• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker |OT|

Fuz

Banned
By the way, it's amazing what you can achieve when you keep nomura away from Final Fantasy!

royox

By the way, it's amazing what you can achieve when you keep nomura away from Final Fantasy!

Actually he's in charge of Shadowbringer's raid story (Eden) and it's not bad at all (the last battle of the last patch has been amazing).

But yeah at what you said.

I've finished ARR yesterday night. Was really surprised when the game warned me about the lenght of the cutscenes.
2Rce3.gif

Anyway, I was told the game and its story were good, but I wasn't imagining for the writing to be *this* good. Fantastic game.

It's easily the best FF since IX.
ARR story is actually pretty meh, and they are streamlining a lot of more fetchier fetch quests out of it in the upcoming June 5.3 patch to make it easier for new players and old players who want to use the New Game+ feature with ARR.

Heavensward is amazing on multiple levels. It's definitely the second best expansion in FFXIV, it expands the world in a meaningful way, and the story is absolutely outstanding both as a personal journey and in the context of an overarching story which grows in the telling.

Stormblood was kinda shit except for the parts in the Far East. This is the expansion that I was not subscribed for, having quit a few months into HW and not returning for more than 3 years, just a month before Shadowbringers.

Shadowbringers is easily the best Final Fantasy story since X. Yes, it is that good. FFXIV is quietly the single best story-driven MMO that I'm aware of and ShB is the single biggest reason why.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finally got around to doing the 5.2 patch story. Seemed shorter than the 5.1 content iirc (and same for the nier content as well) but still cool nonetheless.

I can't wait to
fight zodiark eventually

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
ARR story is actually pretty meh, and they are streamlining a lot of more fetchier fetch quests out of it in the upcoming June 5.3 patch to make it easier for new players and old players who want to use the New Game+ feature with ARR.
The ending was fire.
Although, they're kinda ruining it with Heavensward
The sultana is still alive? Bullshit
But yeah, too many "go there, talk with that, now go to the other side of the world and come back" fillers. Who cares about stupid Tataru and her mining.
HW seems much better in that regard, so far.

royox

The ending was fire.
Although, they're kinda ruining it with Heavensward
The sultana is still alive? Bullshit
But yeah, too many "go there, talk with that, now go to the other side of the world and come back" fillers. Who cares about stupid Tataru and her mining.
HW seems much better in that regard, so far.

I recommend completing the crystal tower quest, it will be mandatory in the next patch and it's very important to understand shadowbringers

Fuz

Banned
I recommend completing the crystal tower quest, it will be mandatory in the next patch and it's very important to understand shadowbringers
Done that already :3
I love raids.
Too bad I can't find people for the Second Coil.

royox

Done that already :3
I love raids.
Too bad I can't find people for the Second Coil.

Try create a party finder, there's always people wanting to repeat the coils or helping older players. Worst case scenario you can rush most of the coils yourself alone at lvl60-70 and ask for help for the final bosses.

Reactions: Fuz
Brb, gonna ask for a refund.
Don't worry, he's wrong. Nomura was only responsible for character and boss designs in the raid. Nothing story related, thankfully!

You can also solo almost all of Coil at 80.
Not almost. It's completely doable on many jobs at this point in iLvl. The only one that is remotely difficult is T9 because you have to burst down the last ~40% HP before you get hit with an instant death mechanic.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
So... Heavensward maps. They're obviously designed to annoy the shit out of you until you unlock flying in them. Are the following expansions' maps as much insufferable?

Fuz

Banned
Is it me or Heavensward is a giant ripoff of Dark Souls? The Vault in particular is plainly Anor Londo, there's even Ornstein(s) and the white gargoyles.

Son of a bitch, they killed Hauchefart.
svej4.gif

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally completed the Crystal Tower quest line... long after I had finished ShadowBringers. I highly recommend any of you that haven't done it yet to do so before heading into the ShadowBringers 5.0 expansion.

Last edited:
Starting with the ARR revamp in upcoming patch 5.3, the Crystal Tower quest line is now a mandatory part of the MSQ (Main Story Quests) which reflects their future significance in Shadowbringers.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Re-subbed yesterday. Doing 5.1 and 5.2 content now.

Glad for NPC dungeons so that I can de-rust. Its a pretty casual game outside the difficulty challenges, but wouldn't wanna drag a party down especially not as a tank.

Fuz

Banned
I'm done with Heavensward, am I the only one that, when got to that point, thought that casting the eyes of Nidhogg in the abyss was a really fucking stupid thing to do? And I was proven right.

Right now I'm trying to recruit people for the Alha Migo resistance, and I actually couldn't care less about them.

By the way, I'm on Cerberus server if someone else is there.

EDIT: Also, Yda > Lyse, and the whole revelation was dumb and pointless. "Hey guys, I'm actually *GASP* my sister! The one you never saw in the game in the first place, the one nobody ever mentioned and the one you obviously have no attachment whatsoever! WHAT A PLOT TWIST, AMIRITE?"

Well good luck with Stormblood cuz Ala Mhigo alone accounts for like 50 hours of story minimum lmao
Greeeeeeeeeat. How long to reach the friggin' samurais?
I love Gosetsu

Last edited:
I'm done with Heavensward, am I the only one that, when got to that point, thought that casting the eyes of Nidhogg in the abyss was a really fucking stupid thing to do? And I was proven right.

Right now I'm trying to recruit people for the Alha Migo resistance, and I actually couldn't care less about them.

By the way, I'm on Cerberus server if someone else is there.

EDIT: Also, Yda > Lyse, and the whole revelation was dumb and pointless. "Hey guys, I'm actually *GASP* my sister! The one you never saw in the game in the first place, the one nobody ever mentioned and the one you obviously have no attachment whatsoever! WHAT A PLOT TWIST, AMIRITE?"

Greeeeeeeeeat. How long to reach the friggin' samurais?
I love Gosetsu
Lol man.

Good luck. Shadowbringers is good but it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be, imo.

Last edited:
Lol man.

Good luck. Shadowbringers is good but it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be, imo.
I'd say it's great but not as amazing as some make it out to be. Heavensward is still king for a variety of reasons.

Warning, do not highlight if you haven't completed Shadowbringers:
Two fakeout deaths (I'm 99.9% sure that Thancred was supposed to die at that moment but Yoshi-P and Co. were too chickenshit to let the writer have her way), the entire Kholusia Talos story arc (both the depressed dude and building the giant Talos through the power of friendship), and Emet-Selch being a second-rate Ardyn Izunia drag it all down for me.

Valonquar

Finally got Triple Triad card from Memoria Misera EX. Down to just Kefka Savage mount and Eden mounts... then I'm going to have to get real creative to find stuff to do til 5.3

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Lyse taught me that I actually kind of like airheads. Sorry to all the actually smart chicks out there, I cant help what my body wants.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I just started playing again. I am wrapping up Stormblood now. Looking forward to Shadowbringers I have heard good things. Stormblood didn't hook me as much as I had hoped.

Fuz

Banned
I just started playing again. I am wrapping up Stormblood now. Looking forward to Shadowbringers I have heard good things. Stormblood didn't hook me as much as I had hoped.
I liked Stormblood more than Heavensward. Doma and Kugane are fantastic and the characters are better than those in HW.
But fuck Ala Mhigo, Gyr Abania and all those ragamuffins. Really didn't care about them.

Just starting Shadowbringers now, after wrapping up all those blue quests that popped (Omega was pretty cool). Let's see if people are right to praise it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
A realm reborn was pretty cool, but all of the expansions get 10/10’s from me. I just really enjoyed them all. The story, the characters, the music, the exploration, etc...

Fuz

Banned
How is it possible that in this game NO ONE EVER FUCKING DIES?

I mean, the writing is generally good, but this completely devalues every fucking character's death. I hate when writers do that.

Fuz

Banned
The best mmo community around.
Just having the worst day since I reactivated. Need to rant, as the grumpy old man I am.

Farming PVP for the new tokens, some guy started insulting me because he thought I was going "the wrong lane" with the oppressor. I just tell him to shut up and defend the mechs, but he keeps going insulting and I keep telling him to shut up but whatever, the game ends. Obviously he's in the next match too, 2 minutes in and he start crying in alliance chan that I was afk, he keeps going all the match and... they just kick me near the end while I was busy killing an oppressor. I'm pretty pissed that I wasted all that time but I requeue. Next match, one of the "teammates" I had before was in my same group AGAIN, and he spends half match spamming the "1" mark on top of my head. Nobody even say anything and after half match I find myself kicked again (!). This time I was in front of enemy base trying to defend an oppressor.
And no, just to be clear: I never afked. Also first time ever that I have any negativity in PVP since the beginning of the event (and I already farmed all the mounts, minions and cards).
Ok, dungeon time: I get my newly 50ed warrior and I go on a roulette. People bothering me to "pull more" and "run faster" (and I fucking hate when people go around pulling when I'm tanking), and when I do, I die. Then they start blaming my "shitty equip" (haven't finished the 50 quest yet tbh) and... I got kicked in front of the final boss.
Queue again, again people pulling left and right but less deaths and when I ask them to stop doing that they do - not without complaining and being annoying- so we get to the end. The duty is city of amdapoor, so I ask if someone could mark doors and one of them says "no need just avoid balls" (?). I'm still kinda noobish so ok, I'll follow you around. 4 wipes and they still don't want to mark the doors. Then the healer and the "no need" dps leave, 2 people (new to the instance, as they said) join, I mark doors and we kill Diablos at first try.

Seriously, fuck all mmos communities. /novice is super nice and helpful but the rest can burn in hell.

EDIT: Well, guess what. Yesterday night I was doing rounds of PvP and at some point someone started spamming marks on my head again. I write "Can you please stop?" in chat but apparently nope. Of course the idiot was the same guy as the other day, just with a different character... the MO was the same. And guess what... no one ever talked in chat, and while piloting a mech I found myself kicked. I made a report this time but obviously they won't do shit about it.

Fuck this piece of shit community.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I'd say it's great but not as amazing as some make it out to be. Heavensward is still king for a variety of reasons.

Warning, do not highlight if you haven't completed Shadowbringers:
Two fakeout deaths (I'm 99.9% sure that Thancred was supposed to die at that moment but Yoshi-P and Co. were too chickenshit to let the writer have her way), the entire Kholusia Talos story arc (both the depressed dude and building the giant Talos through the power of friendship), and Emet-Selch being a second-rate Ardyn Izunia drag it all down for me.
nah..its otherway around....Emet-Selch is what Ardyn failed to be

nah..its otherway around....Emet-Selch is what Ardyn failed to be
I'm not sure what you mean, especially when you consider that Emet failed his goal, while Ardyn accomplished his goal in the end. Even Elidibus basically said that Emet was a failure in the last patch lol

Also, Ardyn's voice actor is a thousand times better than Emet's. :p

Kumomeme

I'm not sure what you mean, especially when you consider that Emet failed his goal, while Ardyn accomplished his goal in the end. Even Elidibus basically said that Emet was a failure in the last patch lol

Also, Ardyn's voice actor is a thousand times better than Emet's. :p
thats just plot differences lol....its like arguing kefka succeeded while sephiroth are not...
we talking about overall how the character being handled in the game, by the devs, how it presented and writed....how Emet-Selch being executed in game compared to Ardyn

JORMBO

Darkness no more

As of now, Patch 5.3─Reflections in Crystal is scheduled to release on Tuesday, August 11, 2020.

Last edited:

A.Romero

So I got this game last weekend during the Steam Summer sale. I have 0 experience with MMO other than a few hours with WoW when it launched back in 2003 I think. I went on a trip for a while and when I came back I didn't want to pay the sub so I stopped playing altogether.

I decided to go for an archer with the initial Job and I'm at level 15, just had the chance to visit the second city. This was my primary goal because I'm trying to play with my brother and his race/class started in the second city (can't remember the name, lol). Once I got there we party up and tried to help him with his quests but the objectives only appear for him so I just follow him around and help him killing the enemies he finds. Is this how it's supposed to work? I know it's probably a pretty stupid question but the most similar stuff I have played is Diablo III and The Division which are totally the opposite.

I'm interested in developing the Dark Knight job as well. How can I get around to that? I've checked guides but for some reason I just can't understand.

I joined the Novice channel and have come across some nice people there.

Any pointers for a total noob?

I decided I will play the trial fully and decide if I want to continue.

Mikado

Is this how it's supposed to work? I know it's probably a pretty stupid question but the most similar stuff I have played is Diablo III and The Division which are totally the opposite.
Most of the MSQ (Main Story Quest - mandatory quests with the flaming metor icon) are expected to be done solo, with the exception of the instanced Dungeons and Trials. Quest Objectives are per-player, not per party. You and your friend are free to pick up the same quests at the same time if you're at the same point in the story, but you'll have to do the battles/fetch the items for each player (in the overworld, you won't both get credit for the objectives - only the player who triggered the encounter will, so you'll have to do each objective twice. For instanced dungeons, you will both get credit).

I'm interested in developing the Dark Knight job as well. How can I get around to that? I've checked guides but for some reason I just can't understand.
You will need to complete ARR and the ARR Post Game and get to the Heavensward expansion. The DRK quest is available at level 50 in the Heavensward main city. Edit: You'll also have to own the Heavensward expansion (which is included with Shadowbringers or Complete Edition - buying the latest expansion includes all the previous ones).

Overall, progression in FFXIV is gated by completion of the MSQ. You can't disregard the quests and just grind to max level because all of the dungeons, many class abilities, and access to new zones are locked behind either MSQ quests or Important quests (blue quests with the + icon on them). You can safely ignore the brown quest markers as they only provide EXP/Gil/basic items/lore tidbits.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Most of the MSQ (Main Story Quest - mandatory quests with the flaming metor icon) are expected to be done solo, with the exception of the instanced Dungeons and Trials. Quest Objectives are per-player, not per party. You and your friend are free to pick up the same quests at the same time if you're at the same point in the story, but you'll have to do the battles/fetch the items for each player (in the overworld, you won't both get credit for the objectives - only the player who triggered the encounter will, so you'll have to do each objective twice. For instanced dungeons, you will both get credit).

You will need to complete ARR and the ARR Post Game and get to the Heavensward expansion. The DRK quest is available at level 50 in the Heavensward main city. Edit: You'll also have to own the Heavensward expansion (which is included with Shadowbringers or Complete Edition - buying the latest expansion includes all the previous ones).

Overall, progression in FFXIV is gated by completion of the MSQ. You can't disregard the quests and just grind to max level because all of the dungeons, many class abilities, and access to new zones are locked behind either MSQ quests or Important quests (blue quests with the + icon on them). You can safely ignore the brown quest markers as they only provide EXP/Gil/basic items/lore tidbits.
Thanks for the useful info!

So basically we are set to play solo until we start coming across dungeons and trials, right? A bit of a let down but I think we can power trough.

Hopefully there is at least one dungeon or trial within the trial of the game.

Mikado

Hopefully there is at least one dungeon or trial within the trial of the game.

First dungeon is Sastasha, unlockable at level 15. There are eight dungeons available before level 35 (the trial limit), and I think two trials.

Once you have at least two dungeons unlocked in the Duty Finder, you will have access to the leveling roulette: a daily mission that gives a big chunk of exp, and with two trials unlocked you also get the Trials Roulette. You can do these with friends by forming a party, then joining the appropriate roulette in the Duty Finder. Any unfilled slots will be filled with other players. Note that there are role restrictions as most Duty Finder parties must have One Tank, One Healer and Two DPS, so you and your friend can't both go in as Tanks or both as Healers (but can both go in as DPS, or a DPS and something else, or as a Tank and a Healer).

A lot of the party-play in the game is running your daily instanced roulettes (more and more types of roulette open up as you progress, but most of the others will be available later in the post-trial level range). In terms of overworld group play, later on there are Hunts and Treasure Maps.

Last edited:

A.Romero

First dungeon is Sastasha, unlockable at level 15. There are eight dungeons available before level 35 (the trial limit), and I think two trials.

Once you have at least two dungeons unlocked in the Duty Finder, you will have access to the leveling roulette: a daily mission that gives a big chunk of exp, and with two trials unlocked you also get the Trials Roulette. You can do these with friends by forming a party, then joining the appropriate roulette in the Duty Finder. Any unfilled slots will be filled with other players. Note that there are role restrictions as most Duty Finder parties must have One Tank, One Healer and Two DPS, so you and your friend can't both go in as Tanks or both as Healers (but can both go in as DPS, or a DPS and something else, or as a Tank and a Healer).

A lot of the party-play in the game is running your daily instanced roulettes (more and more types of roulette open up as you progress, but most of the others will be available later in the post-trial level range). In terms of overworld group play, later on there are Hunts and Treasure Maps.

That's great to know. Thanks a lot.

I'll wait for him to get to lvl 15 so we can get to Sastasha.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

New to Patch 5.3
  • Main Scenario Quests
  • New Dungeon - The Heroes' Gauntlet
  • New Trial
  • New Alliance Raid - YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse: The Puppets' Bunker
  • Chronicles of a New Era - The Sorrow of Werlyt
  • Faux Hollows - The Akh Afah Amphitheatre (Unreal)
  • New Custom Deliveries
  • Beast Tribe Quests - Dwarves
  • Save the Queen - Unforgiven, Unforgotten
  • New Battlefield - Bozjan Southern Front
  • Ishgardian Restoration Updates
  • Skysteel Tool Updates
  • A Realm Reborn Area Improvements
  • Trial Synthesis
  • New Game+ Updates
  • Sundry Splendors

Top Bottom