• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Denies Existence of a PC Version, Asks Fans To Buy PS5 To Play The Game

Japan market has become irrelevant. For a series such as Final Fantasy, I am pretty sure they get the most sales in the West.
Your personal perception of Japan's market doesn't change anything about what I've said.
16 can either make it and open up a window for certain type of releases in that market or break it and let Nintendo be fully in charge of everything there.

Elios83

While the contract with Sony covers a 6 months full exclusivity it's not certain that they have a PC version ready to be released precisely in that moment aka January 2024.
It's the same thing happened with FF7R.

jm89

All this saltiness with the ff16 :messenger_grinning_squinting:

FF16 sales will be huge on release, and it will alone make sales of ps5 in japan explode. Deal with it.

All those saying "oh i won't get a ps5", you where never gonna get it, just stop it.

Last edited:
Definitely what is going to happen, obviously. It is not about a "personal perception", but rather looking at sales there and accepting the situation.
Looking at sales charts would let you know that a fuckton of games sell well in Japan and that that market is everything but irrelevant.
Publishers being unable to capture the interest of the masses there is their own fault.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Pc version confirmed then.

If this thing comes out in a busy month i could wait for the steam version, no rush or hype to play this thing tbh.

cireza

Banned
Looking at sales charts would let you know that a fuckton of games sell well in Japan and that that market is everything but irrelevant.
Publishers being unable to capture the interest of the masses there is their own fault.
We are talking about a PS5 game, not mobile games. PS5 sales certainly haven't been stellar so far, unlike Switch. The trend is weak there, it already was with PS4. The interest for home consoles is low. FF XVI certainly isn't going to change things drastically.

Last edited:
We are talking about a PS5 game, not mobile games. PS5 sales certainly haven't been stellar so far, unlike Switch. The trend is weak there, it already was with PS4. The interest for home consoles is low. FF XVI certainly isn't going to change things drastically.
I don't understand why you even interjected my first post when you've been pretty much repeating what I already said.
But anyway, 16 is the 13 of this generation: it's a heavy role and I'm really curious about what sort of impact it will have on Square Enix as a developer if it succeeds or fails domestically and globally.

bitbydeath

Japan is Sony’s second biggest market. They’re not pulling in Nintendo’s numbers but they are still massive compared to the rest of the world.

Utherellus

bruh

PfIk5Km.png

Holammer

They have a marketing deal with Sony, he can't say they have a PC version in the works (which they do) even if he wants.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was going to buy PS5 version regardless since I’m not in to or even own gaming PC.

With that being said I can understand a little not wanting come out on Xbox but why not just release both PC version and PS5 version at the same time?

My guess is SE needs time to do proper PC version.

Yeah because Sony has never paid for any timed exclusives…. 😂🤣😭

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'll wait for the PC version. Square Enix said the same thing about FF15 and FF7R. And here we are. I'll wait for the super ultra deluxe version. Or if it's more movie then game just watch it online.

>:Y

murmulis

Obviously ain't all games made on a PC in some capacity.
Ability to run the game in editor and ability to package the game as a playable build on PC are two different things.

Nowadays with cross-platform engines like Unreal and Unity it's not that difficult to port games to PC.

But it wasn't always like that. Back in the day not all engines supported multiple platforms. So if you made a game for, say, PS1 - you had to deploy it to a PS1 devkit to test it. It didn't work on a PC at all.

Don't know how Nintendo inhouse engines work, but would not be surprised if they don't actually have the ability to build a PC version.

Go_Ly_Dow

My guess is this will release 12-18 months after PS5 launch on PC.

Reason: 6 months after this launches on PS5, they are releasing FFVII Rebirth. So they're not going to release XVI on PC in the same time period.

Simples.

Last edited:

Rykan

Our money, we can be as petty as we want with it.
You can do with your money as you please. Just don't expect people to not make fun of statements like "Launching a game on a launcher that is not my preferred choice means it doesn't count as a PC launch".

fermcr

Not getting a PS5 for this game. I'll purchase the game when it's dirt cheap on PC. Developers that make timed exclusives deals don't deserve to get full price for their games...

As for Square and Sony, just get a room and make their union official already. Everyone knows that Square will be purchased by Sony sooner or later.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ability to run the game in editor and ability to package the game as a playable build on PC are two different things.

Nowadays with cross-platform engines like Unreal and Unity it's not that difficult to port games to PC.

But it wasn't always like that. Back in the day not all engines supported multiple platforms. So if you made a game for, say, PS1 - you had to deploy it to a PS1 devkit to test it. It didn't work on a PC at all.

Don't know how Nintendo inhouse engines work, but would not be surprised if they don't actually have the ability to build a PC version.
Sorry my sarcasm wasn't obvious.
This was a jab at the "all games have a PC version because they use them to make them"
Obviously this isn't apparent to those who know the actual process of games development like yourself and others that have quoted me because you wouldn't have thought of something so stupid 👍

Graciaus

You can do with your money as you please. Just don't expect people to not make fun of statements like "Launching a game on a launcher that is not my preferred choice means it doesn't count as a PC launch".
You can laugh all you want. Epic should release their year end review soon and it'll show no growth or sales once again. People actually DO care believe it or not.

ACESHIGH

Banned
And this is why I am fine with MS purchasing publishers but would hate Sony and Nintendo doing tve same. At least APC version is guaranteed.

Kokoloko85

It is what it is. One day probably next gen the new FF will release same day consoles and PC. But I guess Sony/SE just isnt ready for that and they think there is financial incentive for making this a timed exclusive. I will just wait then.

At the very least, you make sales on double dippers. And have less chance people migrating to PC
People using Steam instead of PSN for game purchases = bad news for PS

GHG

Gold Member
I'll just double dip if the game is actually any good.

Day one on PS5 in the living room with surround sound etc and then I'll get the PC version at a later date for the high framerate maxed out experience.

But for that to happen the game actually needs to be great. So up to them in that regard, it's all I care about.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Japan is Sony’s second biggest market. They’re not pulling in Nintendo’s numbers but they are still massive compared to the rest of the world.
That's 2 millions consoles compared to 28 millions in the rest of the world. Not insignificant, but certainly not worth extraordinary efforts and investments either.

Filben

Of course he gonna promote Sony.

Guess he'd gotten an angry phone call if he said: yeah it's coming, so PC folks better wait instead of buying day one and bundled with a PS5.

Remember, these companies first and foremost want to push their sales. They're rarely straight forward and Gamer friendly and contrary to some popular marketing slogan not "for the players" but shareholders.

I don't want to sound overly negative. It's a well established practice and transaction between companies and consumer. But it just means we shouldn't get to excited one way or the other over such statements.

Overall, PC market is too big to ignore for most companies sooner or later.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Of course he gonna promote Sony.

Guess he'd gotten an angry phone call if he said: yeah it's coming, so PC folks better wait instead of buying day one and bundled with a PS5.

Remember, these companies first and foremost want to push their sales. They're rarely straight forward and Gamer friendly and contrary to some popular marketing slogan not "for the players" but shareholders.

I don't want to sound overly negative. It's a well established practice and transaction between companies and consumer. But it just means we shouldn't get to excited one way or the other over such statements.

Overall, PC market is too big to ignore for most companies sooner or later.
It’s pretty clear he was deflecting and not denying it outright. That doesn’t imply that it is definitely coming to PC. But it is exactly the kind of thing you’d say if you’re not allowed to talk about it yet/don’t want to piss off the people paying you big bucks for timed exclusivity.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No one complained about Nintendo blocking access to PC for Monster Hunter Rise and they’re in even less competition than ps5 and pc
1. Nintendo exclusives aren't really exclusives when yuzu exists
2. Switches are far easier to get and are cheaper than a ps5 not to mention there's more of them out there
3. Monster hunter was timed exclusive for 10 months and released quickly onto PC after the fact. Capcom also made that very clear
This is timed exclusive for God knows how long. Could be 10 months or 10 years

Last edited:
Don't we do that everytime? All FF games have being released on PC and we already know this was a timed console exclusive because they actually said that previously.

The producer obviously can't say anything on the matter because of NDA. He won't praise the PC version now! He'll do that after some time (probably in less than a year).

Last edited:

Neilg

But that's completely wrong. You said "running the game on the engine itself". The game isn't "running on the engine itself", it's running on Windows.

And you cannot name a single example of that happening. You're basically telling us Square wasted thousands of man-hours developing a PC version they'll never use, because why?

Except that there is a working Windows version that runs well. If there was no intent on porting the game to PC, the developer would have never bothered going to the lengths that it takes to have the game run properly. That final 20% to have the game not crash, bug, and render like shit is the longest and hardest part of the development. Square wouldn't have done it unless they're working on a PC version.

Plus, why would they show a PC version instead of the PS5 version that should be much further along? Your arguments make no sense.

Here is what the team who ported GOW to PC said:

But according to you, it's as simple as pushing "Play" on their PC editor and have the game run. Sure.

Sorry dude but lol. you know they're making FF16 in UE?
there's a lot of work that goes into making a native PC port of a UE game still, but you can also throw a 4090 and 128gb of ram at it and render out cutscenes. You can actually do this before you've even figured out how to get the game to run on the devkit. That doesn't mean the game is playable on windows, the first trailer was just cutscenes rendered out at 1fps from the editor. That's what he meant by running the game on the engine. If you'd ever used it you would have understood what that meant.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/AnimatingObjects/Sequencer/HowTo/RenderMovies/
It's mostly used for internal reviews and feedback, but can also be used to cut a trailer before anything resembling a 'game' is running.
All of this flexibility is the main reason WHY devs use UE, and more and more of them are switching. You can start building scenes, lighting and animation before anything is ready to push to a console.

GOW was not made in UE.

I would bet money they will make a PC version. it's kind of dumb not to if you used UE. but it won't be out in 6 months (maybe 18) and it won't have had any real work done to it to make it playable.

maybe try and be a bit less cocksure about things you dont actually know about. a lot of people on this forum work with this stuff daily...

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Sorry dude but lol. you know they're making FF16 in UE?
there's a lot of work that goes into making a native PC port of a UE game still, but you can also throw a 4090 and 128gb of ram at it and render out cutscenes.
And that will stop it from having bugs and glitches? Everything will render correctly without any issue? Basically, the only thing they do is "optimize" the game?
You can actually do this before you've even figured out how to get the game to run on the devkit. That doesn't mean the game is playable on windows, the first trailer was just cutscenes rendered out at 1fps from the editor. That's what he meant by running the game on the engine. If you'd ever used it you would have understood what that meant.
We've all used the City Sample demo on UE5. Now people think they actually know how game development works. It's easy bro, just run it in the editor, there won't be any issue. Throw a 4090 (that didn't exist at the time) and 128GB and it will circumvent any and every issue.
All of this flexibility is the main reason WHY devs use UE, and more and more of them are switching. You can start building scenes, lighting and animation before anything is ready to push to a console.

GOW was not made in UE.
Cool, now show me games where it says "captured on PC" that never had a planned PC release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom