• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker |OT|

Kumomeme

Oh Kitase was promoted to Brand Manager now that Hashimoto left it huh? That's interesting.

Happy Birthday, Shinji Hashimoto and thank you!
F9sClx7.png
so with Kitase move up into the position of brand manager, it makesense that Hamauguchi becoming a director, as the second top guy after Kitase which is Nomura is now step down from director role and oversee the whole FFVII IP instead. sounds like Nomura is move up to cover Kitase previous position.

YukiOnna

so with Kitase move up into the position of brand manager, it makesense that Hamauguchi becoming a director, as the second top guy after Kitase which is Nomura is now step down from director role and oversee the whole FFVII IP instead. sounds like Nomura is move up to cover Kitase previous position.
Honestly, that also explains the shift in FF series direction? Been lot better with how CEO Matsuda restructured everything couple years back. And yeah, it feels like Nomura will be moving to Producer role eventually and it makes sense.

Kumomeme

Honestly, that also explains the shift in FF series direction? Been lot better with how CEO Matsuda restructured everything couple years back. And yeah, it feels like Nomura will be moving to Producer role eventually and it makes sense.
well senior staff cant hold crucial lower position and held back younger people forever. they eventually move up to senior position fit their experience and age. from what i see senior staff right now is mentoring younger talent. Nomura handed the seat of director to Hamauguchi and serve as creative director, Toriyama also remain as co-director for the young director. it might be just a time for he handed the torch to Tai Yasue too. this is good move. these old guard might held back the title in future if they not preparing for younger generation to take over. i see this move is for longer term prospect of the company. also there is tons of new face in XIV and XVI team.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

well senior staff cant hold crucial lower position and held back younger people forever. they eventually move up to senior position fit their experience and age. from what i see senior staff right now is mentoring younger talent. Nomura handed the seat of director to Hamauguchi and serve as creative director, Toriyama also remain as co-director for the young director. it might be just a time for he handed the torch to Tai Yasue too. this is good move. these old guard might held back the title in future if they not preparing for younger generation to take over. i see this move is for longer term prospect of the company. also there is tons of new face in XIV and XVI team.
Not to mention, it fits them to have a more broad role. Kitase being FF Brand Manager allows him to manage the IP's and maintain quality on a grander scale and let the youth talent develop. Nomura as well of course with his Co-Director structuring.

YukiOnna

Huh so Banri Oda and Nacchan's titles both changed to Main Scenario Designer even though the job is the same.

Ishikawa says that Endwalker is not only the finale of this story arc, but a farewell to some of the characters you go to know along the way. So be sure to see them off one last time. They also recommend doing the Binding Coil and Omega Raid before playing Endwalker.

concert was fire and the involvement of the dev team is so... organic and natural I just LOVE it. when Twinning started I have to try so hard to hold my laugh since it's middle of the night here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit: oh shit Soken had cancer!?

more edit: ok, it's in remission. god the way this dev team reacts to this really makes you love them as a whole. Yoshi-P and everyone else are tearing up and all the comments in the chat is just amazing. shit man, it's almost 5am and I'm tearing up sitting here watching a stream, what the hell man :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Kumomeme

damn we almost lost Soken

at end of festival it is revealed that last year Soken spend 7-8 month at hospital due to cancer. he even compose to To The Edge at hospital. most of people in devs team dont know about it. even Natsuko Ishikawa very suprised about it. Naoki Yoshida end up crying.

Last edited:
I'm glad Soken was able to beat it and is still with us. I hope YouTubers will be respectful and not rush to make monetized (10+ minutes) "SOKEN HAD CANCER" videos.

Oh...
D55pqLy.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again: YouTubers are parasites

tbf, some of those surely are respectful ones with a good message.

YukiOnna

Day 1 Fan Fes Interview with GAME Watch summarized on the FFXIV Discord by user Miuna:

The new Job, Reaper
  • While attacking on your own in melee distance, you accumulate some sort of gauge that will allow you to fight together with the Avatar. A design focused on building up hype during the battle
  • We have a lot of members in our team that came from FF11, so obviously there are things we need to keep in mind and respect when it comes to a Scythe, but if we were to implement it half-hearted it would be disappointing so there are things were we completely went to an original direction
  • I can't really comment on whether the WoL gets possessed by the Avatar, because if I say something now and we decide to change it till the release, people will complain
  • Basically, keep attacking to build gauge, when that hits max you decide yourself where to bring in the Avatar
  • Reaper is NOT a pet job and is different from SMN and MCH
  • Whether it is a pure or synergy DPS is something we keep a secret for now
  • Reapers have 1 sort of Avatar

About Male Viera
  • Male Viera are an original creation of the FF14 team
  • We based a lot lot lot of artwork on Female Viera and paid attention to running Male Viera alongside that concept, but also kept in mind to differentiate them from Male Miqo'te
  • We WILL introduce Female Hrothgar at some point
  • Male Viera are rare, but I don't want to say they will never appear as NPCs, but if they do we will make sure it fits the setting, but there is no village/town with a huge Male Viera population

About the 6.0 Story
  • As an Expansion Endwalker will have the most voice/cutscenes yet
  • Since it is kind of a conclusion, all different kinds of NPCs will appear
  • But, just because it is a conclusion, doesn't mean we forcefully integrated every NPC
  • Vr(i)tra will play a key role during the story, but it will be difficult to predict in what form that might be
  • 6.x will be a completely new story and the main character will be, of course, you, the WoL
  • We have a concept on how to continue in 6.1, an idea of who will be travelling alongside the WoL, but it will be depending a little on the excitement and mood built during Endwalker

Island Sanctuary
  • Island Sanctuary will be content you can enjoy without Gathering or Crafting
  • But, Gathering or Crafting might give you a few benefits
  • We are heavily limiting the competition features in this content and really put the focus on making it something you can enjoy at your own pace, doing your own things and finding your own satisfaction

Fan Fes Concluding Message from Yoshi-P!
KwMbaaD.png

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Yeah it was amazing to see it live and a meme enter legendary status. Seeing them bring up Yoshi-P for the Titans theme to do the rap part and then kick him off, too.

in memory of the legendary Miura sensi. (and it's always nice to see that some folks are giving out the campfire minion or crafting it for free for people instead of jacking up the price on marketboard.)

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Western media blowout with a lot of information. It's a lot so I'm just going to link it all here:
(French): https://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1411...eur-star-du-mmorpg-repond-a-nos-questions.htm
Summary of jeuxvideo Interview:
- Stormblood will probably be added to Free Trial at some point
- “End of the World” & “World’s End” were potential candidates for the English expansion name
- In regards to Graphics Engine rewrite, they're looking into it but nothing set in stone. However, after the release of EW, they have something in the works that'll make the players quite happy. He can't elaborate anymore on it
- No reset is planned for 6.x, no one is losing their memories, you're not starting over. Everything for the next story is built on what came prior and it'll be like ARR where it's building to a new tale. We can go to other locations not fully explored, new continents, the past, the future, other realms. Lot to do.
- Thinking about 3 years ahead and has a general idea about where XIV will be going. Has a vision with FFXIV and he will take it as far as he can.

Last edited:
That Fanbyte question regarding Yshtola's skin color is a bit much. I'm glad Yoshi-P kept his cool and was able to explain to the interviewer how tans work, but I really wish "journalists" would stop trying to be so accusatory with such questions. It isn't the first time a Western journalist has tried to "gotcha" Yoshida with some accusation/question related to gender/race.

Also, I'm glad he finally said it once and for all:
"This is a video game. And so I think the biggest purpose of it is to enjoy and have fun within this realm. And with Final Fantasy XIV, my hope for the players is that they’re not sort of bound by real life situations or stipulations."

ANYWAY, I'm looking forward to Zadnor tomorrow. The first 24 hours of Bozja was a beautiful disaster of death and destruction, and I can't wait to see the devastation once again on a new battlefield. Should be fun!

YukiOnna

That Fanbyte question regarding Yshtola's skin color is a bit much. I'm glad Yoshi-P kept his cool and was able to explain to the interviewer how tans work, but I really wish "journalists" would stop trying to be so accusatory with such questions. It isn't the first time a Western journalist has tried to "gotcha" Yoshida with some accusation/question related to gender/race.

Also, I'm glad he finally said it once and for all:
"This is a video game. And so I think the biggest purpose of it is to enjoy and have fun within this realm. And with Final Fantasy XIV, my hope for the players is that they’re not sort of bound by real life situations or stipulations."

ANYWAY, I'm looking forward to Zadnor tomorrow. The first 24 hours of Bozja was a beautiful disaster of death and destruction, and I can't wait to see the devastation once again on a new battlefield. Should be fun!
Thankfully, I've seen a lot of people give that one a strange look and feel they went too far. At the very least, Yoshi-P is skilled in answering questions.

YukiOnna

What was the question?
Just taking it from the article:
As a journalist, one of the many things I appreciate about Yoshida is his thoughtfulness when answering questions, even if they’re difficult. One such question I’ve had for a long time is about Y’shtola’s skin color. Over time, community members, particularly in the west, have noticed that Y’shtola’s skin color has become lighter as the expansions have progressed. It’s an observation that has caused concern and hurt among some players. As one of those players, I asked Yoshida for his input.

What was the question?
The interviewer didn't quote any of their actual questions, conveniently. So we can't see how accusatory in tone she actually was, but judging from the fact that it took 20 minutes to answer and some of the answer has bits like this:

At the same time, I wanted to be conscious of cultural differences, so I tell him I understand racism and colorism are handled differently in Japan than North America or Europe. Yoshida respectfully disagrees, believing that might be a preconceived notion. “You and I are the same,” he tells me. “We’re people of color, as well.”

..it tells me that she may not have been the most tactful or respectful with that particular question.

YukiOnna

That part infuriated me. Why are they treating a Japanese/Asian differently in this case or under the assumption that it's handled differently?

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I might have asked before, but is Bozja as solo friendly as current Eureka? or is it a different kind of set-up?

I might have asked before, but is Bozja as solo friendly as current Eureka? or is it a different kind of set-up?
It's very solo friendly due to the Lost Actions you can get in there (similar to Eureka Logograms) but for ranking up it's best to group up for FATE grinding so you get full credit. But once you're max rank then you can solo to your heart's content, even for Castrum. Only time I group up is for farming items (clusters, fragments) because it's more efficient.

YukiOnna

It's very solo friendly due to the Lost Actions you can get in there (similar to Eureka Logograms) but for ranking up it's best to group up for FATE grinding so you get full credit. But once you're max rank then you can solo to your heart's content, even for Castrum. Only time I group up is for farming items (clusters, fragments) because it's more efficient.
Nice. How hard is it to get a party going by the way?

Nice. How hard is it to get a party going by the way?
It's easy. Just like Eureka, just shout that you're new and looking for a FATE party and someone should invite you. If not, just start plugging away at them yourself until a Critical Engagement starts (they're basically mini-boss battles - very fun!) and join it through the menu. In the CE, people always group up so just ask for an invite (several times if needed), or take the initiative and start one yourself with all the people asking for a party.
In my experience, most CE parties stick around together but some fall apart immediately after a CE. No big deal, just do it again for the next one. :) Groups are very fluid in Bozja.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember that happening to me in Stormblood when the Ivalice raids started. Had to gear up first and then join the fun lol. At least you can run dungeons with Trusts at 80, so that should make gearing up a little easier since you can basically afk Trust dungeons lmao

Anyway, since Zenos' Scythe is now in the game files, I went ahead and did a little model swapping...
PjqKV1V.jpg

...that's a big ass scythe.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Yeah I remember that happening to me in Stormblood when the Ivalice raids started. Had to gear up first and then join the fun lol. At least you can run dungeons with Trusts at 80, so that should make gearing up a little easier since you can basically afk Trust dungeons lmao

Anyway, since Zenos' Scythe is now in the game files, I went ahead and did a little model swapping...
PjqKV1V.jpg

...that's a big ass scythe.
hyphen.jpg

YukiOnna

German Interview with Yoshi-P summary posted on the Discord. As always credit to Miuna. Lot of information was repeat, but some of new details made me laugh:

Reaper:
Playstyle:

- We're still in development so nothing is fully set in stone
- To put it simple, Reaper actions can be divided into three categories. Solo actions, actions executed by the Avatar and finally, combined actions with both the player and the Avatar
- Going through your rotation will accumulate some sort of gauge or stacks (can't go into detail yet), that will allow you to use a strong combination action with your Avatar

Design choices and background:
- Always had a lot of feedback from players who asked for a scythe, so our design process started with the weapon this new job was going to use - Heavy weapons tend to give the image of a slow hard hitting play style, but that is not the case within Final Fantasy. Most attacks will be stylish and quick
- We had a reaper as you would see them on tarot cards in mind when thinking of the job concept, but also knew we wanted the Avatar to play an important role
- If you want to think of it from a manga/anime perspective, Yagami Light from Death Note would be a suitable figure to compare it to
- A normal person, Yagami Light or in our case, you, the player, enters a sort of contract with the devil, Ryuk in Death Note, or the Avatar in our case that will create a very strong being in the end
- Bleach, a very popular manga in Japan, has also influenced us. But as always, we are giving it our own spin and flair

Yoshi-P the weeb.

Q: A lot of players enjoy making new characters, but get scared of having to redo everything. Are there any plans to make Achievements, Minions and Mounts or even Glams account wide?
Short A: No
Longer A: There is NewGame+ if you want to play the story again, there are Fantasia if you want to change your looks and if you want to make a new char for RP get a level boost on the Mogstation

Q: In previous expansions the new areas were always geographically close. This time they seem to be a lot more spread and we're even going to the moon. Do you think the playing experience might suffer if the new maps aren't as tied to each other as before?

A: No, I don't think it will lead to a bad experience. All areas will be connected in some way or another. For example, if we wanted to go to Old Sharlayan, we will be going through Limsa Lominsa. Same for the new area Radz-at-Han. Even in SB, the WoL had to travel far East. There were dungeons on the way and other encounters, but it ultimately helped the WoL get used to the new region. It will be similar in EW. We're going to the moon after all, I just can't tell you the "how" yet.

Q: The Digital Fan Fest was a great event and the fans were really excited, but it was a different experience than being there in person. What did you personally miss the most, especially when it comes to the interaction with fans?

A: Sadly, there was no other way because of the Pandemic. If the event was in person, I could have left the stage between segments, taken photos with fans, signing autographs or just listen to their feedback about the game. When I had the audience in front of me at past Fan Festivals I was always able to see how they react to the things I said, this was obviously difficult this time. I was able to read comments, but I couldn't see the expressions fans were making, whether they'd be angry or annoyed or happy at what I was announcing.

Q: You announced that Male Viera will be added in 6.0. A lot of players are still waiting for additional hairstyles or the option to wear hats on Viera or Hrothgar, are these being worked on and potentially introduced with the addition of Male Viera?

Short A: Not yet
Long A: First off, the reason why Viera and Hrothgar can't wear hats right now is the following. We have very standardized specifications when it comes to head gear and the unique design with the long ears on Viera doesn't always meet these specifications. If we allowed every head gear piece, it would lead to clipping or other errors. The unique design of Viera and Hrothgar just prevents us from allowing these pieces, if we want to follow our specifications. Nevertheless, we are aware of player feedback and we are definitely not the kind of dev team that ignores their players feedback. There were a few things we said would be impossible to do, but we worked hard on it and made it possible in the end. We have regular meetings, I was in one just yesterday and we're planning on having another one this upcoming week, where we discuss how to lower development costs or which options we have to add more hairstyles. The players can be assured that we are aware and are thinking about this, but I am asking for a bit more patience and that you wait a little longer. I hope to have some good news soon.

Ishgard Housing:
Q: Ishgard housing will be available in 6.1. Why do we have to wait until 6.1 when the restoration was such a big thing in ShB?

A: It's not that simple. We created a lot of Graphics for housing in ARR and they all need to be adjusted. This takes time. We had to wait for expansion development to be able to add enough members to the team who are working on the graphics specifically. There also is the physical issue of adding the housing servers which are different from the gaming servers.

Players might ask why we aren't getting the new housing in 6.0, but we want players to enjoy the new content, story, the new jobs. We could open the areas in 6.0, but we feel like that would be too much of a distraction and we want the players to enjoy EW. The people in Ishgard want to thank the WoLs for helping with the restoration and are building a new housing area for you, but even those guys need to sleep and eat so they are taking a good amount of time to finish their work.

Q: You announced that Male Viera will be added in 6.0. A lot of players are still waiting for additional hairstyles or the option to wear hats on Viera or Hrothgar, are these being worked on and potentially introduced with the addition of Male Viera?

Short A: Not yet
Long A: First off, the reason why Viera and Hrothgar can't wear hats right now is the following. We have very standardized specifications when it comes to head gear and the unique design with the long ears on Viera doesn't always meet these specifications. If we allowed every head gear piece, it would lead to clipping or other errors. The unique design of Viera and Hrothgar just prevents us from allowing these pieces, if we want to follow our specifications. Nevertheless, we are aware of player feedback and we are definitely not the kind of dev team that ignores their players feedback. There were a few things we said would be impossible to do, but we worked hard on it and made it possible in the end. We have regular meetings, I was in one just yesterday and we're planning on having another one this upcoming week, where we discuss how to lower development costs or which options we have to add more hairstyles. The players can be assured that we are aware and are thinking about this, but I am asking for a bit more patience and that you wait a little longer. I hope to have some good news soon.
Finally someone asks the question I've been waiting for. It's not the answer I want, but at least I know not to expect it by Endwalker.

Meanwhile, modders be like:
un9iooqsenh61.png

You forgot about the best 5.55 mount:
hSrD2Wy.png

This little guy has special significance because it was the first non-Chocobo mount available in FFXI. Now there's only a handful of XI mounts that are still missing from XIV. Excluding XI-exclusive concepts like the Orc Warmachine, the only ones that are missing off the top of my head are Crawler, Xzomit, Hippogryph, Beetle, Magic Pot, and Wivre (though the Triceratops is very similar).

Edit: I forgot to mention that unlike the Triad Card and Fran's bike, you can buy the Deinonychus mount on the marketboard, but it's an extremely rare drop so expect to pay quite a lot. Now that I think of it, the best time to buy it is probably within the next two weeks because as 5.55 resubs lapse, Dalriada runs will become less common so there will be fewer whistles in circulation.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Full interview w/ Famitsu at Fan Fest 2021 translated if anyone is interested. It was summarized before, but lot of little details here and there and on the direction of the game. Stuff like how Reaper's Avatar infusion differs in visual between races, more original Jobs going forward, the First Brood, 6.1, and more.

zRAywWn.png

He keeps talking about how 6.1 will be a new story, but I wonder if that means it will also double as a new starting point for new players. Square Enix NA recently started doing promoted streams on Twitch, but I still see most of the promoted streamers dropping the game after the promo streams are over. The ARR "rework" didn't do enough to enhance the new player experience IMO, and also cut out some great world-building quests.

But then again, a new starting point would drastically cut into MogStation Level Boost and Story Skip profits, so perhaps not.

YukiOnna

I'm surprised they didn't cut out the Company of Heroes crap, but instead quests like that. I think they need another rework or definitely work as an alternative starting point. Maybe both options can co-exist. I guess, in the end, they have the data to know if majority of players are sticking through with it or not.

Side note. I finally caught up in money (thank you Diadem) and got my gear up enough to do Pathl'gan. Really enjoyed it. I've found the dungeons of 5.x to be hit or miss and they've been missing something for me in their design so it was nice to have a dungeon like Ghimlyt or Mt Gulg. Looking forward to the solo duty.

YukiOnna

At last finished the last piece of main story content. That solo duty was awesome! The final cutscenes weren't as directly tied to the next expansion as they usually are, but that gave it a different tone and sense of finality coming. Also, really enjoyed the full on Bloodborne vibes from Zenos and Fandaniel's final scene. Yoshi-P definitely made that one intentional huh? I hope that stamps out any notion that there will be a redemption arc cause I don't want one!

I'll finish up Eden and do Bozja next.

just recently those 40 youtubers musician put FFXIV medley as tribute for Soken

Happy it got recognized and had such a nice reaction.

Last edited:
I guess it's because a mix of Fan Fest, the free trial and the sale lately, but I see a lot of new to XIV videos on Youtube lately. a lot of which of course are WOW vets moving over. just something interesting to see.

I guess it's because a mix of Fan Fest, the free trial and the sale lately, but I see a lot of new to XIV videos on Youtube lately. a lot of which of course are WOW vets moving over. just something interesting to see.
The trial and sales always help, but I think the recent upsurge is a result of two things:
1. SE NA has renewed their promotional efforts on Twitch (and maybe YT?) with the game (as opposed to SE EU who never stopped)
2. It seems WoW is undergoing another exodus after players are done with Classic Burning Crusade and sick with retail

I fantasia'd to Femroe from Viera and I noticed my hands don't grab the handles of this mount anymore (like yours do). The plight of max height Femroes...

Last edited:
It's probably just an oversight considering Femroes are the least played race according to censuses from the past few years. I also noticed in the character creation that the beauty mark option is bugged and doesn't show, which led me to a bug report from 3 years ago. Priorities, I guess lol

mFKegsw.jpg

Literally unplayable /s

Also the front of the bike looks like a face

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Decided I’m out, and canceled my sub a few months back, but just realized Now I could probably sell my Legacy account.

Anyone experience selling an account with any advice on reputable places to sell it?

Decided I’m out, and canceled my sub a few months back, but just realized Now I could probably sell my Legacy account.

Anyone experience selling an account with any advice on reputable places to sell it?
You'd probably have to sell on one of those shady sites where people sell content clears and gold. I say "shady" because they seem that way - not that I have any experience with them. The only experience with account selling I have is on eBay (sold my LOTRO account), but they've cracked down on account selling from what I heard.

Having said all that, a FFXIV Legacy account is quite valuable to some people so I'm sure you'd get a pretty penny out of it. Good luck!

Top Bottom