• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Website

John Day

I would think there are a few rogue Eikons out there, who aren't royalty. Wouldn't surprise me if there were some sort of antagonist as usual. Oh, I'm way off. Yeah, that's the guy behind FF3, FF11, and the like.

Hideo Minaba and Akihiko Yoshida have damn good styles as well as Takahashi.
Yeah, seems Ifrit is one not asociated with any of the nations. Probably a weapon for the Iron Kingdom?

Aion002

It looks a billion times better than FFXV! Hyped, day one!

Hopefully they might add some coop missions mode? The combat looks fun and with coop they could add jobs, like white mages and paladins... Imagine FFXIV raids with that battle system! FFXV multiplayer (comrades) was interesting.

Last edited:

kevm3

Squaresoft artists really need a testosterone injection. Why do characters in their games almost look like weak metrosexuals? I'm guessing grown up Clive looks decent at least.

Bryank75

Banned
The character designer is Kazuya Takahashi, from FFXIV:ARR and HW.

Check the signature:
FFXVI_MediaKit_04.png
Amazing.

Myths

Grown Clive looks decent, not sure what's up with some of the others here and there.
Yeah, seems Ifrit is one not asociated with any of the nations. Probably a weapon for the Iron Kingdom?
And the other part is a Drake (some Grand Dragon) falling long ago into Valisthea and then crystallized ... everyone uses its remnants as a source of energy and power?

Would be grreat to see Alexander Smith back on the localization too.

Last edited:

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
In the trailer, one character expressed surprise at the existence of a second fire eikon (Ifrit), claiming it to be "impossible".

Maybe there's a whole bunch of new eikos appearing in the world and sharing elemental attributes with existing ones?

Elysion

Banned
Worst case scenario for this game would be if Clive is the only playable character, and summons will only appear in the story, but can’t be used in battle (other than for some special attacks, as shown in the trailer).

Unfortunately, that seems pretty plausible from what we know so far. If summons (‘Eikons’) are linked to individual people (‘Dominants’), who are able to transform into them or summon them, then I don’t see how we can use summons ourselves unless a Dominant joins the party. That’s possible of course, but that would basically mean that only certain characters can summon Eikons, and only one per character. But if that was the case, why is Clive in the trailer shown to have powers from multiple Eikons (Phoenix and Titan, at least)? Wouldn’t that be redundant?

It seems to me that Clive gains those powers either by killing Dominants (in the trailer he’s part of a group that hunts Shiva’s Dominant), or if a Dominant grants him part of their power voluntarily (probably how he obtained some of the Phoenix’ power from his little brother). The only way around that is if we can summon at least a lesser form of those Eikons, like a spectral or spirit form or something, while a ’full’ summon can only be done by Dominants in the story.

And I really hope we get playable party members, but with the game’s apparent focus on a character action style combat system, it’s hard to see how that’s possible. They would basically have to design unique battle styles for each party member, each of which would have to be balanced individually in regard to the game’s difficulty. I’m pretty sure that’s also the reason why Noctis is the only playable character in FF 15.

Hudo

Yes. He's no longer fully employed by SE.

I love his work so much. Some illustrations and concepts he did for FFXII and FFXIV are some of my favorite artworks in video game concept art. His traditional pen work is a breath of fresh air especially today in an industry that 99% is all about 3D and photobashing.
Yeah, him, Yoshitaka Amano and Tomomi Kobayashi are my 3 favourite artists out of Square.

Myths

In the trailer, one character expressed surprise at the existence of a second fire eikon (Ifrit), claiming it to be "impossible".

Maybe there's a whole bunch of new eikos appearing in the world and sharing elemental attributes with existing ones?
I think they mentioned there’s a second realm not seen (outside of Valisthea), so perhaps there are “Dark Elementals/Crystals/Fiends” in the same style of FF4 and FF3. Basically, a second roster of summons to the elements and crystals.

sublimit

Banned
The character designer is Kazuya Takahashi, from FFXIV:ARR and HW.

Check the signature:
FFXVI_MediaKit_04.png
Well his work looks a lot like Yoshida's especially the character faces. I remeber i had seen the work of another Japanese artist sometime ago that reminded me of Yoshida.Maybe it was this one.

Is this the same artist who worked on the Legend of Legacy as well? Because that artist's work also looked a lot like Yoshida's (his more cute work).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I like the world with all the kingdoms. I hope it's big and cool to explore. Promising lure so far, I hope the game delivers on exploring that in-game.

Myths

Well his work looks a lot like Yoshida's especially the character faces. I remeber i had seen the work of another Japanese artist sometime ago that reminded me of Yoshida.Maybe it was this one.

Is this the same artist who worked on the Legend of Legacy as well? Because that artist's work also looked a lot like Yoshida's (his more cute work).
His work definitely is reminiscent of Yoshida, although you can see the difference once you stop carefully. I could've sworn it was Yoshida who did the redesign for FF3 DS (which is amazing). For Minaba, his outlines are more pronounced on his artwork. Yoshida appears "sketchy" or crosshatched whereas Takahashi seems to favor watercolor or wet edges. I could be way off mark, but that's what it seems like.

Still one of my favorites:
OIP.1VnfNQaMHur1LqIYCqlI-gHaKj

Whatever the case, I'm only glad we're in this setting and art direction they've laid out. Here's to hoping the graphics are improved by release to better reflect the game's style.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels

This is generally the heavensward team that is in charge of ff16, and they've been hugely influenced by past Matsuno's games, or have been part of Matsuno's teams, although at lesser roles. They are pretty much the successors, the second generation, of that style of game.

Last edited:
way too early to call anything like that
I don't know about that, when all the combat footage they've shown is just the MC (Clive) using different summons and they've just announced that intital development is complete, add to that the fact that Yoshi P is obviously influenced by modern western fantasy games AKA The Witcher tells me there's a strong chance there will not be any traditional party members.

Kev Kev

I just want to see moogles and more chocobos
agreed! although chocobos were a lot of fun in FFXV, they could have done soooooo much more. still, i was very happy to haul ass around FFXVs world with my party all on my colorful chocobos. that was a holy shit this feels like FF moment.

Esca

agreed! although chocobos were a lot of fun in FFXV, they could have done soooooo much more. still, i was very happy to haul ass around FFXVs world with my party all on my colorful chocobos. that was a holy shit this feels like FF moment.
Yeah I love chocobos, even have a license plate frame on my car that says my other ride is a chocobo. :D

But moogles are my ultimate love. Ever since seeing mog in ff6 on the snes

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Yeah I love chocobos, even have a license plate frame on my car that says my other ride is a chocoholic. :D

But moogles are my ultimate love. Ever since seeing mog in ff6 on the snes
well then i bet you just looooooooved this
images

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

whitesugar

Banned
i just want the combat to be good. not like the abomination of the last game

also, Clive is the worst main character name in a while

Kokoloko85

Im so hyped for this.
Look so much better than the last 10 years of FF probably since FF9.

FF16, Elden Ring, Gran Turismo 7, and God of War Ragnarok.... 2021 is gonna be amazing

YukiOnna

Lots of good setting information. Some similarities to how FFXIV handles Eorzea lore actually and the Holy Empire stuff is just like Ishgard, lol.

So assuming I'm not an idiot, the Mothercrystal is called Drake? and the each draw Aether from a piece of it? Unless I'm misunderstanding what Drake is. And looks like Joshua is killed or something which sets Clive on his revenge quest?

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
FFXVI seems to take several ideas from previous Square games.

FFXV: An invading empire that is there for the crystal, in a world where there is a neutral venice-inspired town. The main character is royalty, with his father having died early on, and gets caught by a dragoon character from the air, which he battles while using Warp Strikes. Time skip that makes him older and rougher. Some kind of "blight" too.
FFXIV: Mothercrystals that draw aether, eikons, beastman at war with humans, Holy Empire of dragoons with a Ishgardian-ish city (where a dragon was drawn in its artwork).
FFXIII: Chosen people are cursed by a superior entity/ thing against their own will, and in some places chasen to death. Some kind of "blight" too.
FFXII, FFT, Vagrant Story and Tactics Ogre: The name Rosaria, the various different factions potentially fighting for the same land, blond-haired kid named Joshua that is the son of a duke and is heavily tied with that world's magic, Jill being taken by Rosfield's family and becoming part of it like Delita or Catiua.
The Last Remnant: Where it had giant relics (instead of crystals) towering over cities.

And then there's the obvious influences from recent popular media. The factions and their banners are also very remniescent of Game of Thrones, and so is the tone of the game. Eikons and dominants seem loosely inspired by Attack on Titan, where somewhere infriltrated in society exist humans who can transform into powerful beings, and are either percuted or used as tools of war for that.

Last edited:
Is this thing connected with the boyband group in ff15 or it's a new story?
Every numbered FF game is its own story. The sequels are given some sort of subtitle or have "-2" attached to the end. For example, Final Fantasy X's sequel is Final Fantasy X-2, and Final Fantasy IV's sequel is Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. You can always jump in to a new numbered entry and enjoy it as its own thing.

GymWolf

Every numbered FF game is its own story. The sequels are given some sort of subtitle or have "-2" attached to the end. For example, Final Fantasy X's sequel is Final Fantasy X-2, and Final Fantasy IV's sequel is Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. You can always jump in to a new numbered entry and enjoy it as its own thing.
I know that it's usually like that, but i'm always ready for modern square to let me down in some way :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
And in the trailer, the main guy kinda looked like a grown up noctis, but i only watched that trailer one time during the conference with lags etc.

Last edited:

Teslerum

I know that it's usually like that, but i'm always ready for modern square to let me down in some way :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
And in the trailer, the main guy kinda looked like a grown up noctis, but i only watched that trailer one time during the conference with lags etc.

You just have to think that it's a completely different team to most modern FF's. No Kitase, No Nomura, No Nojima, No Motomu Toriyama, No Tabata, No nothing.

A side of the company that is spiritually much closer to Tactics, Vagrant Story, IX and XII.

Top Bottom