• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI development in “the final stretch”

Interesting. Maybe that theme is tied into the fact that there is a time skip. The trailer shows as much. The main character grows up from a teenager to an adult. Facing the world as a teen and then as an adult are two very different things. I hope the main character has development in this respect. Very few stories in manga, anime, and JRPGs have the protagonist grow up and tackle world-saving problems along side good character development and actual in-game maturity and aging. Let's see if YoshiP and the team can nail it.
I think it's the Game of Thrones effect. Same thing happened with Triangle Strategy. It was as hugely influential as Lord of the Rings, and we're just now seeing some of these giant games finish years later after being influenced. All I take from that comment of his is that it'll be a more mature story.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hmm, that explains a lot! I really didn't know. The combat gameplay seems good, but I hope they develop a big world interesting to explore, and hopefully that there's a party to command in battle.
DMC is obviously one of the best action series ever made, but I'm getting a little tired of it personally.

The way I look at it, for an RPG, it'll be very good combat from the looks of it. I'm not expecting a party at all, but you never know. And considering the character models literally look like FFXIV, I'm kind of expecting open areas on par with XIV, but more polished. We'll see. So much is still unknown.
Ryota Suzuki also worked as combat designer for Dragon's Dogma, a JRPG with a party and an action combat system (one of the best in the ARPG genre, imo).

I wouldn't be worried. In fact, for me, it's the main selling point of the game.

Ryota Suzuki also worked as combat designer for Dragon's Dogma, a JRPG with a party and an action combat system (one of the best in the ARPG genre, imo).

I wouldn't be worried. In fact, for me, it's the main selling point of the game.
Yeah, I'm not worried. They've been trying to figure out action RPGs for a decade now. It's good news that they've finally gotten around to working with staff from DMC and Team Ninja. Pretty much the best case scenario.

In the future, I do want to see action games move away from the DMC clone template though, considering we're also getting Bayonetta as well. Trailers for Babylon's Fall and FFXVI combat shouldn't look so similar. It's been done before too many times now.

Dragon's Dogma is one of the GOATs though, and I can't imagine what they have in store for part 2.

Arthimura

Nice. The general vibe from the reveal trailer got my interest, and I'm enjoying the more action-focused combat systems from the last entries (FFVII Remake, Stranger of Paradise).

I hope the game gets released in Q1 2023. I don't believe in a 2022 release date.

Final fantasy has been moving into all out action territory for a while.

No way the series was gonna survive aaa a turn based game. Especially now with elden ring out.

Kssio_Aug

No way the series was gonna survive aaa a turn based game. Especially now with elden ring out.
But did a From Software game ever really did pose any threat to the Final Fantasy franchise?

I could be wrong, because I do not really follow NPD threads, but I guess that Final Fantasy still sells way more than any From game, including Elden Ring; or not? And is worth considering that since Final Fantasy XIII they dropped the ball hard with their main FF single player games, and not because of the combat system.

I'm not against them going to the action RPG direction though. I think it can be interesting, if done right. The fact that the combat designer was the one of DMC and Dragons Dogma makes me very optimistic in that regard.

But did a From Software game ever really did pose any threat to the Final Fantasy franchise?

I could be wrong, because I do not really follow NPD threads, but I guess that Final Fantasy still sells way more than any From game, including Elden Ring; or not? And is worth considering that since Final Fantasy XIII they dropped the ball hard with their main FF single player games, and not because of the combat system.

I'm not against them going to the action RPG direction though. I think it can be interesting, if done right. The fact that the combat designer was the one of DMC and Dragons Dogma makes me very optimistic in that regard.

I dont think final fantasy games do big numbers like that anymore, def not 12 million in a month type numbers. FF16 is gonna face an uphill battle with ps5 stock also.

But my main point is that the comparisons are gonna be drawn, big open world rpgs, especially with knights and magic are gonna be compared to elden ring now, even the ones that dont have those common themes. The world has changed

Fbh

Nice.
I still don't think it will launch this year but we should definitely get an update with a more in depth look at the world and gameplay.

I believe in Yosh-P. NGL, this quote gives me chills:

If they deliver on that intention, dis gun be gud.

That quote definitely gives me hope.
If they can dial back the anime bullshit and deliver a slightly more grounded/mature story like Trianlge Strategy it would be amazing. Also Nomura not being involved already exponentially raises the chances of the story being enjoyable.

GymWolf

The best you can hope for is that this somehow connects to 12, 14, or Tactics, due to who's making it.
I was talking about lore\world.

When i watched the trailer for the first time the protagonist kinda looked like noctis with a beard...

I take your word for good since i really don't care about ff12 and especially 14. (Tactics was nice but i don't really like that type of combat tbh)

Last edited:
Does PlayStation have anything else coming this year? Confirmed? I’m struggling to think.
Announced so far you have God of War from their own studios. You have Forspoken from 3rd party exclusives. Stray is also releasing in the summer. If you think about everything else already released it is a kick ass year. The only one i can think of that's similar is 2020 tbh. Imagine if FFXVI also happens to release this year.

Not complaining though.

Hopefully, SE learned their lesson from FFXV and will spend more time making the actual game great with a comprehensible story, and less time fucking around making CGI movies and merchandising shit before they've even tested whether the game story and characters even resonate with audiences.

I was talking about lore\world.
I was talking about this too. A guy having a similar hair color and beard to another guy isn't related to lore, at least from my perspective. To me that's just Final Fantasy's version of the bald protagonist meme from the 360 era.

Announced so far you have God of War from their own studios. You have Forspoken from 3rd party exclusives. Stray is also releasing in the summer. If you think about everything else already released it is a kick ass year. The only one i can think of that's similar is 2020 tbh. Imagine if FFXVI also happens to release this year.

Not complaining though.

I do wonder last year sony announced Ghost of Tsushima directors cut (iki island expansion) and Death Stranding directors cut in June and July, even though the latter leaked earlier.

I wonder if they have anything like that dropping this year? They did surprise drop a Returnal DLC, maybe we get a Rift Apart DLC? Still hoping for Factions 2

GymWolf

I was talking about this too. A guy having a similar hair color and beard to another guy isn't related to lore, at least from my perspective. To me that's just Final Fantasy's version of the bald protagonist meme from the 360 era.
You have to understand that after the combo of ff15 and 7remake my interest for the ff brand was lower than ever so i watched the trailer of ff16 while doing something else without paying much attention, i literally only remember older noctis with a beard and the unimpressive graphic from that trailer.

And knowing how bad modern square is (at least for me that i don't care about ff14), using noctis again was not off the table in my mind, just another bad idea in a sea of bad ideas from them.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Yoshidaaaa where’s my spring update!? Two more months left so I’ll let it slide for now.

Definitely releasing this fiscal year. With Forspoken out in the Fall it’s probably their holiday or January title.

yazenov

Futurama Reaction GIF

You have to understand that after the combo of ff15 and 7remake my interest for the ff brand was lower than ever so i watched the trailer of ff16 while doing something else without paying much attention, i literally only remember older noctis with a beard and the unimpressive graphic from that trailer.
That's understandable. For me, 15 ruined how I felt about Tabata's team, at least when it comes to story writing. The plot felt like someone just glued together cutscenes from a half done script, and called it a day. My main suggestion is to only follow the development teams instead of the franchise itself, because like CoD they give every project to a different one. This team has been on a good run lately and the game's combat looks like something mixed with Devil May Cry, so it has me intrigued.

jaysius

Banned

FF 7 remake was OKISH with it's combat, but the combat still needs work even after I guess this is the 4th or 5th attempt at trying to make a good combat system. Jesus they need to get it right.

The stories of the FF games are pretty good, but the entire combat portion suffers from this "we still don't have a fucking clue how to shoe horn turn based combat into real time". It's time for them to either make it 100% action or figure this shit out.

FF 7 remake was OKISH with it's combat, but the combat still needs work even after I guess this is the 4th or 5th attempt at trying to make a good combat system. Jesus they need to get it right.

The stories of the FF games are pretty good, but the entire combat portion suffers from this "we still don't have a fucking clue how to shoe horn turn based combat into real time". It's time for them to either make it 100% action or figure this shit out.
What are your thoughts on Mass Effect 1's combat style or Fallout's V.A.T.S.? I feel like that's what 7Remake was trying to attempt.

Last edited:

Arachnid

"at some point ended up separating from Final Fantasy, we want to want them to remember their passion from back then. We're making the game with that intention."

Without turn based strategic combat? I'm good.

Yeah i hated the way the companions would just stand around and they wouldn’t build up their limit meter unless you controlled them. The switching character thing to fight doesn’t really work with action-based games. They need to be able to be commanded either from one person or have a set of AI Abilities.

They need to just drop the efforts to keep it turn based and just make it straight up action with some pause menu’s and a targeting/special skill system like V.A.T.S, its the only compromise.

Also I think this game does ahve companions they are in briefly shown in the trailer.

Oooo that parry system looks nice

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
What are your thoughts on Mass Effect 1's combat style or Fallout's V.A.T.S.? I feel like that's what 7Remake was trying to attempt.
I'm biased, I fucking loved the old KOTOR and how it's combat worked so Mass Effect 1(the ORIGINAL, not the bastardized trilogy shit) was awesome.

The closets thing to how it all should work is Guardians of the Galaxy.

V.A.T.S is also awesome.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The Dragon Quest mainline entry devs have been extremely stubborn so far. I think they will die on that turn based hill. And I'm sure the DQ Builders, DQ Heroes, DQ Swords, etc devs are happy with that.
I read DQ Builders I picture some idiot trying to build shit with Dairy Queen's NOT ICE CREAM* mix and it just perpetually melting.
ice cream summer GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

I was all in on wanting to love the newest Dragon Quest, it wasn't the combat system itself that sucked it was how they underpowered the character, also the bland as fuck open world with the MMO style resource collecting. Some of the character we're awesome. The writing was pretty bad for most of the characters also.

DQ Builders 2 I really enjoyed on GamePass, but the grind was a little much mid game.

*To earn an "ice cream" categorization, a product must have a minimum milkfat (or butterfat, as DQ calls it) content of 10%. DQ's soft-serve, meanwhile, has just five percent milkfat.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I thought XII and XIII did a good job of it. I loved their battle systems. XII was basically ATB under the hood, except you could program your party to your exact specifications instead of manually entering every command from a menu. XIII was legit challenging, exciting, and rewarded you for playing well.

XV did suck. VII-R was fun except I hated how they made your party members so useless when controlled by the AI just so you’d have a reason to constantly swap.

BTW Stranger of Paradise has some kickass combat. Wouldn’t mind that style of combat in a full mainline FF game

yenside578

Neo Member
My thought is that they should postpones forespoken to next year to have the game more flushed out, have more marketing around the game, since people seems not to be interested in the game. And have Final Fantasy 16 release between Q4.

Calverz

Not complaining though.
Ah I forgot stray and god of war lol

Top Bottom