• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

D.Final

Banned
Lol wtf is this? Is this China?
Why does this OT have such a crazy amount of rules?

I created the Final Fantasy VII Remake OT for the purpose of talking only about the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Not to talk about off-topic discussions about what things is better for one or another, or why one prefers a game over another.
In this Final Fantasy VII Remake OT you don't have to talk about comparisons between games , and therefore don't mention them, and don't create sterile off-topic discussions about what you prefer.
(and also accepting the opinins of others about the game)

In this OT I created these rules to keep order on this page, where you collect opinions on the game, helps and tips, suggestions, and news about the game itself, such as DLC or updates, and not how much it sold.

I made these rules a month ago now to keep this OT clean, which would otherwise go against countless Off-Topic discussions, useless and with no sense of existence.
This is something that I categorically risked for the sake of everyone who reads these pages, and to keep them clean from unnecessary blockages like Off-Topics about what is best or what is worse.
(if you want to talk about that, create a discussion about it, but don't bring the topic here)

And even if they are very strict rules, I assure you that they are important to respect for this reason. For the sake of all readers.
So, even if it's hard, I ask to every users to follow these rules.

TTOOLL

I created the Final Fantasy VII Remake OT for the purpose of talking only about the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Not to talk about off-topic discussions about what things is better for one or another, or why one prefers a game over another.
In this Final Fantasy VII Remake OT you don't have to talk about comparisons between games , and therefore don't mention them, and don't create sterile off-topic discussions about what you prefer.
(and also accepting the opinins of others about the game)

In this OT I created these rules to keep order on this page, where you collect opinions on the game, helps and tips, suggestions, and news about the game itself, such as DLC or updates, and not how much it sold.

I made these rules a month ago now to keep this OT clean, which would otherwise go against countless Off-Topic discussions, useless and with no sense of existence.
This is something that I categorically risked for the sake of everyone who reads these pages, and to keep them clean from unnecessary blockages like Off-Topics about what is best or what is worse.
(if you want to talk about that, create a discussion about it, but don't bring the topic here)

And even if they are very strict rules, I assure you that they are important to respect for this reason. For the sake of all readers.
So, even if it's hard, I ask to every users to follow these rules.

"Opinions on the game" means you can compare it to other games. My opinion: FF7R is better than FFXV.

You allow opinions (thank you) so deal with them. I don't see anybody else complaining but you.

But... since this is YOUR thread, as you understand, enjoy it yourself. I'm out.

D.Final

Banned
"Opinions on the game" means you can compare it to other games. My opinion: FF7R is better than FFXV.

You allow opinions (thank you) so deal with them. I don't see anybody else complaining but you.

But... since this is YOUR thread, as you understand, enjoy it yourself. I'm out.

You can give your opinion on Final Fantasy VII Remake, but with the prohibition to compare it with other games.

Whether they are positive or negative, you are free to say opinions like:

"ah, I liked Final Fantasy VII Remake.
I think it's great. "

or
"ah, I didn't like Final Fantasy VII Remake at all.
I think it's trash. "

What you can't do is compare the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake with other games, in this OT dedicated only to this videogame.
And the Off-Topics is not allowed.

[example on what comments are not allowed to make in this Final Fantasy VII Remake OT:

- Ah, Final Fantasy VII Remake is a better game than The Witcher 3.
Because TW3 is garbage.

Or
- Ah Xenoblade Chronicles is a much better game than that of Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Because FFVII Remake is garbage.
]

Beyond the fact that everyone can have a personal opinion on anything, it is not necessary to make comparisons with it.
Because you can easily speak about the game without comparing it to other games

It is not too complicated a request to understand it seems to me.
So, if it is impossible for you to talk about this videogame (like FFVII Remake) without comparing it to other games to say how beautiful or trash/garbage it is, then you are also very free to abandon this OT now, if you prefer.

But know that comparisons with other games are not allowed in this OT.
And that anyone who wants to talk about something other than Final Fantasy VII Remake (and who wants to create only Off-Topic discussions, such as comparisons between games), is kindly invited to not participate at all in this OT dedicated precisely only to the Final Fantasy VII Remake game only.

You can give your opinion on Final Fantasy VII Remake, but with the prohibition to compare it with other games.

Whether they are positive or negative, you are free to say opinions like:

"ah, I liked Final Fantasy VII Remake.
I think it's great. "

or
"ah, I didn't like Final Fantasy VII Remake at all.
I think it's trash. "

What you can't do is compare the game of Final Fantasy VII Remake with other games, in this OT dedicated only to this videogame.
And the Off-Topics is not allowed.

[example on what comments are not allowed to make in this Final Fantasy VII Remake OT:

- Ah, Final Fantasy VII Remake is a better game than The Witcher 3.
Because TW3 is garbage.

Or
- Ah Xenoblade Chronicles is a much better game than that of Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Because FFVII Remake is garbage.
]

Beyond the fact that everyone can have a personal opinion on anything, it is not necessary to make comparisons with it.
Because you can easily speak about the game without comparing it to other games

It is not too complicated a request to understand it seems to me.
So, if it is impossible for you to talk about this videogame (like FFVII Remake) without comparing it to other games to say how beautiful or trash/garbage it is, then you are also very free to abandon this OT now, if you prefer.

But know that comparisons with other games are not allowed in this OT.
And that anyone who wants to talk about something other than Final Fantasy VII Remake (and who wants to create only Off-Topic discussions, such as comparisons between games), is kindly invited to not participate at all in this OT dedicated precisely only to the Final Fantasy VII Remake game only.
Dude you're derailing the thread more than anyone else lol.

I'm donezo.

Finally got platinum trophy. One of my favourite games so far in this generation. Aerith after Chie from p4 might be my favourite character in video games <3. Music is spot-on! And I really liked Cloud, too. Hard mode was way better expierience to play when I actually knew what to do. Two things though: I wish you could skip this robot hand sections in later playthroughs. And.... am I the only one who found these pre-rendered movies/scenes kinda feel off? Especially character faces?
for example:

something to do with shadows I guess? or models?

I don't know but I in scenes like this one:

character models seem to me way more pleasant for eyes and... natural?

or am I just nitpicking? ;d

But yeah, overall, 10/10. Can't wait for next episode.
square enix fuckers don't you dare kill aerith or else I'm gonna cry on forums ;p

Sign

Finally got platinum trophy. One of my favourite games so far in this generation. Aerith after Chie from p4 might be my favourite character in video games <3. Music is spot-on! And I really liked Cloud, too. Hard mode was way better expierience to play when I actually knew what to do. Two things though: I wish you could skip this robot hand sections in later playthroughs. And.... am I the only one who found these pre-rendered movies/scenes kinda feel off? Especially character faces?
for example:

something to do with shadows I guess? or models?

I don't know but I in scenes like this one:

character models seem to me way more pleasant for eyes and... natural?

or am I just nitpicking? ;d

But yeah, overall, 10/10. Can't wait for next episode.
square enix fuckers don't you dare kill aerith or else I'm gonna cry on forums ;p

Having the ladders be down already on hard mode would have been nice, or at least a more complicated set of puzzles.

If I had to guess, the CG was probably finished before they had completely locked down the character models. I do vastly prefer the in-egine models for sure, but I do like how Aerith looks during the opening cg.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My local EBgames was finally re-opened and I was able to pick up my deluxe edition and FINALLY able to play it after waiting for soooooooooo long.

tumblr_ofmjjdqLzc1rerzc4o1_400.gif

The wait was so painful and so hard trying avoid spoilers.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Iam playing it right now... and so far... i really enjoy it. :)

Not done yet.

But what do you guys expect for FF7 Remake Part 2?

Are they going to continue it on PS 5 to get the extra power and no loading times?

Iam playing it right now... and so far... i really enjoy it. :)

Not done yet.

Are they going to continue it on PS 5 to get the extra power and no loading times?
I honestly think they have no choice but to go next gen for several reasons, but ya you can really see the PS4 struggle to keep up with this game and that's with a very corridor heavy level design.

How far are you into the game?

Danjin44

I'm currently at chapter 13 and really enjoying my time with this game. If the part 2 get released on PS5 then our save from Part 1 won't transfer? I was in the impression that the multiple parts is going to be similar to .hack series.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm currently at chapter 13 and really enjoying my time with this game. If the part 2 get released on PS5 then our save from Part 1 won't transfer? I was in the impression that the multiple parts is going to be similar to .hack series.

Cold Steel allows save transfer between PS3 and PS4. Should be able to transfer FF7R to PS5.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hopefully it's sometime in the next 2 years. The motion capture actors for Cloud and Tifa are already working together, but of course they aren't saying on what. Could be a good sign of progress.

Whether they go cross gen or next gen only, I hope they play to the strengths of the PS5.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Anyone have tips for Bahamut during the secret boss fight boss rush? I can get him down to half health and then he calls Ifrit and the combo of that and the pink glowing circle of death kills me soon after every time.

Manji Uzuki

Anyone have tips for Bahamut during the secret boss fight boss rush? I can get him down to half health and then he calls Ifrit and the combo of that and the pink glowing circle of death kills me soon after every time.

The trick is killing him before he can summon Ifrit.. If you cast Thundaga on him repeatedly (having high magic attack) you will put him under pressure. Then you keep doing that and hitting hard with Tifa until you stagger him. Once he is staggered just go all out with magic + your best attacks with Tifa and he will die before being able to summon Ifrit. There are a few guides on youtube doing similar things, but for this boss rush using well the spells is the key.

wvnative

Not confirmed but I think it will be just like most games, you'll start over like Kiryu starts over in every yakuza game. They might give you more materia at the start but that's all i'd expect.

Rodolink

Man this is turning out to be one of the biggest disappointments for me this gen. I feel like the game can't get out of it's own way. Pretty much every time I start thinking, "Oh shit this is about to be good" there's always some bullshit thrown in the way that doesn't add anything positive to the experience.

For example when you get into the Shinra Building and instead of going on with what appears to be a narrative peak, you have to get into an arbitrarily force fielded off kiosk by doing a series of terrible controlling climbing and platforming with Tifa. There's one part where Tifa says "This isn't that bad" almost like the devs knew that part was absolute useless dog shit. What was the point of that? It wasn't fun at all and it didn't convey anything that couldn't have been conveyed in a better more poignant way. All it did was kill the momentum. Just absolutely useless.
just fan service so you can look at tifas legs while hanging on tubes...

ok you're right

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have some posts in here and the spoiler thread about that.

Basically DPS is your friend. Stunlock him with double cast thundaga or firaga.

TTOOLL

How is your materia level? You gotta go all out on Bahamut otherwise he'll wipe your party. Find a way to use limit breaks as soon as you can. Hit him with a lot of magic too. I didn't kill him before summoning Ifrit, but the elemental material helped me a lot resisting some Ifrit attacks.

Danjin44

My god that staircase part in Chapter 16 was hilarious!! Especially Barret. I was very, very skeptical about this game but I actually really liking it, this game by far my favourite modern Final Fantasy game, I still wish we would get a modern Final Fantasy with turn based combat but if this action combat they going for then I don't mind.

nowhat

I still wish we would get a modern Final Fantasy with turn based combat but if this action combat they going for then I don't mind.
While there are still turn-based JRPGs out there, I think for high-profile/AAA releases in West that ship has sailed, whether that is a good thing or not. I think here the combination of both real-time and turn-based gameplay is a reasonable compromise, although not without faults (I'd still like a jump button to be able to reach those flying enemies more easily).

(but it's still waaaay much better than the combat in FFXV, no contest - suck it OP!)

Danjin44

While there are still turn-based JRPGs out there, I think for high-profile/AAA releases in West that ship has sailed, whether that is a good thing or not. I think here the combination of both real-time and turn-based gameplay is a reasonable compromise, although not without faults (I'd still like a jump button to be able to reach those flying enemies more easily).

(but it's still waaaay much better than the combat in FFXV, no contest - suck it OP!)
Well as long as SE gives me turn based combat with Dragon Quest and Bravely/Octopath series then I don't mind. What I like about the combat system in FFVIIR is that even tho its action combat, I had full control over battle and my party even without switching to them. With FFXV was the opposite feeling, I had no control over battle or my party, it felt I was not involved, I just press button and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Holgren

Anybody else have audio issues? I have audio speakers connected to my tv and sometimes some of them get muted or the sound gets super low. It was not as noticeable in the first chapters but now in Chapter 5 it sounds like I'm underwater, it's really killing my vibe. Maybe it is the positional audio the game has, but I'm sure that it is not on my end since no other game has given me this problem so far.

Has someone else gotten this issue and solved it? It sucks since the music so far is amazing and not hearing the dialogue really takes from the experience.

EDIT: Freaking yikes with those OT rules dude.... talk about killing the conversation of the game. Next time I'll just create an LTTP :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Ixion

Anybody else have audio issues? I have audio speakers connected to my tv and sometimes some of them get muted or the sound gets super low. It was not as noticeable in the first chapters but now in Chapter 5 it sounds like I'm underwater, it's really killing my vibe. Maybe it is the positional audio the game has, but I'm sure that it is not on my end since no other game has given me this problem so far.

Has someone else gotten this issue and solved it? It sucks since the music so far is amazing and not hearing the dialogue really takes from the experience.

EDIT: Freaking yikes with those OT rules dude.... talk about killing the conversation of the game. Next time I'll just create an LTTP :messenger_beaming:

I noticed the same issue with the voices being hard to hear. I would just play with the Voice/Music/SFX volume levels until it sounds ok. The problem I’m sure is that you want the music to be more prominent, but it drowns out the voices pretty easily. So you probably just need to turn the music down a bit or at just use subtitles while leaving the voices less prominent.

And you can ignore OP’s “rules” by the way. He was just trying to prevent any comparisons to FFXV since he’s a huge fan.

T_LVPL

Just wanted to revisit this and say the Original FF7 is my favourite game of all time and the remake is my favourite modern game since the 2000s days of Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4. I would rate the remake a 10/10. Instant classic and the next chapter is the only current game I have any sort of big hype for. I can’t believe there’s people who don’t like FF7? to me it’s just perfect.

ZZZZ

finished last week, i thought it was great - with the exception of
chapter 17
. that dragged on for wayyyy to long
At least i liked the dialogue, the chapter where you backtrack through the sewer was a pain in the ass to me.

T_LVPL

I am of the strong opinion the saves will transfer, but that any player without a save will be given a boost and enough inventory to simply jump in. They’ve drip fed us the weapons and materia, they haven’t given us amazing items yet, just what we needed in Midgar. For instance the best materia in the game is Elemental and Magic+, they’ve only given us 2 Elemental not 3, and the Magic+ stacks to 4 but they’ve only given us 2. So using those clues it’s clear our progress will be able to carry over and why not? 95% of people buying it will have played the first one.

ZZZZ

I am of the strong opinion the saves will transfer, but that any player without a save will be given a boost and enough inventory to simply jump in. They’ve drip fed us the weapons and materia, they haven’t given us amazing items yet, just what we needed in Midgar. For instance the best materia in the game is Elemental and Magic+, they’ve only given us 2 Elemental not 3, and the Magic+ stacks to 4 but they’ve only given us 2. So using those clues it’s clear our progress will be able to carry over and why not? 95% of people buying it will have played the first one.
I don't think all materias will transfer, either someone will steal everything or everyone will have the same basic starter pack of materias, maybe if you clear save you get to keep a few extras, but that's about it.

I'll be very surprised if we go in fully loaded from the first game.

ZZZZ

yea i didn't hate it, just felt it went on too long. i think the whole game could have been 5 hours less (took me 43 hours, did a lot of optional missions) and it would have been for the better
I think they could have removed around 10hours of the game tbh, i still enjoyed it a lot, beat it 3 times, but pacing, level design and side quest design (some of them) hurt the game a little.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think they could have removed around 10hours of the game tbh, i still enjoyed it a lot, beat it 3 times, but pacing, level design and side quest design (some of them) hurt the game a little.

I can definitely see that. Though for my first playthrough I loved every bit of it. A lot of the pacing issues really only becomes noticeable when you are trying to rush through and get to the combat sections (IMO, anyway).

I am super excited to see a PS5/XSeX upgrade for this game. Hopefully they can put in the super high resolution images for backgrounds, improve the textures a bit, and actually add a door texture.

Danjin44

I can definitely see that. Though for my first playthrough I loved every bit of it. A lot of the pacing issues really only becomes noticeable when you are trying to rush through and get to the combat sections (IMO, anyway).
I have to agree, currently in chapter 17 and I think I’m almost done with the game and I never had any issue with its pacing.

ZZZZ

I am super excited to see a PS5/XSeX upgrade for this game. Hopefully they can put in the super high resolution images for backgrounds, improve the textures a bit, and actually add a door texture.
Let's just say i think some side quests, some sections and some levels could have been better. I love the game though. Will probably go for a 4th run after i finish P4G on pc.

Edit: Yeah i'm excited for PC release, i want RTX so bad on this game, and texture bug fix of course.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
finished last week, i thought it was great - with the exception of
chapter 17
. that dragged on for wayyyy to long

I think that the game it has been stretched too far in some ways.
Even forcing the player to walk slowly, even in very long corridors just for the cinematic impact.
At the point to becoming tedious.
Getting to the point you can literally predict when the next cutscenes will start.

Furthermore, the poverty of originality in secondary activities in this game, such as copying and pasting the battles of the coliseum and virtual simulators of the Shinra, were also rather disappointing, unfortunately.

ZZZZ

Even forcing the player to walk slowly, even in very long corridors just for the cinematic impact.
Getting to the point you can literally predict when the next cutscenes will start.

Furthermore, the poverty of originality in secondary activities in this game, such as copying and pasting the battles of the coliseum and virtual simulators of the Shinra, were also rather disappointing, unfortunately.
This has been a problem with Square games for over a decade. let's hope they can get back to their Squaresoft days in the next generation.

Ya this is the main issue I had with the game. I finished it in about 40 or so hours and felt that about half of it was padding.

Having said that, the highs were really high (mostly the intro, wall market and the shinra hq) and the lows weren't THAT low, just a little too prevalent. I'm hoping SE trims the fat a bit more with the next episode and expands upon the things they nailed.

After having thought about it for a while I still don't like the ending. It seems like a cop out to me but I'm looking forward to see where they go with it.

ZZZZ

Ya this is the main issue I had with the game. I finished it in about 40 or so hours and felt that about half of it was padding.

Having said that, the highs were really high (mostly the intro, wall market and the shinra hq) and the lows weren't THAT low, just a little too prevalent. I'm hoping SE trims the fat a bit more with the next episode and expands upon the things they nailed.

After having thought about it for a while I still don't like the ending. It seems like a cop out to me but I'm looking forward to see where they go with it.
I don't mind the ending i'm just not confident the current SE will manage to pull this one off, they are going insane on Norse mythology, gotterdammerung, ragnarok and world cycles, but if they manage, it will be insane.

200w.webp

This ain't the 90's Nojima though, so i'm scared.

Danjin44

I finally finished the game and WOW!!! I never thought they go this route, I can understand some people will not like this but I LOVE this.
Same thing happened in Drakengard 3, that game started out as prequel to original Drakengard but Accord intervened to changing entire timeline and now same thing happened in here.

I'm really excited what they go from here.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

On the ending: will future instalments veer away from the original Final Fantasy VII’s story?

Kitase: I am not able to tell you the answer to that now. I understand that there is a lot of speculation among the fans; that is what we wanted and we’ve really enjoyed seeing these theories and guesses of what the ending means. We wanted the fans to keep the discussion going on social media and keep their excitement high as we head towards the next game.

What did you hope to achieve by expanding the city of Midgar for the remake?

Kitase: When we began working on the Remake project, I went back to the original game and played it again, and the sections of Midgar were far shorter than I remembered from memory. I did feel that the Shinra company executives and the Turks who will appear again in later parts of the story needed to be portrayed in greater detail, the same way as the three members of Avalanche.

Our vision was to dive much deeper into the world and its characters than ever before. In doing this we have expanded upon the eclectic city of Midgar, building upon the structure of the city, and showing the lives of the residents in greater detail ... I loved being able to show the city of Midgar and its unique structure in full 3D. The technical limits of the original game fixed the camera to a top-down view, but in the remake you can move through it like never before. The sense of immense weight and oppression that you get when looking up from the slums really allows you to experience the feeling that the slum-dwellers get from living there first-hand.

Were there any new ideas for Midgar that you tried, but eventually rejected?

Hamaguchi: Final Fantasy VII Remake contains many mini-games that pay homage to the original, and there was one that I really wanted to include, but ultimately I was not able to do so. Fans might remember the basketball shooting mini-game in the Gold Saucer, but we also put a basketball hoop in the park that you find on the way to Jesse’s family home in the slums, and I wanted to make it playable there, too. However, we felt that the noise of rebounding basketballs really did not work with the atmosphere at that point in the story, when the team were moving covertly in the dead of night, so we removed it. We still wanted to leave a little homage in there though, so we left an abandoned basketball.

There has been much speculation about the significance of Cloud’s visions of Sephiroth. What can you say about their relationship?

Kitase: In the original game, Sephiroth did not make an appearance in the section of the story told here, but we changed it to have him appear from the start, in order to position him playing an important role over the whole of the Remake project. Sephiroth plays a major part in the ongoing story of the next game, so I am unable to reveal any more information about him here. However, seeing this kind of lively debate between fans on social media gives us huge motivation for the next instalment.

What was your approach to remaking the game’s iconic cutscenes?

Hamaguchi: There were various hardware limitations on the original Final Fantasy VII, meaning that the way the characters expressed themselves had to be stylised and overexaggerated in order to communicate their emotions. With the remake there is naturally a voice-over for the dialogue, and we are able to portray characters’ emotions in a more realistic manner, allowing us to communicate without resorting to dialogue.

[But] portraying character emotions through cutscenes is already done in film, and the biggest new challenge that we took on with Final Fantasy VII Remake was to foreshadow and frame the protagonists’ emotional states through the gameplay experience as well. For example, the depiction of the devastation in Sector 8 after the Mako Reactor 1 bombing mission was important in conveying the internal strife that the characters were experiencing towards their actions, and all the dialogue spoken by NPCs [non-player characters] in that section served to create the right atmosphere for later story developments.

How has the Covid-19 pandemic affected the game’s release and ongoing development?

Kitase: I am pained and saddened to see so many people around the world suffering with the virus and even losing their lives. When we set the release date for the game, nobody could have predicted a global pandemic like this, and the release of the game happening during this unprecedented situation has blindsided us.

At this current time, the team are still making the next game via remote working. Our performance will temporarily drop below 100% efficiency because of this, but I do not think there should be a big impact in the long term. I sincerely hope that Final Fantasy VII Remake can provide those who are forced to endure the stress of living under lockdown a moment of relief and enjoyment in these trying times.

Holgren

Just finished the game, liked it a lot but not really happy about the ending. I absolutely hate the whispers , formless things with no personality to be one of the final bosses? booring

I'm in for the ride though, the battle system is very cool, they nailed the characters and I'm excited to see new areas that are not slums, sewers and modern buildings. Hopefully they don't go too crazy with the changes to the story.

There was a complaint here, it's gone now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom