• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Soundtrack sucks

Kumomeme

it is definitely one of the best soundtrack of generation. it is widely praised and even won award.
it based by original with Nobuo Uematsu involved, composed by people like Hamauzu not some unknown composer.
have you heard the original? its already 2020 by time it launch seriously?

if you feel otherwise, then it just its yours personal preferences.

mad max thats GIF

also only 2 minute in? you judge whole game by early part of game only? you know that this game soundtrack has phase variation? also each section you are, depend on story has different tone and build. you merely at prologue lmao.

2 minute? genius!

what kind of speaker or headphone you use?

Last edited:

Pallas

I like the new soundtrack somewhat but uh OP? Need to play more than just 2 minutes and if you really want the old theme back, just listen to it while you battle each time on your phone with earbuds.

Batiman

Banned
It's a hallway the whole game. Also don't get your hopes up about the story.
The original is my top 3 of all time and this disappoints me. I love Midgar but the whole game taking place there turned me off big time. That’s the reason I’m only starting it now. I’m not asking for an open world but I want decent size open sections. I’m early on and I’m getting ff13 vibes. I hate when games feel like everyone who’s playing it, is playing the exact same way. I guess that’s why it’s so beautiful looking though.

The original is my top 3 of all time and this disappoints me. I love Midgar but the whole game taking place there turned me off big time. That’s the reason I’m only starting it now. I’m not asking for an open world but I want decent size open sections. I’m early on and I’m getting ff13 vibes. I hate when games feel like everyone who’s playing it, is playing the exact same way. I guess that’s why it’s so beautiful looking though.
This is the third consecutive mainline FF that's been a total trainwreck (after XIII and XV). The series hasn't been good since 2006, and you could tell the wheels were coming off even then. I simply don't think Squenix has the talent in its mainline studios to make good games anymore. People are insisting on getting hyped about FFXVI because supposedly they did a good job with XIV or whatever, but until I see incontrovertible evidence I'm done with this franchise.

Batiman

Banned
This is the third consecutive mainline FF that's been a total trainwreck (after XIII and XV). The series hasn't been good since 2006, and you could tell the wheels were coming off even then. I simply don't think Squenix has the talent in its mainline studios to make good games anymore. People are insisting on getting hyped about FFXVI because supposedly they did a good job with XIV or whatever, but until I see incontrovertible evidence I'm done with this franchise.
I personally haven’t enjoyed the series since 9. Was hoping this would be different. I gave up on 15 super quick. Still gonna continue to give this a chance.

Yeah, FF16 is looking way too edgy and grim to the point of being unrecognizable.
I'm glad they've managed to keep Dragon Quest's identity somewhat intact though.
I think there must be something in Horii's contract leftover from the Enix days that gives him creative control over the IP. Sakaguchi never had it, for whatever reason, so the suits were able to destroy Final Fantasy.

Actually, the way that Dragon Quest games are made seems almost sui generis: the director, Horii, seems to contract out the actual development of the game to whichever studio he wants to tap for the project. No idea how that situation arose, but it's clearly a much healthier model over the long term than allowing the developer/publisher full control.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Many things sucked about this Remake but the soundtrack was not one of them (although 1-2 new tracks were indeed not so good).

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The soundtrack is good, but the original was better.

They shouldve simply gone for orchestrated versions of the orginal, like this one:

They also should have only fleshed out the story, but not change the core storyline.

A shame, with a lot less effort, the could have made the remake a lot better.

Show me how to do this song entirely with an orchestra:

because even the remake had to keep the synth sounds in from the original.

I'm a huge FFVII fan, I believe it is the best game that I've ever played and a great part of that is because of how great the soundtrack is. I wasn't gonna play remake untill all the parts were released but since they put it on PS Plus then why not? So I'm 2 minutes in and the first thing I notice is the soundtrack, what the fuck happened? Why did they screw up the soundtrack like that? Specially "Let the battle begin", you know, that music that starts playing everytime you get into a fight? It completely sucks. It lacks the synthetic sounds, they changed to orchestra and it just doesn't hit the same way. While the original was powerful, the remake soundtrack is bland.

I just can't understand why would anyone decide to ruin such a big part of the game. Is there anyway to play with the original soundtrack instead of this garbage? Otherwise I think I'm just not gonna bother with it.

The soundtrack was the reason you could endure grinding so much lol.
Well said. An orchestra doesn't mean that the Soundtrack automatically gets better. But I can see on the retarded smileys reaction you get that those people have no clue whatsoever.

Boiyo then you haven’t heard Jenova’s theme in this game, which slowly starts turning into the OG theme in battle.

Just you wait pal, before you knock down the whole game’s soundtrack. Try actually beating it and getting to Jenovah, Sephiroph and the Airbuster.

Dacon

Banned
There is absolutely no comparison between the OST of RE2make and FF7Remake. Abso-fucking-lutely none.

That person wasn't comparing the quality of the those soundtracks to each other jesus christ. All theyre saying is the game should have had the same option, which is a fair take.

People are so damn sensationalized it's ridiculous.

I decided to keep playing despite of the soundtrack. The game is ok, but I just can't understand why did they need to change the soundtrack.
That is a good question. To find the answer to that question, I suggest answering the following question first : Why did they need to change the graphics?

RayHell

You're the very example of what wrong with the internet today . There's thing in life that 99.9% of the people agree on and it doesn't deserve a thread because it's a consensus. But someone who is part of the .1% will take the podium and spread it's hate like it's a proven fact and there's few you so even if you're part of the .1% you take 50% of the thread about the subject. You hate it fine but stop trying to convince people by creating false debate.

SenkiDala

I'm a huge FFVII fan, I believe it is the best game that I've ever played and a great part of that is because of how great the soundtrack is. I wasn't gonna play remake untill all the parts were released but since they put it on PS Plus then why not? So I'm 2 minutes in and the first thing I notice is the soundtrack, what the fuck happened? Why did they screw up the soundtrack like that? Specially "Let the battle begin", you know, that music that starts playing everytime you get into a fight? It completely sucks. It lacks the synthetic sounds, they changed to orchestra and it just doesn't hit the same way. While the original was powerful, the remake soundtrack is bland.

I just can't understand why would anyone decide to ruin such a big part of the game. Is there anyway to play with the original soundtrack instead of this garbage? Otherwise I think I'm just not gonna bother with it.

The soundtrack was the reason you could endure grinding so much lol.
"I'm a huge FFVII fan"
"But I waited that the remake comes out on the PS+ to play it"

Big, big fan.

And also you're wrong about the soundtrack but hey, I'm talking to someone who judge a game after "2 minutes". Judging a 157 tracks soundtrack after 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
So is the hate boner some people have for this masterpiece of a game which surpasses the original in every single way.

One, reducing the way people feel about this game to "hate boner" is pretty immature, and two there's plenty of people who think this game is disappointing as hell and want to point that out. All viewpoints are valid. No one's opinion is fact, and neither is yours.

Don't like their opinions? Don't read them.

You don't need to subject yourself to discussions you find displeasing.

Airola

Well said. An orchestra doesn't mean that the Soundtrack automatically gets better. But I can see on the retarded smileys reaction you get that those people have no clue whatsoever.

Synths tried to emulate real instruments. A lot of SNES rpg music is them trying to make the SNES sound like an orchestra. Obviously that couldn't happen so the end result was something different. MIDI was the same thing. MIDI sounds MIDI and that's why the original FFVII sounded the way it did.

People are then assuming that it would be better to have a real orchestra because the original tried to sound like that but "failed" because of technical limitations, but what they don't get is that the end result from those technical limitations was a thing of its own, with a unique mood to it and sometimes there is no need to try to "upgrade" that sound for real instruments because it completely changes the mood those "happy accidents by technical limitations" brought in to the game.

Nickolaidas

Banned
One, reducing the way people feel about this game to "hate boner" is pretty immature, and two there's plenty of people who think this game is disappointing as hell and want to point that out. All viewpoints are valid. No one's opinion is fact, and neither is yours.

Don't like their opinions? Don't read them.

You don't need to subject yourself to discussions you find displeasing.
No, immature is people finding something to bitch about this game in every single thing, every little detail.

The graphics are without any soul.
The artstyle is bland.
The music is withoul substance.
They butchered the character designs.
The combat system is horrible and toned down for dummies and lacks the strategy of the original.

Unfounded complaints made by people who want to pretend they're special by downplaying the remake and claiming its fans don't 'get' what made the original special.

The graphics are better.
The music is better.
The combat is better.
The characterization is better.

That's the truth for anyone who is willing to take off the nostalgia goggles for a minute.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Synths tried to emulate real instruments. A lot of SNES rpg music is them trying to make the SNES sound like an orchestra. Obviously that couldn't happen so the end result was something different. MIDI was the same thing. MIDI sounds MIDI and that's why the original FFVII sounded the way it did.

People are then assuming that it would be better to have a real orchestra because the original tried to sound like that but "failed" because of technical limitations, but what they don't get is that the end result from those technical limitations was a thing of its own, with a unique mood to it and sometimes there is no need to try to "upgrade" that sound for real instruments because it completely changes the mood those "happy accidents by technical limitations" brought in to the game.
Yeah, let's hope Capcom will make RE9 look and play like a PSX game in order to 'capture the feel' of the original.

Dacon

Banned
That's the truth for anyone who is willing to take off the nostalgia goggles for a minute.

Your opinion. People have very valid complaints about this, and it has nothing to do with nostalgia, that's just the best you can come up with to dismiss how they feel. There is no truth to something subjective, it's pretty ridiculous to assert otherwise.

There's nothing more unfounded about what they say than your gratuitous praise.

Unfounded complaints made by people who want to pretend they're special by downplaying the remake and claiming its fans don't 'get' what made the original special.

Or, and I know this is hard for some of you people to grasp, theyre criticisms from people who were heavily invested in this remake and were very disappointed with what they got. It's hilarious how you people think anyone who didn't like this damn game has some kind of fucking grudge against your sacred cow.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So is the hate boner some people have for this masterpiece of a game which surpasses the original in every single way.
Chill bruh, I'm still playing it. There's some good and bad in there. It's not a perfect game and neither is the original. Don't like how much of a clown Barrett comes across as though, humming the victory theme after winning a battle is the most out of character shit I've seen. If Cid or Aerith did it I'd give it the pass.

SkylineRKR

There are no open sections. Midgar is structured like FFXIII levels, its also hallways. But there is more downtime and you can go back to previous areas. Thats the main difference with XIII. For the rest both games certainly share DNA.

Erdrick

I played about 10-15 hours of the remake and the music was fine enough to me. Nice remixes of the original OST. I don't see any issue with the music, myself.

Dacon

Banned
Chill bruh, I'm still playing it. There's some good and bad in there. It's not a perfect game and neither is the original. Don't like how much of a clown Barrett comes across as though, humming the victory theme after winning a battle is the most out of character shit I've seen. If Cid or Aerith did it I'd give it the pass.

This is the most reasonable way to look at it. The remake does some things really well, and others make me want to reeeeee.

There are no open sections. Midgar is structured like FFXIII levels, its also hallways. But there is more downtime and you can go back to previous areas. Thats the main difference with XIII. For the rest both games certainly share DNA.

This is true, and people will probably want to crucify you for it.

Yeah, no...

Gameplay is not that great with some new shit, but the music is nice

See, I think the combat for the most part is stellar. The only things I really didn't like were flying enemies and the way cutscenes during boss battles could cancel your Limit Breaks.

"I'm a huge FFVII fan"
"But I waited that the remake comes out on the PS+ to play it"

Big, big fan.

And also you're wrong about the soundtrack but hey, I'm talking to someone who judge a game after "2 minutes". Judging a 157 tracks soundtrack after 2 minutes.
Why would I want to pay for an incomplete story? I'll rather way untill all parts are released. But since they put it on plus then I guess I have no excuse to not play it.

Ryu Kaiba

I actually agree on just the first boss track that plays when fighting the scorpion sentinel is a bit overdone. Aside from that the rest is excellent.

Ryu Kaiba

Why would I want to pay for an incomplete story? I'll rather way untill all parts are released. But since they put it on plus then I guess I have no excuse to not play it.
Actually you still have the same excuse, the problem you stated before hasn't been solved all parts are not yet out. You didn't want to wait until all parts were out, you just didn't want to pay for it.

Keihart

This might be a hot take OP, but i think that whoever arranged the new soundtrack did his best effort and you just happen to not like it, maybe there are even other people that don't like it either, but i highly doubt that anyone chose to ruin the soundtrack.

Actually you still have the same excuse, the problem you stated before hasn't been solved all parts are not yet out. You didn't want to wait until all parts were out, you just didn't want to pay for it.
I clearly said why would I want to pay for an incomplete story? Did you miss that part?

Furball

FF7R soundtrack lose all of the mechanical feeling , mysterious ,depress and creepy atmosphere of old soundtrack . FF7R soundtrack is just epic and lack everything else . Moreover , those new track they add in pretty much standout like sore thumb , it problem with modern SE , all of their soundtrack has too many chief but none of them mix well together make the soundtrack disjoint and sound like a collection of random music

This was my favourite soundtrack of last year.
Some good ones...

Chance meeting In Sector 7

Anxiety

Just Another Job

Shinra Creed

Shinra Beacon of Civilization

Flowers Blooming in the Church

Under The Rotting Pizza

perkelson

Yup compared to originals they are garbage. They might be better though that your standard game music though. When they will do obvious FF8 remake i will cringe even harder considering FF8 has even better tracks.

The same people who love this shit are subhumans who mod their Dragon Quest XI sountrack on PC with orchestral music instead of going with midi glory.

Demon's Souls and DQXI orchestral music is also great example how you can fuck up royally.

This also reminds me of how many times people try to do Time's Scar via orchestra game music every time butchering it and it is not even midi, just normal instruments sythetized:

Butchering of midi and replacing it with orchestral music will be watched by future generations like we do at replacing classical music with beatdance 90s pop. "EWWWW"

And since we talk about midi glory. Here is best example of something you just can't symphonize because it looses everything what is good about it:

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yup compared to originals they are garbage. They might be better though that your standard game music though. When they will do obvious FF8 remake i will cringe even harder considering FF8 has even better tracks.

The same people who love this shit are subhumans who mod their Dragon Quest XI sountrack on PC with orchestral music instead of going with midi glory.

Demon's Souls and DQXI orchestral music is also great example how you can fuck up royally.

This also reminds me of how many times people try to do Time's Scar via orchestra game music every time butchering it and it is not even midi, just normal instruments sythetized:

Butchering of midi and replacing it with orchestral music will be watched by future generations like we do at replacing classical music with beatdance 90s pop. "EWWWW"

And since we talk about midi glory. Here is best example of something you just can't symphonize because it looses everything what is good about it:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcastic.

Top Bottom