• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will most likely come to PC in 2022 as Playstation exclusivity is extended

Microsoft has a decades long relationship with Bethesda as well. They are just different sized deals.
No....

Yes, they have a decades-long relationship.....because Bethesda was a 3rd party publisher who made games for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

MS wasn't publishing and funding their games like Sony and Insomniac. Insomniac is not a publisher. They weren't a major third party with gigantic multiplatform ips.

This is beyond "different sized deals". And if you can't understand then I can't help you.

Last edited:
After all that time, you might as well keep it PlayStation exclusive at this point. I honestly think the game most likely achieved the bulk of its lifetime sales on PS4 and it will probably get a little more on PS5. It could be like the timed exclusive situation with Tomb Raider for XBOX. By the time it hits PC, how many people will really care about it?

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I'd love to play this game down the line but only when it's complete. I can keep waiting. I'll end up playing with better hardware as well.

What about that FFVII mobile game. That seems more faithful to the original. That has to release on pc as well.

MastaKiiLA

If you're looking forward to titles that are PS first party, or historically given limited/full exclusivity on PS consoles, and you don't buy a PS console, then you're kinda doing it wrong. I've seen some PC gamers bragging about Sony games coming to PC, but that's like years down the line, and the quality of the ports is still an unknown. HZD on the PC is a good game, but is it a 2020 quality PC game visually? Probably not.

The original FF7 eventually made it to the PC too, but how long did that take? If you're like me, and don't really care about playing something when it comes out, then that's great. But I don't know if I'm investing thousands of dollars into a PC, only to wait around to play games that could perform just as well on a PC that costs significantly less, in the year that the game finally gets ported.

PC gamers should generally be looking forward to PC games. Or games that traditionally get released day and date with their console versions, like NBA2k or COD. Otherwise, just buy a console. If your PC rig is good enough to be worth bragging about, then you can easily afford a console anyway. So just pony up the bucks and enjoy the best of both worlds.

RGB'D

As a PC gamer that played FF7:Remake on my PS4 Pro and PS5, I still think this is bullshit. #1 Stop making it seem like everyone was praising Bethesda and Xbox. This site is objectively Sony dominated... I read those threads and the vast majority were complaining, not praising. Conceptually I am better with XBox exclusivity because of their integration to PC. It is a significantly different thing to have a exclusivity in the console space but still allow for release on PC (which is not a walled garden like PS and Xbox). If SONY had allowed PC release but maintained console exclusivity that is a different beast and would have been fine. As it is now, this deal sucks... and I already own/have played this on my PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:

SpokkX

This must be the shittiest exclusive ever paid for.. why is sony wasting money on this crap?

i understand the nostalgia angle - but the game was quite mediocre if you ignore the history

i was really bored after 5 hours and i really like ff7

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Good. Maybe in 10 years I will care about this game and play it on PC. I have a PS5 and won't go for this title until it is complete if at all. I would get it on PC today if I could though.

Yeah, not a lot of point to be buying this in a year or two. First part to a game released several years ago, probably sold at full price. Let's take another look when the full game is out on PC in a decade or so. I'll pay 20€ at that point for the whole package, SE. Or not, since by then it'll feel outdated already. It doesn't feel like there's point in investing into this franchise unless you feel like going for it day one on PS.

Last edited:

Metnut

Weird how so many people are taking the time to post on this thread about how they don’t care. Usually when you don’t care about something you don’t take the time out of your day to write about it.

Sony has lots of exclusive software and that’s why I’ll always have a Sony console. Waiting years to play the newest FF, or games like Horizon, Bloodborne, etc., isn’t something I’m willing to do.

Last edited:

Spitfire098

Sony always ve
Weird how so many people are taking the time to post on this thread about how they don’t care. Usually when you don’t care about something you don’t take the time out of your say to write about it.

Sony has lots of exclusive software and that’s why I’ll always have a Sony console. Waiting years to play the newest FF, or games like Horizon, Bloodborne, etc., isn’t something I’m willing to do.
Best way to not care is to actively tell people you don't care.

Nickolaidas

Hypocrisy in what?
Thank you for making my point.

Hypocrisy in the fact that both companies do this in order to cockblock their rival. The only difference is that Sony isn't willing to fork out the dough to cockblock MS indefinitely, so they only do it for 1-2 years.

Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda in order for you to play 'anytime, anywhere'. They did it so that people with only a playstation wouldn't be able to play Elder Scrolls games from now on, and are forcing them to invest on the MS ecosystem.

If you don't see that, you're purposefully ignorant.

Sony is just as shitty of course. It's just that they're too cheap to actually do what MS does, so they do the next best thing (for them).

Kimahri

Banned
Thank you for making my point.

Hypocrisy in the fact that both companies do this in order to cockblock their rival. The only difference is that Sony isn't willing to fork out the dough to cockblock MS indefinitely, so they only do it for 1-2 years.

Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda in order for you to play 'anytime, anywhere'. They did it so that people with only a playstation wouldn't be able to play Elder Scrolls games from now on, and are forcing them to invest on the MS ecosystem.

If you don't see that, you're purposefully ignorant.

Sony is just as shitty of course. It's just that they're too cheap to actually do what MS does, so they do the next best thing (for them).
I agree, but there is a difference. Sony fans aren't left with a big whooping question of "when?". They know Elder Scrolls ain't coming.

Square has increasingly cultivated their xbox audience in the past years by putting more and more of their titles on there, so I totally understand the frustration.

No....

Yes, they have a decades-long relationship.....because Bethesda was a 3rd party publisher who made games for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

MS wasn't publishing and funding their games like Sony and Insomniac. Insomniac is not a publisher. They weren't a major third party with gigantic multiplatform ips.

This is beyond "different sized deals". And if you can't understand then I can't help you.
It's a fair bit closer relationship than that. I suggest you watch the roundtable where they talk a bit about their past together.

Ridaxan

I own the PS4 version (haven't spent much time on it), but I'm willing to wait for the PC version since I'm not planning on getting a PS5 anytime soon.

With MS you can play the game on everything that has a browser (except Playstation of course:messenger_grinning_sweat:), the entry point is as low as possible. With Playstation? Pff, you don't even know if the game is coming on PC. The one who doesn't want the game on Game Pass is Sony with its contracts :messenger_tears_of_joy: Sony doesn't want it in PS+ and PS Now either for some reason too.

In fact - in a certain sense - MS did a pro-consumer move - now consumers don't need to pay 70$ in order to access the games. They don't need to go and pay the full price just because Sony doesn't want to lose the face and devalue itself with their own actions. With MS - it has a browser, it can run the game. Investment in the ecosystem is a hilarious topic considering that with Sony you at least need 400$ upfront for the investment while MS you just need 15$ at most to access the game. (reminds me of the guy who said that he was willing to pay 150$ if the game came to Playstation rather than paying 15$ to access it on XCloud)

Though the mental gymnastics some of the people use sometimes incredible. Like I recall some guy on Era blamed MS for not getting Octopath on PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy: Like when the game went to Stadia - nobody cared because Google paid for that. But when Xbox got it - suddenly MS paid for not putting the game on Playstation, rather than MS just paid SE to port the game and Sony did not bother.

Last edited:
I agree, but there is a difference. Sony fans aren't left with a big whooping question of "when?". They know Elder Scrolls ain't coming.

Square has increasingly cultivated their xbox audience in the past years by putting more and more of their titles on there, so I totally understand the frustration.

It's a fair bit closer relationship than that. I suggest you watch the roundtable where they talk a bit about their past together.
I’ve watched it.

It’s fancy pr talk. Which has nothing to do with the point of buying a big third party publisher is nowhere near the same as buying one independent developer.

yazenov

This must be the shittiest exclusive ever paid for.. why is sony wasting money on this crap?

i understand the nostalgia angle - but the game was quite mediocre if you ignore the history

The game has a metacritic score of 87. It scored better than the majority of Xbox exclusives.

You sound like a bitter guy after being rejected by a hot girl. But but she was ugly anyways.

Varteras

Gold Member
Ah yes. Console warriors coming out to argue about the horrors of exclusivity. As if they actually care.

FStubbs

Probably higher odds of Elder Scrolls on PS5 than FF7 remake on Xbox or PC at this point. Sony will just annually pay their exclusivity fee.

Lethal01

Because regardless of you specifically disliking it the majority of those who played thought it was great. Look, I don't like uncharted but I'm not gonna pretend everyone hates it.

Nickolaidas

With MS you can play the game on everything that has a browser (except Playstation of course:messenger_grinning_sweat:), the entry point is as low as possible. With Playstation? Pff, you don't even know if the game is coming on PC. The one who doesn't want the game on Game Pass is Sony with its contracts :messenger_tears_of_joy: Sony doesn't want it in PS+ and PS Now either for some reason too.

In fact - in a certain sense - MS did a pro-consumer move - now consumers don't need to pay 70$ in order to access the games. They don't need to go and pay the full price just because Sony doesn't want to lose the face and devalue itself with their own actions. With MS - it has a browser, it can run the game. Investment in the ecosystem is a hilarious topic considering that with Sony you at least need 400$ upfront for the investment while MS you just need 15$ at most to access the game. (reminds me of the guy who said that he was willing to pay 150$ if the game came to Playstation rather than paying 15$ to access it on XCloud)

Though the mental gymnastics some of the people use sometimes incredible. Like I recall some guy on Era blamed MS for not getting Octopath on PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy: Like when the game went to Stadia - nobody cared because Google paid for that. But when Xbox got it - suddenly MS paid for not putting the game on Playstation, rather than MS just paid SE to port the game and Sony did not bother.
Nothing stopped MS from paying Bethesda in order to have their games appear on Game Pass on day one or sooner rather than later WITHOUT buying them. They could be true 'pro-consumer' by doing that, instead of cockblocking PS owners. Or better yet, they could've bought Bethesda, have all of their games on Game Pass on day one AND have them on sale on a PS console in order to truly be 'pro consumer'. But they won't. They will forbid PS owners from playing their games as a way to force them into the MS ecosystem.

If you could take out Microsoft's dick out of your mouth long enough for you to grasp this, you would see that this isn't a pro consumer move, but a pure business tactic to hurt their competitor. If you only want to play Games on Game Pass more power to you, but see Bethesda's acquisition for what it is. Don't be a fanboy.

Nothing stopped MS from paying Bethesda in order to have their games appear on Game Pass on day one or sooner rather than later WITHOUT buying them
Yeah, yeah just like Ghostwire, Deathloop, potentially Starfield or like it happened with Final Fantasy. No, against Sony leveraging its marketshare the only possible solution was to purchase the company. Granted it was falling apart so MS saved Bethesda in a sense.

I mean Sony doesn't need to moneyhat Final Fantasy yet...
They could be true 'pro-consumer' by doing that, instead of cockblocking PS owners.
PS users are not cockblocked. They can play the game even cheaper now. In a sense they also benefit from that. No need to throw 60$-70$ on a game. Pay 15$ and play for a month. Nothing cheaper and simpler than that. The only "cockblocked" Playstation users are those who by ideological reasons doesn't want to pay 15$. After all it is not 70$ on their own platform.

But when Sony does that - you literally has no other way to play without paying 400/500$ + 60/70$ for the game.

If you could take out Microsoft's dick out of your mouth long enough for you to grasp this,
Said they guy who prays to Jim & Sony logo on a regular basis :messenger_tears_of_joy: 4ThePrayers
I wonder if you thinking about dicks in the mouth is something psychological.

pure business tactic
It is a business tactic, from which consumer - in that case - benefits. Only religious Sony zealots don't like it. It will be hilarious if people will be able to play those games on Switch, while Playstation users won't be able to because Sony removed the browser from the console to protect the children lol

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
This thread is about a PC version, which Xbox console exclusives never exclude. Buying a developer goes beyond just "keep games off other platforms", whereas exclusivity agreements are solely that.

Sony must be shilling out a lot of money here, really greedy to go beyond just the one year exclusivity mark. The real shady part is the extension though, as there was expectation of PC/Xbox versions coming after the first year was over, but now weeks after the original agreement ended this is revealed. Square has no right to complain of low sales on PC/Xbox after pulling this bullshit.

Rise of the Tomb Raider ring a bell there, genius?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally really liked FFVIIR and looking forward to Intergrade version but with that being said, I still think Sony wasting money on these "timed exclusives", I rather see invest actual first party Japanese games.

Brofist

I'm surprised they wouldn't just make the new content exclusive and release last year's version on PC. But whatever, do what you gotta do Sony I guess.

Nickolaidas

Yeah, yeah just like Ghostwire, Deathloop, potentially Starfield or like it happened with Final Fantasy. No, against Sony leveraging its marketshare the only possible solution was to purchase the company. Granted it was falling apart so MS saved Bethesda in a sense.

I mean Sony doesn't need to moneyhat Final Fantasy yet...

PS users are not cockblocked. They can play the game even cheaper now. In a sense they also benefit from that. No need to throw 60$-70$ on a game. Pay 15$ and play for a month. Nothing cheaper and simpler than that. The only "cockblocked" Playstation users are those who by ideological reasons doesn't want to pay 15$. After all it is not 70$ on their own platform.

But when Sony does that - you literally has no other way to play without paying 400/500$ + 60/70$ for the game.

Said they guy who prays to Jim & Sony logo on a regular basis :messenger_tears_of_joy: 4ThePrayers
I wonder if you thinking about dicks in the mouth is something psychological.

It is a business tactic, from which consumer - in that case - benefits. Only religious Sony zealots don't like it. It will be hilarious if people will be able to play those games on Switch, while Playstation users won't be able to because Sony removed the browser from the console to protect the children lol
Are you trolling, or are you being purposefully dense? You give me the impression you don't bother to read my post but only search for trigger-words in order to make a half-baked reply to one-up me.

As I said BEFORE, I think Sony is just as bad as Microsoft in this regard. The only difference is that they don't have the money or the willingness to spend the necessary money to do the same thing MS does, so they do timed exclusives as a result. Both practices are petty in the eyes of an actual consumer and are only applauded by fanboys who use bullet points as bragging rights.

PS fanboy: "NYAH NYAH! I HAVE LAST OF US, GOD OF WAR AND BLOODBORNE BUT YOU DON'T! NYAH NYAH!"

MS fanboy: "NYAH NYAH! I GET TO PLAY A HUNDRED GAMES FOR 5 BUCKS A MONTH, BUT YOU DON'T! NYAH NYAH!"

And AGAIN, Microsoft could have bought Bethesda and future titles on the PS AS WELL, if they were really pro-consumer. Which they're not, this is all part of their plan to make every single gamer a Game Pass subscriber. MS is not your friend, Sony is not your friend, Nintendo is not your friend.

"PS users are not cockblocked" - really? When Elder Scrolls VI will be released in every system and streaming service known to man EXCEPT a PS system, how is that not cockblocking in every way, shape or form? And if MS is 'pro-consumer', why not give permission to Bethesda to publish Elder Scrolls VI to a PS console as well? It's not like they can't - they just don't want to, because that's why the bought Bethesda in the first place. Buying Bethesda doesn't mean MS is forced not to release Elder Scrolls VI on the PS, it means they have the OPTION, which they gladly take advantage of.

"Said they guy who prays to Jim & Sony logo on a regular basis :messenger_tears_of_joy: 4ThePrayers" - Pretty sure you got the wrong guy, but hey, if posting imaginary tales makes your case stronger, go for it!

The people who are saying this are fine are sony shills so sony makes you buy a ps3 for versus 13 game gets canned for 15 about half a decade later and then teases ff7 remake all the way back on the ps3 and vita both only got remaster of 10 ps3 got 13. So ps4 comes around ff7r comes out with 5 editions CE for $300 ps4 pro bundle jp only for $599. So after you spend $400+ on a pro console you cant play the dlc for a game that was made just for the ps4...... you fighting the dude bro cod gamers, the bots and the poor system allocation management system is not worth it for some ps4 dlc.

Nobody is buying that DLC other than 1 million really hardcore fans who wants to play a 4hrs DLC, in other words Sony stopped SE from making money off of FF7R AGAIN !!!

If you think about it, FF7 sales would be record breaking if it launched on Switch in Japan heck the whole world too even 6 months after the PS4 release, ofc SONY paid for this exclusivity deal a pretty penny but it won't be more than the numbers this game would bring if it launched on all platforms a year after it's official release, i'm one of 6million buyers of the FF7R who will get a free upgrade on PS5 and will ignore the new tiny very expensive 4hrs DLC, Yuffie and another generic made-up character are not worth the money
1.5 at best world wide in fact i think it will sell like the de remaster since you cant even buy a ps5 to beging with and the core people who have a ps5 are scalpers

I don't really understand the "wait till the full game is done" comments. Was Mass Effect 1 not a full game?

Remake 1 is a full game. Remake 2 will also be a full game and possibly make its own changes and additions. This remake is an "adaptation" of an old game. People making these comments are just as dumb as the people who think "durr 3 discs game means it has to be three games".
I don't really understand the "wait till the full game is done" comments. Was Mass Effect 1 not a full game?
ME1 was a full game every ME game has a ending of sort every game was written like it would be the last in the trilogy metal gear soild was the same same RE2 remake is the full game of re2 re1 remake is the same thing ff7r is barely the 1st part of ff7 ff7 is more than midgar

If you're looking forward to titles that are PS first party, or historically given limited/full exclusivity on PS consoles, and you don't buy a PS console, then you're kinda doing it wrong. I've seen some PC gamers bragging about Sony games coming to PC, but that's like years down the line, and the quality of the ports is still an unknown. HZD on the PC is a good game, but is it a 2020 quality PC game visually? Probably not.

The original FF7 eventually made it to the PC too, but how long did that take? If you're like me, and don't really care about playing something when it comes out, then that's great. But I don't know if I'm investing thousands of dollars into a PC, only to wait around to play games that could perform just as well on a PC that costs significantly less, in the year that the game finally gets ported.

PC gamers should generally be looking forward to PC games. Or games that traditionally get released day and date with their console versions, like NBA2k or COD. Otherwise, just buy a console. If your PC rig is good enough to be worth bragging about, then you can easily afford a console anyway. So just pony up the bucks and enjoy the best of both worlds.
PC gamers should generally be looking forward to PC games. Or games that traditionally get released day and date with their console versions, like NBA2k or COD. Otherwise.

kinda funny that you said applies more to you consoles gamers then anything else when 80% of sony gamers play nothing but mtx madden and cod you dont have room to talk about game variety

Corndog

Banned
No....

Microsoft funded an insomniac game right?

As I said BEFORE, I think Sony is just as bad as Microsoft in this regard.
Nah. With MS you have multiple entry points into the ecosystem and the ability to play the game. With Sony - you don't. So who's worse is pretty obvious from the consumer point of view.

And AGAIN, Microsoft could have bought Bethesda and future titles on the PS AS WELL, if they were really pro-consumer.
Why should they do that if Sony deliberately doing whatever it takes to take away the games from Xbox? Sony was even surprised that MS did not pull out Minecraft from Playstation which tells everything you need to know about Sony's attitude.

When Elder Scrolls VI will be released in every system and streaming service known to man EXCEPT a PS system, how is that not cockblocking in every way, shape or form
Sony's users use TVs to play the games no? (some use maybe imagination - like look at PS5 and project the image in the mind - but I hope not all of them). The difference will be launching TV app rather than launching the console. Also cheaper. And that's it. The only cockblocked users are those who deliberately decided not to play the game whatever it takes. And they also tend to break the consoles in the videos too. Regular person will just launch it on TV, on mobile or whatever it will play. Especially if even now people are content with a quality when playing via Stadia for example.

MS is not your friend, Sony is not your friend, Nintendo is not your friend.
Sometimes I feel like that talk about "not your friend" is justification from the Sony's fans to explain why their games cost 70$, why PS+ doesn't have the latest games, why PS Now doesn't have the latest games and so on. Nintendo fans don't talk about "companies are not your friends", Xbox fans are also a minority at that - the most vocal ones are Sony fans.

All these talks about companies not being your friends fall apart if I say that I will be able to play Starfield for 10$ or purchase it later with a discount, with normal refund policies if needed vs I will be able to play returnal for 70+$ with crappy refund policies. You can't even bring argument why paying less is worse than paying more.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is no "pro consumer" or "anti consumer" in this. Just like any other business in the world Sony only going to care for their own costumers. Why should they care about Xbox, Nintendo or any other competitor's costumers!?

Zatzuken

Its shit but its still coming, as a ps exclusive user i now face having to buy another 450 pound box if i want to play the next elder scrolls or starfield, (i have tried xcloud and i found stadia to be far superior in my area).

Is it crap? yes, but its still gonna get there.

for the gamers ? :p
Yep. 80€ for ...,Returnal and a ratchet&clank game....for the gamers. Nobody cares for the gamers anyway, just loved the Bethesda drama from entitled Sony fanboys and want more of it. «Oh sure it is bad but..,eventually (in 2,3.....10 years) you will be able to play it» , words from random Sony fanboys justifying sony's approach. Mind you I don’t mind what Sony is doing, I get it, just can’t stand the hypocrisy from some fans.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The mental gymnastics :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So PS money hatting a game that would and should have been multi platform is absolutely great, fine and normal.

But MS buying a studio is not allowed, but Sony buying a studio because of arbitrary la la land reason A, B and C, is grand.

Some of you chucklefucks need to get real. It’s sad to read the same pathetic shit in every thread. If Sony bought a studio they have no prior ties to tomorrow, like Moon, you’d all be nowhere to be seen.

pg-34-chuckle-1.jpg

All acquisitions are fine, and fair game. Timed exclusivity is absolutely bull shit and always has been, whether it’s MS or Nintendo. Personally I’ll get a good laugh if MS do but another publisher, the Zenimax meltdown thread is absolutely legendary.

Last edited:

kikii

Yep. 80€ for ...,Returnal and a ratchet&clank game....for the gamers. Nobody cares for the gamers anyway, just loved the Bethesda drama from entitled Sony fanboys and want more of it. «Oh sure it is bad but..,eventually (in 2,3.....10 years) you will be able to play it» , words from random Sony fanboys justifying sony's approach. Mind you I don’t mind what Sony is doing, I get it, just can’t stand the hypocrisy from some fans.
why it has to be always "fanboys" ?

Reurnal 80€ is not true, posted it before

H46Tcgk.jpg

Top Bottom