• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake in March PS+, Not eligible for free PS5 upgrade

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'm in the camp that thinks it's pretty lame to not include the ps5 version with the ps+ one. You are essentially already paying (renting, whatever) for the game through plus, what difference does the amount or time make. It certainly isn't Sony's fault as they aren't the publisher but it doesn't change it being any less lame.

Has a single other game that had a ps5 patch on plus not had it work before? I can't think of any.
I don't believe so so far but Bugsnax & Maneater only gave you the PS5 versions despite being cross-buy games

Moomalade74

Banned
So I downloaded the PS Plus version of this game. Had a bit of a play, looks fantastic (never played the original), so I'm thinking, great, I'll buy the full game and get the PS5 upgrade! (the PS4 framerate is scraping my eyeballs).
Problem is, when I go to buy the game, it won't let me, saying I already have it in my library, even though I deleted it.
So, I'm left only with the option of preordering the Intergrade version? That doesn't come out until June. To be honest, I'm so stocked about playing it, I'd preorder that if I thought it would unlock the core game now.

Any suggestions people? Seems like a catch 22 situation!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So I downloaded the PS Plus version of this game. Had a bit of a play, looks fantastic (never played the original), so I'm thinking, great, I'll buy the full game and get the PS5 upgrade! (the PS4 framerate is scraping my eyeballs).
Problem is, when I go to buy the game, it won't let me, saying I already have it in my library, even though I deleted it.
So, I'm left only with the option of preordering the Intergrade version? That doesn't come out until June. To be honest, I'm so stocked about playing it, I'd preorder that if I thought it would unlock the core game now.

Weird, it should allow you to buy the game even if you have it as part of plus freebies. They changed it so you could awhile back.

Go buy a second hand copy off eBay much cheaper than the rip off ps5 version and you’ll get the upgrade for free

Cornbread78

Yeah, just pre-order the Intergrade version of the game, so you can preload it on your PS5. I played through the physical Deluxe version on PS4, but I'm thinking of ordering the full PS5 Digital Deluxe version because I love wasting my hard earned money on great things, lol.

Also, I'm getting waaaay too used to not needing to get up and change discs anymore, so yes, my fat a$$ can stay on the couch for a few extra seconds and I can just switch between games now instead of standing up to change discs.... So far, I've only bought 2 disc games for my PS5/SeX....

Last edited:

mxbison

Contact support maybe so they delete the PS Plus version from your account?

I'm thinking of doing the same, 6 hours in and really enjoying it. Think I might save it for when I get my PS5 and get the new version.

OnionSnake

Banned
If I buy a disc version will I get Intergrade for free, and since i own it digitally through PS+ intergrade should work digitally too?

Moomalade74

Banned
Yeah, just pre-order the Intergrade version of the game, so you can preload it on your PS5. I played through the physical Deluxe version on PS4, but I'm thinking of ordering the full PS5 Digital Deluxe version because I love wasting my hard earned money on great things, lol.

Also, I'm getting waaaay too used to not needing to get up and change discs anymore, so yes, my fat a$$ can stay on the couch for a few extra seconds and I can just switch between games now instead of standing up to change discs.... So far, I've only bought 2 disc games for my PS5/SeX....

Will this allow me to play the core game straight away without the expansion? Seems crazy I'll to wait until June for it to unlock otherwise.

Last edited:

Moomalade74

Banned
Weird, it should allow you to buy the game even if you have it as part of plus freebies. They changed it so you could awhile back.

No, won't allow me to buy the game, says I already have it in my library. I actually want to buy the damn game, irony being, if I hadn't downloaded the free version, I wouldn't be interested in buying it. What a shitshow.

Last edited:
Disk version of the PS4 game? You'll be able to get the PS5 update but not the new DLC content
Why wouldn't a disc owner be able to buy the DLC content? Everything I read made it seem like you simply needed the PS5 version to play the DLC - and since you can install the PS5 version and play that with the PS4 disc, that should allow access to the DLC as well. I think the wording meant that the DLC didn't work with the actual PS4 version (ie what you play on a PS4), not the PS5 upgrade version, which is literally just the PS5 version that the PS4 disc acts as a license check for.

I mean maybe I'm wrong and it has been explicitly stated that the PS5 upgrade from the PS4 disc wont work, but that makes no sense based on how every other PS5 upgrade has worked so far. What about the digital PS4 version? Why would that work but the disc one not?

Andodalf

Banned
No, won't allow me to buy the game, says I already have it in my library. I actually want to buy the damn game, irony being, if I hadn't downloaded the free version, I wouldn't be interested in buying it. What a shitshow.
Yeah buying a game you have with PS+ is a mess. I thought it had a "buy to own" option like Xbox does but If it does it's hard to find I guess

Cornbread78

Will this allow me to play the core game straight away without the expansion? Seems crazy I'll to wait until June for it to unlock otherwise.

I think the only way arout it woukd be to buy the digital deluxe version, or buy a physical disc, which is $50 cheaper:

NinjaBoiX

I’ve got to be honest, I’m the first person to hush down whinging from folk because they already bought the game that is now on PS+, that’s just how it goes sometimes. But this requirement to pay for the FF7 PS5 upgrade if you got it on PS+, but not if you bought it is kind of shady IMO.

The game isn’t “free” on plus, it’s built into the cost of the subscription and each game choice has likely been carefully considered with this in mind. They’re clearly encouraging folk to upgrade by dangling the carrot of now “owning” the game for “free”. I wouldn’t go so far as to call this practice outrageous bullshit, but it certainly seems a petty way to nickel and dime consumers.

If the upgrade is free, then it should be free for all, regardless of how you paid for it. And you did pay for it if you acquired it through a plus sub, like it or not.

TLDR: Sony have deemed the paying Plus subscriber as eligible to own the game (yeah yeah, it’s more of a rental, whatever), there shouldn’t be requirements placed on how you came to own the game.

Last edited:

sojuwarrior

Been playing the free version, but is it normal to see so many NPCs pop-in at the slump even on PS5???
Loving the game otherwise!

Moomalade74

Banned
Just to clarify as I see a number of people suggesting I buy the physical copy. I have a digital only PS5, so that option isn't on the table. Thanks for the feedback though.
And in case I've got my wires crossed, the performance enhanced 60fps option will only be available in June for everybody?
I was under the impression it was already a thing. If I have to wait until June, I'll just hold on and buy the Intergrade version in due course.

Last edited:

Arkam

Oh noes! The poor peoples will have to play the same PS4 version that I played and LOVED! Oh the humanity! The suffering!

Seriously though, would it be cool if they gave away the PS5 upgrade? Yes. But I think we need to get out of this mindset that all games we get (notice I didnt say 'buy") should have a lifetime of support and updates for free. People who do the work have to get paid somehow.

Been playing the free version, but is it normal to see so many NPCs pop-in at the slump even on PS5???
Loving the game otherwise!

Was fairly normal on the PRO (never played it on PS5). Same with textures. And my understanding is that it is due to the way UE4 streams data and that even the (wildly) improved I/O on the PS5 does little to improve this. This is (one of) the major improvements coming in UE5.

Last edited:

Ryuji Goda

Oh noes! The poor peoples will have to play the same PS4 version that I played and LOVED! Oh the humanity! The suffering!

Seriously though, would it be cool if they gave away the PS5 upgrade? Yes. But I think we need to get out of this mindset that all games we get (notice I didnt say 'buy") should have a lifetime of support and updates for free. People who do the work have to get paid somehow.
For free? PS+ costs money bruh

Arkam

For free? PS+ costs money bruh
Where did I say you the game was entirely free? I said "... I think we need to get out of this mindset that all games we get (notice I didnt say 'buy") should have a lifetime of support and updates for free" Unless you are making the case that you PS+ sub is what should cover those updates and support. I said "get" and clarifies (not buy). This leaves the door wide open for things GIVEN as part of a subscription.

Example. I just got my wine club shipment yesterday. I BOUGHT 8 bottles. Because I bought them, they GAVE me a tote bag. Think I can complain when they have a new tote bag design and demand one?

Last edited:

ManaByte

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Who are these people who loves FFVII so much they waited until it went to PS+ and now couldn't wait for the Yuffie DLC so bought the upgrade full price? These people have to be trolls.

Tommi84

I believe this is threadworthy.

At least some decency in Square it seems. Happy for this. I will finally play it

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Got a cheap PS5 copy for INTERMISSION. Not mad cuz it was fire. If this means they're moving forward with what's coming next then... 🤔

Top Bottom