• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake will be Three Parts Long

The Fartist

Gold Member
Aww you poor thing, they're going straight to IX. No one cares about 8.

Thanks for that earth-shattering revelation

177adb34-ad5f-4b01-b851-6ad1d9b18046_text.gif

//DEVIL//

This was well-known fact ever since they announced the first one. I guess they just want to reconfirm it since it's been 7 years since the announcement

Elysion

Banned
The argument that it doesn’t matter that they change the story because we can still play the original is a bit silly. Yes, I can still play the original… with its blocky, untextured chibi models, lack of voice acting, iffy translation, midi soundtrack, badly aged backgrounds and general mid-90s weirdness. This isn’t like the situation with the TLoU remake, where the original game hasn’t aged that much; FF7 actually needed a remake. I would even say it needed a remake more than any FF that came before or after, since the game came out during a time when developers were still figuring out how to do 3d games. I’d say the earlier 2d games actually hold up better overall from a visual standpoint, as do FF8 and 9, which are much more visually consistent than 7. So a FF7 remake was a very welcome thing indeed.

Instead we got some kind of weird reimagining with time ghosts and dimensional travel, and it’s cut into parts, the first of which barely covered the events of the first half of the first disc. Still, I could’ve lived with all that if at least they’d also done a more traditional remake with a lower budget, which is what I thought Ever Crisis would be. Except that one turned out to be some kind of online mobile thing.

The whole situation also makes me quite apprehensive in regard to the FF9 remake that’s supposedly in the works. Will that also be some kind of ‘reimagining’, or if it will stick closer to the original? If SE is unable to remake FF7 in a single game, then I don’t think they’ll be able to do it with FF9 either. Do we even have any theories who’s making this? I wouldn’t be surprised if that too is some kind of online game with gacha mechanics or whatever.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Just had a thought....

FF7R Part 2 (Rebirth) announced 2022 | FF7 25th Anniversary | Release I bet Spring 2024.
FF7R Part 3 (TBC) announcement year guess - 2025 | FF7 30th Anniversary in 2027.... that's when it'll release!

Makes sense to me the final entry would target the 30th Anniversary in 2027. 3 years from part 2 and probably 1-2 years before the generation ends. Feeling quite certain that this will be their plan. Then they can prepare a complete edition upgrade for PS6.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For 99% people 1:1 remake would have been a dissapointment.
The way I see it no matter what they did some people will get disappointed no matter what so I’m glad they took their chance and made different type of “remake”.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think FFX is next for a remake like this.

Some people says it still holds up, and I agree, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing its modern version.
Not before a Tactics remake please

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Which means that by the time we get to Part 3, James Cameron will have released/finished his 5th Avatar sequel...
Part 2 is next winter and they've already started on Part 3 you're not up to date.
I think FFX is next for a remake like this.

Some people says it still holds up, and I agree, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing its modern version.
It was already revealed in the Nvidia leak that 9 is next
but here's a consolation prize

Elysion

Banned
I heard about that FFIX remake, but it just sounds too good to be true.

The best case scenario for FF9 we could realistically hope for would be a remake in the style of Capcom’s RE1 Remake; with completely new pre-rendered backgrounds in 4k, voice acting, detailed character models and animations, maybe a new battle system, but an otherwise (mostly) faithful recreation of the original. I doubt they’re gonna do a huge AAA game like with FF7; FF9 isn’t really popular enough for them to take such a risk (it’s the worst selling FF since FF7).

The worst case scenario however would be another mobile and/or life service game like Ever Crisis lol.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I actually think FFVIII would be best served for a remake. I think IX is a much better game, but the nature of the art design of VIII, the characters, and the world, I think it would really benefit from a remake. To just skip it to remake IX because it’s more beloved would be lame.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I wouldn’t consider a game with the same main story beats, characters, and bosses a completely different direction.

It’s still close enough to the original source material to be considered a remake and in the same ballpark as the OG game and I expect Rebirth to follow a similar track with added characters/content from the other compilation games (CC, DoC, etc)

Then you played a completely different game. There is a shit ton of changes, new bosses, unique enemies, and completely changed story beats even before reaching the ending that there is no way you can feasibly say it was *not* going into a completely different direction without living with your head in the sand.

Not just here, everywhere. People still think this was going to be a 1 for 1 Remake, when it was pretty clear it wasn't going to be.

Yep. Absolutely baffling.

Swift_Star

Banned
The argument that it doesn’t matter that they change the story because we can still play the original is a bit silly. Yes, I can still play the original… with its blocky, untextured chibi models, lack of voice acting, iffy translation, midi soundtrack, badly aged backgrounds and general mid-90s weirdness. This isn’t like the situation with the TLoU remake, where the original game hasn’t aged that much; FF7 actually needed a remake. I would even say it needed a remake more than any FF that came before or after, since the game came out during a time when developers were still figuring out how to do 3d games. I’d say the earlier 2d games actually hold up better overall from a visual standpoint, as do FF8 and 9, which are much more visually consistent than 7. So a FF7 remake was a very welcome thing indeed.

Instead we got some kind of weird reimagining with time ghosts and dimensional travel, and it’s cut into parts, the first of which barely covered the events of the first half of the first disc. Still, I could’ve lived with all that if at least they’d also done a more traditional remake with a lower budget, which is what I thought Ever Crisis would be. Except that one turned out to be some kind of online mobile thing.

The whole situation also makes me quite apprehensive in regard to the FF9 remake that’s supposedly in the works. Will that also be some kind of ‘reimagining’, or if it will stick closer to the original? If SE is unable to remake FF7 in a single game, then I don’t think they’ll be able to do it with FF9 either. Do we even have any theories who’s making this? I wouldn’t be surprised if that too is some kind of online game with gacha mechanics or whatever.
most fans seem to be happy with the direction so all is good. I’d rather have a new story.

Ryu Kaiba

The best case scenario for FF9 we could realistically hope for would be a remake in the style of Capcom’s RE1 Remake; with completely new pre-rendered backgrounds in 4k, voice acting, detailed character models and animations, maybe a new battle system, but an otherwise (mostly) faithful recreation of the original. I doubt they’re gonna do a huge AAA game like with FF7; FF9 isn’t really popular enough for them to take such a risk (it’s the worst selling FF since FF7).

The worst case scenario however would be another mobile and/or life service game like Ever Crisis lol.
Yeah an Ever Crisis style remake of 9 makes the most sense, seems like something they would follow up ever crisis with. Still hoping for more but I'll take it.

TheCed

yeah saw this earlier. max is convinced rebirth wont be coming out until early 2024, which is just...

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen's Kitchen
I mean... This would be next winter so... yeah ? You believe it can come out between December 21th 2023 to December 31th 2023 ?

I like your optimism but doubt it's possible.

Relique

The project is taking too long
It is. I think their goal is to have all three out on the same console generation and maybe do a complete edition down the line for PS5/PS6.

The hope is that they at least forego any DLC for rebirth and just try to get out that last game as soon as possible.

TheCed

The project is taking too long
I believe SE has fixed most of the development issues that plagued the PS3 and early PS4 years.

I think Rebirth by 2024 is quite possible.
Not saying there won't be any delays but we're not in a Versus XIII situation so those delays might be for only a few months.

Top Bottom