• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X series shipments and digital sales top 20.8 million

Go_Ly_Dow

Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for the Final Fantasy X series, which includes Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2, have surpassed 20.8 million units as of September 2021, Square Enix confirmed to Gematsu.

FFX taking on VII for the highest selling FF crown. I wonder if we'll see X-3 or a remake this generation.

Kagey K

Banned
It's only been 20 years and a billion shitty ports.

No wonder Square gave up at some point, if some game fails, they can just re-release an old FF to make that money back.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Jeeeeeeeez that's double what I ever expected.

Even with all the shitty ports, who keeps buying this? Figured the market was fairly niche for the last 15 years or so. Hopefully they didn't just discover weebs will keep buying the same game they never play but on nearly every platform it's ported to. Like collecting Pokemon. Gotta catch em all!

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Holy crap!More than 20 million units?!?!?

Sure, its been 20 or so years, but still. We all knew that FF X was the best FF, but this still blows my mind.

"But JRPGs don't sell outside of Japan!!!"

Lol. People will never learn.

Really wished that Square made a mainline turn based FF again.

GymWolf

It's the best FF. Don't @ me.
tidus-laugh.gif

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Currently on a slow and steady mission to play through FF 6-10 for the first time, pretty much exactly halfway right now. This one intrigues me more than most as I always saw used copies in my local game shop as kid, thought it looked really cool, but just didn't understand JRPGs past Pokémon at the time.

Go_Ly_Dow

Proper FFX Remake please. Give it the same articistic love you've given FFVIIR.

One game only, a few expanded locales, such as a longer intro with more explorable Zanarkand at the beginning, Luca and Bevelle. Combat a bit like FF7R, but a bit slower paced. The FFVIIR team is the FFX team, so makes sense to move over a portion of them over to remaking the game after Rebirth is out. Let the other teams like Yoshida's handle new numbered entries, given the FFVII/X old timers have had their time in the sun.

tumblr_oqbe162Zhe1w5j5w8o2_1280.jpg

Imagine an RPG without stupid anime tropes and cringe characters, great story, world building, soundtrack and turn based combat.

Ok, dont imagine. Its FF X and its one of the best games ever made.
It's my favourite JRPG and FF game.... But come on dude.... The game has anime tropes, and some cringe characters.

I've always thought though that it has a good story and would make a great big budget western movie.

Kev Kev

One game only, a few expanded locales, such as a longer intro with more explorable Zanarkand at the beginning, Luca and Bevelle. Combat a bit like FF7R, but a bit slower paced. The FFVIIR team is the FFX team, so makes sense to move over a portion of them over to remaking the game after Rebirth is out. Let the other teams like Yoshida's handle new numbered entries, given the FFVII/X old timers have had their time in the sun.

i think a broska, auron and jecht game would be better. you could visit most/all of the same areas, it would allow the devs plenty of creative freedom, and you could create/change any of the systems you want including the battle system, all without ruffling any feathers.

those three characters and their journey always seemed more interesting to me, and people have been asking for a prequel for years.

No. I don’t want CBU3 to do all the mainline games. CBU1 tends to come up with, IMO, the most aesthetically pleasing settings. And I like how CBU1 isn’t allergic to CG cutscenes.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
i think a broska, auron and jecht game would be better. you could visit most/all of the same areas, it would allow the devs plenty of creative freedom, and you could create/change any of the systems you want including the battle system, all without ruffling any feathers.

those three characters and their journey always seemed more interesting to me, and people have been asking for a prequel for years.
The problem would be that we would already know most of the story. And story is a big part of FF.

And that's the problem with prequels. Trying to make a known story interesting.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I bought like 7 versions of those games:

PS2
PS2 JP International
PS3 FFX|X-2
PSVita Asian FFX
PSVita Asian FFX-2 (sold this copy)
PSVita Asian FFX-2
PS4 FFX|X-2

Last edited:

Vandole

I remember playing it when it first came out and thinking to myself, "when do we get to the point where the game opens up and I get to explore the world? This is taking even longer than it did in Final Fantasy 7."

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Currently on a slow and steady mission to play through FF 6-10 for the first time, pretty much exactly halfway right now. This one intrigues me more than most as I always saw used copies in my local game shop as kid, thought it looked really cool, but just didn't understand JRPGs past Pokémon at the time.
FFX has some of the best cover art of all time. I remember picking it up from the store and staring at the box.

e2970513-e9b7-4dfc-8557-31188ac2b492_1.5539b6ce22feb23964569d1045262eaf.jpeg

Mitsurux

I would like to see where this sits when compared with other games in the series sales wise. But regardless great games. (I've bought them each 3 times. Ps2, ps3 and switch)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
FFX has some of the best cover art of all time. I remember picking it up from the store and staring at the box.

UK here so ours was this very tasteful design:

458799-final-fantasy-x-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

I hadn't seen physical copies of 8 or 9 at that point which were very similar, I just thought it was so intriguing. But again at the time, didn't have a clue what I was doing with games outside my regular favourites, so never touched it.

No wonder Square gave up at some point, if some game fails, they can just re-release an old FF to make that money back.

I mean you aren't even lying though.

I'm sure if they could get away with it we'd have 3 ports of XIII series by now, and a remaster.

Last edited:
X is great

X-2, and everything it represents (a cheapish cashgrab), is not. It was the beginning of Final Fantasy's downfall, and directly led to the Compilation of FF7, which is quite possibly the worst thing ever.

Square still makes great games. And, even though I didn't like it much, Final Fantasy XV sold a ton. FFXIV is also a massive hit.

Not sure where you got the idea Square gave up. They've been releasing more quality games than anyone the last couple years.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Imagine an RPG without stupid anime tropes and cringe characters, great story, world building, soundtrack and turn based combat.

Ok, dont imagine. Its FF X and its one of the best games ever made.

What. FFX is one of my favs but its got a ton of anime and cringe. Lulu’s character design alone is…lol

Its ok to like anime/cringe stuff. I like Sonic Adventure 2 and Trails of Cold Steel for example. It doesn’t mean something is automatically bad.

Top Bottom