• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker |OT|

Valonquar

Ur5KYUP.jpg

Finished grinding Zadnor... now I'm really LTTP trying to get a DR Savage clear for cerebus mount. It is just as painful as I remember last time I tried joining blind prog pugs. I think I might stick with it a few nights a week or something, but it's kinda draining.

Nicely done! I had the same plan but got sick of Zadnor after my 55th Dalriada run (it took that many runs for the damn Lyon notes to drop!). Ended at 6 Fortitute 10 Valor, and enough raw emotions for like 12 relic weapons lol

Also, since you play tank, you should try out Warrior in Bozja! Lost Blood Rage + Lost Font of Power has me top DPS in everything Bozja... it's pretty awesome.

forgot the Irregular Tomestone of Pageantry thing ends today and now I'm left with like 180 of them with no way to spend it. feelsbadman.jpg at least I got the emotes, minions and mounts I want out of it, so it doesn't sting as much.

Last edited:
It seems like the WoW exodus is in full swing now, because one of (if not the) most popular WoW streamers (Asmongold) said he would play the game. Lots of WoW streamers seem to be following suit, and I've had intermittent server issues on Primal for the first time since ShB launch!

Now the question is how many of them will survive ARR lmao

Valonquar

Well they realized doing it would bring them lots of views, so I take it all with a grain of salt. I really don't understand the whole FFXIV is for weebs from the WoW guys tho. . . I mean WoW is worse with sophomoric humor and puns. I played the shit out of OG WoW & BC before finally quitting. The entire time I played WoW back then I always pointed out how FFXI had better story and actual cutscenes. WoW was waaaaay easier to play though.

Well they realized doing it would bring them lots of views, so I take it all with a grain of salt. I really don't understand the whole FFXIV is for weebs from the WoW guys tho. . . I mean WoW is worse with sophomoric humor and puns. I played the shit out of OG WoW & BC before finally quitting. The entire time I played WoW back then I always pointed out how FFXI had better story and actual cutscenes. WoW was waaaaay easier to play though.

I remember playing WOW for a while from it's beta (yes, the original beta) until about one year after the original release because some of my friends were playing it. at the time I was also playing FFXI, and WOW simply just does not appeal to me at all. I enjoyed the whole Alliance and Horde aspect of things and even thou I don't PvP, having those zones that are open to PvP is kinda cool. but at the end, the raid scene and the fact that you can't play any of the different jobs on one character just isn't for me. good to see that more people are going into FFXIV now a days, and hopefully they can adapt to how a game can be play with XIV.

YukiOnna

It seems like the WoW exodus is in full swing now, because one of (if not the) most popular WoW streamers (Asmongold) said he would play the game. Lots of WoW streamers seem to be following suit, and I've had intermittent server issues on Primal for the first time since ShB launch!

Now the question is how many of them will survive ARR lmao
I fear for my Youtube with its damn "x reacts to FFXIV/plays FFXIV" videos popping up on the front page. God help me because I didn't do a single thing to trigger it.

I fear for my Youtube with its damn "x reacts to FFXIV/plays FFXIV" videos popping up on the front page. God help me because I didn't do a single thing to trigger it.
Click the dots next to the video thumbnail and select "Don't recommend again" (or something like that) and they should stop showing up. Did that a long time ago and my feed is clear of low-effort Youtubers. (y)

Fuz

Banned

Valonquar

JPWUifq.jpg

Made it to floor 200 of Palace of the Dead. Farming artifacts for relic finally pushed me to get back to trying this. The final 20 floors are intense! Way harder than Heaven on High IMHO...and def takes far too long to do.

5.57 Patch Notes

TL;DR:
Unlocked + Echo Eden's Promise Savage
Doubled weekly tome cap
Some Bozja adjustments

And most importantly:
NhUMvjo.jpg

Should make ShB relics MUCH easier. 15 runs per relic was absolute torture. Don't know how people completed more than one relic without going insane lol

Last edited:

Valonquar

Is the coin from final Neir raid still locked to 1 a week? I'll prob be done with relics in a another few days, but have lots of 520 gear to upgrade. Wanna get ranged dps to 530 and have a full drg set for Reaper too.

was leveling my WAR in roulette and got into the Ravana fight. 5 out of the 8 ppl in the fight are sprouts but I didn't really think too much about it at first. got to the butterfly part and we wiped because nobody was killing the butterflies. so we start again and I explain to them about the butterflies. so everyone's on board now and got passed that part. then like half of the team died because of the knockback and what not. we were like 2 or 3% on the boss and only me, the other tank, the SAM and a MCH are left. turns out the SAM didn't think of using LB even thou we have it at 3 bars. so we wiped again and a 3rd time on the next one because of knockbacks again. so we talked about that part too and got everyone to run it again. so the 4th time's the charm. finally downed the boss and everyone cheers. it was fun all around and everyone is willing to learn and taking on the fight even through the wipes. things like this really makes me love playing MMOs and this game in particular.

Is the coin from final Neir raid still locked to 1 a week? I'll prob be done with relics in a another few days, but have lots of 520 gear to upgrade. Wanna get ranged dps to 530 and have a full drg set for Reaper too.
Yes - Tower will likely be unlocked in 5.58, along with the ability to buy the Cryptlurker weapon upgrade. Though I'm not sure what the point of Cryptlurker weapons are anymore considering Relics are completed now. Edit: On second thought, the Augmented Cryptlurker weapons might be better than Relics for non-WAR tanks (can't add Direct Hit to Tank Relics, but you can meld DH to the Augs). But aside from those, I'm pretty sure the Relics have slightly better stats for every other job.

And we've got SO much time until Endwalker.. we'll probably have a 530 set for every single job by November lmao. I've already got 3 sets (Fending, Striking, Maiming) under my belt with 5 months to go...

Last edited:

Kumomeme

was leveling my WAR in roulette and got into the Ravana fight. 5 out of the 8 ppl in the fight are sprouts but I didn't really think too much about it at first. got to the butterfly part and we wiped because nobody was killing the butterflies. so we start again and I explain to them about the butterflies. so everyone's on board now and got passed that part. then like half of the team died because of the knockback and what not. we were like 2 or 3% on the boss and only me, the other tank, the SAM and a MCH are left. turns out the SAM didn't think of using LB even thou we have it at 3 bars. so we wiped again and a 3rd time on the next one because of knockbacks again. so we talked about that part too and got everyone to run it again. so the 4th time's the charm. finally downed the boss and everyone cheers. it was fun all around and everyone is willing to learn and taking on the fight even through the wipes. things like this really makes me love playing MMOs and this game in particular.
i have great memories of playing that fight too. after few try(forgot), Ravana has just little hp left but almost everyone is down except single healer. at the very last moment the healer bring out LB everyone raised and we make a comeback at very last minute to win the fight.

"New" mount promotion going on with Twitch. Buy 4 Gift subs ($20) to get the Fat Black Chocobo Mount

I put new in quotations because this mount was offered years ago during another Amazon promotion, except that promo was better because you could buy Game Time for $20 instead of 4 Twitch subs that are essentially useless for everyone but the streamer. But if I remember correctly, EU never had access to that promo so this is probably their first (and only?) chance to get it.

On the subject of Fat Chocobos, I stumbled upon this video I uploaded years ago of when the original Fat Chocobo mounts first released. For those who didn't play at ARR launch, you can kinda see how Mor Dhona progressed over time (particularly the tent area where Rowena's House of Splendors is now located).

Last edited:
Potential bad news for fans of Matsuno's work in the game (Ivalice, Bozja, etc.)
kor4vwpoob771.png

I guess this kinda explains why the Field Notes for Gabranth hastily tell the epilogue of the story. Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding of some sort...

Kumomeme

Potential bad news for fans of Matsuno's work in the game (Ivalice, Bozja, etc.)
kor4vwpoob771.png

I guess this kinda explains why the Field Notes for Gabranth hastily tell the epilogue of the story. Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding of some sort...
"See you in another game."

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

"See you in another game."

Licking Jackie Chan GIF
It won't be Final Fantasy, so don't get too excited. Technically, he isn't an SE employee (remember he had a falling out with SE during XII's development) and was only contracted for his XIV stories.
His most recent non-XIV project was Unsung Story, a FFT-like that released in Early Access last year and currently has Mixed reviews. :\
He doesn't sounds like it was his choice.
Hard to say. But it certainly sounds like there were plans to continue to story.

Last edited:

DF collaborated with another YT channel (My Life in Gaming) to make a FFXIV performance test across all PlayStations because no one at DF plays the game apparently lol

The video is actually quite in-depth and very well-made, and brings up long-standing issues such as the game's poor FXAA anti-aliasing. It also reveals that there's something wrong with the native PS5 client, because running the PS4 client on PS5 yields better framerates even when set to a higher resolution than the PS5 version.

w4UMqWz.jpg

I've seen people complain about the PS5 framerates in-game as well (specifically in Zadnor), so if you play on PS5 consider installing the PS4 client as an alternate option.

Last edited:
I know, another WOW vs FFXIV video. but I think this one is pretty well written and a good dive into the different aspects of the 2 games. give it a watch if you're interested.

So yesterday was the 'big day' when Asmon finally played the game, which surprisingly coincided with CohhCarnage also jumping back in.
Apparently the XIV Twitch directory topped out at 220k and made it to the top five. The game also peaked the all-time player count on Steam, which obviously doesn't include non-Steam clients. Pretty wild day for the game's popularity.

Unfortunately, the community wasn't exactly at its best (great community btw) and some folks were doing their best to make the experience miserable for him. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone here, but just in case: don't be a dick to new players, even if they're not streamers. :)

Valonquar

TBH it's got to be the worse way to experience the game. He should have just recorded his stuff and streamed it later. Being surrounded by endgame people while you do level 5 quests all day is obnoxious.

So yesterday was the 'big day' when Asmon finally played the game, which surprisingly coincided with CohhCarnage also jumping back in.
Apparently the XIV Twitch directory topped out at 220k and made it to the top five. The game also peaked the all-time player count on Steam, which obviously doesn't include non-Steam clients. Pretty wild day for the game's popularity.

Unfortunately, the community wasn't exactly at its best (great community btw) and some folks were doing their best to make the experience miserable for him. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone here, but just in case: don't be a dick to new players, even if they're not streamers. :)

TBH it's got to be the worse way to experience the game. He should have just recorded his stuff and streamed it later. Being surrounded by endgame people while you do level 5 quests all day is obnoxious.

to be fair, I skipped around on the video last night, and even thou I'm not the biggest fan of Asmon, I have to give it to him for playing through all those people just clowning around him and having the patience for it to stream that whole thing for so many hours while still keeping the audience engaged and playing at the same time. I too feel he should at least play the starting parts by himself and then start streaming later on once he actually get comfortable with the game. but in any case, hope he has a good time and in turn show more people that the game is good.

You know they're gonna bring WoW community with them, right? LoL times ahead.
I've heard about how toxic the WoW community can be, but XIV is more strictly moderated so the bad eggs should be weaned out. I doubt said bad eggs would even survive ARR in all honesty lol. And if they pay for a story/level skip, they're probably more inclined to behave as to not throw that money down the drain, right?

Besides, it's not like the XIV community isn't without its bad eggs and toxicity already... the difference is that XIV bad eggs are conniving sociopaths that know how to skirt around the rules. Just look up how bad stalking can get in XIV, for example. Or the brothels... some people are fucking weird in this game, man.
to be fair, I skipped around on the video last night, and even thou I'm not the biggest fan of Asmon, I have to give it to him for playing through all those people just clowning around him and having the patience for it to stream that whole thing for so many hours while still keeping the audience engaged and playing at the same time. I too feel he should at least play the starting parts by himself and then start streaming later on once he actually get comfortable with the game. but in any case, hope he has a good time and in turn show more people that the game is good.
I've never watched the dude before yesterday because I've always heard bad things about him (and the WoW community, as stated above) but he seems fine. His chat is a little unwieldy but it's like 140k people.. of course it's going to be a mess lol

I've heard about how toxic the WoW community can be, but XIV is more strictly moderated so the bad eggs should be weaned out. I doubt said bad eggs would even survive ARR in all honesty lol. And if they pay for a story/level skip, they're probably more inclined to behave as to not throw that money down the drain, right?

Besides, it's not like the XIV community isn't without its bad eggs and toxicity already... the difference is that XIV bad eggs are conniving sociopaths that know how to skirt around the rules. Just look up how bad stalking can get in XIV, for example. Or the brothels... some people are fucking weird in this game, man.

I've never watched the dude before yesterday because I've always heard bad things about him (and the WoW community, as stated above) but he seems fine. His chat is a little unwieldy but it's like 140k people.. of course it's going to be a mess lol

yeah, I think the toxicity in WOW has it's origin from the core design of the game and how it's basic idea is warfare between sides. because of that, the WOW has a worst "community mentality" so to speak. but once in FFXIV, there really is nothing to hide those hate behind, since it's all about playing together here. so at the very least, it's easier to ban them out and stop the spread of the bs. and yes, I agree that gatekeeping people like Asmon is stupid. just let him try the game and be done with it if he doesn't like it. what those people are doing by clowning around him and blocking him just made the FFXIV community look bad.

and I personally never really look into Asmon's stuff before since I don't play WOW. I did hear that he's toxic and stuff but after watching some of his stuff from more recent videos last night, especially when he actually talk to people like Zepla and what not, you can clearly see he's mainly playing up his character of Asmongold for his audience. I don't like that sorta things but it really isn't on him if some folks can't sperate between people being an actual asshole or they're playing it up for show. especially if they're doing it in an entertainment setting.

Valonquar

I've encountered a ton more sprouts in starting cities, and had a lot of them asking lots of questions about how to do certain things in the game like crafting & gathering.So far nothing particularly negative.

It's pretty painful watching Asmon's steam as seeing how easy many players miss critical information due to them spamming through dialog, or not reading a popup. I had a friend that thought only WHM\BLM could teleport or use warp because he used to play FFXI. So he used rental chocobos and airships to travel around all the way to level 50 before I happened to play with him and notice and LMFAO.

It's kinda hilarious when he keeps saying how easy low level content is. Sweet summer child. Also I haven't seen names butchered this much since watching rednecks play Tekken 3 at the arcade back in the day.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

yeah, I think the toxicity in WOW has it's origin from the core design of the game and how it's basic idea is warfare between sides. because of that, the WOW has a worst "community mentality" so to speak.
yep. basically this.

WoW is more about 'destination' or endgame content. it is raid and pvp focused designed system. people end up competing over this.
while FFXIV is more about 'journey'. unlike WoW that focused toward end game content, FFXIV focus on the 'process'(leveling, storyline) toward reaching end game and even the endgame not 100% revolving toward raiding. there is lot of casuals content like crafting, housing etc for those who didnt prefer raid.

Last edited:
Looks like GMs are actually suspending accounts for harrassing Asmon. Don't do it, people. It's not worth losing your account just to see your character on stream

ebcojb36ac971.jpg

Not sure if "on my whale" means the whale mount or his whale account (i.e. spent a ton of money on it).
On second thought, he doesn't have any of the Collector's Editions so he probably meant the whale mount.

Last edited:
was doing the trial roulette on my WAR, got into the Final Steps Of Faith. a spout GNB took the aggro, holding the hate pretty good so I just dps. then when the stack marker came up, the spout DRG jumped away from the group and died from the stack. people got killed that that move but at least we didn't wipe. the next time the stack marker came up, some other spout ran away from the group again. we ended up still clearing it without issue, but it's kinda hilarious how at that level ppl still don't know how to deal with stack markers... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Meicyn

Gold Member
was doing the trial roulette on my WAR, got into the Final Steps Of Faith. a spout GNB took the aggro, holding the hate pretty good so I just dps. then when the stack marker came up, the spout DRG jumped away from the group and died from the stack. people got killed that that move but at least we didn't wipe. the next time the stack marker came up, some other spout ran away from the group again. we ended up still clearing it without issue, but it's kinda hilarious how at that level ppl still don't know how to deal with stack markers... :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Anyone new to the game going through that trial for MSQ will have never seen the stack marker before. It was introduced in Void Ark and Thordan EX, two pieces of optional content. For them, Final Steps is the first time they’ve ever seen it, so most do the expected behavior that most do when there’s something pointed at them in the heat of the moment… run away from the party because most content prior to that moment involves you taking stuff away from the party. It’s a natural reaction!

Earlier content used different markers for stacking. Like in Sohm Al with the lizard that puts a red marker on you when he leaps to the red slimes.

I’m just glad that the team started using universal language going forward. If folks fuck up the stack marker in Stormblood content, yeah, I’m all for laughing at them.

Anyone new to the game going through that trial for MSQ will have never seen the stack marker before. It was introduced in Void Ark and Thordan EX, two pieces of optional content. For them, Final Steps is the first time they’ve ever seen it, so most do the expected behavior that most do when there’s something pointed at them in the heat of the moment… run away from the party because most content prior to that moment involves you taking stuff away from the party. It’s a natural reaction!

Earlier content used different markers for stacking. Like in Sohm Al with the lizard that puts a red marker on you when he leaps to the red slimes.

I’m just glad that the team started using universal language going forward. If folks fuck up the stack marker in Stormblood content, yeah, I’m all for laughing at them.

hmmm, I honestly don't remember but ok, that makes sense then. we still manage to win and nobody was blaming the spouts, so it's all fine. just a funny moment.

Meicyn

Gold Member
hmmm, I honestly don't remember but ok, that makes sense then. we still manage to win and nobody was blaming the spouts, so it's all fine. just a funny moment.
You’re not wrong on that front, to be honest I laugh every time as well because I know sprouts are going to burn, haha. Once they ask what happened, I let ‘em know what to do. Trial by fire!

Last edited:
I’m just glad that the team started using universal language going forward.
I wish they would update old markers into the new ones, to be honest. Like the new Tankbuster visual that debuted with Copied Factory. I still see new tanks get confused over that one the first time they see it and try to run it into the crowd lmao.

But going back to old content and updating markers/mechanics probably means the devs have to extensively bug test everything again so I can see why they choose not to.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I wish they would update old markers into the new ones, to be honest. Like the new Tankbuster visual that debuted with Copied Factory. I still see new tanks get confused over that one the first time they see it and try to run it into the crowd lmao.

But going back to old content and updating markers/mechanics probably means the devs have to extensively bug test everything again so I can see why they choose not to.
Yeah, honestly they should consider it. I think they will someday, they’ve shown a willingness to fix old stuff such as flying in ARR zones, and adding attack markers for Coincounter in Aurum Vale. Unlikely to happen until after Endwalker ships though, I imagine Creative Business Unit 3 is stretched thin working on Endwalker, FFXVI, and still updating FFXI.

Yeah, honestly they should consider it. I think they will someday, they’ve shown a willingness to fix old stuff such as flying in ARR zones, and adding attack markers for Coincounter in Aurum Vale. Unlikely to happen until after Endwalker ships though, I imagine Creative Business Unit 3 is stretched thin working on Endwalker, FFXVI, and still updating FFXI.

is Unit 3 actually working in updating XI? I coulda swear XI was basically being run by the old skeleton crew or something. god I miss XI. honestly in many ways it was actually better than XIV for me, but there's a big "product of it's times" factor in there.

I like the arrow markers they added. The stack marker continues to make sense and it's in a lot of the trials where you can use a trust. Other than that, I have to admit that going through the trials and raids I have no idea what a lot of markers or floor highlights mean. Tethers sometimes mean close the gap and into something or it means run away, but from the rest of the party. It's not completely opaque especially after watching a video but I wish they were more uniformly intuitive.

If there are any new players that need a recruitment code (which earns both the recruiter and recruitee in-game rewards), feel free to use one of mine :)
NG8X8M7V
E476MC2D
5X82P9P4

I find it kinda funny that for the longest time, tanks are always the role that's in short supply, but right now with all the new players, it seems that healers are in demand. was on my WAR waiting for a few of the daily roulette's adventurer in need to turn to tank, and they didn't change from healer at all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom