• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 won’t be delayed ‘unless a meteor falls on Japan’ | PC Version could come eventually after six months on PS5

Metnut

Very happy they are optimizing this for PS5 and not spending tons of resources making it run on the two XBoxes and PCs. Looks like it led to a pretty smooth development cycle.

The results so far make it look like the decision is paying off. Can’t wait to see some more of the exploration/world gameplay.

Gaiff

So a spinoff made by Team Ninja, thats what you’re setting your expectations for future final fantasy titles?
Still part of the FF series and still published by SE. Mainline FF games don't come around all that often and when FFXV was released, SE was still releasing games a bit later on PC. It wasn't until recently that they started embracing the platform and releasing semi-competent ports/pc versions.

DarthPutin

Maybe we should believe developer instead of suggesting that he's a liar. And if he's telling the truth, it sounds like simultaneous release would just delay release of the game on all platoforms. So the only damage to PC players is FOMO, and otherwise everyone would have to wait till 2024 in shared misery.

Still part of the FF series and still published by SE. Mainline FF games don't come around all that often and when FFXV was released, SE was still releasing games a bit later on PC. It wasn't until recently that they started embracing the platform and releasing semi-competent ports/pc versions.

So you’re just gonna ignore FF7 Remake?

Last edited:

Gaiff

So you’re just gonna ignore FF7 Remake?
You mean the other one Sony secured as an exclusive?
Could have mentioned the Criss Core remaster too! These spin-off games certainly help your “pc day 1” point. I stand corrected.
Now the goalposts has been moved. SE releases damn near every one of their games on PC on day 1 except a select few and it's because they just decide that they wanna optimize it for Playstation. Nothing to do with Sony moneyhatting them. It's not like we don't have a precedent for that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it will score around an 85. And yes, I do think it'll sell around 6 million units on the PS5 at $70. So that's about $300 million going to Square after you take out Sony's 30%. And with Sony paying for marketing.....that's not bad at all. That covers the cost of the game probably two times over.

And then.......they'll release it on PC with all the bells and whistles a year later and maybe sell another 2 million. I'd be surprised after a drop in price, if it doesn't sell at least 10 million total in 18 or so months. That's great money!

6 million at 70 dollars just on ps5 ain't happening imo but ...fingers crossed for square.

To be honest, this exclusivity will have cost Sony a small fortune so they will probs pull the funds back.

yazenov

Maybe you guys should all stop imagining stupid fake worlds and go mow a few yards so you can buy all the systems. Then everyone can shut the fuck up.

I hate to rub it in your face but I am rich as fuck and money is no issue for me. Buying all consoles is still a waste of my money as I won't have the time to use all of them. I bearly play games on the PS5 and PC.

Not everybody has free time like you.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

You mean the other one Sony secured as an exclusive?

Now the goalposts has been moved. SE releases damn near every one of their games on PC on day 1 except a select few and it's because they just decide that they wanna optimize it for Playstation. Nothing to do with Sony moneyhatting them. It's not like we don't have a precedent for that.
Goal posts? My questions was how many Final Fantasy games are released on PC day one. We’ve figured out the answer is 2. I’m here talking about the IP in question, you’re here talking about everything else.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
1- Shows the game running "optimized" on PC...
2- Says it will take 6 months more to optimize the PC version...
3- Profit... from double dipers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hate to rub it in your face but I am rich as fuck and money is no issue for me. Buying all consoles is still a waste of my money as I won't have the time to use all of them. I bearly play games on the PS5 and PC.

My comment is really just aimed at people that seem very worried about whether or not they can play every potential exclusive. If this doesn't apply to you, then congratulations.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe you guys should all stop imagining stupid fake worlds and go mow a few yards so you can buy all the systems. Then everyone can shut the fuck up.
I don’t own all systems but people can still be reasonable and not be “fanboy” about it.

Still jealous for Hi-Fi Rush
crying-boy.gif

Last edited:

Lethal01

Everything I said remains the truth and this literally backs up my points, the game is made on pc so ofcourse you can get pc footage even though you don't have a "PC version" and regardless of your plans to release one.
Them saying that they need to do a lot of work to get a pc version ready 6 months after release only proves this.

"Captured on PC" does not mean "has pc version"
Zelda: Breath of the wild had footage that was "captured on pc" so did Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Goal posts? My questions was how many Final Fantasy games are released on PC day one. We’ve figured out the answer is 2. I’m here talking about the IP in question, you’re here talking about everything else.
But isn't that the point? There have been what, 2 major FF games in the past 6 years or so? We know Sony had rights to FF7R and this one as well. Almost every SE game gets released on PC day 1 except their flagship franchise that magically doesn't and it's because all of a sudden, they wanna optimize it? SE doesn't benefit from that, they're a publisher so a day 1 release on all platforms is what is best for them.

I'm saying that based on precedents and what we know, it's far more likely that the deal with Sony causes the PC version to get delayed rather than SE wanting to focus on a single platform.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
6 million at 70 dollars just on ps5 ain't happening imo but ...fingers crossed for square.

To be honest, this exclusivity will have cost Sony a small fortune so they will probs pull the funds back.

Yeah maybe that is more hoping more than anything. But I can see it doing 4 million at full price at a minimum. And it wouldn't surprise me if Sony gave Square $50 million in marketing a exclusive rights money for it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
On a personal level, sure. On the Gaf persona and internet levels... ehhhh.
On every level it obviously helps. If you want to play a game so bad, buy it and play it. That's been the case since the NES vs. the Genesis. Nowhere did I say this makes you a zen monk with zero preferences or biases, but hopefully it can allow you to get through a single thread without shitting the bed complaining about the same shit for years.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On every level it obviously helps. If you want to play a game so bad, buy it and play it. That's been the case since the NES vs. the Genesis. Nowhere did I say this makes you a zen monk with zero preferences or biases, but hopefully it can allow you to get through a single thread without shitting the bed complaining about the same shit for years.
Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What did I do exactly that you're so against? You obviously have a problem with how I act, so just say it instead of vaguely hinting at it over and over.
Why are you being so defensive? I am having a general conversation with you, speaking in generals as far as online gaming communities, especially here. Not you directly.
Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

Klosshufvud

One might wonder why a AAA game has issues being developed on two platforms simultaneously. Are they contractually prohibited to start PC-specific optimizations before PS5 launch? I say optimizations because there is no way they aren't already developing this game around a PC-like environment. The initial trailer was after all from a PC build. If it's a matter of resources, then it's odd that other third-party games seem to do just fine delivering multiplat releases.

Lethal01

Don't remember this. Screenshots?

They were used for promotional reasons, I specifically remember people talking about it when Nintendo released "4k screenshots of BoTW" Months before it's release.

Sadly searching "4k breath of the wild screenshots" now just points me to tons and tons of links of Breath of the wild running on an emulator so it seems like finding it would take a chunk of my time that I honestly just don't want to spend on internet arguments. So if you can't take my word for it fine. We will both just have to life thinking we are right when someone else think we are wrong, a tragedy to be sure.

Anyway, never had any issue with people thinking a PC version extremely likely, I did too, I just find, "captured on pc" to be extremely weak evidence.

Last edited:

Gaiff

They were used for promotional reasons, I specifically remember people talking about it when Nintendo released "4k screenshots of BoTW" Months before it's release.

Sadly searching "4k breath of the wild screenshots" now just points me to tons and tons of links of Breath of the wild running on an emulator so it seems like finding it would take a chunk of my time that I honestly just don't want to spend on internet arguments. So if you can't take my word for it fine. We will both just have to life thinking we are right when someone else think we are wrong, a tragedy to be sure.
One has proof, the other one goes "trust me bro" but by all means, keep thinking you are right.

Lethal01

One has proof, the other one goes "trust me bro" but by all means, keep thinking you are right.
You've shared no proof. The difference is I actually have the game's creator backing up what I'm saying.

but here
kJJLejl.jpg

This is one of the 4k screenshots.

Here is a link dated back to 2016.

It was from Nintendo's E3 press kit, with a disclaimer that these shots were not captured on WiiU and not refletive of the final game.
However if this is not enough for you it would be pretty easy to find other games that had PC footage but never a PC version, there's really no reason to get hung up on this specific example.

Last edited:

Gaiff

You've shared no proof. The difference is I actually have the game's creator backing up what I'm saying.

but here
kJJLejl.jpg

This is one of the 4k screenshots.

Here is a link dated back to 2016.

It was from Nintendo's E3 press kit, with a disclaimer that these shots were not captured on WiiU and not refletive of the final game.
However if this is not enough for you it would be pretty easy to find other games that had PC footage but never a PC version, there's really no reason to get hung up on this specific example.

The proof is literally in the trailer where there is a nice little "captured on PC".

Where do these screenshots say "captured on PC"? They don't because there was never any PC version in the work unlike Final Fantasy. You got a trailer nicely saying "Captured on PC", a month later the dev comes out and talks about the PC version yet you go "this doesn't mean there will be a PC version" and your counter-argument is BOTW without any mention of it being captured on PC anywhere.

Brilliant argument.

Lethal01

You got a trailer nicely saying "Captured on PC"
To which I said
fact remains that having footage from PC does not really mean there is a PC specific version being made.
---
a month later the dev comes out and talks about the PC version yet you go
No a month later the dev talks about how they DON'T have a PC and they can't get one into an acceptable state for release in 6 months. Which directly supports what I was saying.

I'm saying that for the last decade or so large game developers have been working on engines that allow them to (while in engine) hit a button and run the game inside of an editor or some kind of development suite even when you are working on a standard windows PC while developing a game for 3DS. Granted I can't speak for every engine in the industry but I can atleast say that's the case for Capcom's "RE Engine" and Square's "Crystal tool". It does not mean that the game doesn't have a bunch of PC specific glitches and giant performance issues.

So again, you've only posted proof that being "captured on pc" does not mean they have a proper pc version. Every attempt you make to hurt my points has only made them stronger and it's comedic that you can't see that.

Last edited:

Gaiff

To which I said

---
This isn't the argument. The argument is that no developer ever releases a trailer with "captured on PC" without a PC version. Furthermore, who knows where those screenshots of BOTW were taken? Was it a Switch dev kit? Pre-rendered footage? In-engine screenshots that were then upscaled to high-resolution screenshots? It's cute that you say "this is PC footage" without actual proof.
No a month later the dev talks about how they DON'T have a PC and they can't get one into an acceptable state for release in 6 months. Which directly supports what I was saying.
No, he never said that they don't have a PC version. You just made that up.
So again, you've only posted proof that being "captured on pc" does not mean they have a proper pc version. Every attempt you make to hurt my points has only made them stronger and it's comedic that you can't see that.
Your stronger points by bringing BOTW "captured on PC screenshots", and then blatantly lying about what the developer said? Sure. Cute that a PC version is coming and we had PC footage yet the "Captured on PC" wasn't proof enough.

If you don’t have free time, then you should have no problem waiting on a PC port

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think I’ll rent this down the road when I get one of those $1 a month offers from GameFly. I get them them 2-3 times a year.

Lethal01

The argument is that no developer ever releases a trailer with "captured on PC" without a PC version.
If you think that, for example a game running in the Unreal Engine editor is by definition of pc version of the game then we agree.

However I don't see that as a pc version at all since it can be so unoptimized and buggy that it could take a year to get it in an acceptable state for release.

Yoshida just stated that the game is not in a state where it could be ready for pc release in 6 months so I wouldn't say that a real pc version exists or that they've really put any time into making one.

Last edited:

RGB'D

SE will continue to be moneyhatted by SONY and in 6 months to 1 year will release another report on disappointing financials.

Raonak

Banned
Hope it flops tbh. Fair play console exclusivity but holding back pc is just bad business.

I'm sure it will sell well on ps5, but delaying the pc version eill surely affect overall sales massively. Better hope for square it's a 90 plus banger because anything less and I feel it will suffer in sales.
So you'd prefer they delay the PS5 version for the PC release to get ready? Or release the PC version even more undercooked than it already will be?

Even though games are developed on PC, those are development spec PCs. for an actual full release for PC, you have to literally take every configuration into account, not to mention flesh out all the various options that PC games have, and then do the testing ontop of that.

The optimisation requirements is simply far easier for a single platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom