• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Gameplay Demo + Presentation Discussion

FF meets DMC.
So far, so good. I can see myself really...really sinking a lot of time into this.

I don`t get why some people are trying to hype up the graphics, though. Tech-wise the game is ..unimpressive to put it nicely. Something like HFW runs circles around it visually.

Pretty sure they said it was running in performance mode so I expect fidelity mode to look better (albeit at 30 fps) but otherwise I totally agree. Doesn't look much better than Forsaken. I'm hoping for a fidelity mode at 40 fps option

Every time they show more of the game play, the influence of the DMC combat director becomes more and more obvious, and I think that's a positive for me.

I'm a lot more partial to ARPG's than turn based RPG's at this time in my gaming life.

Yup the characters running animation is literally Nero's from dmc v to the point where it looks identical

Yeah, really bizarre they didn't release any of this material in 4k and Direct Feed on their channels.

1080p with Twitter/YouTube compression on top to make it even more blurry is the absolute filth.

All I can think is if they'll have a dedicated State of Play for it by the end of April, given the PS Showcase is supposed to be at the end of May.

Why the fuck does almost every game company release low res, low bit rate footage of all their latest high fidelity 4k games??

It's mind boggling

Didn't see anyone mention that the devs said this was being played in Performance Mode....

Can someone who paid close attention confirm or deny this?

Because that would explain a lot about the visuals

Teslerum

Didn't see anyone mention that the devs said this was being played in Performance Mode....

IIRC, yeah they mentioned it. 1440p performance mode.

Edit: Around 34:40 they show it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

CP4zhcC.png

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I didn't like the whole accessory thing. When I hear evasion can be automated or you can do a combo with one button, I was instantly turned off. Playing with one hand? Nah son.

Thankfully, they put it out there that it would be apparent if you use this crap. I guess giving it accessibility for those who need it is okay, but there's no shot I use any of that crap. Don't care if I die 50 times to one boss.

I just hope the characters are memorable. I feel like FFXV had a largely forgettable cast and story.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
IIRC, yeah they mentioned it. 1440p performance mode.

Edit: Around 34:40 they show it.

They said "since we're on a 2K screen" or something like that.

They didn't specify one way or the other what the resolutions in either mode will be.

Danjin44

I didn't like the whole accessory thing. When I hear evasion can be automated or you can do a combo with one button, I was instantly turned off. Playing with one hand? Nah son.

Thankfully, they put it out there that it would be apparent if you use this crap. I guess giving it accessibility for those who need it is okay, but there's no shot I use any of that crap. Don't care if I die 50 times to one boss.

I just hope the characters are memorable. I feel like FFXV had a largely forgettable cast and story.
you also can’t get good ranks if you use those accessories.

Teslerum

They're literary just used to lower the skill entry. I think it's fine, not going to affect gameplay any further and it's actually a fine replacement for an easy mode.
you also can’t get good ranks if you use those accessories.
And logically they're detrimental as they take up gear slots. We already know that there are accessories aside from these rings, so using them actually gimps you.

cripterion

Yes you are, because thats what that entire part and footage was about. Showcasing that accessibility option. I can do the same in Tales of games by changing a few settings and recreate that moment. Is Tales XV too then?

Secondly, no it can‘t. What‘s shown in that combo is already more varied than anything you can pull off in XV.

C'mon man, once again it's not about the 2 button combo thing. I'm saying that section right then and there, with just reminds me of this :

final_fantasy_15_combat.jpg

As in same type of combat, same environments.
Why are some of you gotta be so defensive of one game?

C'mon man, once again it's not about the 2 button combo thing. I'm saying that section right then and there, with just reminds me of this :

final_fantasy_15_combat.jpg

As in same type of combat, same environments.
Why are some of you gotta be so defensive of one game?
You mean the color grading, which is something I agree on. The color grading for the desert area in 16 could have been done a bit better, because other areas' color grading looks alright.

cripterion

You mean the color grading, which is something I agree on. The color grading for the desert area in 16 could have been done a bit better, because other areas' color grading looks alright.
This is a pretty bad pic I got but yeah the segment where he is dodging hits and showing gameplay using one hand (which again It's not about the accessability feature) looks like early sections of FFXV to me, gameplay included.

I find the characters quite static and yeah the combat is flashy but animations are quite stiff.
I guess I just expected more after all those years and a new gen.

This is a pretty bad pic I got but yeah the segment where he is dodging hits and showing gameplay using one hand (which again It's not about the accessibility feature) looks like early sections of FFXV to me, gameplay included.
I get it. I think a slight change in color grading does wonders to how a game can look and also help it set a better mood. Like this screenshot:

jp0j46hjqa391.jpg

Otherwise when all you see is just sand and a regular blue sky but there's nothing else to paint the mood, it just feels a bit hollow.

Also I'm trying as hard as I can not to compare it to other 3D FFs because I've been told it's unfair to this team. So I'm using their own work as an example.

cripterion

I get it. I think a slight change in color grading does wonders to how a game can look and also help it set a better mood. Like this screenshot:

jp0j46hjqa391.jpg

Otherwise when all you see is just sand and a regular blue sky but there's nothing else to paint the mood, it just feels a bit hollow.

Also I'm trying as hard as I can not to compare it to other 3D FFs because I've been told it's unfair to this team. So I'm using their own work as an example.
I'm sure some areas will look a lot better than others, and yeah the earlier footage shown of the game was much more appealing to me.

As for character designs it's not I don't like them it's that I don't find the in game character models appealing.

The actual designs are fine :

FkR-drgX0AAvUIh

Sleepwalker

There is nothing dreadful about design, you guys just too used to Nomura design in your Final Fantasy.

Every time new JRPG gets announced most of you guys complain about “why we have to play as teenagers“ now we do get adult characters you guys still complain.
Game looks pretty good graphically to me as well.

Danjin44

I would say the team did pretty good job translating 2D art to 3D especially for this type of artstyle
hNxoTO8.png
Fjgm0oQXwAAZhZG.jpg

If you expecting to be EXACTLY as 2D art, that not gonna happen unless you go very anime artstyle like Xenoblade did.
mio-xenoblade-chronicles-3.large.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Hestar69

everything looks great.......................cept the combat...Really wish they would keep it old school but it wouldnt' sell well if they did I get it...I just hope its better than 15's combat

Danjin44

everything looks great.......................cept the combat...Really wish they would keep it old school but it wouldnt' sell well if they did I get it...I just hope its better than 15's combat
They brought combat designers of DMC and Dragon Dogma for FF16, while FF15 was done by Tabata who made Crisis Core and FF Type - 0, which all had weird action combat.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wish this was a spinoff instead of a mainline game. I like DMC, and FF used to be my favorite franchise of all time, but this is the least hyped I've been about a FF game. I'm sure it'll be better than the XIII trilogy but man...
I’m excited for it being more of an action game than an RPG. I really enjoyed DMC5:SE.

It looks good, but my jaw isn’t on the floor. It’s not Ivalice type hype. This is more like a kick ass action game because I like FF’s world with DMC style combat. I’ve pre-paid for it, but it feels more like a high quality spin-off. This is something I thought Team Ninja would make, but they don’t polish all the details/textures.

That waterfall area reminds me of Fishermans Horizon from VIII.

Last edited:

Danjin44

If by "weird" you mean brainless, then yeah.
Crisis Core on PSP was "technically" real time combat but at the same time the movement was rigid and not at all smooth and this how I felt about FFXV combat as well.

Last edited:

Hestar69

They brought combat designers of DMC and Dragon Dogma for FF16, while FF15 was done by Tabata who made Crisis Core and FF Type - 0, which all had weird action combat.
I knew they had some DMC ppl didn't know they gotsome dragons dogma ppl on it tho..I'm sure it'll be good,just hope it's better than 15 (which I enjoyed minus the combat)

Danjin44

I knew they had some DMC ppl didn't know they gotsome dragons dogma ppl on it tho..I'm sure it'll be good,just hope it's better than 15 (which I enjoyed minus the combat)
What they shown so far I'm pretty confident its gonna be better than FFXV's combat which I myself was not fan of.

Kumomeme

TBH based on the combat director track record, he is more of Dragons Dogma guy than DMC.

DelireMan7

Then don't use it.

I don't see what it changes that's it apparent on screen or not. Scare that someone show good combos while using it ? Pretending to have more skill than you ?

I don't get accessibility options hate on single player games.
It's something I will not use but don't mind if others do so. Everyone enjoy different thing. I am currently playing Last of Us II and started in Survivor but switch back to hard (and considering lowering it again) because it was frustrating and I just want to move quickly into the story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom