• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI and Next-Gen Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoByte

I'm excited for FF16, but I've been asking myself why I'm not ecstatic for it.The main thing that I could identify was that the gameplay is not blowing me away. Let me explain why, because there's a larger conversation to be had from this.

FF16's combat looks good in the basic sense: Clive's attacks and defensive/evasive maneuvers look appealing, varied, and visceral. The pace of combat is fast and engaging, but not stupidly incomprehensible.

But combat is more than just that. I will say that enemy design is not something easy to showcase in a game like this, so I'll give some grace there. But in that, level design, environmental interactivity, traversal, and the interaction of all of these in encounters, FF16 looks rather simple to me.

The combat designer here comes from DMC - and I'll use DMC as an example of what I'm talking about.

Bosses aside, enemies are not all to capable to actually respond to what the player is doing, certainly by the time they get into their Ultra Instinct combos. Enemy behavior is also extremely static.
The layout of the levels, unvaried as they are, don't matter to any given encounter. Verticality is null since the topography of the most combat arenas is effectively flat, and the openness or tightness of a given environment doesn't change the options awarded to the player, due to the lack of contextual actions and animations in place.

Traversal or lack thereof plays a role here. When your movement tops out at running and double jumping, you can only have environments so large and varied before it becomes tedious and redundant respectively.

Spacing is a rudimentary concern since the supermajority of attacks are close-mid range - which has to be given some grace considering the games are entirely focused around melee combat. That does not, however, excuse the lack of positioning: The player characters ground on the field relative to enemy placement is mostly irrelevant. Unfortunately, this is where DMC's player character combat options kind of fail. Attacks are rarely segmented between single target and AOE in any meaningful way. V in DMC5, anyone? Not just that, but surfaces like walls and ledges offer zero combat utility or threat to the player.

The way these types of games are designed does not lend itself to variety or dynamic encounters. FF16 doesn't look exactly like a DMC, but you can see traces of it, and while it does still look like a fun enough game, it doesn't entice me the way others do. Watching Clive engage in the same flashy animation can only be interesting so many times when it looks the same brings the exact same external results every time.

There's a lot if discussion about next gen graphics, but most people can't or don't define next gen gameplay. Those things that I mentioned are what I'm looking for in games going forward. There's been enough technological and design advancement to facilitate it. Frankly, there have been a lot of games that have done it to varying degrees already.

I will continue to bring up the gameplay genius of The Last of Us Part II. I think that's the closest to "next gen gameplay" we've gotten. Each encounter plays, looks and sounds, so engaging, to the poin that each one feels like a setpiece.

Stealth, CQC, and firefighting flows together effortlessly. Enemies are smart and capable enough and fights take place in large enough areas that being on the move in any of these states is a viable and even necessary avenue for the player to engage in. While the game is not destruction heavy, just the inclusion of windows panes adds so much. I still remember the scene where Abby goes against the Wolves with Lev on the island, and you literally swim as shallow as it can get to avoid enemy sight lines and pop out to rush them.

TLOU2 has the advantage of including stealth and ranged combat at all, but I'll refer to FF15 pre Tabata as a more direct comparison.

Inb4 "scripted, fake". Yes, I get it. But this was Nomura's target, and you can't say it doesn't look enticing. Noctis' Warp ability and general locomotion allows for massive battlefields that don't feel tedious to get around. On top of that, there's environmental destruction that is the result of player or enemy choices. The scripted set piece has Noctis fighting in different spaces and warping between moving airships as Altissia crumbles in a tidal wave. I've seen nothing of FF16 that looks anywhere close to this scale.

No, not even the Kaiju stuff. Part of this is the setting. Massive encounters just look more impressive in modern environments than what XVI is going for. That, and the Kaiju battles seem pretty gimmicky. Give me a next gen Transformers game set on earth, and then we can talk.

To be clear, I do believe that Final Fantasy XVI will be a damn good game. Probably the fastest selling yet, cleanest success FF game in 20 years. I even think the understated hype is healthy. But I do think this is why the hype is understated.

We can talk about more of this through the thread. It is worth mentioning that I haven't ingested all of the footage. I have looked for interviews for enemy design stuff, but I've not seen anything about the function of enemies so much as the visual design.

Last edited:

Larxia

FF XV E3 2013 trailer is just the best video game trailer ever in my opinion. I still want this game, I'll never be able to let it go.

Also Noctis' warp strike is such a fantastic and satisfying mechanic, I want it in other games.
Between the warp, the ghost / royal weapons, the modern setting etc, I think it will be hard to have something as stylish as XV (visually) again. It was just perfect, too bad it didn't end up being what it could have been, but the potential was there for something glorious.

Last edited:

Valonquar

At least 16 is looking like it it might actually have a cohesive narrative. 15 base game + 4 DLCs over 2+ years and it was still a still incoherent mess. The battle system was fun initially but far too simple and easy, and the car was beyond frustrating and the flying mode was just a punch in the dick. The open world felt vastly empty. 15 will share the same fate as 13 and it's sequels as the only FFs I never ever need to replay ever again.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I will continue to bring up the gameplay genius of The Last of Us Part II. I think that's the closest to "next gen gameplay" we've gotten.
No…..Just no. If that’s your idea “next gen” gameplay, I don’t want it.

I don’t know what next gen supposed to be but my number one concern when to melee based action combat in any game is if it feels good to control and how responsive it is.

Usually most people’s take on “next gen” combat is for gameplay to “grounded” and realistic and for me that’s last thing I want especially in JRPG.

I also hear how people hate how over the top the combat is and I personally LOVE it.

I want this!

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
First because it doesn't play like a Final Fantasy (i.e. not ATB or turn-based combat, no controllable party members)

Also because it feels too streamlined and rigid, like every other AAA game out there that bombards the player with cutscenes and interruptions.
They're putting too much emphasis on the flashy stuff, which gives the impression it was intentionally exaggerated to mask the blandness of it all.

There's no reason developers can't do something as crazy as Dragon's Dogma, 10 years after its release.

Also how are you going to try and use TLOU2 as an example of gameplay FF16 should strive for... TLOU2 of all games? This is meant to be like DMC, fast paced action with juggle combos not move control stick forward to slowly sneak up on an enemy and smash them with a beer bottle or whatever. I would hate if they made an FF game like that.

It isn't "next gen gameplay" either since it came out on PS4.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

No…..Just no. If that’s your idea “next gen” gameplay, I don’t want it.

I don’t know what next gen supposed to be but my number one concern when to melee based action combat in any game is if it feels good to control and how responsive it is.

Usually most people’s take on “next gen” combat is for gameplay to “grounded” and realistic and for me that’s last thing I want especially in JRPG.

Also how are you going to try and use TLOU2 as an example of gameplay FF16 should strive for... TLOU2 of all games? This is meant to be like DMC, fast paced action with juggle combos not move control stick forward to slowly sneak up on an enemy and smash them with a beer bottle or whatever. I would hate if they made an FF game like that.

It isn't "next gen gameplay" either since it came out on PS4.
Some of you guys really have to work on your reading comprehension.
I am not saying "FF16 should have guns and stealth mechanics and crafting". I am saying that what defines "next gen gameplay" to me is the fleshing out and intersection of player character combat capabilities, enemy combat capabilities, level design, environmental interactivity and traversal. This is a mostly genre agnostic design philosophy.

I said that I find DMC's juggle combat design to be lacking. I think the appeal is also generally limited. I think FF16 looks different enough from DMC to the point that it won't be a problem for the game, but the interest here is relatively understated, and I think that whatever resemblance it does bear to DmC it part of the reason for it.

You will notice that the only audio-visuals I provided for the OP are the 2013 videos for Final Fantasy XV.

I'll take this opportunity to also mention the upcoming Kingdom Hearts IV. There's is not much, but what we have seen is a good sign to me. Sora is faced with an enemy much larger than him in a large and vertically scaled environment. In order to attack it, he has to scale his surroundings, and seems to be able to go very high. On top of that, he is forced to respond to the enemy's use of the environment. In previous KH games, this would all boil down to jumping 10 feet in the air and performing an aerial combo.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'll take this opportunity to also mention the upcoming Kingdom Hearts IV. There's is not much, but what we have seen is a good sign to me. Sora is faced with an enemy much larger than him in a large and vertically scaled environment. In order to attack it, he has to scale his surroundings, and seems to be able to go very high. On top of that, he is forced to respond to the enemy's use of the environment. In previous KH games, this would all boil down to jumping 10 feet in the air and performing an aerial combo.
What you describing is not "next gen gameplay" its already been done in Kingdom Heart Dream Drop Distance's Flowmotion mechanics.

Some of you guys really have to work on your reading comprehension.
I am not saying "FF16 should have guns and stealth mechanics and crafting". I am saying that what defines "next gen gameplay" to me is the fleshing out and intersection of player character combat capabilities, enemy combat capabilities, level design, environmental interactivity and traversal. This is a mostly genre agnostic design philosophy.

You will notice that the only audio-visuals I provided for the OP are the 2013 videos for Final Fantasy XV.

I don't think that is neccessary to make 16s combat good and a focus on using/reacting with the environment could bog down the combat system, making it feel gimmicky rather than keeping it grounded like in DMC or Bayonetta games.

Nothing here isn't anything that can't be done on 8th gen either.

Kumomeme

people only pay attention toward DMC without actually look at most important stuff: Dragons Dogma

Ryota Suzuki not the main guy of DMC but he is the lead gameplay designer for Dragons Dogma. if you worry about dynamic encounter, traversal, enemy placement, we got main developers of Dragons Dogma for FF16 there.

why you bring TLOU2 as example? completely different type of game and this is action RPG with flashy combat against monster as main element of gameplay. it is fine if it just your preferences but stuff like optional stealth is not mandatory. if you want wide range of melee with stealth, you got Assasins Creed game for you. even Witcher 3 doesnt has that element.

Inb4 "scripted, fake". Yes, I get it. But this was Nomura's target, and you can't say it doesn't look enticing. Noctis' Warp ability and general locomotion allows for massive battlefields that don't feel tedious to get around.
first, the final version of FF15 we get is far from Nomura's inital version. you yourself aware that this is Nomura's vision but because of this, it is funny that you would compare FF16 with a footage of non existence version of game. this is just a cinematic. a trailer of multiple footage stiched together. a vertical slice of a product that still deep far in development, something that yet take shape. it is not different than compare with a tech demo footage.

also the final FF15 combat has problematic flow. while the warp ability is great but it is an example of how it is implemented poorly and the devs has no idea to properly implemented it aside from Leviathan set piece and yet it still suck. lot of stuff from that reveal trailer is also not available in final game. like warp and fight scaling enemy on high wall which is later carried and presented in KH3. the original vision died with Tabata. comparison from these announcement trailer is irrelevant because lot of stuff not make into the actual game. look at initial FF13 combat too, there is a reason why it changed at launch due to trial and error of what working or not by developers. if we want to compare, do it with a working actual game, not from a unplayable footage or just an 'idea'.

The scripted set piece has Noctis fighting in different spaces and warping between moving airships as Altissia crumbles in a tidal wave.
scripted set piece in FF15 mostly suck. that fight is Leviathan and all jumping around is a disconnected mess. same with Titan fight. i can see what the devs want to accomplish but in the end it has cool moment but half assed execution of cinematic set piece.

On top of that, there's environmental destruction that is the result of player or enemy choices. The scripted set piece has Noctis fighting in different spaces and warping between moving airships as Altissia crumbles in a tidal wave. I've seen nothing of FF16 that looks anywhere close to this scale.
EDIT: apparently people either didnt watch this or didnt pay proper attention. i even timestamped to save people time LOL.

I've seen nothing of FF16
you already played the full game?

Breathe Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

the game havent even launch yet and you already compare stuff that we barely known and seen, to version of game that non existence and those that already completely released.

(which is obviously devs hold back to avoid showing too much)

Patience Calm Down GIF by Brat TV

wait until the game actually released to draw conclusion. relax. there is just another month to go. everyone cant wait. but chill.

i get the anxiety or high expectation of the game need to be doing very well, but you need to hold your horses.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

What you describing is not "next gen gameplay" its already been done in Kingdom Heart Dream Drop Distance's Flowmotion mechanics.
I put next gen gameplay in quotes throughout this thread because it is not actually this unattainable thing that hasn't been done to some degree before. I even reference a PS4 game as an example of what I'm talking about.

That said, I do think this gen is the first one where having all of these areas truly fleshed out is possible for technological reasons and for design breakthroughs that have lead to this point. Which is why I still use the moniker.

As for KH3D, no. Flowmotion was slapped into a game where enemy and environment designs and assets were reused from PS2 and PSP KH games. The 3DS was not capable of providing the type of scale necessary to give that mechanic the verticality.
Most everyone can also agree that KH3's design was such that it was one of many mechanics slapped together from a conglomerate of spinoffs that made the combat easier less engaging to what was had on KH2 and KH2FM.

ProtoByte

I don't think that is neccessary to make 16s combat good
I never said it is. I said multiple timed that I think FF16 will be a good game.

I'm excited for FF16

To be clear, I do believe that Final Fantasy XVI will be a damn good game

and a focus on using/reacting with the environment could bog down the combat system, making it feel gimmicky rather than keeping it grounded like in DMC or Bayonetta games.
The last Bayonetta was plenty gimmicky, but I digress.

Nothing here isn't anything that can't be done on 8th gen either.
See the post above.

I never said it is. I said multiple timed that I think FF16 will be a good game.

The last Bayonetta was plenty gimmicky, but I digress.

See the post above.
There were gimmicky set pieces which often factored in the environment(which were also hated) but the combat sections did not involve the environment as a factor in fights, you don't scale across buildings or platforms in fights.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I put next gen gameplay in quotes throughout this thread because it is not actually this unattainable thing that hasn't been done to some degree before. I even reference a PS4 game as an example of what I'm talking about.
Again nothing about TLOU 2 combat is "next gen" heck I even go as far as say RE4 on original game cube felt better to play, so again I'm not getting that point.

Also maybe just maybe first let the game come out or at very least play it when demo comes before going on about how FFXVI combat should be. Because frankly I trust Ryota Suzuki's judgment over yours or other people on internet.

Matt_Fox

Kratos cant jump.

You're criticising FFXVI because the character can only run and double jump.

Kratos cant even jump - except for when he appears at a chasm and the game contextually decides that, yes, he can jump across it. Is the massive PS5 hit God Of War Ragnarok not next gen gameplay?

ProtoByte

Again nothing about TLOU 2 combat is "next gen" heck I even go as far as say RE4 on original game cube felt better to play, so again I'm not getting that point.
Stop being an idiot and actually read what you quoted, followed by what you conveniently cut out.

Also maybe just maybe first let the game come out or at very least play it when demo comes before going on about how FFXVI combat should be. Because frankly I trust Ryota Suzuki's judgment over yours or other people on internet.
I don't need to play the game to see with my own two eyes what it's going to be. I'm not talking about the quality of what it's doing, I'm talking about what it's trying to do. And it is very obvious that the other aspects of a combat sandbox other than the set of moves the player can learn and use are not the focus, if they account for anything at all.

ProtoByte

I don't really get your point OP. Can you summarise your statement in a sentence or two?
Not sure if trolling, but okay.
To me, the height of combat potential is when the player is faced with capable enemies in environments that change the dynamic of battle due to their layout, and react to player and enemy actions in audio-visual and functional ways. FF16 looks to be really strong on making Clive's attacks look and feel good, and it's only fair to assume that enemies will be capable to some extent, but nothing else seems to have been woven into encounter design.

hyperbertha

Jeezus people just need to spend a bit more time trying to understand what op means. His concern regarding ff16 is very valid. It looks dumbed down and streamlined in ways western generic aaa games tend to be.
All people don't find dmc esque combat all that fun or enticing. I personally grew out of that at about 18. Ops comparison to last of us was also spot on. Tlou offers freedom, decision making and ai that you typically don't find in games.
He's not asking to turn ff into stealth action, he's just asking for more interactivity and decision making parameters rather than the same generic dmc gameplay which to some is dull as hell.
But then again if ff turned into stealth action, nobody applauding it's dmc shift has any right to complain. It's just as valid as turning a turn based game into dmc knockoff.

lyan

Can't really comment on gameplay without playing it, but at least they didn't go the souls route of just slash and rolls.

I'm pretty sure bosses/enemies will be using attack patterns with some variation. I don't see them breaking that mold in any significant way. I'm fine with that for what this game is.
I expect battles to flow similar to FFXIV but with action based combat.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Kratos cant jump.

Kratos cant even jump - except for when he appears at a chasm and the game contextually decides that, yes, he can jump across it. Is the massive PS5 hit God Of War Ragnarok not next gen gameplay?
Someone's insecure. There was no mention of Ragnarok.

Jumping in and of itself does not immediately lead to robust verticality. It's one thing being able to jump for a quick aerial combo, and it's another to be able to take or lose the high ground in a combat encounter. Kratos might not be able to jump, but the levels are more vertical than they were before and the utility they provide is more pronounced than practically any other GoW game - including the original trilogy, which, again, was made in the image of DMC.

I'll tell you that GoW 2018 does not have "next gen combat" and I highly doubt Ragnarok does by the standards I've detailed so far other than in enemy design. Doesn't mean its bad, but I don't think those other areas are fleshed out to the point that I would say it reaches the threshold - including verticality.

From what I have played and seen though, those games do appear to have a more holistic combat suite than FF16 does.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think you're overanalyzing stuff. Expecting huge jumps here from what you've seen in other games previously is a mistake (though hype machine is partially to blame for that)

FFXVI will be a cool AAA action-adventure game with rpg elements and some set-pieces. Some will like the story, others won't. Some will like the combat, others won't think much of it. Neither is likely to be "mind-blowingly-god-tier-next-gen-whatever", just somewhere between great to serviceable. Some will play it day 1 and call it their goty for personal reasons, others will get it during bargain bin sales thinking it an ok-game, or never.

Just drop this obsession over what is "next-gen" or not. Those times are over. You won't see anything like a 2D to 3D jump for a long time. VR is the closest but its having way too much trouble catching on like 3D did.

Last edited:
Kratos cant jump.

I don't neccessarily agree with OP but no, not at all. Ragnarok is cross gen.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why is everyone going on about FF 15's combat (which sucked) and not the more recent FF7 remake? Did anyone else play the unique battles on hard? I thought they where fun and mechanically interesting enough, although it feels like Hard mode was essentially what FF7 remake was built for encounter wise, the restriction on using items in combat really helped the combat feel interesting since you couldn't just elixer your way through every encounter.

This one seems more player constructed combo driven, since they have only focussed on one character and their move set. Honestly don't see much to worry about.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

The final previews that dropped today would like to have a word OP.
Oh? Do they have anything to do with level design and environmental interactivity that changes tactics and paradigms throughout a fight?

I'm pretty sure FFXVI combat will amount to much more than "press X to awesome", so relax OP.
I didn't say it wouldn't. I probably shouldn't bother being robust here as people keep skim reading and not understanding my robust point before, but I'll do it again.

Final Fantasy XVI does not look like a game where memorizing combos is going to be the sole source of depth, if really the point at all. It looks like you're doing to have to time and place your attacks appropriately (placement is an element of positioning, so it looks better than your average character action game there), take risks on getting in close, and managing the resources relevant to Eikon abilities. DMC this is not quite.

In other words: The fundamentals of the player character's offensive capabilites are clearly there. As I said before. I don't expect or even really want this game to change in accordance to the other elements of combat I detailed before.

But I do know that it's why thus game is not getting me ecstatic; think that its partially why the excitement is relatively tame; and want that out of more games going forward.

Last edited:

Fbh

Towards the end I grew quite bored of the fights in TLOU2 to be honest. The core is solid but by the 30th time you see yet another group of generic enemies approach another samey looking location I was ready for it to be done. IMO the game lacks variety to justify the 30 hours run time.
If FFXVI can keep giving me new skills, new loot/upgrades, new enemy types, new unique bosses and new unique looking areas at a steady pace for the 40ish hours of the main story I'll probably have more fun with it even if there's nothing particularly next gen about it.

Either way I think this problem is something affecting the industry as a whole and not just FFXVI. We are 3 years into this new gen and there's been nothing that has remotely felt next gen in regards to gameplay....maybe the portal stuff in Ratchet but IMO even that could be done last gen with longer loading. And even last gen felt like it didn't really didn't add much to the Ps3/360 era of design aside from everything being on a larger scale.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Oh? Do they have anything to do with level design and environmental interactivity that changes tactics and paradigms throughout a fight?

I didn't say it wouldn't. I probably shouldn't bother being robust here as people keep skim reading and not understanding my robust point before, but I'll do it again.

Final Fantasy XVI does not look like a game where memorizing combos is going to be the sole source of depth, if really the point at all. It looks like you're doing to have to time and place your attacks appropriately (placement is an element of positioning, so it looks better than your average character action game there), take risks on getting in close, and managing the resources relevant to Eikon abilities. DMC this is not quite.

In other words: The fundamentals of the player character's offensive capabilites are clearly there. As I said before. I don't expect or even really want this game to change in accordance to the other elements of combat I detailed before.

But I do know that it's why thus game is not getting me ecstatic; think that its partially why the excitement is relatively tame; and do want that out of more games going forward, and I
How did your preview play through go?….ohhhh

Also, saying the word robust doesn’t make you comments any more robust.

Sounds like some saltiness going on..idk, maybe I’m wrong 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Honestly, did you really think Gaffers would sit and read your diatribe when it's predicated on only a few video tidbits of FFXVI combat footage? We know next to nothing about the combat and yet you've already detailed out a whole fanfiction in your head about how the combat is going to be and then you type out a whole essay criticizing said fictional speculation on what the combat will be like.

I'm sorry but, there's something wrong with folks who are so invested in their own internal world that they spend time criticizing their own speculation and conjecture as if it was real.

ProtoByte

Honestly, did you really think Gaffers would sit and read your diatribe when it's predicated on only a few video tidbits of FFXVI combat footage? We know next to nothing about the combat and yet you've already detailed out a whole fanfiction in your head about how the combat is going to be and then you type out a whole essay criticizing said fictional speculation on what the combat will be like.
Come the fuck on, dude. "Tidbits"? "Next to nothing about the combat"? Who are you trying to fool here? I don't know where you've been, but they've had multiple previews and an entire SOP around this game, showing off easily half an hour of combat footage before today. This game is not reinventing the wheel either; assuming a person has actually played games before, they can take a look at this footage and understand what the game is doing. They've had interviews that reinforce what such a person would see by watching the game footage that they've released.

Excuse me for daring to talk at any length about game mechanics that have been talked about and displayed numerous times as promo material to SELL PEOPLE on, on a supposedly enthusiast game forum.

I'm sorry but, there's something wrong with folks who are so invested in their own internal world that they spend time criticizing their own speculation and conjecture as if it was real.
You can pack away the condescension. I don't think you actually read what you quoted, and certainly not what you cut out from the quote. You're getting defensive over me stating the obvious.

When the game comes out and I turn out to be correct in my evaluation of what this game is trying to do, will you return to this thread and retract your statements? Because I doubt it.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Apparently the performance mode in this is very lackluster and not smooth at all.

Mentioned several times throughout these impressions.

However they are VERY HIGH on the game overall.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Wtf is this nonsense? We know EXACTLY how the combat works. There's far more footage out their plus previews from people who've actually played the game than any other recent game in memory. Maybe don't live under a rock when you try to sound smart?

Wtf is this nonsense? We know EXACTLY how the combat works. There's far more footage out their plus previews from people who've actually played the game than any other recent game in memory. Maybe don't live under a rock when you try to sound smart?

Yeah we’ve seen it and it looks awesome.

“dumbed down and streamlined” it is not. Turn based is not synonymous with high sophistication while action is somehow low brow

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Yeah we’ve seen it and it looks awesome.

“dumbed down and streamlined” it is not. Turn based is not synonymous with high sophistication while action is somehow low brow
Action is in most cases devoid of depth. Most experienced gamers grow out of it. Only exception I can think of is souls. Turn based is indeed far more sophisticated in the vast majority of games. my point to him wasn't even about whether it was fun or not.

Action is in most cases devoid of depth. Most experienced gamers grow out of it. Only exception I can think of is souls. Turn based is indeed far more sophisticated in the vast majority of games. my point to him wasn't even about whether it was fun or not.

That’s why turn based is wildly more popular as people age, right? Um…nope

Turn based is fine, but it’s ancient and largely outdated and solves a problem that no longer exists

You can combine the depth of turn based options with the dexterity, skill, and engagement that action provides

Hugare

Inb4 "scripted, fake". Yes, I get it. But this was Nomura's target, and you can't say it doesn't look enticing. Noctis' Warp ability and general locomotion allows for massive battlefields that don't feel tedious to get around. On top of that, there's environmental destruction that is the result of player or enemy choices. The scripted set piece has Noctis fighting in different spaces and warping between moving airships as Altissia crumbles in a tidal wave. I've seen nothing of FF16 that looks anywhere close to this scale.
No, you dont get it

Because after saying that, you started comparing a trailer from a game that never existed to a game that will be launching next month

Nocts warp ability would never work in a working game. How would you be able to aim where to warp to during combat? Thats why in the final game you could only warp to specific objects (it was worthless)
Environmental destruction also didnt make the final cut. Probably because it wouldnt work in open environments, where the game takes place 90% of the time.

"The scripted set piece has Noctis fighting in different spaces and warping between moving airships as Altissia crumbles in a tidal wave. I've seen nothing of FF16 that looks anywhere close to this scale."

You also havent seen anything like that in the actual FF XV game, btw.

And seriously, are you really complaining about scale in a game where summons can battle each other?

What other game can offer this sense of scale? I can only think of God of War 3

hussar16

I'm not digging this game at all. Everything looks so generic. What happened to the cool art style that seemed to end with ffx.everything from ss7 to x12 had a charm to it. This feels like a empty soulless game the art style and vraphics at times looks just like ff14 mmo but a little better and the ps2 like faces don't help either

Exentryk

FF XV E3 2013 trailer is just the best video game trailer ever in my opinion. I still want this game, I'll never be able to let it go.

Also Noctis' warp strike is such a fantastic and satisfying mechanic, I want it in other games.
Between the warp, the ghost / royal weapons, the modern setting etc, I think it will be hard to have something as stylish as XV (visually) again. It was just perfect, too bad it didn't end up being what it could have been, but the potential was there for something glorious.
Warping was pretty fun!

Final Fantasy XV Platinum Demo - Air Dodges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom