• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Looks like they're fixing the ridiculous high level enemy evasion. This should make Reisenjima much more friendly to people just trying to do the story.

Decided to start a new character in the end.

Levelling now is pretty nuts and trusts are cool as hell. RoE is really nice to have, just activate a bunch of them and start playing.

Man, I really missed this game and I'm excited to see more of the story than I did previously. Still the best MMO ever.

I don't have the numbers next to items in my inventory so I don't know how many of a stackable item I have :(

Can't find anyone else with a similar problem, any ideas?

ZetaEpyon

I don't have the numbers next to items in my inventory so I don't know how many of a stackable item I have :(

Can't find anyone else with a similar problem, any ideas?

They changed the way that's displayed some time ago - the number is now directly on the icon for the item, not over on the right side of the text.

No problem - it was definitely an adjustment for a lot of us when they did that!

What server did you end up making your character on? If Sylph, what's your character name?

Yeah my other character was on Sylph so I stuck there. Decided not to delete him and just get another slot.

Name is Citanoolab.

Zetta

Man. BLU spell farming is sooooo slow... Still a quite few more I need to get.

Awww man I remember those days and how I missed them. I loved farming those spells and getting them was like the best feeling. I remember it took me hours to get Cannonball from those damn Wamouras. I just enjoyed the self improvement in this game, I would spend hours upon hours just skilling up whenever I wouldn't cap during a party.

Started doing some job quests, not sure what to stick with... Levelling DNC for subjob but undecided on if I should take SAM or BLU to 99 first.

Loona

Started doing some job quests, not sure what to stick with... Levelling DNC for subjob but undecided on if I should take SAM or BLU to 99 first.

BLU is great if you want a good excuse to explore as much of the world as possible in order to get your spells - SAM requires comparatively less preparation to reach its full potential as you level.

Awww man I remember those days and how I missed them. I loved farming those spells and getting them was like the best feeling. I remember it took me hours to get Cannonball from those damn Wamouras. I just enjoyed the self improvement in this game, I would spend hours upon hours just skilling up whenever I wouldn't cap during a party.

Heh. It took me 3 hours to learn sprout smack. Although, I should've moved on . Now I gotta wait for japenese midnight for the last 2 pieces of AF gear. Each -.-

Then I gotta farm the other half of the spells I don't have @ 61... Although, I'm sure most are useless, so I might just get jet stream and refueling and call it a day until later.

Luckily, ff12 came in today, but man, does it look like shit now. Still got 6 hours on it today.

Loona

IIRC a recent update did away with the wholy day waits for ToAU AF pieces, I think I even updated the BG wiki accordingly then - the Wikia version might not have bothered yet though.

Heh. It took me 3 hours to learn sprout smack. Although, I should've moved on . Now I gotta wait for japenese midnight for the last 2 pieces of AF gear. Each -.-

Then I gotta farm the other half of the spells I don't have @ 61... Although, I'm sure most are useless, so I might just get jet stream and refueling and call it a day until later.

Luckily, ff12 came in today, but man, does it look like shit now. Still got 6 hours on it today.

Apparently using the moogle trust greatly increases your learn rate. Try it if you can.

AwShucks

Hoping to start tonight, assuming I can download/update/etc everything.

Edit: continuing with my FFXIV luck, I start my sub tonight and it's maintenance night.

Taruranto

Taruranto

Alright, finished setting up the macros for /RDM and I'm back.

Probably should use these 10 days to get at least Lastok Rank 10. Need to work on my own DT set as well, it sorely lacking. I'd also like to get Isabelt and the Enchanter Torque, but I don't think it's ever happening. :X

Does anyone have a lit of the new quests they added, by the way?

Loona

Does anyone have a lit of the new quests they added, by the way?

The last set IIRC is called The Ygnas Directive, apparently is activated through Records of Eminence, and has as a prerequisite to complete all Adoulin missions, quests and coalition tasks. I think there's also something specific to the Mog Garden involving raising creatures there, but I haven't advanced that far in that to be sure - update pages on the BG wiki should have those listed though.

sviri

If I played this now all these years later, how close to the original experience would I be receiving? I've played all the mainline american releases. I cherish the memories of playing 6-10 and 12 as a child.

Loona

If I played this now all these years later, how close to the original experience would I be receiving? I've played all the mainline american releases. I cherish the memories of playing 6-10 and 12 as a child.

Less time spent trying to get into EXP parties (way less common nowadays), EXPing or travelling (those things are way faster now), and a greater proportion of the time actually playing through the stories, that would be my estimate.

Taruranto

LCodish.jpg

ONE THE VERY FIRST TRY
for this piece

Also I got a new puppy.

Taruranto

GEO PDT.

Can't get to the cap without Isabelt, so I have to use that. Once I'll slap a Pet Regen on it, it will work like an Azimuth Hood (But better), and I'll be able to use Ambu's cape with Pet Regen +10 on it.

Taruranto

Free Week is already over, dang. :(

Didn't manage to hit Rank 10 with Windy, I planned to do it today lol...

I really enjoyed this week, made tons of progresses, managed to make a pretty good Pet DT set for my GEO (DT Capped and +21 Regen), cleared the two Delve I still needed, and did some random stuff like WoE and Escha AA and Sky Gods.

Started to gear up my SMN again, I'm not really into it like I was in the beginning, I really don't like how expendable the Avatar feels. :S And it REALLY needs tons of good equip to make decent BP damage.

Fox the Sly

I can't find an updated answer to this. Can trusts be summoned in KSNM 99s? I know black belt isn't in style anymore except for -PDT sets, but I never got one during the golden era cause I could never seem to get a damned wyrm beard.

Parshias7

I can't find an updated answer to this. Can trusts be summoned in KSNM 99s? I know black belt isn't in style anymore except for -PDT sets, but I never got one during the golden era cause I could never seem to get a damned wyrm beard.

I don't think trusts can be used in any of the old BCs, unless you're using the newer Sacred Crest battlefields.

But if the KSNM99s are uncapped then you probably don't even need trusts.

Fox the Sly

I don't think trusts can be used in any of the old BCs, unless you're using the newer Sacred Crest battlefields.

But if the KSNM99s are uncapped then you probably don't even need trusts.

Yeah, I decided to waste a themis orb and see for myself. Was doing fine on NIN until the wyrm flew and couldn't get tp to heal myself and didn't bring meds or reraise. I think I'll try again when I get BLM to 99. Thanks.

Loona

Any idea why they're giving black magic as login rewards this month?

I guess because most of those are quest rewards, some people would rather rush to the level cap while buying the scrolls in the AH, and due to that some of them probably cost quite a bit on the AH?

Einhander

In light of the recent news that Steam will be implementing native DualShock 4 support this month, I was curious if FFXI has DS4 support without having to use any third party programs? I know some Steam games like Trails in the Sky FC+SC are DS4-compatible.

In light of the recent news that Steam will be implementing native DualShock 4 support this month, I was curious if FFXI has DS4 support without having to use any third party programs? I know some Steam games like Trails in the Sky FC+SC are DS4-compatible.
FFXI works fine with a DS4, just open up the controller config and set the buttons.

ZetaEpyon

Taruranto

Yeah, you need an active account. Didn't notice Free Login campaign will be active in the same period.

I dunno what to do, I kinda want to move to Asura, but I just don't play FFXI the same way I did before, I basically only play on through Free Login campaigns.

ZetaEpyon

promos.png

Announcing Dual Campaigns: the Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign and the Discount Campaign! (11/04/2016)

15182.jpg

In celebration, we're holding two campaigns simultaneously -- the Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign and the Discount Campaign -- so that you can enjoy the world of Vana'diel together with many of your adventurer compatriots!

Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign

Friday, November 11, 2016 at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Monday, November 21 at the same hour.

Read on for details.

Discount Campaign

Friday, November 11, 2016 at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Monday, November 21 at the same hour.

• Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition
    67% Discount - $9.99 (normally $29.99)
  • "Seekers of Adoulin" Expansion Pack
    50% Discount - $4.99 (normally $9.99)
  • World Transfer Service
    50% Discount - $9.00 (normally $18.00)
Read on for details.
divider.png

Announcing the XI Day Campaign! (11/02/2016)

15179.jpg

In celebration of XI Day, adventurers who log in during the duration of the XI Day Campaign will receive a special in-game item!

• Event Period
    Friday, November 11 at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Monday, November 21 at 6:59 a.m.
  • Special Gift
    Characters who log in during the campaign period will receive a silver mog pell, which can be traded for a wide variety of special items. This item will be automatically placed in your inventory, so be sure to make some room.
    * Characters are only eligible for one pell during this campaign.
  • Items Available for Exchange
    Trade your silver mog pell to a festive moogle to receive one of the following items.
    * Only characters for whom 14 days or more have elapsed since character creation are eligible to exchange pells for items.
    * Festival moogles can be found in the following locations.
    Port San d'Oria (J-9) / Windurst Walls (C-14) / Port Bastok (J-13)

60 Beastmen's Seals / 60 Kindred's Seals / 60 Kindred's Crests / 60 High Kindred's Crests / 60 Sacred Kindred's Crests

Rolanberry Delightaru / Harvest Pastry / Cherry Tree / Far East Hearth / Pot of Wards / White Clematis / Pink Clematis / Birch Tree

Cichol's Mantle / Segomo's Mantle / Alaunus's Cape / Taranus's Cape / Sucellos's Cape / Toutatis's Cape / Rudianos's Mantle / Ankou's Mantle / Artio's Mantle / Intarabus's Cape / Belenus's Cape / Smertrios's Mantle / Andartia's Mantle / Brigantia's Mantle / Camprestres's Cape / Rosmerta's Cape / Camulus's Mantle / Visucius's Mantle / Senuna's Mantle / Legh's Cape / Nantosuelta's Cape / Ogma's Cape

10 Abdhaljs Thread / 10 Abdhaljs Dust / 5 Abdhaljs Sap / 3 Abdhaljs Dye / 2 Abdhaljs Seals / 1 Abdhaljs Needles

Ambuscade Voucher: Head / Ambuscade Voucher: Body / Ambuscade Voucher: Hands / Ambuscade Voucher: Legs / Ambuscade Voucher: Feet
divider.png

Announcing the Jingle Baaas Anniversary Event (11/01/2016)

15176.jpg

Celebrate XI Day with a new anniversary event, Jingle Baaas, starting on 11/11!

This event features a reward fashioned by the famed Chacharoon and a variety of other items.

Event period: Friday, November 11 at 12:00 a.m. (PST) to Wednesday, November 30 at 6:59 a.m.

Read on for details.

mandies.png

saher

Banned
Nice am definitely going to login to check all the new stuff, it seems like they are adjusting SMN with each update.

Loona

Roughly related, but the Japanese version of FF Brave Exvius recently added a few new XI characters to its cast, and its quite a range of notoriety considering the only rep so far was Shantotto:
* Prishe - kinda expected, considering Dissidia Duodecim
* Kupipi - odd since it's not one of the mission girls that Theathrythm or Pictoligica have covered, but it's a character whom you meet in the main nation missions and has a Trust alter ego
* Werei - very very unexpected, since the character is more referenced (mostly in Bastok missions, and as someone who was a mentor and friend to other characters that haven't really been covered outside XI itself) than actually met... Would have never crossed my mind, but might make a lot more atypical choices comparatively viable; regardless, whomever chose him must have actually played XI for a while...

Loona

There are also a bunch of campaigns currently in effect, like extra exp/job points, reward from high-tier battles, a special moogle event that lets you earn a moogle mount, Mog Bonanza has also returned and you can get a mask that not only should be familiar to those who played through Rhapsodies, it can be used in synergy crafting to make a +1 version that can send you to the Reisenjima Sanctorum entrance.

There'a also going to be an official live stream, which is probably triggered by one of the newer community reps, Sicycre (Dancing_Fighter on Twitter), has something of a streaming history. May have triggered the creation of the official FFXI Twitch channel, since the Youtube one is mostly run by the Japanese side of the company.
This streaming stuff always feels kinda pointless to me, being in Europe and therefore the "wrong" time zone, but if it works out more more people, all the better.

Taruranto

Ok, I need help with Gearswap and I don't know who to ask to:

-- Setup vars that are user-dependent. Can override this function in a sidecar file.
function user_setup()
state.OffenseMode:eek:ptions('None', 'Normal')
state.CastingMode:eek:ptions('Normal', 'Resistant')
state.IdleMode:eek:ptions('Normal', 'PDT')

I want to add a third Casting Mode speficially for MB, but I don't know how to do it.

Writing
state.CastingMode:eek:ptions('Normal', 'Resistant', 'MB', )

Just gives me an error? Can some tell me where am i suppose to look?

ZetaEpyon

Ok, I need help with Gearswap and I don't know who to ask to:

I want to add a third Casting Mode speficially for MB, but I don't know how to do it.

Writing

Just gives me an error? Can some tell me where am i suppose to look?

Get rid of the extra comma.

Code:
state.CastingMode:options('Normal', 'Resistant', 'MB')

Top Bottom