• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Targets 60 FPS in Performance Mode, but Combat Will Be Better Optimized

Yep, pretty satisfying. They even had to change my tag after I embarrassed them 🤣
Dude, people weren't mocking the VRR tech in general. They were mocking the fact you were acting like it solves everything to do with dropping frames, especially when earlier on a lot of PS5 games had stable frame rates and Series X games were more unstable.

Go_Ly_Dow

Are they?

Horizon FW shipped with an 1800p cb mode that looked like dogshit that literally took 4 months to fix. Even then it required several downgrades to foliage density and draw distance besides the massive drop in pixels from 8.2 million all the way down to 2.8 million.

Dead Space's 60 fps mode runs at a internal resolution of 960p.

Returnal runs at an internal resolution of 1080p.

Spiderman Miles' RT performance mode can drop all the way down to 1080p during intensive areas and thats a last gen game.

RE4 had massive IQ issues in its performance modes. On XSX where it didnt have IQ issues, the game was dropping to 35 fps.

Gotham KNights was locked at 30 fps.

Hogwarts drops to 1080p and still has drops.

Plague's tale 60 fps mode just came out and is a huge downgrade in fidelity with massive cuts to foliage rendering, draw distance and even NPC counts.

Metro dropped below 1080p on PS5.

Guardians dropped below 60 fps at just 1080p on PS5 and XSX.

Yes, they might not be dropping down to 600p, but 1080p or sub 1080 with severe downgrades to visual fidelity isnt really acceptable. I dont know how you can tell people to get a PC but balk at the suggestion that we might need mid gen consoles.
Whilst the PS5 is a big step up from PS4, I think many underestimated how much power stuff flike 1440-2160p resolution, 60fps and RT features would need. Funny you get people still whining that XVI's graphics are "last gen" or whatever, as it sounds like a wise move to not overly focus on graphics, so they can ship a game on time that has the scope needed for a new numbered FF.

J
You are an ignorant.
30fps can be fine. You know nothing about gaming if you wont play a game because it’s 30fps.
And forspoken is one of best games this year. Only a fool would ignore it because of memes.

Just curious do you have an Oled or LCD TV? Because lately you are all about 30 fps. I play some games at 30 on ps5 on Oled to get some actual glimmer of next gen visuals in a few games but it's NEVER ideal. If my eyes are tired or im tired it takes a lot of effort just to play like this. can really feel the extra strain.

When I used to play on LCD 30 was more tolerable.

PS-40 fps seems like it's JUST enough frames to really help that straining issue I have. Every game should include a 40 fps fidelity mode.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking forward to that stable 60 fps in Starfield, if that’s the expectation nowadays.

This is a character action game, starfield was never pegged to be that. I think starfield will be 30fps but I'll be playing on PC anyway becuase 30fps on an oled looks absolutely terrible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
J

Just curious do you have an Oled or LCD TV? Because lately you are all about 30 fps. I play some games at 30 on ps5 on Oled to get some actual glimmer of next gen visuals in a few games but it's NEVER ideal. If my eyes are tired or im tired it takes a lot of effort just to play like this. can really feel the extra strain.

When I used to play on LCD 30 was more tolerable
oled and I know what you are saying about. 30fps is kinda terrible even more so on OLED.
I only played few games at 30fps this gen... like Uncharted 4 ps5 port and HFW.
And out of these two games, uc4 looked better at 30fps due to heavy motion blur which helps on oled.
So yes, while praising 30fps a lot, it got more to do so with the past. Currently I am more often than not choosing 40 or 60fps mode if it's not too compromised.
30fps modes just have unreasonable input lag... way worse than it should be and too low motion blur. It is popular to hate on motion blur and in result 30fps looks like shit. People don't know what they wish for

oled and I know what you are saying about. 30fps is kinda terrible even more so on OLED.
I only played few games at 30fps this gen... like Uncharted 4 ps5 port and HFW.
And out of these two games, uc4 looked better at 30fps due to heavy motion blur which helps on oled.
So yes, while praising 30fps a lot, it got more to do so with the past. Currently I am more often than not choosing 40 or 60fps mode if it's not too compromised.
30fps modes just have unreasonable input lag... way worse than it should be and too low motion blur. It is popular to hate on motion blur and in result 30fps looks like shit. People don't know what they wish for

Yeah Sam's...40 fps ftw ..unfortunately I have a c8 which does 120 fps but lacks the bandwidth of the newer models which causes black crush in some 40 fps games.

Markio128

This is a character action game, starfield was never pegged to be that. I think starfield will be 30fps but I'll be playing on PC anyway becuase 30fps on an oled looks absolutely terrible.
I’d be a bit disappointed if there wasn’t a 60 fps mode on Series X, if I’m being honest, but I can live with super stable 30 fps I suppose. I’m not concerned at all about the performance of FF16, especially if combat is a solid 60.

What’s with the thread title? When I read it out loud, it sounds like 2 different statements that belong in different sentences. Who writes this shit a 5 year old.

Is this the first AAA game developer doing an almost but not quite 60 in combat and a 30 sometimes above 30 in the free roam?
I’m guessing this works because in combat your in a “ring” think boxing
And it’s not actually taken place in the open world segments?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’d be a bit disappointed if there wasn’t a 60 fps mode on Series X, if I’m being honest, but I can live with super stable 30 fps I suppose. I’m not concerned at all about the performance of FF16, especially if combat is a solid 60.
I completely agree, series x should have a 1080p or so 60fps mode with cut back effects. Fingers crossed.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Critics dont care if the game runs at 10 FPS, it'll still get 9 and 10 for no reason. Would suck major balls if combat is 60 and exploration is 30, what the fuck, thats fucking horseshit. I was genuinely excited but guess I'll skip it and wait for PC. Also lol at lowering visual fidelity of the game in combat. Heres a million fire effects while we lower the quality of everything around you sounds like a fucking mess. Why did I buy a PS5...? Its already obsolete like holy fuck...once the pro model drops might as well just throw it in the trash, as a PC user.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

This is way I buy games 1 year after the release date. I get a better experience for half of the price (or even less)
I'm hyped to play FF16... ...in 2024.

yamaci17

I'm really baffled where all these extra resources are going considering games barely look any better than last gen in performance mode.
?

pretty simple: more shortcuts, less time for devs to spend on optimization, less money to spent on devs

Top Bottom