• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake will be Three Parts Long

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Final Fantasy VII: Redemption

yOJP8LG.jpg

Last edited:

SCB3

What people forget is that Disc 1 was 60% of the entire game. Its part 1+2 from this graph.

I usually clocked in at approx 20 hours when I had to swap. And I beat the game in 35. Disc 2 was mostly busywork for the huge materia which was a dud anyway, it took me about 10 hours and disc 3 was one dungeon but with assets from disc 1 and 2 so you could go everywhere, which could be done in under 5 hours or much less if you made a beeline for the boss.

My pick would be either City of the Ancients or Mideel. The former would make the most sense, its an incredible climax and part 3 would likely start with a Snowboard set piece on the northern continent.

Pretty much this, VIII is very similar, don't forget it was 3 discs because of the FMV's mainly

EDMIX

I give you that, I'm fan of Nomura's games but when comes to story telling, Taro, Takahashi and Kamitani are WAY better.

I personally super excited for FFVII Rebirth and Crisis Core Remake and getting them day one but I'm beyond HYPE for Xenoblade 3.

Agreed. He is a great example that not all concept artist, can write stories from beginning to end. As a concept artist myself...I must admit, we love the beginning of things lol I'm sure he has great passion for what he does, but I just can't trust he can make a sound story.

Fredrik

Rebirth?
Shame they didn't come up with a better name for the first part.
Remake & Rebirth just doesn't go
Yup. Rebirth is the better title since it’s really not a remake, it’s a new game with a new story with the old characters in the old universe. Rebirth part 1, part 2, part 3 would’ve been perfect.

Shane89

Remake ended around middle part of the original Disc 1... so yeah, 70% of original content will miss.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I'd imagine the whole story is likely to be a very truncated version of the original. It took an entire game to get to leaving Midgard.

I don't see a situation in which they can cram in every other location, narrative beat and set piece from the other three quarters of the story that's left into another two games. That's fine, though. The story will probably swing wildly off on a tangent anyway.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I am. I don’t want a carbon copy of OG FFVII. I already have it. I love that each installment will mean I truly am walking into something new and have no real clue what will happen.
As long as the original game is available on current systems I'm okay with Remakes. If I don't like it I can play the original. No problem.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think we will have a much meatier Part 2 than people realize to be honest. Remember the issues with Remake were they switched half way through development from in-house engine to Unreal 4, so they actually had to remake a lot of stuff. Basically started over.

So thats why the first game is all Midgar. They expanded the story and added some nice things for character like Jesse's chapter which I liked a lot. Part 2 will have been started development in 2019 with all the tools, the planned content/Roadmap already in place which is why Part 1/Remake took forever to come to market.

I truly believe Rebirth will be long, and varied content/location wise.

Akt

Banned
Hopefully, they will change their mind, and continue.

Or just jump into expanding FFIX, and FFX.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
What people forget is that Disc 1 was 60% of the entire game. Its part 1+2 from this graph.

I usually clocked in at approx 20 hours when I had to swap. And I beat the game in 35. Disc 2 was mostly busywork for the huge materia which was a dud anyway, it took me about 10 hours and disc 3 was one dungeon but with assets from disc 1 and 2 so you could go everywhere, which could be done in under 5 hours or much less if you made a beeline for the boss.

My pick would be either City of the Ancients or Mideel. The former would make the most sense, its an incredible climax and part 3 would likely start with a Snowboard set piece on the northern continent.
I feel like they teased this in the trailer with the white materia/aerith flash.

Yup, funny enough many of us had theories years ago about if it would be 3 parts for 3 disk and looks like.....we owe them some apologies lol edit @Neff sir, bravo and good call. Twas an educated guess. I don't remember everyone in those threads when we where all making those fucking theories and shit lol
I went back to those threads yesterday after the announcement lol so much “episodic” hysteria and hyperbole expecting this to be a 6-10 part, never finished game.

I don't know why everyone is jumping the gun and calling this episodic when they specifically said "multi-part".

It's if The Lord of the Rings was one book, Peter Jackson announced it wouldn't be one 10 hour movie , and then people complained like he was turning it into a TV series.

Let's wait and see before we all go into full meltdown

Kimahri

Banned
I'm already FFatigued..

I also don't trust them to make the story interesting. Pobably won't even be the same story the way they're changing things.

Aerith won't die, or will be revived.

Nah, they'll fuck it up. I'm sure of it.

Naked Lunch

How long was the 1st Remake? Surly it wasnt some 40-60 hour game right?

I was always in the 'wait until the full thing is released' camp.
Thats going to be a long while - but I can wait.
Especially since they already released a special edition of the first game. Who knows how many special versions with additional content will drop.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm already FFatigued..

I also don't trust them to make the story interesting. Pobably won't even be the same story the way they're changing things.

Aerith won't die, or will be revived.

Nah, they'll fuck it up. I'm sure of it.

They have made it abundantly clear with the interviews and discussions *before* Final Fantasy VII Remake came out that it wasn’t going to be a remake of the original game. After having actually *played* Remake, it is even more clear that they are going in a completely different direction.

I don’t get why this is so difficult for folks here to understand.

Kimahri

Banned
They have made it abundantly clear with the interviews and discussions *before* Final Fantasy VII Remake came out that it wasn’t going to be a remake of the original game. After having actually *played* Remake, it is even more clear that they are going in a completely different direction.

I understand it, I just don't like it becausethe people in charge of this are shit writers. Every single thing in remake that wasn't in the original sucked.

Hard.

When they stuck to the original it was great.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I understand it, I just don't like it becausethe people in charge of this are shit writers. Every single thing in remake that wasn't in the original sucked.

Hard.

When they stuck to the original it was great.

I think your delusions of how “amazing” the original game was written is rather impressive. The writing is no worse or better than the original.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Especially since they already released a special edition of the first game. Who knows how many special versions with additional content will drop.

I don’t get this. Its as silly as saying, after Mass Effect released that you would “Wait for the full thing” by not touching the games until after Mass Effect 3 released. Or that you would not touch Total War WarHammer until Total War WarHammer 3 released.

This is *not* the original story. It never was going to be. This is a completely different take, a full on sequel, to the events of the original.

Thabass

Not just here, everywhere. People still think this was going to be a 1 for 1 Remake, when it was pretty clear it wasn't going to be.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member

I wouldn’t consider a game with the same main story beats, characters, and bosses a completely different direction.

It’s still close enough to the original source material to be considered a remake and in the same ballpark as the OG game and I expect Rebirth to follow a similar track with added characters/content from the other compilation games (CC, DoC, etc)

Belthazar

Technically we're not even half-way through Disc 1.

Of course the changes are going to be bigger the further the story goes and probably not every place is going to get as much attention as Midgard.

To be fair Midgar was the one place that needed that amount of attention anyway, the city was the most iconic place in the game and you barely spend time there in the original. I still think they should've given us a better glimpse of the life above the plate instead of focusing so much on expanding the slums, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

reksveks

I don’t get this. Its as silly as saying, after Mass Effect released that you would “Wait for the full thing” by not touching the games until after Mass Effect 3 released. Or that you would not touch Total War WarHammer until Total War WarHammer 3 released.

This is *not* the original story. It never was going to be. This is a completely different take, a full on sequel, to the events of the original.
I don't think it's that silly. If you know that there is 3 books that might be 3/4 years apart then you might wait for it all.

I think it might make sense if you knew that mass effect 3 was going to be the end of the story.

I know people who wait for TV shows and then binge it.

PS I like the OG and the remake and might still wait for the complete edition.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Rebirth?
Shame they didn't come up with a better name for the first part.
Remake & Rebirth just doesn't go
FF7 Jenova — Rebirth

Looks right to me. (Edit: I can't read.) Could have forgone the Jenova connection and gone with the Fort Condor and summons connection; FF7 - PHOENIX [DOWN]

😂

You'd loose uniformity of the RE**** moniker, but you gain so much more!

Last edited:

Fbh

If you just do the main story it's around 30 hours. If you do the side stuff it's probably a bit over 40.
It's fine if you want to wait but you really shouldn't look at this like one game split into multiple parts since from story to gameplay it's not a 1:1 remake.

didn't we knew this for 2 years already

We only knew they would release multiple parts, we didn't know how many.
Most people assumed 3 because trilogies are common in games and media, but we didn't have a confirmation until now.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Could they be calling it 'Rebirth' because Aerith can be revived in the remake?

Rebirth is either about Sephiroth, or Cloud becoming whole again. Or Jenova? Somehow I doubt Aerith will even die. Would this mean an entire game without her being playable? She's popular.

I think they're going to do it, take liberties with the chains of fate being broken and prevent it from happening. On the other hand, its THE most iconic scene in the game. They have to include it imho, and it only works if she's dead for real.

Aggelos

Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy VII Rebirth for PlayStation 5. It is the second title in the Final Fantasy VII Remake project. It will launch in winter 2023.

The company also confirmed that the Final Fantasy VII Remake project will consist of three titles. The first title is Final Fantasy VII Remake; the second Final Fantasy Rebirth; and the third and final title is to be announced.

xyOOOXC.gif

Which means that by the time we get to Part 3, James Cameron will have released/finished his 5th Avatar sequel...

Akt

Banned
I think FFX is next for a remake like this.

Some people says it still holds up, and I agree, but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing its modern version.

Top Bottom