• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Stranger of Paradise | Reveal Trailer

Javthusiast

Banned
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

It's not even that though, the fact that Nomura can't come up with better male designs is appaling.

Dvidus

Wow. The trailer doesn’t do the gameplay justice at all. I had so much fun for just a demo.
Great move on Square Enix to release a demo. Turned me around completely. I’m hyped for this, even though I think it should be a little more vibrant. Not in a Kingdom Hearts way, maybe more in an FF7R way. Dunno. Surroundings were a little bland. Garland/Chaos? Was a blast to fight.

Shaukdotdj

It has potential but honestly just judging from the slice of content in the demo, I'm underwhelmed. Visually, it fucking hurts my eyes. What the hell ps3 game did they steal these graphics from?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
game has easy mode, so this is no longer a "soulslike" game. IMOO Hard mode is the true Nioh gameplay.

those who want an easy mode in a "souls" game finally got their wish. though rewards do scale with difficulty. this is a nice way to balance it.

this game has achieved the "thinking about it when not playing it". FFT was the last in the franchise to give this feeling. I'm sold. looking forward to this more than FF16.

IDC, I'm getting Vincent, Cecil and Auron.
just put the game in the most difficult setting edgelord nobody cares

Has anyone even been able to beat Chaos on Normal, let alone Hard?

This game is hard as balls
I got close on normal, but was getting frustrated, so I thought I'd put it on easy.

I found out that you can't do that in-game. I tried the home screen and then realized selecting "Continue" starts you back at the start.

So, no, I haven't beaten him at all. I'm definitely going to go through it again.

I hope they lean into the Final Fantasy a bit more in the final game. The Souls-like gameplay and level design is awesome, but I want jobs that look like classic Final Fantasy jobs and music that leans more into FF music. The FF1 music is there a bit, but it's almost unrecognizable.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Just managed to beat "Chaos?". I died like 50 times but I finally got the hang of it. FYI you can use the water spell to interrupt his fire sword and the fire spell to interrupt his ice sword (although the ice sword requires 2 hits from the fire spell).

I loved the gameplay but I hated the graphics to a point my eyes were hurting. It looks like an early PS3 game or worse, resolution definitely feels like less than 720p, it's absolutely horrible. I hope they can sort this out by launch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If they are running the same playbook as the Nioh games, this will be the first of several demos with substantial changes and improvements to the gameplay between them.
Because getting the feel of the gameplay right is the point of the test, the graphics will no doubt improve significantly and I suspect its telling that they are offering it just on PS5 initially -evidently its not a PS5 native title so they must have not even started optimizing it for the last gen hardware yet.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ya'll are making me want to download this demo

CHAOS overload incoming

april6e

Came away really impressed actually. They just need to improve the graphics/dialogue/story and completely redo the main character design and this could be pretty good. Core gameplay is quite good as a mix between Nioh and Dark Souls.

YukiOnna

If they are running the same playbook as the Nioh games, this will be the first of several demos with substantial changes and improvements to the gameplay between them.
Because getting the feel of the gameplay right is the point of the test, the graphics will no doubt improve significantly and I suspect its telling that they are offering it just on PS5 initially -evidently its not a PS5 native title so they must have not even started optimizing it for the last gen hardware yet.
Yeah, if this is following the Nioh format and this being the Pre-Alpha/Alpha demo, the game is going to change significantly (usually for the better) on the gameplay side of things. It's good the reception is positive on this front for their first demo.

KingT731

Wow. The trailer doesn’t do the gameplay justice at all. I had so much fun for just a demo.
Great move on Square Enix to release a demo. Turned me around completely. I’m hyped for this, even though I think it should be a little more vibrant. Not in a Kingdom Hearts way, maybe more in an FF7R way. Dunno. Surroundings were a little bland. Garland/Chaos? Was a blast to fight.
This was exactly my thoughts while streaming the game earlier. "The trailer doesn't do the game justice." The default controls are horrible though.

Ixion

Just beat Garland after dying a thousand times, which shows how much fun the gameplay is if I'm willing to put up with all that...

• The combat is very fast and responsive, and there's a lot of depth, including how you can build and progress your character.
  • Love the Doom/God of War execution system, which adds some extra satisfaction, but I would prefer if they add some controller rumble when attacking in general to give the combat some extra weight.
  • Magic is handled in a very intuitive way.
  • I like the whole dark/gothic vibe of the environments and enemies, but obviously the graphics just need to be significantly improved.
  • Music was pretty cool. A solid mix of orchestral/electronic/rock.
  • Storywise, the demo doesn't provide much. I thought the english voice acting was alright. The three main characters definitely feel very contrived in order to appeal to all the demographics, but ultimately the main character is something a bit different for FF and he fits the style.

So yeah, turns out the trailer was just oddly edited. The entire prologue has less "chaos" mentions than the 1-minute long trailer, and the gameplay is already pretty damn fun. And since this is slated for 2022, the final release should be on another level.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm confused why they had to make two type of parries on two different buttons. Couldn't be just one?

Like for MH series there's always this feeling of clunky over elaborated movements and controls for the sake of it. You can do the same stuff with half the buttons with some effort in designing it. cmon 😅

Last edited:

Silvawuff

SE the publisher? Why don't you look at the developer?

Or read the thread AFTER people started playing the demo and the mob overreaction mentality subsided.
Demo looks like dog shit? Who cares who the developer is. If anything, you should expect better based on TN's pedigree. "Mob overreaction" or fair criticism?

The onus is on SE to not release stuff like this if it's not ready to shine.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Demo looks like dog shit? Who cares who the developer is. If anything, you should expect better based on TN's pedigree. "Mob overreaction" or fair criticism?

Its a last-gen title, and anyone with a lick of sense knows how its likely to turn out because its running on the Nioh2 engine, the PS5 and PC versions of which were published this year.

The demo is awesome, wtf are you talking about? Be honest, you didn't play it.

Amiga

Beat it on hard. had to make use of different skills. War Cry+patience kept me alive. saved potions for emergencies. buff's cancel each other out so only used damage buff on full health. got the hang of dodge to save the stamina for counter hits. made sure to keep health over 70% because he could end you in one tackle+hit.

the counter mechanic is the biggest difference with Nioh. I hope they don't nerf it.

Demo seemed really good, very polished mechanics. Honestly my complaints are that there are almost TOO many mechanics, and they aren't always explained very well, so I can tell it will take a good amount of playing for the game to "click." Though this is a complaint that will work itself out once I am playing the actual game and not a demo that I won't put much time into.

One thing I noticed is that I was terrible at judging the distance enemies were from me, so I whiffed way too much. Something that will get better with more playtime and I get more of a feel for the range, but I also think it is a product of them having the enemies constantly stay just out of reach, which is kind of annoying lol.

Oh, and I honestly can't stand games where the mechanics are that the enemies never stagger when normally attacking, so that is kind of a disappointment..... but overall the game is definitely solid and I can see people who are fans of this genre loving it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did they call the main protag Jack because he's a "Jack of all trades"?

Shubh_C63

Yeah I just saw the gameplay and this game looks good combat wise.

I mean...atleast people got to know about this because of Chaos!

caffeware

Banned
Nomura: Jack's initial outfit is to show he's not a resident of this world, and it's also lacking in character. A simple state just like games where you can change a lot of equipment.

Nomura: As a concept, there was the idea that these shouldn't at all bring to mind what you think of with the Warriors of Light who took down Garland in FF1. Jack and co may have the same mission to defeat Chaos, but it was absolutely necessary they give the impression of being 'completely different from the Warriors of Light'.

Interviewer: You wanted them to have a feel of not being hero-like?

Nomura: Yes. There is nothing other than narrative intent for Jack's appearance. Also, Jack and co's names have meanings, but those are spoilers so we'll talk about them some other time.

Nomura: Jack and Ash and Jed’s [names] have the same meaning included in them.

Interviewer: By the way, there were 4 warriors of light, are there party members outside of Ash and Jed?

Nomura: There are others.

Inoue: But there can only be 3 party members in battle, so you have to switch them out and fight.

Interviewer: The key visual with Jack is bloody, there’s a dark taste not seen in FF before.

Nomura: As the first teaser, there’s an importance placed on the impact. The age rating (17+ in Japan) will be higher than before for FF, there’s quite a severe atmosphere. Based on FF’s image colour of white, and the impressive red crystals and spurts of blood seen in the game, because this game is “The story of an angry man”, it also expresses a dark emotion.

Interviewer: So the “Being that will become Chaos’ in the throne room is Garland… or maybe not?!

Nomura: That’s a spoiler, but look forward to finding out in the full game.

Then the team talk about the gameplay:

Fujihara: Nomura had long had the concept of “capturing a location” and we decided to put in the hardcore “story of a angry man” story Nomura had been warmed up.

Inoue: Also we wanted to challenge Team Ninja, which were worked together with on Dissidia, to make a new game. And because Team Ninja is good at action games, with their know-how it was decided to make it an action RPG.

Nomura: What I imagined is, something that is FF but also not necessarily with the FF title, so we came up with the completely new title “Stranger of Paradise”, that has as its core dungeon attack gameplay.

Inoue: We have prepared some surprising developments for this game’s story, and while I want to be able to play with a high tempo, I thought we need to convey the story properly since it’s a RPG, I’m very particular about that balance.

Inoue also says the team don’t want to make it as difficult as games like Sekiro or Dark Souls since this would limit the appeal, but the intention is for the game to still be high difficulty. They also want people who like action to come into contact with FF. Inoue specifies the difference from the ultra-high-difficulty games are the penalty for death is lesser, and there’s an easy mode for people to try out and move up the difficulty. He says further tweaks will be made based on the feedback from the demo.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Ok I must apologize for trashing this trailer, the demo is actually very fun. It is still the worst trailer I have seen in ages and does the actual gameplay no justice at all.

The music is also amazing and the combat is swift and intuitive I also love the job and class system. You can swap on the fly gear and abilities. Reminds me of macro swapping gear in FFXI. I PRAY their is some sort of story to back up this amazing gameplay. The graphics are also very early.. was a great idea to drop this demo considering that god awful trailer.

KàIRóS

So I finally got the time and finished the demo, and damn, It's so good, grinding levels is just so much fun, having 2 party members in a Soulslike is pretty unique, I wonder if you will be able to change their loadouts or tactics in the final game, their AI as expected is pretty dumb but then again this is a super early demo so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that front and it's not like it will be a dealbreaker when it comes Soulslikes, the combat is obviously good ol' Nioh with a Final Fantasy twist, really liked playing as a Mage/Black Mage and I'm still grinding to get the Lancer and Dragoon jobs fully leveled up.

Music is fire, choosing Naoshi Mizuta as the composer was the right choice.

Design...ehh yeah it's awful, everything is super dark and uninspired, character models are ok but obviously we expect better from Final Fantasy at least the armor and clothing looks cool

The Ninja Gaiden opening chest animation as always is a welcome addition xD

I also participated on the survey, I had fun and I'm looking forward to this game in the future hopefully they'll change the stuff that obviously everyone didn't like, but gameplay was really good.

YukiOnna

Don't holdout much hope on the AI. The rare times you had an NPC join you in Nioh 2 wasn't exactly stellar, but make sure you make it known on the survey since Yasuda's team does listen.

martino

i've tried the demo it's ugly as fuck, framerate is all over the place and da is bad and even problematic for gameplay (like too light missing interior you see shit) but this mix ffXV / nioh with job is really cool to play imo

Top Bottom