• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Website

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yes it does. Exclusivity is important in every area of life. If everybody had Ferraris then nobody would aspire to have one. If there weren't limited pairs of exclusive sneakers then there would be no sneaker culture. It makes my purchase feel all the more worth it.

You do realize that millions will own PS5s and be playing this game on release right? Hardly an exclusive experience. I find it really petty that this is important to anyone, but I guess you need to find ways to keep justifying the PS5 purchase by comparing it to owning a car that cost as much as a modest midwestern suburban home.

N30RYU

kv_pc.jpg

Not on the basis of that being exlusive. I would enjoy that content just as much if it was available to everyone.

What about if the author came out with a new book and allowed you and perhaps a few others to get an early preview before anybody else and so you knew the story far ahead of time? No further joy to be gained from it?

You do realize that millions will own PS5s and be playing this game on release right? Hardly an exclusive experience. I find it really petty that this is important to anyone, but I guess you need to find ways to keep justifying the PS5 purchase by comparing it to owning a car that cost as much as a modest midwestern suburban home.

It's exclusive to the platform. There's really no way to make me feel bad about this, I like the idea of exclusivity. It's selfish, but other people missing out doesn't harm my own personal enjoyment, it heightens it.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
What about if the author came out with a new book and allowed you and perhaps a few others to get an early preview before anybody else and so you knew the story far ahead of time? No further joy to be gained from it?

Why would it? My enjoyment comes from the content, not how many others can enjoy it.

Reading a preview doesn't sound interesting, I'd rather read the whole book, than just a little bit I have to reread when I finally get the whole thing.

But okay, this is a derail that probably doesn't add much value to this thread :)

Not on the basis of that being exlusive. I would enjoy that content just as much if it was available to everyone.

I know why they exist from the point of view of a platform holder, I'm trying to understand the mentality of being happy something is available to you, and not someone else.

If Disney+ and Netflix and all the others got combined into one I'd be happy. It sucks having so many services you have to choose from. I'd take everything in one place without blinking.

I see what you are saying and I definitely understand. Exclusives do give your product or service an identity. Im guessing it’s kind of bragging rights for certain gamers or something which is pretty silly imo. I do see where you are coming from with having to buy multiple boxes just to play everything you want though.

Last edited:
The more I read into it, the more I feel like this is inspired by Attack on Titans by a small margin with their talk of Dominants and Eikons.

Rewatching the reveal, and talking about hunting the Dominant for Shiva, really rings Attack on Titan vibes.

And I am. Fucking. Hyped.

I wasnt at first, but now with knowing the story more and understanding the context of trailer, I'm alllllll aboard the hype train.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
It's nice for a change that our protagonist isn't named Sky Edgelord, Rain Broodheart or the like.

Last edited:

Teslerum

It's also different than the traditional "element" name of the protagonist (Cloud, Lightning, Noctis, Tidus ...)

That's a tradition of the side of Square Enix that is not involved in this game. (And working on FF7Remake)
So why would it?

FF9, Tactics and 12 certainly didn't feature it. Which are closer to FF16's team and its mindset.

Last edited:

mejin

Yes it does. Exclusivity is important in every area of life. If everybody had Ferraris then nobody would aspire to have one. If there weren't limited pairs of exclusive sneakers then there would be no sneaker culture. It makes my purchase feel all the more worth it.

you actually don't have to explain shit. If you feel good, you feel good and that's it. If anyone feels bothered that's on them haha

Teslerum

The more I read into it, the more I feel like this is inspired by Attack on Titans by a small margin with their talk of Dominants and Eikons.

Rewatching the reveal, and talking about hunting the Dominant for Shiva, really rings Attack on Titan vibes.

And I am. Fucking. Hyped.

I wasnt at first, but now with knowing the story more and understanding the context of trailer, I'm alllllll aboard the hype train.

I mean I don't get that? Summoners and the danger of their summons have been a staple since Final Fantasy 4. Unless I missed something and Dominants turn into their summons? In that case FF has done similar too before.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Wow.... Hype level to maximum for me !

Love the art and flavour. Sounds really medieval/fantasy !
I am not entirely familiar with the Final Fantasy universe but I was surprised they mentionned Orcs (Kingdom of the Waloed description). A pleasant surprise.

Kumomeme

i posted this on other thread with same content..didnt realized we had 2 similliar thread.

so lets guess which dominant reside for each nation while added some wild speculation

Rosaria: Pheonix(confirmed)

flag_rosaria.png

Sanbreque: Shiva?
flag_sanbreque.png

(the dragon might related to shiva like how it is in Heavensward, also there chances Dragoon coming from there)

Waloed: Odin?
flag_waloed.png

Dhalmekian: Titan(confirmed)
flag_dhalmekian.png

Iron Kingdom didnt have dominant. so im guessing it probably some advance nation that didnt rely on eikon. There is advance gear set called "ironworks" and Cid has his own engineering company with that name in XIV, so Cid will be from there? also there is anchor in the flag. So pirate? Navy?
flag_iron.png

also, iron dwarf and iron giant:

tenor.png
3d97a26205526526e9211df59faa14c0.jpg

Crystalline Dominion has no dominant and from the flag we can see other nation emblem there.
flag_crystalline.png

there also probably other dominant in the game, like garuda, ramuh, leviathan etc.
the MC get his pheonix power by blessing of his brother..in the trailer he wield many type of eikon power. Did he get blessing from other dominant?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
He's a freelancer as well, right?
Yes. He's no longer fully employed by SE.

I love his work so much. Some illustrations and concepts he did for FFXII and FFXIV are some of my favorite artworks in video game concept art. His traditional pen work is a breath of fresh air especially today in an industry that 99% is all about 3D and photobashing.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned

I am not entirely familiar with the Final Fantasy universe but I was surprised they mentionned Orcs (Kingdom of the Waloed description). A pleasant surprise.

Yeah I noticed that too. I've been an orc fan since the 90s so that get me excited. Very curious to see their design. I hope they're badass.

Teslerum

This is their first appearance in a single-player mainline game by name. They have appeared multiple times in related titles though, Vagrant Story (which plays in Ivalice), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light and Bravely Default.

Last edited:

Myths

That artwork, is it.. Yoshida? Oh my god. This is so reminscent of FF3 + FF12, I totally called it. Just my type of direction. They took the houses of FF12, gave them each a proper defender entitled to a summon practically and combined with the wonder of FF3's world too. Seeing "Rosaria" takes me back to how much they screwed us over not giving us any type of travel to "Rozarria" in FF12. Imagine this is also in some alternate universe, like so many other theories out there.

Last edited:

Teslerum

That artwork, is it.. Yoshida? Oh my god.
It's not surprising. Yoshida has been heavily involved with that team when he worked at Square and even now as a freelancer. The question is how deep his role goes or if it only applies to main character designs.

Last edited:

Myths

It's not surprising. Yoshida has been heavily involved with that team when he worked at Square and even now as a freelancer. The question is how deep his role goes or if it only applies to main character designs.
I'm only surprised that he's finally being used for a single-player offline (perhaps) mainline title again. We'd been longing for the switch up - it's been way too long.

And yes, as with Ivalice Alliance I would have expected them to have used him (same with FFXI and FFXIV) as it seems to be something more classy and detailed compared to other SE teams about the way this team works overall (from story to worldbuilding and character designs).

I mean I don't get that? Summoners and the danger of their summons have been a staple since Final Fantasy 4. Unless I missed something and Dominants turn into their summons? In that case FF has done similar too before.

Perhaps not, but it seems like there's more controversy to Summoners than before based on the description where some Dominants and their Eikon's are regarded as royals, where others are either feared, or held hostage and abused for their Eikon's.

So it feels very similar to Titans, in a sense, in which they're use militarily - and hunted down individually.

I could be wrong, but I get that AOT vibes.

Teslerum

Perhaps not, but it seems like there's more controversy to Summoners than before based on the description where some Dominants and their Eikon's are regarded as royals, where others are either feared, or held hostage and abused for their Eikon's.

I mean both of those things/variations exist already in Final Fantasy as well. Summoner abuse being or having a special place in society featured multiple times. IV, IX, X, Type-0. (VI being a special case, with the summons being usable by everybody, but the summons themselves having agency and major abuse behind them, also the main character being technically a summon)

And don't get me wrong here, I fully assume XVI's interpretation will be plenty unique, but I personally don't see the AOT connection for concepts that already existed in Final Fantasy.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
That's a tradition of the side of Square Enix that is not involved in this game. (And working on FF7Remake)
So why would it?

FF9, Tactics and 12 certainly didn't feature it. Which are closer to FF16's team and its mindset.
And that's cool. I loved FFT/Vagrant Story. I hope for a complex, dark story (y)

Carna

Banned
late to the party on what i'm going to say, but i like how the english voice actors are actually putting in the effort to make the characters sound "alive", i don't get that with anime dub voice actors, whom get roles via nepotism, and monopoly-ran industries. and overall half-ass their performances.

i am skeptical of getting a PS5, but this game looks Extremely exciting to me.

A first party, big budget JRPG from SIE would be great, but it seems like Sony has gave up on them long ago unfortunately. FF16 will probably be all we get for awhile for big budget JRPGS on PlayStation.
What do you mean? I thought that PS has a lot of JRPGs no? Or is it Switch these days?

So why would it?

I think it is the same group as Jill Valetine, Chris Redfield etc. this time. Some inspirations from them at least.

Last edited:

John Day

So fucking HYPED! Cool to know a bit more about the world. Those crystals seem tied to Bahamut (the names just give it away anyways).

Anyways... CHOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOO MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!
mDB4lfh.jpg

I need this poster in my LIFE!!

Fbh

The artwork looks amazing and it's definitely nice seeing the franchise return to a more medieval setting.

Not feeling the characters so far though. They sound like generic shounen 101, and kids/teens are almost always the worst part of JRPG's. Hopefully there's a time skip or something....or at least we get to play a substantial amount of time with the older dude, or maybe there's some player choice where you can decide to spend more time with one character over the other.

Is this thing connected with the boyband group in ff15 or it's a new story?

If it's like the other mainline entries it shouldn't.
Should be a new world and a new cast of characters completely unrelated to XV

Bryank75

Banned
I forgot this was for next year, 2021 is so stacked I am having a hard time remembering everything releasing on PS5.
Makes it well worth getting in early. Glad I started getting into Final Fantasy after years of putting it off.... great games.

Myths

I would think there are a few rogue Eikons out there, who aren't royalty. Wouldn't surprise me if there were some sort of antagonist as usual. Oh, I'm way off. Yeah, that's the guy behind FF3, FF11, and the like.

Hideo Minaba and Akihiko Yoshida have damn good styles as well as Takahashi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom