• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade Trailer

graywolf323

Gold Member
Happy for the upgrade, not happy that the Japanese version is another game with a ¥100 upgrade fee. It’s not a whole lot of money sure but when it’s free for the rest of the world, it’s annoying for gamers like me in Japan that have to pay an extra fee. This is becoming to common with “free” upgrade games here.
is there a legal reason for it in Japan? kinda like how I think in Germany they can't give away the equivalent to M rated games for free I believe?

at least they seem to be pricing those upgrade fees as the cheapest option they can on the PlayStation Store

YukiOnna

Awesome. But... I'll wait for PC version hopefully including the Yuffie Episode DLC since I don't plan to get a PS5 yet. A shame Yuffie Episode is not for PS4 version.

So the upgrade is free if you own the PS4 version but to soften the blow the DLC will be free if you're buying the ps5 version? If you get the ps5 version and the yuffie episode isnt there that's taking the piss
Not really "free"... the PS5 version is already on PSN for pre order

PS5 costs 80€ (Digital Deluxe is 100€)
PS4 costs 70€

So you could say that you are paying 10€ for that DLC.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wait no DLC for the PS4 version. Fucking seriously Square ?

You divided the story into parts and now I can't event get the full part 1 unless I buy an $800 console ? (That's what it costs here, thx Sony!)
Is this true? If it is then that’s fucking BS! Especially the fact there are lot of people having hard time finding PS5 on store.

Last edited:

Fbh

Is this true? If it is then that’s fucking BS! Especially the fact there are lot of people having hard time finding PS5 on store.

I'm not sure if they have confirmed it but that's how I interpreted the notice saying the chapter can be bought "after upgrading to the Ps5 version".

Otherwise why not just write "Yuffie chapter sold separately" ?

Last edited:

kyussman

Yea,they are going to milk this game till it's teets fall off.
I wonder if anyone will be strong enough to wait for the super duper complete version to launch in 2030,lol.

Looking at these side by sides, I can see a number of differences. I bet there is ray tracing involved in the PS5 version. You can see colored lights affecting the surfaces of more objects. More reflections are getting thrown around. There is new lighting below the table here, and the fern is getting a lot more color as well. In the background you can see a bunch of lights on the other side of the room reflected in the glass as Cloud walks by.

LaX8YNI.jpg

Feel like there are going to be a lot of these improvements to the visuals, on top of having better performance and image quality. Very cool.

Zeeed

Free Upgrade woot
I didn't think it would happen so I didn't buy the PS4 version when it was discounted.
Wonder if it will be discounted again after this announcement? LOL

Having no discount on the PS4 game until June seems a long time...

ranmafan

is there a legal reason for it in Japan? kinda like how I think in Germany they can't give away the equivalent to M rated games for free I believe?

at least they seem to be pricing those upgrade fees as the cheapest option they can on the PlayStation Store
I’m not sure. They actually got rid of the ¥100 yen cero mandated fee for free z rated games on ps plus recently. Now you just have to have a credit card on file, that’s enough to prove you’re an adult now. Which was a good thing cause it was annoying having to always pay that fee. Although it did also mean an extra game for us in Japan for psplus.

no one knows for sure but I’ve heard one reason is there is some consumer protection law of some sort here forcing this. It doesn’t really make sense from what I read, which isn’t surprising as laws in Japan can be very confusing. This happened to no mans sky and borderlands 3 as well. It’s not a deal breaker but it’s insanely annoying having to pay these small fees without a good explaination when the rest of the world gets it for free.

MrMephistoX

Yuffie is cool but it’s kind of hilarious that Red XIII is still sidelined when the excuse was that it wouldn’t make sense to only nclude him in the party until the last 2 hours or so of the game.

Last edited:

Elios83

Hopefully the 4K versions of the trailers will be encoded soon.
In the compressed 1080p it's hard to notice the resolution benefits although it's clear that the they fixed the low res backgrounds, lighting is far more dynamic with more light sources being reflected and loadings are almost instant.
Maybe more details will be unveiled in a PR as well.

vpance

Looking at these side by sides, I can see a number of differences. I bet there is ray tracing involved in the PS5 version. You can see colored lights affecting the surfaces of more objects. More reflections are getting thrown around. There is new lighting below the table here, and the fern is getting a lot more color as well. In the background you can see a bunch of lights on the other side of the room reflected in the glass as Cloud walks by.

LaX8YNI.jpg

Feel like there are going to be a lot of these improvements to the visuals, on top of having better performance and image quality. Very cool.

More dynamic lighting. Maybe bounce light or GI added. I also saw self shadowing on characters.

YukiOnna

Nomura: As I mentioned earlier, I personally have an unprecedented number of projects in the works, including three related to "FFVII". The base gameplay of "FFVII REMAKE" has been solidified with the first game, and I can see what needs to be improved in the future, so I'll leave the director of the next game to Hamaguchi (who is the co-director of "FFVII REMAKE"), and I'll be involved as the overall creative director for "FFVII" including remakes and mobile games. The basic way of working will remain the same, and I look forward to continuing to work. (DeepL)

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Wtf, he isn’t even finishing this project?
He's still on, just moved to Creative Director position. He now oversees everything including the mobile games so it's similar to what he does for KH I guess. Basically FFVII Compilation 2, lol.

Dacon

Banned
As retarded as the story here looks, I appreciate that Yuffie's design is so damn faithful to the original.

Makes me wonder why they couldn't do the same for everyone else, but w/e.

Go_Ly_Dow

Makes sense he's moving to the side a little, as I bet KH4 is hitting the ground running too.

Also S-E nailing this gen. NieR Remake in April, Shinier FF7R + Yuffie in June and FF16 perhaps by Spring 2022. Then Athia, KH4, DQ12, FF7R 2, FF7R 3, NieR sequel, BD2, new switch tactics game and probably a few other projects too.

SNES, PS1 and PS2 gens they were great, PS3 gen was the fall from grace, PS4 the recovery gen and PS5 is shaping to be their return to form. No complaints here.

Ixion

-Really happy to see the textures fixed and the visuals being bumped, all for free. Without the oddly poor textures making the visuals occasionally jarring, that removes one of the fairly significant negatives from the original version.

-Yuffie looking good, and the new dude looks like a solid character to balance her out.

-Don't overlook the inclusion of Classic mode having the Normal difficulty now. Should be good for those who want the game to play closer to the OG, but were disappointed in having to play it on Easy before.

-No idea who Weiss is, but damn that's some spiky ass hair. I guess he'll be a pretty cool optional boss. Could always use more of those to make the endgame period more valuable.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

So if the Yuffie DLC is only available on PS5 does that mean FF7R Part 2 will not be coming to PS4.

Also if you choose not to purchase the Yuffie DLC, does that mean she won't appear in your version of FF7R Part 2 just like how you can complete the original FF7 without Yuffie and Vincent.

Top Bottom