• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy's run from VI to X was INSANE.

Incorrect I think. FFX is regarded as popular as VII now. Based of the latest sales data.

FFX series 20.8mil shipped as of the last update - Sept 2021.
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

FFVII original 14.1mil sold as of the last update - 31 Jan 2023.
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Obviously difficult to directly compare popularity, given the X series sales includes X-2. However VII original has also been out for longer. I know plenty of people who regard X as one of the greatest games ever made.

No ones really dropped the series, in fact the opposite can be argued that the series has retained a large amount of its audience, which is unusual for a 35 year old franchise. FFXII and FFXIII sold well I don't think we have numbers of FFXII including the Zodiac age. FFXIV one of the most popular MMOs ever. FFXV gradually sold over 10mil copies. FFVIIR likely at 7-8mil sold now despite being free on PSN 12 months after release and not being on Xbox. The price of VIIR has remained very high too.

The problem with FF popularity is that it hasn't grown, which is a concern as development costs increase so you get to a point where 5-6mil units doesn't cut it. XVI is another attempt at breaking this stagnation, which is ceilings of 7-10mil copies sold and breaking into the mainstream, which is now around 15mil copies or so.
People bought X, that’s my point…
Incorrect I think. FFX is regarded as popular as VII now. Based of the latest sales data.

FFX series 20.8mil shipped as of the last update - Sept 2021.
[/URL][/URL]

FFVII original 14.1mil sold as of the last update - 31 Jan 2023.
[/URL][/URL]

Obviously difficult to directly compare popularity, given the X series sales includes X-2. However VII original has also been out for longer. I know plenty of people who regard X as one of the greatest games ever made.

No ones really dropped the series, in fact the opposite can be argued that the series has retained a large amount of its audience, which is unusual for a 35 year old franchise. FFXII and FFXIII sold well I don't think we have numbers of FFXII including the Zodiac age. FFXIV one of the most popular MMOs ever. FFXV gradually sold over 10mil copies. FFVIIR likely at 7-8mil sold now despite being free on PSN 12 months after release and not being on Xbox. The price of VIIR has remained very high too.

The problem with FF popularity is that it hasn't grown, which is a concern as development costs increase so you get to a point where 5-6mil units doesn't cut it. XVI is another attempt at breaking this stagnation, which is ceilings of 7-10mil copies sold and breaking into the mainstream, which is now around 15mil copies or so.
My point is that X did great, but by XII the series wasn’t something “everyone” played anymore. Still did well, still does well (it’s notable that a lot of 360 collections include XIII, as well), but it isn’t this generation’s Halo or Call of Duty or “the game everyone owns” anymore.

Edit: quoted twice because cell phone, can’t figure out how to fix lol

Last edited:

Belthazar

Imo IV-VII is much more impressive IX was one of the best RPGs of all time, don't get me wrong... But VIII is a dud.

Reactions: MP!
They weren't supposed to exist. They were an upper management request to appeal to teens.

Original main character was Basch. And it shows.
clealry. i was at the end like:

"you started this story with one of the most epic high-stakes political set-up and ended up with someone called penelo talking nonsense"

mortal

Gold Member
Considered to be the golden era of Square. I loved every one of those releases, they all felt like completely new experiences, even while sharing some tropes.

FFVI feels like proto-FFVII in a lot of ways, even down to some parts of Uematsu's composition. It's the bridge between classic and modern Final Fantasy.
FFVII through FFIX feel like these quintessential late-90s RPGs. Growing up playing these left such a huge impression and helped spark my initial interest in so many subjects and things.

I sort of miss when Final Fantasy characters didn't have voice actors tbh. That's one thing I believe played a role in the creative shift of the series from FFX onward, and why FFX was such a big deal when it was released.
Finally hearing a Final Fantasy character speak for the first time and look so detailed was a trip.

It was a truly wonderful time to be a Final Fantasy fan. I am thankful for having gotten to play so many quality titles at such early points in my life.

Last edited:
You never learned how to properly play the game.

whatever-e02.jpg

This was disproven in a recent interview.
Dunno what to think about that seeing it was pretty definite information way back when. I reckon FFXII was basically Vagrant Story 2 in early stages so this change might have been when it turned into a numbered Final Fantasy game.

Of course though, if that's how it was, that wasn't towards the end of development. But I'm fairly certain Basch came first than Vaan plot-wise.

This said and going with an open mind into it, if you have the interview at hand I'm interested in reading it.

Last edited:

Doom85

whatever-e02.jpg

Dunno what to think about that seeing it was pretty definite information way back when. I reckon FFXII was basically Vagrant Story 2 in early stages so this change might have been when it turned into a numbered Final Fantasy game.

Of course though, if that's how it was, that wasn't towards the end of development. But I'm fairly certain Basch came first than Vaan plot-wise.

This said and going with an open mind into it, if you have the interview at hand I'm interested in reading it.

Sorry, I thought it was an interview, but really the original director merely tweeted it.

And honestly, Ashe and even to an extent Balthier felt more relevant throughout most of XII to me. Basch felt important in the first and last act, but the middle portion of the game it felt like he barely had much to contribute.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda saddens me that FFXI gets so overlooked, when its still going just shy of 21 years on from launch.

Great game, and an amazing achievement given the constraints of being a PS2 title.

Top Bottom