• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI basic development and scenario production already complete

Mista

Banned
FF16-Job-Site_10-08-20.jpg

Basic development and scenario production for Final Fantasy XVI are already compete, according to a new recruitment page for the title on Square Enix’s careers website.
“We have already completed basic development and scenario production, and are continuing to create large-scale resources and build boss battles while expanding our various development tools. Also, most of our staff are carrying out their work remotely.
Square Enix is currently seeking final staff to help complete the world of Final Fantasy XVI with various stages and fields, large-scale cutscenes, character actions, and so on.
Gematsu

RoboFu

One of the green rats
so we get maybe 3 years form now instead of two? They do this every playstatiion launch. they show something and then YEARS... later we get something. I hate it. lol just wait till you are launmching that year. IDC how much sony pays you.

sublimit

Banned
"Basic development" sounds a bit ambiguous.It could mean that the game still has from one year up to 2 years more of development.

Still a huge improvement though.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Nooo.

Still crystal saga. Character design like FFXIV.

We need changes. Maybe some medieval-like ff like ffix?

Kumomeme

sign of smooth development. things would be even better if there no pandemic.

in Yoshi-P we trust. imagine those excel spreadsheet lol.

also based on this information, we can expect final product would looks different that the initial trailer. they still has lot of things to do.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Nomura did not offer to direct 7R, he was chosen. Having CC2 work on the game was most likely a decision out of his hands as well.

Nomura is, literally, the most productive person at that company, followed by YoshiP.
well considering how many project he helmed at same times. this is probably right. also aside from versus 13, this guy actually deliver his games.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I have owned every numbered Final Fantasy game (other than Final Fantasy XI and, if this counts, Final Fantasy VII: Remake), as well as Final Fantasy Tactics. I am very disappointed by the trailer for Final Fantasy XVI.

I thought Final Fantasy XV was hot garbage (and even Square Enix admitted they dropped the ball on that one), but this looks far too similar to Final Fantasy XV. The character models look very similar, the summons appear to be handled the same way, and the battle system looks almost identical (including the blue warp glow that is now orange - because that makes it different?).

Unless they show off something amazing I will be passing on Final Fantasy XVI. That's depressing to say as the older Final Fantasy games (Final Fantasy I-X - and Final Fantasy Tactics, of course!) are my favorite games of all time.

Kumomeme

I have owned every numbered Final Fantasy game (other than Final Fantasy XI and, if this counts, Final Fantasy VII: Remake), as well as Final Fantasy Tactics. I am very disappointed by the trailer for Final Fantasy XVI.

I thought Final Fantasy XV was hot garbage (and even Square Enix admitted they dropped the ball on that one), but this looks far too similar to Final Fantasy XV. The character models look very similar, the summons appear to be handled the same way, and the battle system looks almost identical (including the blue warp glow that is now orange - because that makes it different?).

Unless they show off something amazing I will be passing on Final Fantasy XVI. That's depressing to say as the older Final Fantasy games (Final Fantasy I-X - and Final Fantasy Tactics, of course!) are my favorite games of all time.
did you play XIV? because from what i see the game look closer to XIV for those who played it. only 'similliar' to XV is the action combat direction. but the rest, the combat more dmcv feels and the area and folks shown in the trailer has heavy heavensward vibe. from what i see the character model doesnt looks like xv design or if you can provide comparison for clear looks?

we dont know how summon it will be yet. just a cutscene of shiva and titans fighting. titan obviously has xv influence but shiva at same time could have xv or even xiv influence in there. concept of human as summons host also already present in xiv.

Last edited:
Good news. Please stay excited.

I didn't like the trailer or the VA. But I'm glad they are trying another direction. I heard it's supposed to release next year. I hope it's good.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
did you play XIV? because from what i see the game look closer to XIV for those who played it. only 'similliar' to XV is the action combat direction. but the rest, the combat more dmcv feels and the area and folks shown in the trailer has heavy heavensward vibe. from what i see the character model doesnt looks like xv design or if you can provide comparison for clear looks?

we dont know how summon it will be yet. just a cutscene of shiva and titans fighting. titan obviously has xv influence but shiva at same time could have xv or even xiv influence in there. concept of human as summons host also already present in xiv.

I did play Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I have not played any of the expansions after that though.

Here's one image I just put together to show how the character design is extremely similar to Final Fantasy XV:

Xa5aDoB.png

That is kid Noctis compared to whomever that character with the Chocobo is. There are also similarities when looking at other characters, but I don't want to spend hours comparing images. Look at the dogs and you'll notice they look virtually identical between the two games as well. I'm not sure how you feel the combat isn't virtually identical, but I guess we all have our opinions.

k83mGX.gif

nx3pLl.gif

The only difference I am seeing here (besides solo versus party combat) is that there is an orange glow with Final Fantasy XVI instead of a blue glow with Final Fantasy XV.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Final Fantasy XVI is going to be an underwhelming mess. I just feel like, with the single trailer we have been provided, it looks too similar to (what I consider to be) the worst numbered Final Fantasy game to date - and that includes the awful Final Fantasy XIII. I am not impressed with what they showed me. Maybe that will change closer to release date, but based on this trailer it is a hard pass for me.

Moochi

This is a good direction for SQE. They released a beefy in-engine gameplay trailer as our first look. Old SQE would rather dripfeed flashy, ambiguous cut scenes for 6-11 years. People are still mad that most of the glimpses of story we saw in the Versus trailers didn't make it into XV. I bet XVI is December 2021 or sometime in 2022, and the next thing we see from them is the flashy stuff.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Really looking forward to this game. It is going to release a lot sooner than people expect. A far cry from previous games' announce to release cycle.

I hope you're not using just 1 char the entire game. Hopefully you will be able to form a party with different characters like before FFXV.

GymWolf

Well at least nomura is not involved because he is still raping the corpse of ff7, maybe we are gonna have a decent FF game after more than 10 years (not counting the mmorpg one)

Last edited:

Ixion

I'm glad Nomura isn't involved either, but not because I don't like his work (for the most part I do). I'm just happy that Final Fantasy has two different overall teams/lineages to give us two very different feels and perspectives on the series.

Last edited:

Aggelos

How could Nomura have been involved in FF16, when he was caring for KH3 and FF7Remake?

i get the feeling this will release before FF7R2

Ha you can say that again. It's highly likely.
Even if they plan to do a trilogy of episodes, the 1st episode (of Midgar) was quite huge when compared to the original.
If their vision is to develop an Episode 2 with a proportionate scope (of Episode 1) that will live up to expectations, then the world that our heroes must explore (once they're outside of Midgar) should be remarkably big (it should size up to the one of the entire FF15, I so would reckon). Therefore, everything must be expanded and sized proportionately to meet today's gaming standards.

I mean ya, how many years of development could they have possibly thrown into Episode 2? One year? Hardly a year and a half perhaps?
Thusly, FF7R Episode 2 isn't coming out until the cows come home.

Last edited:

Myths

Should’ve been done long ago if it’s been in development for at least 2+ years in ANY capacity. Otherwise, they haven’t told us anything we’d care much about on our end. 🥱

KingDankKush

Neo Member
Glad to hear that the game is still on schedule for coming out in the next year or so. Final Fantasy XV has such a long development cycle, originally starting out as a PS3 title called FF Versus XIII.

imbrock

Banned
Me: God who plays Final Fantasy anymore.

Also Me: Oh look Final Fantasy 9, 10, 12, 13, and 15 are on a steam sale. Purchases them all drunk on nostalgia, and proceeds to start playing 9.

Lol Nomura delivers KH3 in 6 years with an engine change half way through development cause the engine he was given wasn't even done. Delivers FF7R in 5 years which people say looks better than the next mainline entry.

Retards: Hur DER NoMurA wOulDnT be DoNe pre-DevopMent in 5 YeaRs.

Top Bottom