• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally did it. There’s now only 277 of you left in the world…

OrionNebula

I finally purchased Grand Theft Auto V 😆
For the very first time

Never played it, played IV for about an hour back in like 2012, never played San Andreas or any other GTA for that matter

What did I get myself into?
What tips would you give to a guy who has, litterally, 0 experience with this (it’s like I’m from Mars 😳) ?
What are the dos and don’ts ?

Not only am I not familiar with GTA, but I also pretty much avoided that genre altogether (so no Saint’s Row, no Mafia, no Bully (and about 2-3 hours of Red Dead Redemption 1 around 2013)). Was very late in the open world game. Also, last Rock* game I played was Max Payne 3 in like 2014

Another piece of info : I’m only a single player guy, and I doubt I’ll ever even start GTAOnline, so let’s forget about that

Last thing : be gentle with me 😜

Teslerum

You were the last one, everybody got it for free from Epic Store.
I don't have it. Didn't buy it, didn't get it for free.

QW1MZWdlbmQuanBn

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I’m in the same boat. I tried Liberty City Stories for a bit on a friend’s PSP back in the day, but other than that I‘ve never played a GTA game. They just don’t appeal to me in any way, and I can’t think of a more boring setting than a modern American city.

I do like other open world games though, including RDR. The only way a GTA game would interest me is if it was set either in the (somewhat distant) past, like the 50s, or in the future, like in Cyberpunk. The postmodern era (basically everything since the 70s) is just boring as hell from an aesthetic and cultural standpoint.

i enjoyed the campaign. the multiple characters was cool. heists were awesome and messing about with the stock market was fun.

combat and character movement was dated in 2013. i suppose gunplay wasn't too bad but controlling the characters was so sluggish.

the world is beautifully created but lifeless. there's not really much to do so you gotta have imagination. i like just flying/driving around and chilling. police chases get boring after a while. most buildings you are locked out. only really your player house, shops, tattoo shops, garages, hangars are accessible. a lot of areas you visit in single player are not available in free roam.

it's worth checking out but there are far better games if you want open world exploration. at the least it's worth playing just to go through the story and mess about in the map for a while.

Last edited:
To me, it's an amazingly fun, satisfying and well made game. One of the best games in recent years. Great and engaging story too, with very good acting and characters.

i enjoyed the campaign. the multiple characters was cool. heists were awesome and messing about with the stock market was fun.

combat and character movement was dated in 2013. i suppose gunplay wasn't too bad but controlling the characters was so sluggish.

the world is beautifully created but lifeless. there's not really much to do so you gotta have imagination. i like just flying/driving around and chilling. police chases get boring after a while. most buildings you are locked out. only really your player house, shops, tattoo shops, garages, hangars are accessible. a lot of areas you visit in single player are not available in free roam.

it's worth checking out but there are far better games if you want open world exploration. at the least it's worth playing just to go through the story and mess about in the map for a while.
Do you have any tips for better games when it comes to open world exploration and interaction? Any platform, would be very appreciated!

Do you have any tips for better games when it comes to open world exploration and interaction? Any platform, would be very appreciated!
watch dogs 2 was the game that put me off playing GTA V. those games get a lot of hate but WD2 was really good. a lot of people are put off by the characters. san francisco doesn't compare to Los Santos when it comes to map scale/density/detail but if you want a world that feels alive and that you can manipulate then it's worth checking out.

the map has more building interiors to explore in free roam and there's a degree of vertical exploration. you can hack NPCs who all have different traits/stories which makes them interesting/belieavable. you can hack into buildings, vehicles, organise gang attacks or even police arrests, shut down security systems, explore vents/raise bollards/hack traffic lights, create blackouts, shock people, etc, etc. you can't really do any of that in GTA V. the map of Los Santos is pretty to look at but it's so static where as San Francisco feels more dynamic.

Outlier

I already played it... on PS3.

Don't care how much the game has grown and how much content is in it, now.

The core game mechanics are too old for me to find interesting anymore. Now I just watch Graystillplays videos on the challenging user made tracks.

No interest in getting back into it.

But hope you enjoy it.

BigBooper

If you want to be stock rich, pay attention to the events happening in the story.

It was a fun game. It's not my favorite because they got rid of a lot of the theme park aspects of the world; for example, there aren't as many random jumps all around the city. It's still plenty fun though. Go mountain biking for a while.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I disliked it compared to 4. Pc version now requires the launcher and somehow don't work for me anymore.... Black screen or something

Dav-Kripler

It's fine op. Not the best example of the genre by a country mile (see saints row 3/4, sleeping dogs and red faction guerrilla for the best experiences... Hell even Just Cause 2) but overall.. it's ok. Just don't expect too much satisfaction from completing the story and have a giggle messing around.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I've never played a GTA game besides the one (is it only one?) Where you can use a code to turn every civilian into an Asian with a katana and went on a Kung fu killing spree.

Pallas

I’m probably one of the problems, I preordered it for the 360 and had digitally purchased it years later on the Xbox one. The single player game is actually really fun, plus doing everything in first person view is kind of wild from a GTA perspective.

I never really touched the online portion and let my relative who came over sometimes, play online on my game.

CAB_Life

I’ve never played a GTA game in my life. I bought the one that was hyped to Hell for PS3, but it sat on my HDD and I eventually deleted it—didn’t even see the splash screen. I’m not wearing that like a badge of pride, as it could be (and seems to be by most critical accounts) a legitimately good game. The source material just holds no appeal to me whatsoever.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I played it religiously when it came out all the way to the point where you could have your own skyscraper basically and then I realized that I had played it too much. I had like 40 cars.

Last edited:

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
When i bought my PS4, game was bundled with it. I said to the shop owner (a friend) to open the bande and switch GTA for The Evil Within. Never tried the series and probably never will.

buenoblue

I'm never sure why people make threads about buying old ass cheap games, or even worse should they buy ***** game or not even though it's like £10. Just buy the game and then play it like everyone else. Anyone who had literally any interest in that game played it years ago.

Shifty1897

I've never played GTA V either, OP. I tried to download it for free from Epic and was like a day or two late. I got mad and refused to ever buy it.

The same thing happened with the PS4 Ratchet and Clank and now I refuse to buy it or the PS5 game.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
At the end of the day my favorite thing to do in GTA V was to play the stock market. Too bad that when you get super rich there's not a lot you can do with your money.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm never sure why people make threads about buying old ass cheap games, or even worse should they buy ***** game or not even though it's like £10. Just buy the game and then play it like everyone else. Anyone who had literally any interest in that game played it years ago.
I feel you. I'm not sure why people reply to threads they don't think should have been made just to complain that someone made the thread. I think those folks could probably just ignore them but that never seems to happen. Seems like a weird waste of time.

Top Bottom