• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Previews are Dropping

Kumomeme

more menu screenshot shared by Gematsu

JA0e5Cy.jpeg

tDNFWhd.jpeg

2CZlisx.jpeg

jcmbJHU.jpeg

Okll36C.jpeg

l9wxALv.jpeg

paexIWa.jpeg

KryJeIe.jpeg

MPdf3aB.jpeg

Felessan

The only reason it's named "Final Fantasy 11" is for marketing reasons. I think that's pretty self evident.
No.
It's bona fide Final Fantasy, and one of the best at it. Same way FF14 considered one of the best Final Fantasy.
It's MMO, but a lot of efforts was put into storytelling and world-building to make it a great JRPG.

Again, RPGs emphasize character skill rather than player skill.
Some player skill will always be prevalent regardless of the genre, but in RPGs it's character skill that takes the central stage.
If you can't see the difference between a game like CS:GO that emphasizes player skill and MMORPGs that favor character skill, this just exposes how misguided your statements are.
JRPG is a genre focused on storytelling. That's all. And RPG as a whole is just a genre "a story with numbers" - how do you play it is your choice. It goes from heavy roleplay to funky to heavy munchkin style of play - it's a choice of personal preference. And munchkin style does incorporate "heavy reliance on player skill" type of play (munchkin in general is a player (meta) game, not a character game).
And regarding skill - why do you thing that FF16, even though it'll have an action combat, will not have skill(character)-based combat?
Where is an edge that separate player skill and character skill, if MMO is a "character" skill combat and CS:GO is a "player" skill combat?
(savage mode raids requires player skills on par with CS go, btw)

Still waiting for Pokemon to "evolve" past turn-based in order to become mainstream and sell 20 million copies.
Oh, wait. You're just spouting nonsense again.
Pokemon is not about turn-based. It's about collecting. And collecting is as mainstream as anyone can get - ask gacha games, those earns billions and look leviathan even compared to the likes of Pokemon.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So far I'm loving everthing I seen so far this game. I still LOOOOVE turn based combat in my JRPG and thankfully I'm getting that with Octopath, DQ and SMT.

I can still enjoy action combat and it looks like FFXVI is going have fucking amazing action combat.

Kev Kev

JA0e5Cy.jpeg

tDNFWhd.jpeg

2CZlisx.jpeg

jcmbJHU.jpeg

Okll36C.jpeg

l9wxALv.jpeg

paexIWa.jpeg

KryJeIe.jpeg

MPdf3aB.jpeg
As silly as it sounds, a slick menu that's intuitive and easy to navigate is really important to me in an FF. Dare I say that I sometimes have fun poking around in menus, organizing and upgrading. And I like the looks of these so far. Glad we are seeing more screenshots of the game that aren't battle arenas and cut scenes. Thanks for sharing!

I hope we see more throwback-y stuff like this...
nYJjhzJ.png

Last edited:
I wish they had the balls to go full Dragons Dogma with this one if FF is gonna be real time going forward.

They clearly are targeting Skyrim/Witcher 3 audiance/ sales with this one.

Hopefully it's not another half baked combat system that fails to create an identity for itself.

oji-san

Banned

JA0e5Cy.jpeg

tDNFWhd.jpeg

2CZlisx.jpeg

jcmbJHU.jpeg

Okll36C.jpeg

l9wxALv.jpeg

paexIWa.jpeg

KryJeIe.jpeg

MPdf3aB.jpeg

Nice, thanks for that, helps a bit to understand how the combat works, i see no heavy attack button, so it's square to melee attack, and hold R2 to abilities, sounds good, i just hope the melee combat is better then XV that i didn't click with it.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
No.
It's bona fide Final Fantasy, and one of the best at it. Same way FF14 considered one of the best Final Fantasy.
It's MMO, but a lot of efforts was put into storytelling and world-building to make it a great JRPG.
MMOs are designed to focus on player-to-player interaction, which requires a whole different design than offline games.
Claiming they're the same is pointless. Comparing MMO FF to offline FF doesn't make any sense at all.

JRPG is a genre focused on storytelling. That's all.
Story *and* combat.
Remove combat and you have a visual novel or adventure game.

And regarding skill - why do you thing that FF16, even though it'll have an action combat, will not have skill(character)-based combat?
I made very clear that action games *EMPHASIZE* player skill. I never said anything about not having some character skill involved.
Save for games like Tetris, card games and others, if there is a virtual character there is *always* character skill to some degree.
The important thing to consider is *where* the emphasis is.

Where is an edge that separate player skill and character skill, if MMO is a "character" skill combat and CS:GO is a "player" skill combat?
The more you depend of your characters skills to win challenges, the more character-skill dependent the game is.

Take dodging as an example:
If your character dodges enemy attacks based on some number such as "agility", then it's character-skill dependent (such as Final Fantasy 1, 5, 7, 10, etc)
If your character dodges enemy attacks because you pressed the button at the right time, then it's player-skill dependent (such as Dark Souls, Zelda, etc)

Final Fantasy always put emphasis on characters skills (the "action" trend started with FF15)

Pokemon is not about turn-based. It's about collecting
Sorry, got nothing against you pal, but I'm putting you on ignore.
This conversation has gone long enough, and you're already holding onto nonsensical statements like the one above just to have something to disagree.

If you feel like this game is for you, then you don't have to prove anything to anyone. Just buy the game and have fun.

I know this is not what Final Fantasy is about. This franchise is already dead and has been corrupted since Square merged with Enix.
Their focus has been only on money and money alone. They only call it Final Fantasy because it will help sell more.

It saddens me to see people compare this to the classic games and say they're the same thing, or *gasp* better.
This just gives more fuel to Squeenix to push this type of design, because it sells.

I suppose deep inside I still have hopes that one day some brave young designer at Square-Enix will have the resolve and opportunity to make FF great again.
But this seems impossible. Even if Sakaguchi was still there he would probably be powerless against Squeenix business people.

In all honesty, they should probably ditch the offline games and stick with the MMO only.
It's less shameful that way.

Valonquar

I expect it to very very closely follow FFXIV design philosophy: Make main storyline pretty easy for most gamers, with some way to press an "I WIN" button if you fail too much. After main storyline there will be the newer difficulty which will have more phases to bosses including a few special extra phases not seen in normal mode. One or two ultimate fights comapared to FFXIV's endgame raids could produce some serious amounts of salt online.

Holy fuck, Final Fantasy is looking like this bitch is back, but then I've had that feeling for quite some time that this one was looking really good, but that little bit of gameplay I looked at really surprised me. Hype up. Can't wait to watch more later.

Shubh_C63

I hate Anime cringe but this became a must play for me. Also it is fun doing commentary over cringe dialogues when somebody else is with you on the couch.

I hate the look of the combat so far. There's shit blowing up everywhere but you can see from the UI that people are just spamming the same buttons. Maybe once we get more footage it will look less basic.

It looks chaotic to those who aren't playing it. And those who are playing it can choose to make it look less chaotic at their leisure by not attacking as nearly as much, or being more selective with how you attack. But this is pretty much the new Final Fantasy formula. They finally found how to capture the magic of the ps1 games with pre-rendered backgrounds but with modern tech. This is it.

It has the best elements of Lost Odyssey's presentation turned up many notches. Those amazing transitions like what was seen at the start of Lost Odyssey is taken to the next level here. The way Lost Odyssey used its environment and battling of the elements to help tell its story, this game demonstrated in truly beautiful fashion in the Garuda fight. They found a way to reinvent Final Fantasy for modern times the way Santa Monica Studio did for God of War in 2018.

This is a legit fucking system seller fellas. This game is going to be a fucking monstrous return for the franchise.

Danjin44

No matter what they do some group of people are not going to be happy, even if they do complete turn based combat they still be people who going to whine about it because its turn based.

Its unwindable battle, so instead they will make what they want to make regardless if some people not going t be happy about it.

This was the same with FFVIIR and I for one glad they took the chance.

Last edited:
No matter what they do some group of people are not going to be happy, even if they do complete turn based combat they still be people who going to whine about it because its turn based.

Its unwindable battle, so instead they will make what they want to make regardless if some people not going t be happy about it.

Not only would there be people that complain about the turn based system but even more people would be indifferent about it and not bother with it.

Theres a reason why traditional JRPGs like Persona and DQXI are considered major breakout hits in the west selling 5 million copies.

Last edited:

Madflavor

If you're developing a Final Fantasy game, you pretty much have to have the attitude "This is my vision, fuck anyone who cries about it." There's been so many different types of settings, styles, and battle systems, that it's now impossible to please everyone.

I personally think FF fans who complain about the setting or battle system in each new entry to be unbearable. It's one thing if you're a brand new fan, but it's another if you've had the past 20-30 years to come to terms with this, and you still haven't.

Last edited:

Danjin44

If you're developing a Final Fantasy game, you pretty much have to have the attitude "This is my vision, fuck anyone who cries about it." There's been so many different types of settings, styles, and battle systems, that it's no impossible to please everyone.

I personally think FF fans who complain about the setting or battle system in each no entry to be unbearable. It's one thing if you're a brand new fan, but it's another if you've had the past 20-30 years to come to terms with this, and you still haven't.
Honestly its best way to do it, trying please everyone you end up with even worse product and no one is going to be happy about it.

Blendernaut

Neo Member
The only reason it's named "Final Fantasy 11" is for marketing reasons. I think that's pretty self evident.

Some player skill will always be prevalent regardless of the genre, but in RPGs it's character skill that takes the central stage.
If you can't see the difference between a game like CS:GO that emphasizes player skill and MMORPGs that favor character skill, this just exposes how misguided your statements are.

Still waiting for Pokemon to "evolve" past turn-based in order to become mainstream and sell 20 million copies.
Oh, wait. You're just spouting nonsense again.
Im sorry but for many Final Fantasy is not about the combat system. That's such a simplistic criteria If you ask me.
No. Final fantasy is about its epic story and characters, chocobos, its fantasy world, crystals, magic...
I mean, that, and not the combat system is what makes a Final Fantasy feel like a final fantasy.

Your argument is soooo overused but soooo wrong, that its tiring hearing it once and again.

Im sorry but for many Final Fantasy is not about the combat system. That's such a simplistic criteria If you ask me.
No. Final fantasy is about its epic story and characters, chocobos, its fantasy world, crystals, magic...
I mean, that, and not the combat system is what makes a Final Fantasy feel like a final fantasy.

Your argument is soooo overused but soooo wrong, that its tiring hearing it once and again.

I’ll take it a step further. Final Fantasy succeeded despite its archaic combat systems, because of its characters, stories, and production values.

We’re at a point now where the developers can fully realize the type of combat they’ve always wanted the series to have, big, fast paced, bombastic stuff that matched the cutscenes and multimedia

Its like older gamers that think a lot of the arcade inspired game design was because it was intentional and not because of limitations that just stuck around way longer than it should have

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

If you're developing a Final Fantasy game, you pretty much have to have the attitude "This is my vision, fuck anyone who cries about it." There's been so many different types of settings, styles, and battle systems, that it's now impossible to please everyone.

I personally think FF fans who complain about the setting or battle system in each new entry to be unbearable. It's one thing if you're a brand new fan, but it's another if you've had the past 20-30 years to come to terms with this, and you still haven't.
FF Derangement Syndrome

Last edited:
I'm sorry but so sick of hearing this for turn based combat system, turn based is just another combat system just because you personally dont like it doesn't make it outdated.

I'm excited and I'm more than fine FFXVI having action combat but stop with this BS argument for turn based combat.

I never said i didn’t like turn based, the way final fantasy did turn based for a long time was very basic. Especially when other games like Shadow Hearts, and even back to Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger already started iterating on the mechanics to make them more involved, yet here we are at final fantasy x still just doing atttack, attack, heal.

The best form of turn based combat in FF was in XII and they never tried to build on it. To go back to what XIII was doing was just a disappointment. There’s also stuff like what Larian does which was give you actual strategic options, formations and placements.

Feels like Square Enix haven’t been interested in evolving turn based combat for a while, even in stuff like Dragon Quest XI they’ve done nothing to build upon the formula. They give you free range movement that doesn’t actually add anything to the battles.

I’d rather SE just do something completely new instead of settling for the idea that people want “classic final fantasy combat” with state of the art graphics. No one actually wants that

Last edited:

Madflavor

Turn Based hasn't been in a mainline Final Fantasy since the Bush Administration. At this rate are older fans still going to be wishing for Turn Based while on their death beds, sipping on Jello and having a CNA change your diaper? I don't know what else Square can do or say to clue you in that Turn Based is never coming back.

kiphalfton

I remember when I was excited for FFXV. Since it was the first FF game I played.

That excitement was totally misplaced.

Then I played the first boss battle of FFVII Remake, and then got to the part where you're collecting payments from people.

Again, a let down.

However, I think this is the one.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

I love turn-based jRPG's and I'd love for mainline FF to return to that style, but people are kidding themselves if they think FF hasn't reinvented itself with every entry. It's been doing that since the very first sequel with FFII. ATB in and of itself was weird and new at one time. There were fans who didn't like the move from top-down pixel art to 3D pre-rendered backgrounds with FFVII. People still rag on VIII's esoteric gameplay systems. X was deemed "too linear" and people lamented the lack of a world map. XI was an MMO. XII took heat for being an "offline MMO" and still having no world map. XIII was FF on rails. XV was open-world FF by way of Ubisoft, on top of being blatantly unfinished (and its combat largely eschewed prior FF combat conventions). The only real constant in FF is change (and thematic elements like chocobos, moogles, Cid, etc.)

Danjin44

I don't know what else Square can do or say to clue you in that Turn Based is never coming back.
I'm fine with FF never goes back to turn based as long as we still get games like Octopath and DQ, if SE completely stops making turn based RPG, now I would have issue with it.

I hope we see more throwback-y stuff like this...
nYJjhzJ.png
They doing same Fire Emblem games does in menu and I love it.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Pokemon is not about turn-based. It's about collecting. And collecting is as mainstream as anyone can get - ask gacha games, those earns billions and look leviathan even compared to the likes of Pokemon.
you right. Pokemon Legend Arceus is good example. it is about catching and less about battle. it is also due to the pokemon name. it always gonna sold. it is not due to turn based combat. how much it sold? 14m if i not mistaken

Kumomeme

I wish they had the balls to go full Dragons Dogma with this one if FF is gonna be real time going forward.

They clearly are targeting Skyrim/Witcher 3 audiance/ sales with this one.

Hopefully it's not another half baked combat system that fails to create an identity for itself.
for those not aware, the combat director Ryota Suzuki is former lead gameplay designer for Dragons Dogma.

based on the footage, Clive use fireball magic to light out dark area. hopefully we can has similliar features when exploring big open area at night. this is one of stuff i really like with Dragons Dogma. night is really dark in the game and latern is a very important tools to bring. it also add more immersion during exploring at night or in dark area.

Last edited:
Not with DQ though. They have confirmed that DQ 12 will be action RPG.

They never said it was gonna be an action rpg, they said they will change up the battle system

DQ has had pretty much the same battle system for 30+ years so thats not really saying much

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Naoki Yoshida, Hiroshi Takai and Ryota Suzuki share their inspiration drawn for this game development:

FqgK-5TaQAE_dgZ

Naoki Yoshida :

Jon Snow Winter GIF by Game of Thrones

black and white batman GIF

Hiroshi Takai:

god of war GIF

Ryota Suzuki:

sword blade GIF by BBQ Films

Last edited:

lyan

tri-Ace games all focus on player skills more than character skills and they are as JRPG as you can get for most people.

Orbital2060

I wohldnt mind a new combat system if only it wasnt such a hot mess. The road trip and basic world design in 15 are awesome but the combat is such a mess I had to jig the skill upgrades to play it with one character in combat and ignore the rest because its such a pain to try and make sense of the chaos with all four in action. I just gave them all of the passive upgrades and then once in a while switched for some healing. I avoided combat as much as could for this reason, and just wanted to finish the main story. Which was pretty good. An 8/10 adventure with a 3/10 combat system. Maybe it works in 16. But I wish theyd kept the FF games turn-based, and that FF7 remake for example was more like Octopath. A 24-karat remake of the original with modern QoL updates.

Top Bottom