• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Community |OT| "We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

Cutty Flam

Banned

There's said to be another information reveal for FFXVI scheduled for 2021 according to the game's producer, Naoki Yoshida. What do you think they'll reveal? Maybe a little more gameplay showcasing one or two of the realms of Valisthea?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

There's said to be another information reveal for FFXVI scheduled for 2021 according to the game's producer, Naoki Yoshida. What do you think they'll reveal? Maybe a little more gameplay showcasing one or two of the realms of Valisthea?

They said that they planned to do something in 2021, but that it may not happen. Yoshi P doesn’t want to give out info until it is closer to release.

Cutty Flam

Banned
When will Final Fantasy XVI release? I’ve read that FFXVI has been in the works since 2015, and hear that Hiroshi Takai has been excellent with his work in FFXIV. Many have praised his work in FFXIV and the development of FFXVI seems to be going along well, according to some reports last year. Holidays of 2022 maybe? Will it require even more time?

Can’t wait to read more or see another trailer tbh. And I have no doubts here in saying this, FFXVI is going to be a colossal entry in the gaming world

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
When will Final Fantasy XVI release? I’ve read that FFXVI has been in the works since 2015, and hear that Hiroshi Takai has been excellent with his work in FFXIV. Many have praised his work in FFXIV and the development of FFXVI seems to be going along well, according to some reports last year. Holidays of 2022 maybe? Will it require even more time?

Can’t wait to read more or see another trailer tbh. And I have no doubts here in saying this, FFXVI is going to be a colossal entry in the gaming world

That is my guess. 2022 Winter with a full on info dump at E3.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Which five FF games would you guys say have the richest lore?

Are there any that stand in a league of their own compared to the rest?

GeekyDad

:( For me, I wouldn't say there is any particular FF that is rich in lore. But the one that has a wealth of character is FFT A2, believe it or not. It is rich in using the characteristics of the FF universe to truly capture your heart. And ironically, it tells its story in a way the suggests it was all just a dream in some kid's head. :D

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

FFXIV has some super rich amazing lore. Hydalyn is easily my favorite fiction worlds. It also had the best cast of memorable characters in the series

FF12 and the other Ivalice games are pretty great too

Cutty Flam

Banned
So the Ivalice games are all on the Nintendo DS and take place three years after the events of FFXII, and on the same planet?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So the Ivalice games are all on the Nintendo DS and take place three years after the events of FFXII, and on the same planet?

Timeline of Ivalice.
The chronological order of the games is the following:
In Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Luso is transported to an Ivalice in the timeline after Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (when Vaan and Penelo fully become sky pirates, and hinted by the discussion they have with Hurdy) and before Final Fantasy Tactics (or during if his War of the Lions appearance is considered canon, which is possible, since Mewt gave the Grimoire he used in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance to Luso at the end of Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift). This would also explain why Luso was looking for his friends in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. If his War of the Lions appearance is canon, it would take place after the events of Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift appears twice due to the appearances of Luso in both Ivalice and St. Ivalice.

Though it can also be argued that Tactics Advance and A2 are not at all part of the canon timeline as it involves creating their idealized world based on the Final Fantasy video games.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

FFXIV is a MMO that having multiple expansion which is advantages of having most of lore and worldbuilding compared to the rest of series. each expansion added or expand lore volume which is could comparable to single player RPG content itself. each expansion added and elaborate more of pre existing content while additional side quest also has lore of it own. meanwhile latest expansion Shadowbringers, bring whole new of it since it is take place on different world.

there is this youtuber who lore lovers and so far he having blast, his notebook full of these stuff and he merely just currently in Stormblood.

also there is Eorzea Encyclopedia released with around 200-300 pages that added more information about the world that not in game. second volume scheduled released next year.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Eorzea Encyclopedia released with around 200-300 pages that added more information about the world that not in game. second volume scheduled released next year.
One of my greatest 'fears' as a gamer currently is missing out on FFXIV since it's an online MMO. I might force myself to at least try it and begin before July 2022

Knowing that there are two encyclopedias for FFXIV makes me think even more that it's a must play game

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One of my greatest 'fears' as a gamer currently is missing out on FFXIV since it's an online MMO. I might force myself to at least try it and begin before July 2022

Knowing that there are two encyclopedias for FFXIV makes me think even more that it's a must play game

It’s really good. Just a forewarning. The first expansion n(ARR) is rough. Basically what you would expect though given they rebuilt an entire MMO in under 2 years. Everything after? Damn near perfection. HW is where the story really gets good.

NecrosaroIII

I dunno, I enjoyed ARR just fine, especially around the mid way point when the main characters start to be introduced. The ARR patches get a lot of shit, but I thought they were excellent. But yeah, Heavensward is when things go to a whole other level.

FFXIV is everything I've ever wanted from FF. I honestly don't think they can top this game.

Valonquar

You can play through the main story questline of FFXIV and its expansions largely solo, just queuing for some duties in party finder. It's definately worth it for the story. Skip the endgame grinding shit since it's all just fluff for dyable armor, extra mounts and epeen bragging rights.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I had never played an MMO in my life but I gave this a try and it's now my second favorite FF game of all time (behind FF7). I only play by myself and I've had an amazing time.

Kumomeme

just take your time and no need to force yourself. play it when you feels right. the content wont go anywhere and no need to rush to play the game just because you want to catch up to latest content.

you not necessary play everything in one go. thats 4 expansion you need to catch up which is basically including base game its like 5 final fantasy game you need to play. you can play for awhile for example after finished each expansion and stop take rest before resume when you feels right. the game designed to play for a short time and awhile. even Naoki Yoshida encourage player to stop subbing and play / do other things if has nothing else to do. no need force to continuesly play all the time.

and the game is not like other MMO. people scared to play because they fear of it gonna sink them lot of time grinding level but FFXIV is different. you gained exp by doing quest instead. most of time you gonna spend is doing single player story content quest. time to finish each expansion is just same as you play other single player RPG.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I dunno, I enjoyed ARR just fine, especially around the mid way point when the main characters start to be introduced. The ARR patches get a lot of shit, but I thought they were excellent. But yeah, Heavensward is when things go to a whole other level.

FFXIV is everything I've ever wanted from FF. I honestly don't think they can top this game.
i enjoyed ARR too. probably because i appreciate the world building, and really take my time playing instead of trying to complete it fast. personally ofcourse it is not same level as HW but it actually never THAT bad as people said to be. it has it problem like fetch quest and slog which is understandable but people's reaction sometimes i see give false impression to the point scared newcomer to play. i see tons of comment on reddit and youtube for example where lot of new player 'scared' to play it and intended to buy boost instead without ever give it a try.

NecrosaroIII

i enjoyed ARR too. probably because i appreciate the world building, and really take my time playing instead of trying to complete it fast. personally ofcourse it is not same level as HW but it actually never THAT bad as people said to be. it has it problem like fetch quest and slog which is understandable but people's reaction sometimes i see give false impression to the point scared newcomer to play. i see tons of comment on reddit and youtube for example where lot of new player 'scared' to play it and intended to buy boost instead without ever give it a try.
It's a shame because ARR sets up so much. A lot of the reason that HW and SB resonated so much was because of pay off from threads established in ARR

Cutty Flam

Banned
Could FFXII be more important than fans give it credit for? FFXII, and then 5-6 more games following the events of FFXII, on the same planet Ivalice

It would be perfect if Square, Square Enix made their entire FF library playable across all platforms one day. How many FF games (w/ RPG elements) are there in total?

Kumomeme

Could FFXII be more important than fans give it credit for? FFXII, and then 5-6 more games following the events of FFXII, on the same planet Ivalice
it presence has big influence in the franchise. but rather than being specified on FFXII or Ivalice Alliance related of content, better to simply say that Yasumi Matsuno's overall work including title like Vagrant story and Tactic Ogre indeed bring it own fanbase which is not just influenced fans, also developers.

it is common that lot of fans and developers today especially in square influenced by tons of previous Final Fantasy title or other of their noteable work but even among of it, there is those who also fans of Matsuno itself. we can see today for example in CBU3 team. there is tons of developers who either fans of him/his work like XII/Tactics etc. or used to work with him in previous games. Naoki Yoshida is big fans of FFXII to the point he really want to work with him that end up bring Ivalice Raid in FFXIV while Kazutoyo Maehiro said he influenced alot by his writing(he write story for ARR and HW, and possibly XVI). even currently Yasumi Matsuno is friend with the development team.

so now we can see in square there is 2 branch of lineage in of developers. one is from Kitase/Nomura and another one is from Matsuno. XII, XI, XIV and XVI is from him.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Currently preparing to embark on a first time playthrough of FFVII. I’ve somehow stayed in the dark this entire time and haven’t spoiled a single moment of the game’s story. If things go according to plan, I’ll start up a file before the New Year begins, and I'll probably look to spend around 150-200 hours before finishing the game

Andyliini

Currently preparing to embark on a first time playthrough of FFVII. I’ve somehow stayed in the dark this entire time and haven’t spoiled a single moment of the game’s story. If things go according to plan, I’ll start up a file before the New Year begins, and I'll probably look to spend around 150-200 hours before finishing the game
Have fun, altough I never have taken that many hours to beat this game, probably closer to 50 hours. This was the game that got me into RPG's so I hope you like it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This site has the game as an Epic release. With how SE have been deciding on what should or what should not be Epic exlusive, I am worried.

I hope this doesn't become reality.
I wouldn't be surprised. I believe Stranger of Paradise is confirmed to be Epic Games Store exclusive. And there are rumors that Final Fantasy VII Remake (when it comes to PC) will also be exclusive to Epic. And of course, all of the Kingdom Hearts games are still exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Seems like you better start preparing yourself for the inevitable.

Labadal

Yeah, it's really strange, isn't it?

NEO: TWEWY is also Epic exclusive, while the SaGa games, Mana games, and Pixel Remasters are not. They're doing my head in, tbh.

Labadal

Not sure why you would be worried. It's just another launcher in a sea of launchers.
I don't like the way Epic handles their store, and I will not support them. Specific PC store exclusives is such a shitty thing.

If it turns out to be Epic exclusive, I will get the game on PS5.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't like the way Epic handles their store, and I will not support them. Specific PC store exclusives is such a shitty thing.

If it turns out to be Epic exclusive, I will get the game on PS5.

It really isn't. It makes zero difference. Its a damn launcher. You don't need unique or exclusive hardware, just download the software, buy the product, play the game.

You would not be having this conversation if it was exclusive to Steam or GoG. You would argue that it is OK to be exclusive to either of those stores. This has *nothing* to do with PC store exclusivity and instead your strange hangup with the Epic store.

Labadal

It really isn't. It makes zero difference. Its a damn launcher. You don't need unique or exclusive hardware, just download the software, buy the product, play the game.

You would not be having this conversation if it was exclusive to Steam or GoG. You would argue that it is OK to be exclusive to either of those stores. This has *nothing* to do with PC store exclusivity and instead your strange hangup with the Epic store.
It's not a strange hangup with the Epic Store. It's not about an extra launcher. It's about business practices. It took years before I used Steam. I wasn't a fan from the start, but I doubt that they do much paying for exclusives this year. You don't get to put words in my mouth, or decide why I don't approve of something, so just sit yourself down, son.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

GILGAMESH has the richest lore. It is known.

Only other things that come close are Ivalice which includes Vagrant Story, XII and it's spinoffs and Tactics which is tied to XII.

And then FF XI. Lots of lore in that game.

The others do not have heap loads of lore.

The only huge world building I've seen in FF is primarily Ivalice, Vanadiel and Eorzea.

Type 0's Orience I really enjoyed but that game shoots you all over the place so you can't really enjoy it all that much.

Edit: I will also make a mention that while FFVII has a looooooooot of Ultimania's and supplementary content it does very little to expand on it's game world.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Y'ou guys think XVI will show up at the game awards tonight? There's a grubhub FFXIV promo for ordering during the show...

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Y'ou guys think XVI will show up at the game awards tonight? There's a grubhub FFXIV promo for ordering during the show...

The FFXIV Grub Hub promo is not for the show. Its a thing that will last from the 9th to the 15th. It was announced before today.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The FFXIV Grub Hub promo is not for the show. Its a thing that will last from the 9th to the 15th. It was announced before today.

The emote promo, yes, but during the show specifically you get free delivery! I just got papa johns lol

YukiOnna

Happy New Years messages from various FF Creators that tease a lot of stuff

It's the 3rd time Yoshi-P has emphasized they'll be ramping up for FFXVI's release Spring onwards, so the game probably is releasing next Fiscal Year (Q4 2022-Q1 2023)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Against my better judgement I picked up Final Fantasy VII Remake on PC. Putting my 3060 through it's paces, but getting good results.

I basically got it for the Intermission DLC, since my PS5 broke and I've been wanting to play it. About half way through so far, but it's pretty entertaining. Hoping we hear news on Chapter 2 soon...

I’ve been replaying 7R as well, got a PS5 and upgraded my game to the PS5 version just so I could play the Yuffie dlc. I’m actually on the final chapter right now, I did everything on the PS4 version so this was just a story play through on normal. Not having the gotterdamerang (spelled?) sure makes this go slower lol

YukiOnna

How do you guys think FFXVI is going to play? Will it be bigger than Skyrim?
Combat-wise Yoshi-P has said they decided early on it would lean to be pretty action heavy, so I don't think we'll be controlling anyone other than Clive with AI Party members. I could be wrong though and that'd be great (on the party thing). No I don't think it'll be bigger than Skyrim and it doesn't need to be. It would have much more interesting level design, too. Regions will probably be slightly larger than ones you see in FFXIV which are already pretty big + seamless.

Narasumas

Series is GOAT just for the music alone. Uematsu is a master of his craft, and is a peer to some of the finest composers across all media / genres.

I also really like Sakimoto’s work and wish he would be more involved. He has the potential to fill Nobuo’s shoes.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Well it's a rainy, cold, windy and overcast day here in Daytona Beach, FL, which means it must be time for a Final Fantasy RTTP!!!

wooVF0r.jpg

Looks like Cutty Flam Cutty Flam just recently did an LTTP, so I'm just gonna post my updates in here instead of doing a whole new thread.

As I have done in the past with (most of) my RTTPs and LTTPs, I will make notes as I play (pausing the game and taking short breaks to jot them down while they are fresh in my mind) and I will mostly just copy and paste those notes into a post, lightly editing for readability and clarity. What that means is my opinion on the game may change/evolve over time. I may feel like I hate the game at first and love it by the end, or vice versa. I really like the idea of giving your thoughts as you play, rather than waiting all the way to the end to spit them out. Waiting till the end feels more like a review to me, and that's not what an LTTP or RTTP should be, imo. I like to read people raw reactions and see how their thoughts change over time.

Here are some old RTTPs/LTTPs of mine, if you're interested in checking them out: FFX, FFXII, FFXIII (you'll have to scroll through the thread to see my update posts as they are spread out over several pages. But there are some spicy takes in their if you like that kinda thing :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

This first update will be a bit different as I have just now decided to do this and I'm already close to Shinra HQ and about to leave Midgar. Here are my thoughts so far. Enjoy!

UPDATE #1

The Slums

Decided to finally play FF7 (OG) and man it’s like a breath of fresh air. The music, the world, NPCs with interesting (and hilarious!) dialogue, a battle system that is slow and methodical and easy, but still a ton of fun. No stress in this game, just pure joy, I’m loving this run so far.

I missed a lot of the wall market side stuff but I don’t think there was anything super useful there, just for fun side content stuff.

I was gonna go no guide but I decided to at least check a missable items guide too make sure I don’t miss any weapons/materia. Last time I played FF7 was like my definitive 100% run, but that was almost 10 years ago so I don’t remember everything. And if I don’t play this game for another 10 years, I want to make sure this is a good run.

Still not “following” the guide tho, just looking at the item run down list for the beginning of each new area. That way I know they are there, but I don’t know exactly where they are. If I feel like I can’t find it or I’m about to miss it, THEN and only then will I read the guide to see what I’m doing wrong.

It’s a fun way to play through old school FFs and ensures I don’t miss anything big. But still without reading the guide, there is probably some important steps I will miss and I’ll probably lose out on something in the game. Hopefully my memory serves me well and I can recall where to go and what to do in the right order and don’t miss much. Wish me luck!

I don’t think I’ll ever do a run as complete as my last one (I did almost everything except defeat emerald weapon), and I’m probably not going to try. If I did I would use a guide and make it a whole separate run where I try to collect one of every item and do absolutely everything. But I will save that play through for another day. I just want to enjoy this run while getting most of the important stuff.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Wow, so FF turns 35 years old already? I remember back when it was 25 years, I thought of doing a rerun of the main series, but never got around doing it for one reason or another. And now, 10 years later I'm thinking of maybe doing it again. Maybe if Pixel Remasters release on consoles this year, I have a real reason of doing it. Gives me a reason to finally play X/X-2 HD Collection and Zodiac Age.

Kev Kev

OG FF7 question…

Should I search every wall, bookshelf, pot, cabinet, every inch of every searchable area, etc., just in case there are hidden items like in previous FF games…?

Or are there just not that many hidden items like that in FF7?

I’m noticing some hidden stuff but nothing great so far and it’s few and far between. I remember I previous FFs it’d be all over the place, especially in towns. You’d search every random corner, wall, dead end, interesting looking object, everything! You’d go around the whole game world just tapping search, hoping to find an ether or an elixir or piece of weapon/armor.

I’ve been doing it here and there in my FF7 run, and I found a few things here and there, but I don’t want to waste time if it’s just a option or whatever. Anyone know if it’s worth it to search every nook and cranny?

Top Bottom