• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Producer Yoshinori Kitase on What Comes Next

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Most of Nomura and Kitase’s comments mirror what we already covered in past interviews. They also confirm Kyrie Canaan is the “new” character from Final Fantasy VII The Kids Are Alright. Sumire Uesaka voices Kyrie.

However, one comment from Yoshinori Kitase is pretty interesting, as it touches upon Final Fantasy VII Remake and its ending.

Yoshinori Kitase: “The fans have been waiting for 23 years for this game, and I’m happy we’ve been finally able to deliver it to them. It’s a full-fledged game that can be enjoyed by itself, but its story is far from over. With this first game, we showed how there is great potential for the future, and we included many hints regarding what’s coming next. I’m looking forward to seeing the fans’ theories on social media regarding what could happen now. We will keep in touch with everyone so we can all make this project grow together.”

Yoshinori Kitase is obviously talking about the final chapter of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. He said “23 years”. He’s not counting from 2015, when the Remake was announced. Kitase is hinting that Final Fantasy VII Remake can be considered the sequel that fans have been waiting for since 1997. Just like what a certain popular anime series is doing with its movies. Overall, it’s nice that he’s acknowledging it and encouraging fans to share their own speculation as they wait for the next game. I’m expecting the Final Fantasy 7 Remake official twitter to start an official spoiler hashtag to share theories.

Rat Rage

Yoshinori Kitase: “The fans have been waiting for 23 years for this game.

FUCKING LIE! Nobody asked for such drastic changes. I mean, if you take ANY JRPG and change its story AND genre (so that it is basically not even a "JRPG" anymore) you fucked up in my book!

The people who have been asking for a "remake" of Final Fantasy 7 for the last 2 decades have always been asking for "just Final Fantasy 7 with improved graphics (and maybe better translation)". So YES, everyone MEANT "remaster" instead of "remake", even before the gaming communi.... I mean the SHILLS started making harsh distinctions between the two.

That's been the whole consensus for the last 20 years. If you've been a long time gamer, you know this is THE TRUTH.

RIP "Squaresoft"

Last edited:

Shrap

“The fans have been waiting for 23 years for this game, and I’m happy we’ve been finally able to deliver it to them.
Partial delivery.
It’s a full-fledged game that can be enjoyed by itself, but its story is far from over. With this first game, we showed how there is great potential for the future, and we included many hints regarding what’s coming next. I’m looking forward to seeing the fans’ theories on social media regarding what could happen now. We will keep in touch with everyone so we can all make this project grow together.”
Why would fans be sharing theories? Don't we already know the story of FFVII?
Kitase is hinting that Final Fantasy VII Remake can be considered the sequel that fans have been waiting for since 1997.
Why isn't it called Final Fantasy VII-2 then? That's pretty misleading. I'm pretty sure fans weren't waiting for a sequel when Square announced a remake... They were waiting for a remake. Also, the sequel fans were waiting for in 1997 was Final Fantasy VIII, not alternate universe time ghost sephiroth overload physically fight destiny with weapons final fantasy.

Dacon

Banned
Who the fuck has been waiting 23 years for a sequel? I was promised again and again a faithful remake, and I didn't get it. They repeatedly stated that they would keep the core of the story intact and that we had nothing to worry about. A lie. A damn lie.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I'm confused by some of the post here. If you only wanted a graphic over hall, just get the pc version with some graphics mods. It's not a way to remake the game, without actually remaking the game.

I understand the remake can't please everyone, but if you want the old game, go play the original.

martino

I'm confused by some of the post here. If you only wanted a graphic over hall, just get the pc version with some graphics mods. It's not a way to remake the game, without actually remaking the game.

I understand the remake can't please everyone, but if you want the old game, go play the original.
there is even a vendatte from a guy not knowing the original *mindblowed.gif*

Daymos

I don't think now is the best time to buy and play the ff7 remake. I actually like final fantasy 15 now if you add up all the parts and pieces (and it runs well on ps4 pro/steady mode).. you can get them all from the movie/anime/dlc/etc. for less than $60.. if I had started on day 1 I'd be paying WELL over $100 over a year+ for a jittery experience.

Thus I'm just going to play stuff I haven't got to yet like the witcher 3 and dark souls 3. I'll get to the remake some other year.

Not all game companies are like this. Xenoblade2 came out with tons of content and no bugs, then had free dlc that added difficulty settings, and finally a paid dlc pack that was like a classic PC 'expansion' that gave you 40 hours of extra story/characters/new areas. The game wasn't for everyone, but the way they handled the release was fantastic.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kitase is such a fucking sell out. I don't think anyone back in 1997 played FF VII then immediately wanted it remade. That's a yikes from me. But then again what can you expect from someone who reused the same plot twice?

UKV8EhZ.gif

stickkidsam

I don't think now is the best time to buy and play the ff7 remake. I actually like final fantasy 15 now if you add up all the parts and pieces (and it runs well on ps4 pro/steady mode).. you can get them all from the movie/anime/dlc/etc. for less than $60.. if I had started on day 1 I'd be paying WELL over $100 over a year+ for a jittery experience.

Thus I'm just going to play stuff I haven't got to yet like the witcher 3 and dark souls 3. I'll get to the remake some other year.

Not all game companies are like this. Xenoblade2 came out with tons of content and no bugs, then had free dlc that added difficulty settings, and finally a paid dlc pack that was like a classic PC 'expansion' that gave you 40 hours of extra story/characters/new areas. The game wasn't for everyone, but the way they handled the release was fantastic.
Is this supposed to imply FFVII:R lacks content? There are plenty of great games that can be played, sure. What does that have to do with this game?

Its funny too because if they just remade the original with new graphics I would have already beaten the entire game in less time than I just spent in Midgar alone lol

Instead I have probably another 80+ hours if FFVII to look forward to.

Valonquar

The game was a Reboot more than a Remake. The only thing they could have changed more was having completely different looking characters, or a genderbend, which wouldn't surprise me too much if they did at this point. In before Cid is now a chick with a cowboy theme.

mortal

Gold Member
They marketed this game as remake, knowing full well diehard fans have been anticipating for 15 years.
Now they're selling fans a reboot, splitting it into multiple full priced games which is more like a new compilation of FFVII.

They couldn't remake the entire game at this scale, my ass. They knew what they were fucking doing lol

MiguelItUp

I mean remake =/= reboot. The term remake, even in films, never means the product is going to be a 1:1 recreation with minor updates. There is almost always some new significant content or changes being made in some way. It's an attempt to breathe some fresh air into whatever is being made. So old and new fans can enjoy it. Thankfully, the originals still exist, so you can just act like the remakes never happened if you'd like. Or just not even bother with them at all and ignore them, lol.

As VII was the only FF I really ever loved, I wasn't expecting them to be "so awesome and honest" with how they handled it. So I'm not surprised that they're milking the hell out of it. I haven't completed it yet, but I've enjoyed the experience quite a bit thus far. But I also didn't hop in with expectations of any form.

I'm still wondering if they're gonna try to make this a two or three parter. I mean, I'll have a better understanding once I wrap it up, but I already feel like they're drawing out so much. Too much more in the end and it's gonna feel like a damn chore to complete the entire game once it's all out, lol.

Shit, hopefully it'll be before I'm in my 40's. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

squallheart

I'm still trying to understand how is this considered a sequel. Doesn't a sequel take place after the events of the original so aerith, sephiroth wouldn't be there and Midgard would be a jungle. Isnt this pretty much a reboot 🤔

Nymphae

Banned
This is more like a reboot. They shouldn't call it Remake. It's misunderstanding.

I want to see actual accounts of people being duped by this insanely deceptive marketing.

It amazes me that this game exists at all, and even more that we have people going "WELL AKSHUALLY THIS IS BS IT AIN'T NO REMAKE"

HarryKS

No one's been waiting 23 years for it. 13-14 years since the infamous PS3 tech demo in 2005-2006 perhaps.

We only became aware of the possibility when they released that tech demo teaser.

Tiamat2san

Aerith must die.
If Sephiroth still kill her, it was was worth it.
I don’t mind changes if the most important moments in the original story are kept.

No one's been waiting 23 years for it. 13-14 years since the infamous PS3 tech demo in 2005-2006 perhaps.

We only became aware of the possibility when they released that tech demo teaser.

No. That was an FF8 tech demo before PS2's launch. You are right in a way, the tech demo for FF7 PS3 was released at the tail end of the PS2's run.

I've been waiting that long. Although technically the word I would use is not "waiting", I've "known" about it that long, because I've read interviews talking about it. That being said, back then the idea was less appealing to me. The idea back then was to remaster the games with PS2 graphics, which at the time I was still playing my PS1 originals so I was more interested in seeing new games from the series. However this probably why you hear some purists desiring a simple remaster of these games. It's after seeing the quality of those new releases drop that made me desire the quality of the past reimagined with todays technology. I personally think they nailed it, It's everything I ever wanted and more!

Lethal01

I think the game is already an absolutely masterpiece. But we are on the edge of next gen. I do think it's smart to wait and play it on ps5/pc if you got other stuff to hold you over.
It may just amount to some higher res textures and faster loading but not reason not to make your first experience with it the best it can be.

Fucking worst bait and switch in gaming history. Promised a very faithful remake, just expanded upon, yet we got a reboot instead. So, the next entry won't be Remake 2, but will have its own subtitle since it is no longer following the OG story. Sadly, too many fanboys are not only going along with it, but defending this blatantly false advertisement.

Glad I read spoilers and didn't give them my money.

I feel like most posters complaining about this have never known a single real artist in their lives. The only thing they live for is to produce new creative, boundary pushing content. Expecting someone like Nomura to put multiple years of his life into a simple graphical upgrade is delusional. He is literally only involved because he can improve, change and add things to the original.

If you want the original, play the original.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I feel like most posters complaining about this have never known a single real artist in their lives. The only thing they live for is to produce new creative, boundary pushing content. Expecting someone like Nomura to put multiple years of his life into a simple graphical upgrade is delusional. He is literally only involved because he can improve, change and add things to the original.

Then maybe they shouldn't advertise it as a faithful recreation of a beloved game and as what it is.

Tbh I was fine with all of the changes right up to the last chapter, which is what made it feel like more a kick in the nuts. Fun game, shit nonsensical ending.

ethomaz

Banned

Yeap an artist that is asked to fill a small part of the story with so much fillers to make it a 40 hours repeated experience to sell it like a full game.

Midgar should be few hours with you rushing to get out of there being chased by the “bad” guys.

They could waste the filler dev time making the first Episode up to Junon for example.... maybe that way they could have a 30 hours Journey to sell it like a full priced game.

Last edited:
Yeap an artist that is asked to fill a small part of the story with so much fillers to make it a 40 hours repeated experience to sell it like a full game.
So don't play it. They told everyone for 10 years that they didn't want to make FFVII, because it would take them so long, and be so big.

Well everyone still begged them for it and here we are.

Dark Oni

if people wanted to play the original they wouldn't ask for a remake but instead a new game like ff16
the original is hard to play because of the dated graphics so people wanted a remake to experience the same story/world with updated graphics and maybe gameplay nobody wanted this alternate dimension time travel fanfic butchered story

Last edited:

Dark Oni

So don't play it. They told everyone for 10 years that they didn't want to make FFVII, because it would take them so long, and be so big.

Well everyone still begged them for it and here we are.
they still shouldn't have complied if they were this incapable of it
if they didn't for 10 years why make it now? probably because they saw they could milk the fanbase by putting out any type of garbage they could think of

Top Bottom