• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster |OT| Great Games Released on the Wrong Platforms

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
About half way through Final Fantasy II now. This version is quite a bit easier than the PSP release. It's significantly easier than the original NES release.

I couldn't tell so much with the first game, but with this game it's very obvious how they've tweaked the leveling curve, as it were.

Over on Resetera, they posted some font mods. Just copy both files in the zip into the /FINAL FANTASY DATA/streamingassets/ folder.

Mystic Quest
Chrono Trigger/FF3us

The following screenshots I took using the Mystic Quest font, which I feel fits FF1-3 the best. I'm saving the CT font for FF6 when it comes out.

8QoceUH.jpg
nSEOfyw.jpg
p0Lz01t.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it worth getting the Pixel Remaster of FF4 if you have the PSP version?
Final Fantasy IV that's part of this collection - it hasn't been released yet.

But going by the other games in this collection: probably not. The PSP has the post-game interlude section as well as The After Years (neither of which will be included in this version). This version is also based on the original SFC game, so it'll be missing a lot of stuff that was included in the updated PSP release. This includes the post-game dungeons and optional bosses, as well as the party switching mechanic for the final dungeon that lets you swap out characters for Yang, Cid, Edward, Palom, or Porom. Graphically it'll be much closer to the original game (as most games in this collection are based on the 4 or 5 art style), which many would consider a downgrade over the PSP.

The only thing this version might have going for it, based on the games released so far, is that the music will probably be vastly superior to the PSP version.

jshackles

tQdWQra.png

Second game finished.

Unconfirmed release dates of the rest of the games:

Final Fantasy IV - August 19th
Final Fantasy V - September 9th
Final Fantasy VI - September 30th

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
tQdWQra.png

Second game finished.

Unconfirmed release dates of the rest of the games:

Final Fantasy IV - August 19th
Final Fantasy V - September 9th
Final Fantasy VI - September 30th

What are your thoughts so far? Worthy of a purchase? Or completely skippable?

jshackles

What are your thoughts so far? Worthy of a purchase? Or completely skippable?
Absolutely worth purchasing, especially if you're a fan of the series (which I know you are!)

I think this version of 2 is my favorite release of the game yet. While the PSP version of 2 previously held that spot, I personally prefer the graphic style of this release to that one.

PSP:
iu

Pixel Remaster:
iu

Although - the first thing I did was replace the awful font with the one Monado Blade Monado Blade posted above (which helped dramatically). I really like the character sprites in this version better than the PSP ones. Even though the PSP ones are much more detailed, they have this kind of curved arm / LEGO man thing going on with them that looks kinda weird to me. Also the round face with eyes and no mouth thing looks okay in pixel form, but blown up to that scale it just looks creepy.

The music in this version is VASTLY superior. Just listen to this shit:

and compare it with it's counterpart in the PSP release (which is still decent, but sounds like a cheap knockoff now):

The original is still surprisingly good for a NES track

But of those three, the pixel remaster version is just amazing.

I couldn't find a Youtube link, but the Castle Pandamonium track is my favorite of all in this release. Timestamped:

Just incredible.

The "leveling" curve, as it were is also updated in this release and I feel like it was far more forgiving than the PSP version of the game. ie I didn't find myself hitting my own characters to raise their stats (except for at the very beginning of the game) and I felt like the stat progression was pretty natural throughout and I didn't hit any major difficulty spikes. Grinding was minimal, and mostly just done at the end of the game so I could find that damn Iron Giant to get the bestiary complete achievement.

I have no doubt that the third game will be amazing as well.

Last edited:

jshackles

6SJVOxW.png

Let's go.......

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely worth purchasing, especially if you're a fan of the series (which I know you are!)

I think this version of 2 is my favorite release of the game yet. While the PSP version of 2 previously held that spot, I personally prefer the graphic style of this release to that one.

PSP:
iu

Pixel Remaster:
iu

Although - the first thing I did was replace the awful font with the one Monado Blade Monado Blade posted above (which helped dramatically). I really like the character sprites in this version better than the PSP ones. Even though the PSP ones are much more detailed, they have this kind of curved arm / LEGO man thing going on with them that looks kinda weird to me. Also the round face with eyes and no mouth thing looks okay in pixel form, but blown up to that scale it just looks creepy.

The music in this version is VASTLY superior. Just listen to this shit:

and compare it with it's counterpart in the PSP release (which is still decent, but sounds like a cheap knockoff now):

The original is still surprisingly good for a NES track

But of those three, the pixel remaster version is just amazing.

I couldn't find a Youtube link, but the Castle Pandamonium track is my favorite of all in this release. Timestamped:

Just incredible.

The "leveling" curve, as it were is also updated in this release and I feel like it was far more forgiving than the PSP version of the game. ie I didn't find myself hitting my own characters to raise their stats (except for at the very beginning of the game) and I felt like the stat progression was pretty natural throughout and I didn't hit any major difficulty spikes. Grinding was minimal, and mostly just done at the end of the game so I could find that damn Iron Giant to get the bestiary complete achievement.

I have no doubt that the third game will be amazing as well.

Three is definitely the one I am most interested in as we never got an official port of it in the west. Only ever the remake.

Still waiting on a console release, even if it was digital for PS4/PS5 (as I want the trophies to add to my ever growing FF franchise Trophy list!)

tsumake

ive bought FFIV like 6? Times? Lol and ya, I’ll be getting it again. It’s like part of my childhood, so they got me by the balls.

My first rpg was FF4 (FF2 snes). There’s some serious nostalgia going for me. BUT, I’ll probably wait for a sale one the iOS version. I’m currently playing the PSP version on the Vita and that’ll do for now.

Skelterz

When the fuck are they releasing this shit for consoles I wanna play this on my TV with like trophy support and stuff jeez square suck atm.

jshackles

Game is getting review-bombed on Metacritic by users not happy that this is exclusive to PC and phones.

Square Enix definitively knows people are thirsty for this on consoles. It'll come.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Its actually released on the correct platform.
Because the fanbase that actually gives a fuck about the state of it can easily mod the games on pc.

like unfuck the font
And fix the janky ass framerate.

i did both and now the ports are actually good..

i do miss the added GBA content
And i rather play FF1&2 on psp but with the audio from the sprite remasters

Last edited:

FStubbs

Game is getting review-bombed on Metacritic by users not happy that this is exclusive to PC and phones.

Square Enix definitively knows people are thirsty for this on consoles. It'll come.
I think the developer side doesn't WANT it to come to consoles because they know it will do well, which will invalidate the direction the series is going in.

recursive

Because the fanbase that actually gives a fuck about the state of it can easily mod the games on pc.

like unfuck the font

The font sucks. I need to unfuck it too. Which mod did you use?

like unfuck the font

Indeed. The ports are good, but they have a few rough edges like the horrible font and the awful framerate pacing at 60 FPS. Thankfully the community fixed these issues.

I'm using these mods (Discord: https://discord.com/invite/bSnpVBV)
  • Silver Font
  • Pixel PS Buttons
  • Subtle Autobattle (hides fast forward icon)
  • Gold/Yellow Border Removal (turns black the small golden borders when playing the game in ultrawide resolutions)
  • Uncap Framerate
51380551144_488688ddc1_o.png

51380822890_9ebcbcfbf2_o.png

51380053708_28a2c3e387_o.png

51379049902_9bf62af808_o.png

51380551159_bd721b3ed7_o.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ohyeah i forgot to state it supports 21:9
Really surprised me.

those pixel buttons looks lovely!

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Did SE ever addressed the fact that these games don't include the extra content that was developed throughout the years? I believe FF1 had extra content in the GBA version. FF4 had lots of extra content in the PSP version.

Was it because they wanted these games to be remasters of the originals, and have exactly the same content the originals had? If that is it, that seems like a strange reason to me. FF1 could really have used the extra content. It's pretty short and easy.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Did SE ever addressed the fact that these games don't include the extra content that was developed throughout the years? I believe FF1 had extra content in the GBA version. FF4 had lots of extra content in the PSP version.

Was it because they wanted these games to be remasters of the originals, and have exactly the same content the originals had? If that is it, that seems like a strange reason to me. FF1 could really have used the extra content. It's pretty short and easy.
No keep your bastardized psp versions on psp.

I’ve played through 1 and 2 now and these are great! Just info QOL features to make it not a chore but clean enough to not take away from the original feel.

It’s kind of funny that FF2 really set all the classic pieces for the series to come yet was never officially released on the west until now.

starting 3 tonight!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Do you think they'll update the game and add an option for a better font or no?
They’ll release a “definitive edition” for Switch in a couple years that includes new fonts, then later port that back to the original platforms and sell it as a separate full-priced game that’s incompatible with the original

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So I just finished FF I with Fighter/Thief/Black Belt/Red Mage and it was EASY. Chaos was the only boss that was even remotely challenging. I don’t think I ever cast a single spell or do anything but “attack” in a non-boss fight.

was the original this easy? It’s been so long I really don’t remember.

Labadal

So I just finished FF I with Fighter/Thief/Black Belt/Red Mage and it was EASY. Chaos was the only boss that was even remotely challenging. I don’t think I ever cast a single spell or do anything but “attack” in a non-boss fight.

was the original this easy? It’s been so long I really don’t remember.
The three pixel remasters are all easier than the originals.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Saying that these look better than the PSP versions is crazy.
On the other hand, I listened to the music arrangements and those are fire. Best ever version of FF 1-3 music, hands down. I hope they did the same fantastic work for 4-6 too.

I’ll probably get 3 down the line (I’d much prefer it on console, though) for obvious reasons.

No keep your bastardized psp versions on psp.

I’ve played through 1 and 2 now and these are great! Just info QOL features to make it not a chore but clean enough to not take away from the original feel.

It’s kind of funny that FF2 really set all the classic pieces for the series to come yet was never officially released on the west until now.

starting 3 tonight!
Final Fantasy 2 was released like 20 years ago on the PlayStation in a collection called 'Final Fantasy Origins'.

bit_blaster

Neo Member
Saying that these look better than the PSP versions is crazy.
On the other hand, I listened to the music arrangements and those are fire. Best ever version of FF 1-3 music, hands down. I hope they did the same fantastic work for 4-6 too.

I’ll probably get 3 down the line (I’d much prefer it on console, though) for obvious reasons.
Personally I'm not a fan of the PSP versions art, something about it feels like a cheap mobile game or a fan game made in RPG Maker XP.

I think the more pixel/blocky look of these remasters captures the charm of the older games better.

jaysius

Banned
Jesus those fonts are fucking awful, I’m glad users have stepped up and modded them, why couldn’t Squeenix take the time to add these options to the release? The fonts are a huge part of the game, the way these ship they look like awful games made for mobile with those generic fonts.

Last edited:

Starhowl

I don't know anything about Apple TV. Does it play iPhone games? Seeing as the mobile versions don't support controllers (still pissed), I'd guess no.
That's the funny thing about the Apple community: No one knows pretty much anything. You have to buy it, to find out! 😉😉😉😉😉😉...

🤮

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

If compatible with apple tv it will show in app store on the apple tv。If not then you can airplay but these do not use controller on phone so pointless to airplay。Some touch games playable with siri remote trackpad but then as said the game would show in apple tv app store。

clem84

Gold Member
What would you say is the best party in FF1?

Black belts hit harder throughout the game, but they have weaker defense. If you had a party with 2 or 3 black belts, defense and healing would definitely become a problem. Fighters don't hit quite as hard but they have good defense which makes it that defense is never a problem for them.

Mages are effective but their usability is limited, they have to recharge. Their spells also cost a lot throughout the adventure, whereas fighters can keep being highly effective for longer periods of time. I would argue the usefulness of a black mage is almost completely nullified by having multiple fighters/black belts.

White mages I feel are a must. During tough battles against bosses, you need a way to quickly heal one or multiple characters. You could technically have a party without a white mage and beat the game, but they're so darn useful.

IMO the following is the best party:

Fighter - Fighter - Black belt - White Mage.

The two fighters will take most of the hits and withstand them because of their high defense. Black belt will be a heavy hitter with weaker defense, and white mage will keep everyone healthy.

4 fighters would also definitely work. Higher defense and attack power and you just need potions to stay healthy.

3 fighters and a white mage would also work quite well.

Wadda ya think?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What would you say is the best party in FF1?

Black belts hit harder throughout the game, but they have weaker defense. If you had a party with 2 or 3 black belts, defense and healing would definitely become a problem. Fighters don't hit quite as hard but they have good defense which makes it that defense is never a problem for them.

Mages are effective but their usability is limited, they have to recharge. Their spells also cost a lot throughout the adventure, whereas fighters can keep being highly effective for longer periods of time. I would argue the usefulness of a black mage is almost completely nullified by having multiple fighters/black belts.

White mages I feel are a must. During tough battles against bosses, you need a way to quickly heal one or multiple characters. You could technically have a party without a white mage and beat the game, but they're so darn useful.

IMO the following is the best party:

Fighter - Fighter - Black belt - White Mage.

The two fighters will take most of the hits and withstand them because of their high defense. Black belt will be a heavy hitter with weaker defense, and white mage will keep everyone healthy.

4 fighters would also definitely work. Higher defense and attack power and you just need potions to stay healthy.

3 fighters and a white mage would also work quite well.

Wadda ya think?
With no black magic you are missing out on haste and temper, meaning your attackers are not reaching their full potential.

I went with Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, and Red Mage.

That way you have 2 members who can cast haste and temper (ninja learns those). Only real glaring weakness is you have no full-party healing ability, but you can live without it.

Top Bottom