• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake sold over 5 million copies; Highest selling digital title for Square Enix ever

Pidull

Let's stop pretending these are good sales for the remake of the FF game most commonly referred to as the best in the entire series.

FF13 sold 5 million units in 5 months (only 2 months in the US), when install base was only ~85 million across all platforms.

Install base of PS4 is sitting at 110 million right now, and it took 5 months to sell 5 million. Again, this is the remake of the most revered FF game of all time.

It should have done better.

Javthusiast

Banned
Let's stop pretending these are good sales for the remake of the FF game most commonly referred to as the best in the entire series.

FF13 sold 5 million units in 5 months (only 2 months in the US), when install base was only ~85 million across all platforms.

Install base of PS4 is sitting at 110 million right now, and it took 5 months to sell 5 million. Again, this is the remake of the most revered FF game of all time.

Jrpgs, despite having a huge loud fanbase are still a fucking niche muh dude. Especially nowadays where other genres reign even more supreme.

Pidull

Jrpgs, despite having a huge loud fanbase are still a fucking niche muh dude. Especially nowadays where other genres reign even more supreme.
Nonsense, Dragon Quest is a more niche series and the most recent entry has shipped 5.5 mil.

Monster Hunter World is another action RPG that has sold over 15 mil.

Octopath Traveler isn't even that good and sold 2 mil.

Between Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal, it's sold nearly 5 million on a far less well-known franchise.

Maybe if S-E stopped trying to turn FF into another action RPG series, it would perform better. These sales suck, considering the original FF7 has been one of the top sellers on digital storefronts quite consistently since its release.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Nonsense, Dragon Quest is a more niche series and the most recent entry has shipped 5.5 mil.

Between Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal, it's sold nearly 5 million on a far less well-known franchise.

Maybe if S-E stopped trying to turn FF into another action RPG series, it would perform better. These sales suck, considering the original FF7 has been one of the top sellers on digital storefronts quite consistently since its release.

You're totally right.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
EA, Ubisoft and Activision be like ‘below our expectations. Fire a bunch of people’

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maybe if S-E stopped trying to turn FF into another action RPG series, it would perform better.
Maybe but I doubt it. How do you even prove that? The battle system in FF7R was one of the most entertaining and deep systems I've experienced in recent memory and added to the game positively, IMO.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cant wait for the pc release to play again... mod community problably will fix and improve that texture problem... my only disappointment with the game.
I assume the devs will optimize the port for high end PC systems. If not, that would be a major disappointment.

Vawn

Banned
Funny thread 🤣😂
5M vs 22.4M

Compare just about any game to Animal Crossing and it will look pitiful.

Should we shoot down sales numbers for every AAA game because of GTA 5's numbers?

Bodomism

Banned
20e.jpg

Bodomism

Banned
Compare just about any game to Animal Crossing and it will look pitiful.

Should we shoot down sales numbers for every AAA game because of GTA 5's numbers?
You need to deep dive in that thread, nearly half of them believed FF7R is going to outsell ACNH despite 0 sales data to support that idea.

nowhat

You need to deep dive in that thread, nearly half of them believed FF7R is going to outsell ACNH despite 0 sales data to support that idea.
So why don't you go to gloat about it in that thread in "that other site"? What's the relevance here?

They fucked up the format and they know it. No way this game should have been a trilogy or whatever the fuck it's going to be. They got greedy and got sonned by Animal Crossing.

Graciaus

Minority opinion but I would never buy or even play this until all parts were released.

KingT731

MHW was the first MH game on consoles(Not a port of a handheld game) since PS2.
Octopath had the benefit of a very barren Switch release schedule as well as a ridiculous amount of (imo) unwarranted hype.
Persona 5 is just a smash.

But it seems to me you're looking at these numbers like they're normal. They're far from it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me well deserved, I really enjoy the game and I was one of those people who was very skeptical about the game when they first show off the gameplay.

Last edited:

Rikoi

I don't think it's that bad. FF13 was released for Xbox too.

FF7 remake is:
1.Remake of an existing game
2.PS timed exclusive (still has to release on other platforms)
3.Only 1 part of the game, it's not the whole package

2nd and 3rd reason are the most impactful I'd say. I wasn't going to buy it and I'm a huge FF fan, I had a friend gift it to me, that's how I played it.
I wanted to wait until all parts are done and buy the whole collection, I'm sure many people are not interested in playing only the first bit of the story.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned

The anticipation for FFXIII was insane, even with how linear we knew it was going to be, because the series, up to that point, was still the high watermark for quality console games. It's not anymore in 2020.

FFVII did about 9-10 million on its initial run (with a few million more over the decades of its long tail). That is the upper limit for any derivative work like a remake. It was also 23 years ago - the FF base today is not what it was. Maybe you think it should've done 7-8 million instead of 5-6, but I think it's pretty silly to act like this woefully missed its mark.

Also, this is an action game. The original Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time, but I won't play this because it's not a real remake. Maybe your argument is that they took this in the wrong direction, in which case I would agree.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Well, they were idiots. I remember that thread now and I told them the same thing at the time.

Bkdk

They certainly nailed the boss fight and character design on this one. Negatives being way too linear and sometimes it really drags on as they split it into at least 3 parts. Hopefully the final episode of this will be open world and offer multiple paths to the endings like Witcher 3. Characters are really well done and would be a shame that harem ending isn’t included in one of the path.

FFXIII sales also slowed down substantially after the initial 5 million sales (1, 2). Selling 5 million copies in 5 months to only sell another 2.7 million for the rest of its lifetime indicates poor legs. Not to mention, those 7.7 million sales include the PS3, 360, and PC versions combined.

In addition, sales for XIII-2 and Lightning Returns fell precipitously. We have yet to see if we will see the same trend for FFVII Remake: Part 2 and Part 3.

Maybe it was hurt by all the garbage FF games that came before it.

EDMIX

Isn't that what FF15 sold in the first 24 hours?
Even if it wasn't a multiplatform i expected more from this game, maybe thats just the rose tinted glasses when thinking about FF7
edit.
That said i hope they release part 2 for the PS4 i don't want to be forced to buy a PS5 just for this game (and Sqaure's new project that they announced that looks interesting)

Yes and no. That was counting the digital and box.

With Covid, I think it was likely you'd see more digital because of the lockdown, so this is just Square confirming those digital sales. Based on how they are doing this release, I think its clear it will be all for PS4 and simply later released on PS5 as you must consider, its Square's ode to make the most money, not least.

They have little benefit to making a PS5 only for part 2, 3 etc as it doesn't make that much sense. They base game is made on PS4, thus it kinda needs to still release on those platforms to even make development sense and clearly money. They can always add all the fancy features on PS5 thru BC or a PS5 remaster when its all complete.

VALCON 82

I really enjoyed my time with it and can’t wait to get the next part whenever that comes around.

I think the game has done just fine sales wise..
it was a divisive game inside its own fan base for the developers changing the gameplay approach.

And I'm sure it would have if they didn't pull the convoluted anime BS, making this less a remake and more a sequel. I was hyped as shit for this game, but once I read about how they changed the game, I cancelled my pre-order I had for like 6 months.

And it seems sales have slowed considerably. It shipped/sold digitally over 3.5M in the first 3 days. So, it took over 4 more months to sell 1.5M more. Fans were bragging about it being a bigger opening than GOW and Spider-Man. Can't brag about that, now. GOW did 5M in just a month. Spider-Man did 9M in under two months. Honestly, considering we haven't got an update on TLOU 2's sales, even though it's been out for almost two months, I bet it's legs haven't been that great, either.

So.. this being the 1st part of a trilogy, is it going to take 15 years from initial announcement to finish? I'm super torn on buying this. I remember how awesome FFVII was when I played it on the PS, I don't want to taint that.

Pidull

I don't think it's that bad. FF13 was released for Xbox too.

FF7 remake is:
1.Remake of an existing game
2.PS timed exclusive (still has to release on other platforms)
3.Only 1 part of the game, it's not the whole package

2nd and 3rd reason are the most impactful I'd say. I wasn't going to buy it and I'm a huge FF fan, I had a friend gift it to me, that's how I played it.
I wanted to wait until all parts are done and buy the whole collection, I'm sure many people are not interested in playing only the first bit of the story.
I included the install bases of both 360 and PS3 to provide more context to the numbers. There are simply more PS4's out there, and with the improved reliability of current gen consoles...
This, people are struggling paying rent, much less buying games.
LOL, game sales are through the fucking roof with covid-19. Just about everyone is reporting record revenues.

I'm not going to defend anyone who says that stuff, but you know how many PlayStations there are in the world, right?

It's perfectly possible that there are millions of people boycotting these games (there aren't, but there could be). It's just that millions are buying them as well.

Yeah I expected it to sell about 60m copies in 3 months as there are actually close to 120m Playstation consoles out there (including those waiting to be sold).

idrago01

Banned

Yeah I expected it to sell about 60m copies in 3 months as there are actually close to 120m Playstation consoles out there (including those waiting to be sold).
Most of these playstations unfortunately are just being used for madden or nba 2K or your annual call of duty game, 5 million for FFVII is for all intents and purposes probably above average I thought it was digital sales at first but combined it's probably about at expectations maybe a little higher, I believe it got hurt with the pre-buzz surrounding how the fates was going to impact the storyline and how it was going to get the kingdom heart treatment, and than you factor in covid which obviously didn't help, especially when it came to preorders in stores.

Sw0pDiller

Awesome. Sums Playstation up really. A global brand with huge pulling power. No wonder we're hearing so many rumors about 3rd party deals with the PS5. There is no other platform that could bring 3rd party this kind of success. I expect the same to happen with FF16. I would go as far as saying FF16 should be fully exclusive to Playstation.
indeed, these kind of numbers can really justify a decision to develop solely for one system. and the PS5 is getting into position for extending the huge succes that is PS4.... next generation is gonna be awesome. for PS players... bring those games!

The Shepard

You'll have some people waiting on the ps5 edition (or patch)

Some people waiting on a complete edition.

Some people waiting on a sale (which just started this week)

Some people waiting for a steam version.

And a couple of people waiting on a xbox version.

The sales will rise. Great game. Best game of this year so far.

Last edited:

Same ol G

Yes and no. That was counting the digital and box.

With Covid, I think it was likely you'd see more digital because of the lockdown, so this is just Square confirming those digital sales. Based on how they are doing this release, I think its clear it will be all for PS4 and simply later released on PS5 as you must consider, its Square's ode to make the most money, not least.

They have little benefit to making a PS5 only for part 2, 3 etc as it doesn't make that much sense. They base game is made on PS4, thus it kinda needs to still release on those platforms to even make development sense and clearly money. They can always add all the fancy features on PS5 thru BC or a PS5 remaster when its all complete.
Yeah they were clearly pointing out the digital sales rereading the tweet.
I hope your explanation for part 2 is true, honestly it looks like the logical thing to do unfortunately these companys dont't alwasy go for the logical choice.

Top Bottom