• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX (PS4) |OT| The Place I'll Return To Someday

Brizzo24

Does IX feature an overworld like VII?
Also, is there an airship, and if so do you get to physically fly it or do you enter coordinants and appear at your destination?

Schneider

Also, is there an airship, and if so do you get to physically fly it or do you enter coordinants and appear at your destination?

Yes there is an overworld, and yes there is a airship you can physically fly like ff7, with the option of flying to locations previously visited on autopilot

My gf used to play this game with her father as a kid. I kinda want to replay it with her but this version seems a bit meh. I have two original game copies, ntsc and pal, they won't work in the ps4 yeah? But they should be fine in a regular pal ps3, for the original pal at least? She doesn't care for trophies and such.

Edit: Granted, maybe a ps1 game would look a bit grainy on a hdtv anyway? Suggests this ps4 version is better after all?

well it will look like shit on an HDTV.. and you'll be running at 50hz on PAL.. at a slower frame rate.
But if those things don't annoy you i'd say do that.

Widge

Same structure as all the PSone FF games. It has an intriguing intro where it is quite a considerable amount of time until you see your first XP gain screen, but you never begrudge it as the storytelling is so good within this part.

Airship doesn't come for quite some time into the game. Like FFVII in that respect I suppose. Overworld is there, some good fun to be had in the chocobo forests.

Brizzo24

Yes there is an overworld, and yes there is a airship you can physically fly like ff7, with the option of flying to locations previously visited on autopilot

Thanks for clarifying. I played X, and enjoyed the new direction the game took on the PS2, but I missed the overworld and airship... things you did in every single FF leading up to X.

I'll have to check out IX. I've always heard great things.

So I did the cotton robe trick in Lindblum. I bought 99 Wrists in Dali and used all of them.

When can I get to Dali again to get more Wrists? Should I buy 99 Steepled Hats before leaving Lindblum?

IIRC you can get back to Dali again soon, but not to Lindblum at that time. So could I stockpile those Hats, then buy the Wrists and do the synthesis at Treno or something? Does the Treno synthesis shop let me make a Cotton Robe?

FinalAres

Thanks for clarifying. I played X, and enjoyed the new direction the game took on the PS2, but I missed the overworld and airship... things you did in every single FF leading up to X.

I'll have to check out IX. I've always heard great things.

Oh my god. You've never played IX? I'm SO JEALOUS.

Please for the love of God get on that asap.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Got the Clean Bill of Health trophy last night and it's apparently even rarer than Movie Critic. This kind of surprises me since it's actually a pretty easy trophy. Everything but Virus, Doom, and Gradual Petrify you can just cast on yourself and the others you've likely happened upon already.

SilverArrow20XX

Blagh. I forgot to teach Eiko Boost before I synthed a Pumice out of my Pumice Pieces. Now the only way I can learn it is to steal one from Ozma (0.39% and then I have to win, which is 99% luck), or synth one with my hammer and lose the extended ending.

I never even knew about the extended ending before this playthrough. I always made the Tin Armor.

Hmmm. I might just beat him, then reset and use cheats while trying to steal.

Edit: Lol. First attempt. He uses Meteor immediately followed by Curse and wipes me before I get a turn. Second attempt, I steal the Pumice Piece on my first try and win after watching Ozma repeatedly cast Lv4 Holy on Zidane who has 100% Holy damage reduction. Did I get crazy lucky with that steal or is Master Thief really that good?

Currently 60 hours in with Zidane at level 80 and everybody has mastered all abilities. All I have left to do on this playthrough is grind to 99, kill 10k enemies, and win 100 unique Tetra Master games. This time I'm definitely getting that Excalibur II card that I gave up on last time.

Zetta

Blagh. I forgot to teach Eiko Boost before I synthed a Pumice out of my Pumice Pieces. Now the only way I can learn it is to steal one from Ozma (0.39% and then I have to win, which is 99% luck), or synth one with my hammer and lose the extended ending.

I never even knew about the extended ending before this playthrough. I always made the Tin Armor.

Edit: Lol. First attempt. He uses Meteor immediately followed by Curse and wipes me before I get a turn. Second attempt, I steal the Pumice Piece on my first try and win after watching Ozma repeatedly cast Lv4 Holy on Zidane who has 100% Holy damage reduction. Did I get crazy lucky with that steal or is Master Thief really that good?

Quickly go play the lotto lol. I remember spending hours trying to get one from him when I did the exact same thing you did with Eiko.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Currently 60 hours in with Zidane at level 80 and everybody has mastered all abilities. All I have left to do on this playthrough is grind to 99, kill 10k enemies, and win 100 unique Tetra Master games. This time I'm definitely getting that Excalibur II card that I gave up on last time.

Master Thief makes the 1/256 steals 1/8.
It's that good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yes yes and yes to all three questions.
Overworld, airship and manual flying.

Also. FFIX has quite probably the most charming overworld in these type of games, tons of things to do just in the overworld besides just going from one place to another. It looks so good and the music is just to die for.

Minor game play spoiler.
There is a very big, almost entire-game size encompassing side quest which has you using a chocobo to find treasure on the overworld. This quest will also let yo upgrade your chocobo to be able to run over mountains, water and eventually straight up fly. This is also the way you can fight the game's hardest optional super-boss.

Man. Every time I post in this topic, I feel like starting a new game. FFIX is one of those rare games for me which you want to re-play over and over again.

SilverArrow20XX

So who should I have on my team if I wanna just do big fucking numbers?

Big damage.

Can't go wrong with Steiner + Vivi. Nuke spam + Sword Magic spam = big damage. Last spot's up in the air. Quina and Freya can both do pretty good damage and have some healing ability as well. Amarant's a good power house, but then you may be in trouble when you need heals. Eiko and Garnet both have summons, but they're not very good (like, half the damage Viv will be doing) unless you farm gems to power them up or have the end game summons. Eiko is a bit better as a healer with Esuna and Full-Life. Garnet can do a bit better DPS.

Thank goodness for double speed. It’s way too slow for battling on normal. Like tediously slow. It’s a bit too fast for exploring however. Weird they speed the cutscenes up if you have it set. Not liking the battle UI. It’s way too big and covers a lot of the screen.

I had fond memories of FFIX from back in the day but playing it again I’m not sure it’s all that great as I remember it. I think VII holds up much better actually.

Just hit 500 on the jump rope for the first time ever. I'm not moving on until I get that trophy.

Not playing any other game either.

My previous best was 210.

Ricker

I loved this game so much...I never got tired of making Freya jump off screen in the air to drop down on the next turn,with the awesome battle theme pounding away hehe...and that OST...

Can't go wrong with Steiner + Vivi. Nuke spam + Sword Magic spam = big damage. Last spot's up in the air. Quina and Freya can both do pretty good damage and have some healing ability as well. Amarant's a good power house, but then you may be in trouble when you need heals. Eiko and Garnet both have summons, but they're not very good (like, half the damage Viv will be doing) unless you farm gems to power them up or have the end game summons. Eiko is a bit better as a healer with Esuna and Full-Life. Garnet can do a bit better DPS.

To add to this, specifically for Quina and Freya, I would lean more towards Quina. Quina has a reliable, low-cost 9999 damage move in Frog Drop, can heal status effects on the entire party with Angel's Snack, and has a moderately-useful heal spell with White Wind. Freya also has a reliable 9999 move in Dragon's Crest, but it costs more MP to use and Freya has no way of lowering the cost. Freya also becomes a bit of a one-trick pony near the end since Jump sees less and less use near the end-game until you get High Jump.

Murkas

To add to this, specifically for Quina and Freya, I would lean more towards Quina. Quina has a reliable, low-cost 9999 damage move in Frog Drop, can heal status effects on the entire party with Angel's Snack, and has a moderately-useful heal spell with White Wind. Freya also has a reliable 9999 move in Dragon's Crest, but it costs more MP to use and Freya has no way of lowering the cost. Freya also becomes a bit of a one-trick pony near the end since Jump sees less and less use near the end-game until you get High Jump.

Cool, I'll probably go Quina, Amarant, and either Vivi or Steiner and have Quina as semi healer.

Quina too adorable to not have in my team tbh.

SilverArrow20XX

Just got the "It's All in the Cards III" trophy. It popped after I beat the first guy in the Treno Stadium. I'm pretty sure I played everybody in the world other than the stadium and my only previous wins before starting were the 3 from the story tournament. There's 9 Stadium people I haven't played yet, so that means there's a cozy 106 possible opponents on Disc 4.

Now to finish my card collection.

Cool, I'll probably go Quina, Amarant, and either Vivi or Steiner and have Quina as semi healer.

Quina too adorable to not have in my team tbh.

You really need Vivi AND Steiner to bring out Steiner's max damage. He can't use sword magic unless Vivi's also in the party. If you're only using one, definitely go with Vivi.

Edit: Whoo! Got the Excalibur II card pretty quickly. It actually took me a lot longer to get Fenrir. On my last playthrough I beat Weapon Master Hunt over 100 times and never even saw it. This time it appeared on my second game, then he bullshitted his way to victory with rigged RNG. Two games later it appeared again and I got it. It's stats were way lower this time unfortunately, but since I'm done with Tetra master forever it doesn't matter.

Now all I have left is grinding to 99, 10k enemies, and beating the game. Then I'm gonna cheat my ass off to speed run to the Excalibur II.

Zetta

Just reach the
Black Mage Village
and to this day this place still depresses me, even with its upbeat theme.

SilverArrow20XX

Just hit level 99. Really wish Playstation trophies had progress trackers like Xbox and Steam. I have no idea how much longer I have to 10k. I heard an estimate that it'd take about 10 hours at turbo speed with auto battle against 3 enemies every single time.

I noticed 0.8% of players have gotten Excalibur II. That's very surprising. Only 0.4% got the Gastro Fork. This kind of boggles my mind.

Jeels

Are there trophy guides out yet...Someone needs to come up with a cheap/easy way for jump rope and also a guide that highlights all the potential missables (active time events, etc)

FinalAres

Are there trophy guides out yet...Someone needs to come up with a cheap/easy way for jump rope and also a guide that highlights all the potential missables (active time events, etc)
The steam guides are excellent and talk you through the requirements step by step, like a walk-through. I assume it's the same trophies?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just hit level 99. Really wish Playstation trophies had progress trackers like Xbox and Steam. I have no idea how much longer I have to 10k. I heard an estimate that it'd take about 10 hours at turbo speed with auto battle against 3 enemies every single time.

I noticed 0.8% of players have gotten Excalibur II. That's very surprising. Only 0.4% got the Gastro Fork. This kind of boggles my mind.

I can kind of see that for Excalibur II, all the cheats make it easier to get through in under 12 hours.
Turn off the random encounters, turn on the speed, and make everyone hit for 9999. Trophies still work for when these are on. It's the cheats in the Config menu that disable them.

Getting the Gastro Fork takes a lot longer. You need to catch 99 frogs and beat Quale. The frogs take forever to respawn, even if you leave 2-3 of them.

I can kind of see that for Excalibur II, all the cheats make it easier to get through in under 12 hours.
Turn off the random encounters, turn on the speed, and make everyone hit for 9999. Trophies still work for when these are on. It's the cheats in the Config menu that disable them.

Getting the Gastro Fork takes a lot longer. You need to catch 99 frogs and beat Quale. The frogs take forever to respawn, even if you leave 2-3 of them.

There's a great walkthrough that goes through the game and highlights good times to go back to swamps to catch frogs. I followed it and got the Gastro Fork around disc 3.

SilverArrow20XX

Yeah. I had gone through each of the Marshes twice by disc 4, and then it just took 2 more sweeps that I just did after doing some sidequests and I was done.

New personal best, 770 jumps...
Damn...
I thought this was going to be the one.

Edit:

Yesssss!!!!
King_of_Jump_Rope.jpg

SilverArrow20XX

New personal best, 770 jumps...
Damn...
I thought this was going to be the one.

Edit:

Yesssss!!!!
King_of_Jump_Rope.jpg

Nice. Was about to say. You pretty much already had it getting well passed 300. Sucks losing just 4 short of 2000 though lol. It's harder to keep that concentration when you know you don't actually need it anymore.

Nice. Was about to say. You pretty much already had it getting well passed 300. Sucks losing just 4 short of 2000 though lol. It's harder to keep that concentration when you know you don't actually need it anymore.
I almost had a heart attack when I was at 970. My sight started getting blurry.
Once I noticed I was beyond the thousand mark, I just relaxed and yes, I was aiming for 2000 and failed, lol.

I think lightning dodging in FF X was more annoying. And the platinum also was very though to get, with filling all of the sphere grids.

I feel much better about my chances with FF IX now that I got this trophy out of the way.

SilverArrow20XX

I almost had a heart attack when I was at 970. My sight started getting blurry.
Once I noticed I was beyond the thousand mark, I just relaxed and yes, I was aiming for 2000 and failed, lol.

I think lightning dodging in FF X was more annoying. And the platinum also was very though to get, with filling all of the sphere grids.

I feel much better about my chances with FF IX now that I got this trophy out of the way.

Bloodlust is still a nightmare. I finished what I would consider a 100% playthrough at 66 hours. I'm almost at 76 now, just farming kills in Gizamaluke Grotto at turbo speed. Often 4 mobs at a time. Still hasn't popped.

I've made roughly 500,000 gil farming here. Enemies drop roughly 200 gil each. Maybe 2,500 kills. So I'm probably only like 1/2 done at best.

Bloodlust is still a nightmare. I finished what I would consider a 100% playthrough at 66 hours. I'm almost at 76 now, just farming kills in Gizamaluke Grotto at turbo speed. Often 4 mobs at a time. Still hasn't popped.

I've made roughly 500,000 gil farming here. Enemies drop roughly 200 gil each. Maybe 2,500 kills. So I'm probably only like 1/2 done at best.

I'll try and spread out the kill farming throughout my playthrough, so i don't get overwhelmed at the end.

Does it have to be in a single playthrough? It does sound very time consuming, but at least it's only a matter of time, and not skill/reflex dependent like the jump rope.

SilverArrow20XX

I'll try and spread out the kill farming throughout my playthrough, so i don't get overwhelmed at the end.

Does it have to be in a single playthrough? It does sound very time consuming, but at least it's only a matter of time, and not skill/reflex dependent like the jump rope.

I'm not sure. Apparently it did not carry over on the Steam version. They did rename it, so maybe it's retooled now, but I'm not gonna test that. It's not like we have a counter on PS4 to check if it works. It's still about 9 100% playthroughs worth of enemies lol.

I'm not sure. Apparently it did not carry over on the Steam version. They did rename it, so maybe it's retooled now, but I'm not gonna test that. It's not like we have a counter on PS4 to check if it works. It's still about 9 100% playthroughs worth of enemies lol.
Yes, it's a nonsensical trophy that doesn't encourage further exploring the game, or that makes you appreciate the game from a different perspective. Just mindless farming.

I recently on pc did the Perfect Game Excalibur 2 run. Definitely a lot easier eith thr boosters. Recommend it for anyone trying to get all missable items. I love this game so much. Still need to play again down the line for all ATE's and a couple other achievements though.

Also the Nero brothers minigame. Never even knew it existed until attempting this run.

protonion

Any tips for the jumprope?
I time my presses with Vivi's feet sound but I lose it after 100.
I think I'll mute the game and use the rope as a reference. Press x when it's at the highest point or something.

SilverArrow20XX

About to start day 2 of kill farming Yesterday I listened to 26 chapters of the Star Wars: Rebel Rising audio book while grinding lol. I think I'll finish the book before I'm done. I got a few more books left though so I'm prepared.

Any tips for the jumprope?
I time my presses with Vivi's feet sound but I lose it after 100.
I think I'll mute the game and use the rope as a reference. Press x when it's at the highest point or something.

The rope gets hard to see as it speeds up. It's best to find a frame of Vivi's animation and use that. I concentrate on Vivi's left hand and tap X when it's up in the air in front of the cobblestone pixel. Depending on the input lag of your TV you might need to find a slightly different frame of reference.

Nero brothers are a bit lame. I can follow them for the first 7 games, but the last second of movement for the 8th and 9th games are basically impossible to follow 100%. If I trust my instincts I still get it right a little over half the time. What you can do though is just press the share button after they do a set you can't follow, then view the video as many times as you need, or copy it to another device and watch it in slow motion.

I just passed Gizamaluke and I have a gold frog in the first marsh. Should I snap them all up before finishing the disc? I feel like I won't be back for a while and that marsh will probably fill up on its own, and if I catch the gold frog then I can use it better in a later marsh.

Top Bottom