• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 won’t be delayed ‘unless a meteor falls on Japan’ | PC Version could come eventually after six months on PS5

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
14-148484_meteor-png-final-fantasy-7-logo-vector.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either PS5 or PC, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, publicly apologize and release FFXVI for the PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

nikos

Shame about the PC version, if true. Guess I'll play it on PS5. Hopefully, since it's so optimized for the console, there isn't too much of a compromise to get 60 FPS.

Still would much rather play it on PC but I don't think I'd wait even if it definitely came six months later.

Last edited:

ungalo

If Sony wants to buy Square Enix and accepts the financial risks behind it they can do whatever they want, it's a long term strategy and a strategic stance that would say a lot about their desire to push for a certain kind of games, big respect for that. Plus it's a very clear situation for the public and what they have to expect for the generation to come.

Instead they liquidate Japan Studio and moneyhat third party games that would otherwise be multiplatform because they have no natural reasons to be exclusives. It's a shit move that adds absolutely nothing.

Aenima

Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either PS5 or PC, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, publicly apologize and release FFXVI for the PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Great copy/pasta memes should never die. Thanks.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
" I would like to release a PC version at some point so that everyone can play as many games as possible. However, even if we start optimizing the PC version after the PS5 version comes out, we won’t be able to optimize it in half a year, so it won’t come out in a short span of half a year."
Yeah I know. And from the link I posted:
"Nobody said a word about a PC version releasing. Why is it like a PC version is releasing 6 months later? Don't worry about that, buy a PS5!"

I just had a little fun with their declaration that's it, because we all know it is coming to PC and I can't wait to play it!

mckmas8808

Banned
Hope it flops tbh. Fair play console exclusivity but holding back pc is just bad business.

I'm sure it will sell well on ps5, but delaying the pc version eill surely affect overall sales massively. Better hope for square it's a 90 plus banger because anything less and I feel it will suffer in sales.

Man PLEASE!!! Nintendo does quite fine without any PC business. It'll release on PC in 2024 and many will like that.

This is why I don’t mind Microsoft buying publishers out right. If Sony can leverage their console market share to keep games exclusive, MS should be able to leverage their money to buy third party publishers. Only business, right?

Hope this continues going forward to be honest as MS will have more ammo to purchase all the studios they want.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Man PLEASE!!! Nintendo does quite fine without any PC business. It'll release on PC in 2024 and many will like that.

Nintendo isn't square and their games cost like 1 tenth the budget of something like this. They roll in profits because one game is guaranteed to sell 20 million copies minimum.

You think this is going to sell 20 million on ps5?

If its like an 80 to 85 metacritic it will be lucky to hit 6 million alone on ps5 within a year I think.

Ar¢tos

Probably not but then again, you also can't play FF7 Remake on Xbox and by the sound of it, it'll be the same story with FFXVI.

As long as Microsoft and Sony keep their little war in the console space, I or most PC players don't care.
Sony didn't buy Square to takeover their IPs, and also FF sales on Xbox are historically bad, with the gap between ps5 and xss/x increasing, even less motivation Square has to bother with an xsx version, not to mention being FORCED to make a XSS version with all its limitations, its less one headache for the devs. I really doubt Sony had to give much to Square for this type of exclusivity, Square probably offered it straight away just to have an excuse to not bother with Xbox.

yazenov

Glad that they are focusing on 1 platform to maximize performance and efficiency. Its a smart business decision to focus on the platform where the majority of your audience and sales are anyways that are willing to pay full price for the game.

Then later port it to the secondary platform down the line when its ready as to not affect either versions. Its a win win for the publisher and the consumer.

GHG

Gold Member
Hope it flops tbh. Fair play console exclusivity but holding back pc is just bad business.

I'm sure it will sell well on ps5, but delaying the pc version eill surely affect overall sales massively. Better hope for square it's a 90 plus banger because anything less and I feel it will suffer in sales.

How sad do you have to be to hope a game flops just because of a platform delay.

This is bottom of the barrel stuff but we all know what it's really about. Hope you keep the same energy when games skip or are delayed for other platforms.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Sony didn't buy Square to takeover their IPs, and also FF sales on Xbox are historically bad, with the gap between ps5 and xss/x increasing, even less motivation Square has to bother with an xsx version, not to mention being FORCED to make a XSS version with all its limitations, its less one headache for the devs. I really doubt Sony had to give much to Square for this type of exclusivity, Square probably offered it straight away just to have an excuse to not bother with Xbox.
Then why are they still securing exclusivity deals anyway? The narrative you're presenting suggests Sony has nothing to do with FF not being on Xbox, rather, you're implying it's an SE decision. If such was the case, Sony should just keep their money because SE wouldn't release FF for Xbox anyway.

The point being that two wrongs doesn't make a right so going "bu bu but what about Xbox?" changes nothing to the shitty tactics of Sony and indeed, the opposite is also true. The difference is that at least with Xbox, PC isn't really affected whereas with Sony, they also block or delay PC releases when it's not even their primary competition. Undercutting your rivals is a business tactic so it's whatever. I just don't like PC getting caught in the crossfire when Sony does its shenanigans. I'd have the same discourse if Xbox was doing it to PC as well.

On a personal selfish level, I was actually hoping it'd get delayed by a couple weeks, so I have more time with Diablo 4.

Also I have to leave home for a few days to go to a wedding literally on the day FFXVI drops.

now you know whats the perfect gift for the wedding

Ar¢tos

Then why are they still securing exclusivity deals anyway? The narrative you're presenting suggests Sony has nothing to do with FF not being on Xbox, rather, you're implying it's an SE decision. If such was the case, Sony should just keep their money because SE wouldn't release FF for Xbox anyway.

The point being that two wrongs doesn't make a right so going "bu bu but what about Xbox?" changes nothing to the shitty tactics of Sony and indeed, the opposite is also true. The difference is that at least with Xbox, PC isn't really affected whereas with Sony, they also block or delay PC releases when it's not even their primary competition. Undercutting your rivals is a business tactic so it's whatever. I just don't like PC getting caught in the crossfire when Sony does its shenanigans. I'd have the same discourse if Xbox was doing it to PC as well.
I'm not saying Sony has nothing to do with the exclusivity, just that Square probably doesn't need as much incentive as other big devs to give that exclusivity. Sony surely wants to continue being associated with FF and wants the marketing rights.
Nothing suggests Sony delayed the pc release, instead suggests that Square wants to release the ps5 version first to start recouping the money spent in years of development while they optimize the pc version that, as they say, will take over 6 months to optimize (endless hardware combinations cause this).

Gaiff

Gold Member
I'm not saying Sony has nothing to do with the exclusivity, just that Square probably doesn't need as much incentive as other big devs to give that exclusivity. Sony surely wants to continue being associated with FF and wants the marketing rights.
Nothing suggests Sony delayed the pc release, instead suggests that Square wants to release the ps5 version first to start recouping the money spent in years of development while they optimize the pc version that, as they say, will take over 6 months to optimize (endless hardware combinations cause this).
Doubtful. SE releases almost all of their games day and date with PC and FFXVI is randomly coming over 6 months later? Hard to believe it wasn't Sony who secured a deal for their big game. What you say is a possibility, but precedents suggest that it's a Sony thing and not just SE suddenly going "fuck, let's optimize it for PS5 only". This doesn't line up with their release history of the past few years.

Then again, they also released DQ over a year later for PC so it could simply be a case of that.

NonPhixion

Doubtful. SE releases almost all of their games day and date with PC and FFXVI is randomly coming over 6 months later? Hard to believe it wasn't Sony who secured a deal for their big game. What you say is a possibility, but precedents suggest that it's a Sony thing and not just SE suddenly going "fuck, let's optimize it for PS5 only". This doesn't line up with their release history of the past few years.

Then again, they also released DQ over a year later for PC so it could simply be a case of that.
How many Final Fantasy games have released day 1 on PC?

mckmas8808

Banned
Nintendo isn't square and their games cost like 1 tenth the budget of something like this. They roll in profits because one game is guaranteed to sell 20 million copies minimum.

You think this is going to sell 20 million on ps5?

If its like an 80 to 85 metacritic it will be lucky to hit 6 million alone on ps5 within a year I think.

I think it will score around an 85. And yes, I do think it'll sell around 6 million units on the PS5 at $70. So that's about $300 million going to Square after you take out Sony's 30%. And with Sony paying for marketing.....that's not bad at all. That covers the cost of the game probably two times over.

And then.......they'll release it on PC with all the bells and whistles a year later and maybe sell another 2 million. I'd be surprised after a drop in price, if it doesn't sell at least 10 million total in 18 or so months. That's great money!

Sony is funny, they devalue their console by putting their first party games on PC and yet continue to do shit like that. Anyway, my backlog is filled with great games so I can wait no problem.

They’re doing the same thing with FF16 that they do ith their on games. PS5 first, and pc port a year later

They are treating and marketing FF16 exactly the same way as they market their AAA games

Last edited:
Top Bottom