• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI New Trailer Released | Game is releasing on Summer 2023 to PlayStation 5

Madflavor

It looked quite weird to me.
I'm not really sure how to explain it but it gave me vibes of these old fake gameplay CGI PS3 E3 trailers. By that I don't mean that it looks like these, of course it looks better, but it gives me an impression of fake / pre rendered. Some of the combat scenes in particular didn't really look like actual gameplay footage, even if there was some UI visible, but more like some scripted sequences.

I don't know, strange.

Yoshi-P claims that the game is pretty close to completion, it's just polishing from this point forward. The graphics have also received an upgrade since the reveal trailer, so good chance this is what the game will look like on release.

I will add that Yoshi-P has a history of being very honest and upfront with the fans. If he says the game is close to completion, I believe him.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

hopefully this thing not just there for decoration:

52118583565_5b6976e9967jv2.jpg

from previous trailer:

Final-Fantasy-16-soldiers.jpg

also itseems FFXIV's Limit Break bar in the game
url

Larxia

Yoshi-P claims that the game is pretty close to completion, it's just polishing from this point forward. The graphics have also received an upgrade since the reveal trailer, so good chance this is what the game will look like on release.

I will add that Yoshi-P has a history of being very honest and upfront with the fans. If he says the game is close to completion, I believe him.
I mean, I believe that the graphics are possible, they don't look especially mind blowing compared to stuff we have today, that's not the issue, it's just how it was presented. This for example, it looks like a cutscene with a hud added on top of it, which is strange :

FINAL-FANTASY-XVI-DOMINANCE-5.gif

Life

So it was a trailer about huge lifebars mostly. And pressing the attack button to win. And then constipated summon faces.

YukiOnna

I mean, I believe that the graphics are possible, they don't look especially mind blowing compared to stuff we have today, that's not the issue, it's just how it was presented. This for example, it looks like a cutscene with a hud added on top of it, which is strange :

I wouldn't think too much about it. Looks like they just have dynamic camera angles for the solo story bosses on certain moves or just the intro/phase transitions.

Madflavor

You ever play games where you're fighting an enemy and once you get them to a certain amount of health it triggers short animated sequence before getting back to the gameplay? That is likely what you're looking at.

Here's an example:

At 4:25 Sephiroth's HP is brought to a certain point, triggering an animation sequence in which Aerith is introduced. You can still see the UI when it plays.

Should also add that Yoshi-P has never cared about having the best graphics possible:
228.png

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Could be a extended parry sequence reserved for boss fights and stuff to be more "cinematic," It's not the first game to have canned animations in relation to a parry or special move. This will probably trigger people, but Kingdom Hearts does it a lot.

Rykan

they didnt show enough. im still trying to figure out what kind of game this is.

if thats the battle then alright looks cool, but wheres the rest? exploration, traversal, towns, shops, chests, talking to NPCs, dialogue options, skill trees, magic, armor/weapons, chocobos, do we have a party or not, hell even just see what the menus look like. im really clueless as to what kind if FF this is going to be.

but its summer 2023 so we'll see a lot more in the comings months im sure. i just cant judge much from that trailer other than battle. and if FF16 just a battle sim and straight forward narrative ala FF13 im out, lol no thanks. lets hope not. wish we had more info
What is with this weird obsession that every little detail of a game needs to be revealed before it's released? The trailers shows off its settings, a glimpse of the story and what the gameplay will be like.

akimbo009

Gold Member
What is with this weird obsession that every little detail of a game needs to be revealed before it's released? The trailers shows off its settings, a glimpse of the story and what the gameplay will be like.

Cause final fantasy games play themselves for you - the trailers may as well do that too.

Kev Kev

I want to know what kind of FF they are making. I’m getting some 13 vibes from this with them only showing combat and cut scenes and I’m not interested in an FF like that.

So like I said we’ll have to wait and see

Myths

Honestly, if party members gets into the way the director invisioned combat, I rather they just scratch it entirely so as to avoid a XV scenario.

But honestly, if they want to implement them, just adapt FF 7 Remake system into it, namely almost freezing time to issue commands.
I’m definitely with the director scratching it if for story reasons and practical reasons it wouldn’t work. I find myself wondering the same as I’m drafting whether or not to include party members. Sometimes that main character has so much weight in both story and gameplay that splitting it between other characters can become overwhelming for the player. There are of course creative means of tackling the issue, but I wouldn’t stress it if not necessary.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Yep, Yoshi-P has earned a certain level of trust due to transparency and actual results over the course of nearly a decade. There’s a reason he’s moved up the hierarchy in Square Enix so quickly and got to take the reigns for the next big Final Fantasy. The fact that he recruited the combat designer for Dragon’s Dogma says everything about where the priorities are for this game.

The trailer gave us a glimpse of the gameplay. In engine. No smoke and mirrors. I am super excited.

I will say though, if the option is there to turn off the damage numbers, I will likely turn that stuff off. It likely will be an option, given that you can tell this game is running off of some upgraded version of the engine that powers FFXIV. In fact, I suspect the graphics upgrade planned for FFXIV 7.0 is tied to FFXVI’s completion and the shifting of CBU3’s manpower.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Don't worry you're not on ResetEra. The worst is I could do is tell you where you can go stick your avatar.

But if you don't wanna say it, all good.
😔 sorry....after so many years of Final Fantasy disappointment...I see this trailer...and something comes to mind:

Only easily impressionable weebs with bad taste in storytelling that think a style over substance gameplay is good gameplay will find this thing 'nice'.

9NGFy7W.gif

Madflavor

😔 sorry....after so many years of Final Fantasy disappointment...I see this trailer...and something comes to mind:

Only easily impressionable weebs with bad taste in storytelling that think a style over substance gameplay is good gameplay will find this thing 'nice'.

9NGFy7W.gif

Only got one question. Have you played FFXIV?

Swift_Star

Banned
a new new FF? and it seems weird when people complain about too many Uncharted god of war halo Forza or Gear ......... damn ff 16 ....... 16
Final Fantasy games are no iterative sequels, though, they only have some references and nods to each other but each game is its own game with its own battle system and story.
They just name final fantasy because it’s a strong name but it could be named something else.

Brigandier

That's your take from this trailer that it only appeals to weebs who like bad stories and is all style over substance....

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

Top Bottom