• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Official Cover Revealed

FranXico

Cloud circa 2005 (pre-render)

latest

Cloud circa 2019 (real-time)

EFPQ9ZcXUAArALV
Hehehe. He looks even better in real-time.

Last edited:

ghairat

I think the cover art pretty much sums up what the "first part" is all about. A smart choice for cover art both for story reasons and nostalgia

Fbh

i believe they said that after part 1 the next installments shouldn't take too long to come out

Do you have the quote?
All I remember them saying is that we wouldn't have to wait as long for the next installments as we did for this one.

By the time this releases it will have been almost 5 years since it was announced (E3 2015). So the next one could come in 2, 3 or even 4 years and the statement would still hold true

D.Final

Banned
Two options: it is either missing information or they've been mocking us all this time with this part I part II shitshow.

No information missing.

This is Final Fantasy VII Remake.
A multi-series game project (as evidenced by the [a multi-series game] message on the back of the game cover, and the numerous online descriptions).

So, when anyone wants to buy Final Fantasy VII Remake, he'll know exactly what he's going to get.
(just read the back of the pack, and any type of online description about the game, since it has been known for more than 3 years)

And bringing up the excuse of the "writing" does not change what you want, or wanted, from the project.
And that what you whant is a Remake of the original Final Fantasy VII 1:1, including turn-based fights.

News of the day, all those who complain about this specific reason, are the same who complained about the choice of this development in parts for this project.
And they wouldn't have accepted it anyway, even if it had been written to a character text size 50 on the game's cover.
And this just for try to finding a childish reason to complain about this choice.

The truth is that you can accept that decision, or ignore it if you prefer. But this game is designed like this, and this game remains so whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

pokerlife

Safe but cool cover. Still think it's weird (bordering on wondering if it's even legal) to not call it "part 1" or something.

It's not one game divided into multiple parts like, say, Life is Strange.
They'll divide the story into multiple "full" games and expand each part to accommodate for it. The first game will focus on Midgar which in the original was around 5 hours, now it's going to be 30+.

You should expect the next part to be another full sized RPG to release years from now
How do you know?

Birdo

Banned
Advent Children was 2005!? Shit, I feel old.

I just remember it being lots of slo-mo fights and people going "Hmm".

No information missing.

This is Final Fantasy VII Remake.
A multi-series game project (as evidenced by the [a multi-series game] message on the back of the game cover, and the numerous online descriptions).

So, when anyone wants to buy Final Fantasy VII Remake, he'll know exactly what he's going to get.
(just read the back of the pack, and any type of online description about the game, since it has been known for more than 3 years)

And bringing up the excuse of the "writing" does not change what you want, or wanted, from the project.
And that what you whant is a Remake of the original Final Fantasy VII 1:1, including turn-based fights.

News of the day, all those who complain about this specific reason, are the same who complained about the choice of this development in parts for this project.
And they wouldn't have accepted it anyway, even if it had been written to a character text size 50 on the game's cover.
And this just for try to finding a childish reason to complain about this choice.

The truth is that you can accept that decision, or ignore it if you prefer. But this game is designed like this, and this game remains so whether you like it or not.
Are you reading my mind now? No you don't know what I want. And yes I believe the part I part II thing is a shitshow, but I'll play it regardless.

By the way, weren't you banned these days? Just asking.

Thanks.

D.Final

Banned
Are you reading my mind now? No you don't know what I want. And yes I believe the part I part II thing is a shitshow, but I'll play it regardless.

By the way, weren't you banned these days? Just asking.

Thanks.

I'll answer you right away, no.
And no.

Besides, mine was a clarification, if you hadn't understood it.
Since you seem to disagree with the developers' choice to make Final Fantasy VII Remake in multiple full games.
(whether 3, 4 or more)

And so I advised you to accept this choice made by the development team, or to ignore this project if you prefer.

Just do not complain, then, when the game will be released only to say that it is not the whole plot of Final Fantasy VII PS1 original.
Because we already knew from 2015/16 that the game would be made in multiple games.
And that this complaint is therefore silly and extremely useless.

P. S .: trying to create hate, talking about other people's hypothetical bans, just to generate member war, is not a wise or useful way to have a civil conversation with someone.

In any case, what I wanted to tell you
I've already said it.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
They'll probably release them under FFVII-2 and so on. Like they previously did FFX and FFXIII.

Also in my opinion they will call them something similar to Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2.
(similar to The Last of Us Part 2)

I'll answer you right away, no.
And no.

Besides, mine was a clarification, if you hadn't understood it.
Since you seem to disagree with the developers' choice to make Final Fantasy VII Remake in multiple full games.
(whether 3, 4 or more)

And so I advised you to accept this choice made by the development team, or to ignore this project if you prefer.

Just do not complain, then, when the game will be released only to say that it is not the whole plot of Final Fantasy VII PS1 original.
Because we already knew from 2015/16 that the game would be made in multiple games.
And that this complaint is therefore silly and extremely useless.

P. S .: trying to create hate, talking about other people's hypothetical bans, just to generate member war, is not a wise or useful way to have a civil conversation with someone.

In any case, what I wanted to tell you
I've already said it.
Dude, what's wrong with you?

I just don't see the information on the cover, and imo it should be there quite visible.

If the developer wants to do in chapters, fine, whatever. I don't like the idea but who are we again?

And I'm quite sure you were banned under another name. Anyway not my problem.

D.Final

Banned
Dude, what's wrong with you?

I just don't see the information on the cover, and imo it should be there quite visible.

If the developer wants to do in chapters, fine, whatever. I don't like the idea but who are we again?

And I'm quite sure you were banned under another name. Anyway not my problem.

I have clearly told you that the word [multi series game] (or something written in a similar way) is present in the back of the game package.
And It is written online on the internet.

So everyone who can connect to a wifi network can easily read online that Final Fantasy VII Remake is a game made by multiple games.
For this reason there are no big excuses like "I didn't know" in 2020.

Besides, I repeat that you're confusing yourself with someone else, because I've never been banned forever from this forum.
And I advise you not to continue a member war, OT moreover, that nobody wants.

Here we talk about Final Fantasy VII Remake.
If you want to do only Off Topic, you can go elsewhere, out of this discussion.

I have clearly told you that the word [multi series game] (or something written in a similar way) is present in the back of the game package.
And It is written online on the internet.

So everyone who can connect to a wifi network can easily read online that Final Fantasy VII Remake is a game made by multiple games.
For this reason there are no big excuses like "I didn't know" in 2020.

Besides, I repeat that you're confusing yourself with someone else, because I've never been banned forever from this forum.
And I advise you not to continue a member war, OT moreover, that nobody wants.

Here we talk about Final Fantasy VII Remake.
If you want to do only Off Topic, you can go elsewhere, out of this discussion.

Can you please post the pic of the cover stating [multi series game] or whatever they call it?

D.Final

Banned
Can you please post the pic of the cover stating [multi series game] or whatever they call it?

Much information can be found online on the clarification of this particular point.

Of course, there is not yet a photo of the back packaging of the game.
But the information circulated these days indicates the presence of this message written in the back of the game.

To make it clear how a good part of the online descriptions speak clearly of [Multi-part saga], I'll post the image taken directly from the official PSN page of the game.

FPCQPON.jpg

This is information that is now clear to all those interested in Final Fantasy VII Remake.

And for those who don't know it, just read one of the 1000 online descriptions of how the game is a:

[The first entry in a multi-part saga]

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Much information can be found online on the clarification of this particular point.

Of course, there is not yet a photo of the back packaging of the game.
But the information circulated these days indicates the presence of this message written in the back of the game.

To make it clear how a good part of the online descriptions speak clearly of [Multi-part saga], I'll post the image taken directly from the official PSN page of the game.

FPCQPON.jpg

This is information that is now clear to all those interested in Final Fantasy VII Remake.

And for those who don't know it, just read one of the 1000 online descriptions of how the game is a:

[The first entry in a multi-part saga]

Problem solved.
I KNOW GOOD LORD! We've all read in multiple sources it will be butchered in several parts!

But you are saying with such a conviction that the cover art already has this information that I thought they indeed had already released an image of it.

JUST. THAT.

Having "Part 1" in the title is ugly, stupid and pointless. Anybody asking for Part 1 in the title already know it's multi-part series, don't act like your some kinda moral white knight for the people, when all you're really trying to do is find something to nitpick on.

Also anybody curious about why FF7 Remake went with a multi-part game should read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake

"Demands for and rumors of a remake grew in the wake of both a PlayStation 3 tech demo that was shown at the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Expo, showcasing the opening of VII with the company's new Crystal Tools engine, and the game's impending tenth anniversary in 2007. On both occasions, it was stated by Square Enix staff that no remake was in development.[11][12][13] Despite continued speculation caused by staff messages within the Compilation titles, various reasons were given for why a remake was not being developed: these reasons included wanting a contemporary title to best the sales and popularity of VII; the wish to focus on new titles; the necessity of deleting parts of the original game to make the project manageable; the difficulty of developing on hardware such as the PlayStation 3; and the required development time being overly long"

"A remake was initially attempted in the early 2000s, when the company announced a remake for PlayStation 2 alongside Final Fantasy VIII and IX, but nothing further was heard of these projects.[19][20] The main reason attempts had failed was because remaking VII on then-current hardware would be a "massive" undertaking, and if kept within a single installment would require heavy cutting of content.[21] Another reason cited was that the staff were preoccupied with developing Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels, and Remake would have been an equally large or larger project hard to undertake at the same time. Once the XIII series ended, the team were free to pursue other projects.[22]"

"Rather than developing their own engine, Square Enix licensed Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 to develop the game, with Square Enix and Epic Games Japan working together to optimize the engine for Remake. The team also received technical assistance from the developers of Kingdom Hearts III, as the latter game is being developed using the same engine.[2][34] The game's lighting is augmented with "Enlighten", a lighting engine licensed from software company Geomerics.[3] To help with the action gameplay and video quality, Square Enix originally partnered with video game developer CyberConnect2: while their expertise was appreciated, the two companies needed to keep in close contact due to very different development styles.[21] In 2017, the game's development focus shifted from being developed with external partners to being a primarily internal project.[1] One of the biggest changes was the fact that the game was planned as a multi-game release: according to Kitase, this was because trying to fit the game onto a single release would entail cutting large parts of the game, which went against the team's vision. By splitting the game into multiple parts, the team were able to give players more substantial access to areas in the game, such as within the city of Midgar, which was mostly inaccessible in the original.[21] Each game is planned to be on a similar scale to Final Fantasy XIII.[22] The first installment focused on the city of Midgar due to its iconic status among the Final Fantasy community."

In other words they considered remaking the game since the PS2, but it proved to be too massive thus requiring content to be cut. After all the bitching behind FFXV cut content, can you really blame SE making this move? Rather than cutting content from FF7 Remake they opted to release a multi-part series that expands the content. Personally I prefer the latter, and I can't imagine anybody prefer the former and wanting cut content. This also show the creators put a lot of thought and care into this project, and not just a random cash grab, and wants it to succeed, they considered all aspects and they went with the best solution. Bravo Square Enix, you made the right call, my hat off to you. :messenger_clapping:

MiguelItUp

While I understand some wanting and hoping for a new cover, I think going this route was incredibly tasteful. FF7 was my favorite of the series, and while I wasn't feeling excited for this whatsoever at first, it's changing after time.

Here's to hoping it's a solid title.

Aggelos

I just don't see how the graphics they are showing off are running on PS4 level hardware.

In all likelihood they're captured from PS4 Pro hardware.
You know, vanilla PS4 is already obsolete in today's VG gaming-standards. People are already talking about ray-tracing and stuff.Besides, they are penetrating the market as we speak, more and more.
Thus, base PS4 is out of question in terms of the graphics that SE is showing us.

D.Final

Banned
I just don't see how the graphics they are showing off are running on PS4 level hardware.

I think it's thanks to an extreme optimization of the Unreal Engine 4.

An extremely versatile, useful, and comfortable Engine. Proving a true blessing for many developers in this generation.

Having learned the techniques makes the Engine even more useful.
And in this case also extremely beautiful.
(as already demonstrated also with games like Kingdom Hearts 3)

So having said that, I'm sure the differences between PS4 and PS4 Pro versions of Final Fantasy VII Remake will probably be minimal.
And the game will be optimized in the best way on both versions of PS4.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
- how about the same cover, but with stuff in real time resolution?
*everyone agrees but one*
- let's do something more pretty
*throws the guy of window*

Fuz

Banned
In other words they considered remaking the game since the PS2, but it proved to be too massive thus requiring content to be cut. After all the bitching behind FFXV cut content, can you really blame SE making this move? Rather than cutting content from FF7 Remake they opted to release a multi-part series that expands the content.
Why not just... you know... cut the game in 2 parts without cutting content AND without adding pointles shit written by a notoriously terrible writer (the "guardians of destiny" sounds like a pretentious, shitty and a terrible story addition)?

Oh, right. Milking sheeps.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
That boxart is European, not Japanese. PEGI is the European rating board.

In another site it was given for jap.
Then I checked on Amazon jap, and found the real Japanese cover art.
My mistake.

yH5Gt6T.jpg

This should be the Japanese cover for Final Fantasy VII Remake.
(always with a reference to the original and classic FF VII for PS1)

Fuz

Banned
In another site it was given for jap.
Then I checked on Amazon jap, and found the real Japanese cover art.
My mistake.

yH5Gt6T.jpg

This should be the Japanese cover for Final Fantasy VII Remake.
(always with a reference to the original and classic FF VII for PS1)
Ugly as fuck :D
The original logo worked, it was artsy and resembled a stroke of brush. This 3D "embossed" rendition is just ugly.

D.Final

Banned
Ugly as fuck :D
The original logo worked, it was artsy and resembled a stroke of brush. This 3D "embossed" rendition is just ugly.

Opinions.

I like both the classic and metallic 3D logo.

My favorite cover is the North American and European one, in this case.

D.Final

Banned
Also anybody curious about why FF7 Remake went with a multi-part game should read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake

"Demands for and rumors of a remake grew in the wake of both a PlayStation 3 tech demo that was shown at the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Expo, showcasing the opening of VII with the company's new Crystal Tools engine, and the game's impending tenth anniversary in 2007. On both occasions, it was stated by Square Enix staff that no remake was in development.[11][12][13] Despite continued speculation caused by staff messages within the Compilation titles, various reasons were given for why a remake was not being developed: these reasons included wanting a contemporary title to best the sales and popularity of VII; the wish to focus on new titles; the necessity of deleting parts of the original game to make the project manageable; the difficulty of developing on hardware such as the PlayStation 3; and the required development time being overly long"

"A remake was initially attempted in the early 2000s, when the company announced a remake for PlayStation 2 alongside Final Fantasy VIII and IX, but nothing further was heard of these projects.[19][20] The main reason attempts had failed was because remaking VII on then-current hardware would be a "massive" undertaking, and if kept within a single installment would require heavy cutting of content.[21] Another reason cited was that the staff were preoccupied with developing Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels, and Remake would have been an equally large or larger project hard to undertake at the same time. Once the XIII series ended, the team were free to pursue other projects.[22]"

"Rather than developing their own engine, Square Enix licensed Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 to develop the game, with Square Enix and Epic Games Japan working together to optimize the engine for Remake. The team also received technical assistance from the developers of Kingdom Hearts III, as the latter game is being developed using the same engine.[2][34] The game's lighting is augmented with "Enlighten", a lighting engine licensed from software company Geomerics.[3] To help with the action gameplay and video quality, Square Enix originally partnered with video game developer CyberConnect2: while their expertise was appreciated, the two companies needed to keep in close contact due to very different development styles.[21] In 2017, the game's development focus shifted from being developed with external partners to being a primarily internal project.[1] One of the biggest changes was the fact that the game was planned as a multi-game release: according to Kitase, this was because trying to fit the game onto a single release would entail cutting large parts of the game, which went against the team's vision. By splitting the game into multiple parts, the team were able to give players more substantial access to areas in the game, such as within the city of Midgar, which was mostly inaccessible in the original.[21] Each game is planned to be on a similar scale to Final Fantasy XIII.[22] The first installment focused on the city of Midgar due to its iconic status among the Final Fantasy community."

In other words they considered remaking the game since the PS2, but it proved to be too massive thus requiring content to be cut. After all the bitching behind FFXV cut content, can you really blame SE making this move? Rather than cutting content from FF7 Remake they opted to release a multi-part series that expands the content. Personally I prefer the latter, and I can't imagine anybody prefer the former and wanting cut content. This also show the creators put a lot of thought and care into this project, and not just a random cash grab, and wants it to succeed, they considered all aspects and they went with the best solution. Bravo Square Enix, you made the right call, my hat off to you. :messenger_clapping:

One of the things I like most about Final Fantasy VII Remake is that, in addition to being extremely faithful to the original Final Fantasy VII storyline, it will also offer many new things.
Both from the point of view of the plot, and from the point of view of the gameplay.

Since we will be able to visit, practically, all of Midgar.
Including probably all Mako reactors in the city.
(while in the game we only visited 2/3)

It will be a truly incredible and exceptional experience, from this point of view, to see all the new things to discover.

Why not just... you know... cut the game in 2 parts without cutting content AND without adding pointles shit written by a notoriously terrible writer (the "guardians of destiny" sounds like a pretentious, shitty and a terrible story addition)?

Oh, right. Milking sheeps.
'
I got a better idea... make that game yourself. Unfortunately for you, nobody would play it, so instead I'll let this 🎻, the world smallest violin play some music for you, as you sit there alone grieving about every little pointless shit in your life.

Top Bottom