• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FinalFantasy7Rebirth: 'that moment' will have a big surprise in store, says Square-Enix

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Cloud being killed instead makes the most sense gameplay wise, as you have a pallet swap ready to go who can essentially take over his equipment and unlocked abilities with Zack. He also knows its coming as he's seen flashbacks of the event in the prior game.

The biggest surprise for me would of been if they had gone through with it just like the original. Make it seem like it will be avoided right up until it happens.

Damigos

Man, I wished at the time that there was a way to resurrect her later
No, it would destroy everything. Also, if there is a way to ressurect her in Rebirth i would hate it. The original plot (and the shock) was that she actually dies. Violently, unjustifiably.
Lets hope they wont take this away and treat the original with respect

phaedrus

The all time fan favourite FF protagonist, Lightning, will cross dimensions to save Aerith.
di52QZw.gif

Davevil

No, it would destroy everything. Also, if there is a way to ressurect her in Rebirth i would hate it. The original plot (and the shock) was that she actually dies. Violently, unjustifiably.
Lets hope they wont take this away and treat the original with respect
I was talking of the original game... at the time i want so strong a method to resurrect her (legit)
I won't even touch this remake with a stick

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The director saying that this moment of the story has a "big surprise" is an indication it goes substantially off that script and that is a spoiler. How can it be a surprise now if you're sitting there like "okay now what is the big surprise" for that moment?

How can it be a spoiler if you don't know what happens? Use your brain.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Please people can you think of the time travelers who are yet to experience FF7 before posting spoilers that are older than they are. Apparently there are dozens of them within this thread, already shocked at learning things that everyone else already knew over 2 decades ago.

giphy.webp

Last edited:

Hudo

My theory:

She initially won’t die, causing time itself to break apart. Sephiroth will do this on purpose. Cloud will be given no choice but to kill her to save everyone and everything, because Aerith dying
is a set moment in the timeline that must happen.
What if we go one step further: Have the player (Cloud) choose between two timelines going forward. The bad timeline where everyone is fucked but Aerith lives. Or the good timeline where everyone is not fucked but you have to kill Aerith. The Third FF7 game would have to have answers to both timelines.... which is probably why Square won't do it and most likely do something close to you theory.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Also, it has become clear that this project was just an excuse for them to add SHOCKING things to "subvert expectations".

A simple remake would have sufficed, but noooooooooo Squeenix must ruin everything they touch.

Trunx81

It´s 2023, you just can´t kill opressed people anymore just like that.

Part 3 will have full time-travel mechanics, exploring the multiverse and even integrate Final Fantasy - the movie. Remember where you read it first!

SkylineRKR

Times have changed. I know this saga doesnt continue your exp levels and builds between releases but nowadays I don't want a playable character to be removed from a game permanently. It was accepted in the 90's, building your char, using for hours and then suddenly you had to deal with a party breaking up. Many games did this, forcing you to use chars you never planned to use.

The difference as I said is that it will happen at the very end, and part 3 will likely start from zero yet again. But still, it would mean Part 3 to omit a very popular character and I doubt modern day Square is going to roll with this. They're even looking for ways to incorporate Zack now.

I think one of the very reasons this trilogy takes liberties is so they have an excuse to change these events.

iQuasarLV

I am going to be that guy and just put out the talking point of, is it even a remake if they bastardize a major plot development point, for who's sake? I would like to reference Doctor Who about this

Fixed points in time, also temporal nexuses, fixed time, or node points, were lynchpins of the structure of ordered history. As the name implied, they could not be altered by time travellers

So is it even FF7 in spirit if they just decide to replace or butcher major moments such as this, or is it basically an interpretation of the source?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People who enjoyed Remake will enjoy Rebirth and people who didn’t gonna get triggered like they did with Remake. At this point it should be clear to all of you they are not trying tell the same story so you either in to it or not.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

People who enjoyed Remake will enjoy Rebirth and people who didn’t gonna get triggered like they did with Remake. At this point it should be clear to all you they are not trying tell same story so you either in to it or not.

I think its not bad, the original is still there. Because they changed the story we don't know whats going to happen despite playing the original a million of times.

I wish Square will redo the original like the Star Ocean 2 R game due out soon. Why not? Remake trilogy isn't replacing it.

Boneless

It would be great if they just shut up and surprise us ingame. Which this time around I surely hope they do.

These hints about where the game will end, what key moments they are changing are bullshit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think its not bad, the original is still there. Because they changed the story we don't know whats going to happen despite playing the original a million of times.

I wish Square will redo the original like the Star Ocean 2 R game due out soon. Why not? Remake trilogy isn't replacing it.
That what’s so exciting about it! They took the risk and I’m my opinion it payed off and glad they took the chance and like you said the original game is still available EVERYWHERE.

It would be great if they just shut up and surprise us ingame. Which this time around I surely hope they do.

These hints about where the game will end, what key moments they are changing are bullshit.
My suggestion is just avoid any article about this game, I didn’t even read OP for this thread.….I don’t need to, I’m already sold on this game.

Last edited:

poodaddy

The all time fan favourite FF protagonist, Lightning, will cross dimensions to save Aerith. Then Donald and Goofy will dance
As shit as this would be in terms of writing, I guarantee you the actual scenario won't be written any better.

Hell, at least your idea would be funny. Just have it to where Donald and Goofy are dancing on a copy of the original FFVII script for true accuracy and immersion.

Top Bottom