Games like Gears, Halo MCC, Assassins Creed, etc I have been playing on this setup.

Also, what games are most impressive in Backwards Compatibility? Have a massive game library of Xbox titles, and Gamepass as well, and would like to dabble in some old titles. Do games that had XB1X enhancements get further upgrades for Series X? (Aside from auto HDR) like increases in resolution? Would love to play Red Dead Redemption at 8K instead of 4K for instance.

I see Medium is out this week, but also for PC..

I have most of my Division 2 progress on Xbox so I’ll probably jump back into that when the next gen patch arrives.
It's true everyone found an xbox series x but me.

Moogle11

Banned
Thanks for all the serious replies y’all.

Yeah. I mean, I get some people don’t see the utility in a gaming PC+ a Series X but I do.

As I said, I mostly was interested for BC enhancements+Auto HDR of games not available on PC, quick Resume, Etc.

Also a few other reasons, my fiancée and daughter love to play games too. So it’s nice for us to have a high quality system with access to gamepass plugged into the living room TV. The TV is also connected to my PC. But I also use the PC for my photography business. So I’m often editing, or if my fiancée is using the computer for school, I can play on the TV.

I will be pushing back the Xbox One X into the game room/guest room. That way there’s a good option in there as well. Also pushed my PS4 Pro back into that room when I got the PS5.

Then my OG PS4 and Xbox One S will go to our bedroom. And my Day One XBO I will give to my buddy who only was able to afford a PS4 last Gen and couldn’t get both, but loves Halo, Gears, Etc.

Always liked the idea of in a shared home, or when we host, which we often do, that no one is stopping anyone from doing what they enjoy because someone’s doing something that THEY enjoy. IE if I want to watch a football game, and someone wants to play their Xbox game, we can, in whichever place in the house makes the most sense for that moment. If my fiancée wants to work on schoolwork for her latest degree, while our daughter wants to play some Borderlands, and I want to dive into some Division with my old friends, we can all do so simultaneously without interfering with each other or waiting on one another.
And thanks to cloud saves, the whole thing is pretty seamless.

Probably stems from all the times as a kid I was wanting to play a game, while my dad would be wanting to watch a game, and my mom anted to watch the news, but we also had to chose. Leaving the others unable to do what they wanted.

Also, I am just a big tech guy, and I’ve bought every console at launch aside from the WiiU. I like tooling around with them and I’m fascinated by the tech and engineering that goes into them.

Looking forward to trying out some of the mentioned games!

Weird side note but I finally finished God of War last week, was watching a Spoilercast with Cory Balrog, and he mentioned how much he loved the Lost Planet series story.

Got me interested as I’ve never played it. Enhanced?

I definitely see the utility in that case with needing to share screens with wife, kids and guests.

I just don’t have that use case as it’s just the wife and I. My consoles and PC are hooked up to the same TV in my mancave and my wife doesn’t use it unless we’re watching something together. She has her own office/hobby room and uses the TV in the living room for her shows. We don’t have guests over that often and when we do we’re usually hanging out or if it’s my wife’s friends they may watch something in the living room while I do whatever in the mancave if not hanging out with them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom