• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 will be GOTY and the ultimate FF game.

StereoVsn

Hopefully it will be a good game, but GOTY and best ever FF? Nah, can't see that.

Personally I have no interest in this game at this moment. No party control and character action combat combined in a long RPG just don't do it for me. And I did like DMCV and say Yakuza games.

Roxkis_ii

Can't call it GOTY without playing it. Got to see how good the story is, and if it has any unforgettable moments.

I like what I see so far, but we can't let the hype carry us to the moon.

Mozzarella

I doubt it now after Zelda TOTK release.
TOTK, RE4 and potentially Starfield & Spiderman 2 are going to be tough competition for Final Fantasy 16

Go_Ly_Dow

FF and Zelda, two series that have been around for what, 30-40 years now? Both have had to reinvent the wheel, keep fans engaged, gain new fans, evolve from 2d sprites and backgrounds to the insane and complex detail that games have today. The point I'm getting too, is that its damn impressive that here in 2023 we are talking about either series being considered as being one of the best games of the year. You wouldn't have thought the back in the early 1990s...

I always want to see both series succeed and be as good as they can, so its bizarre reading a few in this thread kind of wanting either game to fail. There should be a mutual respect imo considering what both series have achieved to remain relevant today.

Anyway, both FF and Zelda have always been different. Zelda is a much more mechanic and exploration driven adventure, that's always been the template. Whilst I'd say FF is driven by narrative, characters, cinematics and combat.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'll have to actually play it to see if I'm sold or not. Character action games have traditionally devolved into button mashing for me, because I haven't yet had one grasp my interest enough to memorize combos or anything.

Granted, it's also been about twelve years since I've tried the genre.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FF and Zelda, two series that have been around for what, 30-40 years now? Both have had to reinvent the wheel, keep fans engaged, gain new fans, evolve from 2d sprites and backgrounds to the insane and complex detail that games have today. The point I'm getting too, is that its damn impressive that here in 2023 we are talking about either series being considered as being one of the best games of the year. You wouldn't have thought the back in the early 1990s...

I always want to see both series succeed and be as good as they can, so its bizarre reading a few in this thread kind of wanting either game to fail. There should be a mutual respect imo considering what both series have achieved to remain relevant today.

Anyway, both FF and Zelda have always been different. Zelda is a much more mechanic and exploration driven adventure, that's always been the template. Whilst I'd say FF is driven by narrative, characters, cinematics and combat.
Best part is we don’t have choose we can play both, especially the fact they are not coming out in same month.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
With the top 3 games this year, I doubt it will be close to that.

It's locked down between starfield, tears of kingdom and spiderman 2.
Yeah it's honestly hard to imagine anything beating Zelda's metacritic. And Spiderman and Starfield are gonna be monsters.

FF16 will be good but not GotY.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Zelda says otherwise, and starfield is the one to watch after this. FF16 is day one for me and I still don’t see it winning GOTY awards with such a packed line up.

Could it be my personal GOTY ? Maybe. Overall for the masses ? Doubt.

Am I missing something here? The gameplay looks so limited compared to other action RPGS. Sure, the Eidolons look cool, but how far are they going with that? What is the world like? What’s it’s structure? It’s looks like it could fizzle out real quick. I hope I am wrong, but I’m tired of FF shattering my heart

Spider-Man wasn't anything that special to begin with. Very polished combat, and as expected, movie heavy. Game had a ton of fluff though, walking around to trigger cutscene, slow stealth sections, and disappointing web-slinging (Spider-Man 2 is still king). Doesn't help that I personally didn't like the story very much, or the character roles. I expect Spider-Man 2 to be more the same, just like Miles Morales. New powers, new suits (Venom suit?). Same City? Will Venom be playable, or just a boss fight? I'll need to see the unveiling of course, but I don't have all that high of expectations. Insomniac games have always just been 'okay' to me.

Zelda is offering insane variety, possibilities, and bringing back them dungeons, into the open world format --something I really wanted to see happen after the first game. I'll be playing it tomorrow, so I'll see if it's worth its salt or not.

Final Fantasy XVI was my most anticipated game of the year (until I saw the new stuff Zelda was offering, and not just the same old world remixed). Reasons being, I think it'll have a strong story with political intrigue, betrayals, wars, factions, everything I enjoy about dark fantasy and medieval drama. Soken is on music duties and I think the soundtrack will deliver the feels! I enjoy action games, so I'm all for some blood pumping showdowns. Voice acting sounds fantastic from the previews! Biggest concern I have with the game is variety. I feel like the game-play could fall into a stale loop (like Spider-Man) after so many combat encounters, and it'll be the story that keeps me pushing on until the end.

We'll see what happens. Really looking forward to starting Zelda, and I have HIGH hopes that the team that shocked the world in reviving a dead MMO game can do it again and mark a new standard for mainline Final Fantasy games.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I would say FFXVI (or any game) winning GotY hinged almost entirely on how well TotK reviewed. If TotK scored somewhere between 88 - 93, we could then have an honest conversation about GotY.

That said there are other categories to consider here with TGAs. Such as:

Best Narrative
Best Directing
Best Roleplaying
Best Performance
Best Music
Best Action Adventure
Etc etc

If FFXVI sticks the landing, it would probably be a strong contender for some of these categories.

Reactions: Fbh

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Overrated. So Overrated it's considered "Underrated" despite everyone sucking it off to kingdom come.
Monkey What GIF by namslam

Madflavor

I’ll be happy if the day the review embargo lifts, I click a review thread and see a 90+ MC score. I don’t need FFXVI to be GotY. I need it to be genuinely great. It’s looks amazing, the story and the characters do too, I just want it to deliver.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I really don't think so. But I sure hope it's good. Definitely won't be my favorite FF though. I'll check it out, but if it is anything like all FFs since XI and XII, I'm not investing more than ten minutes on it. And I'm definitely not gonna buy It.

If however it is similar to FFs before XI, I'm totally in. I'm willing to give it a chance. I probably shouldn't but I will.

Last edited:

Danjin44

No, it's another linear piece of shit corridor with forced slow walking and handolding. (Among all the other issues)
I enjoyed FFVIIR a lot, especially playing on hard difficulty made me appreciate the game even more.

Myths

Maybe, but we don’t need a new thread every other week about it. Keep this under a single thread.

No, it's another linear piece of shit corridor with forced slow walking and handholding. (Among all the other more glaring issues)
I really didn't like how much filler that game had. The midgar arc was a quarter of the OG FF7 game and did not need to be bloated out into an entire game almost as long as the original. It fucks with the pacing.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
I really didn't like how much filler that game had. The midgar arc was a quarter of the OG FF7 game and did not need to be bloated out into an entire game almost as long as the original. It fucks with the pacing.
Oh boy, don't even let me get started with the bloat and needless sections.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
No, it's another linear piece of shit corridor with forced slow walking and handholding. (Among all the other more glaring issues)

Visuals, music, and combat system are all top tier, though. If they can mix their audio better, and make the next title less linear (it's hard to explain, but it felt less like an RPG, and more like a TPS campaign. There weren't any open spots with wandering enemies/weather/day-night cycle. If I wanted to grind, or farm, or just play the game without a big srs mssn, I literally had to go back to old mini dungeons like the Tallager Factory and walk from front to back and back. This is the sign of a game that has TOO MANY intricate and deep systems for how much actual GAME is there. )

Fuz

Banned
What didn't you like about the combat? Not trying to start a heated debate, I'm just curious.
It's not *that* bad, there were moments when I enjoyed it, but it's far from being as great as people keep saying. Materia leveling is annoying, considering it's not as the original where you keep battling over and over [And I ended up not using the setups I wanted because I had to level other materias]. Issuing commands is convoluted and the AI for companions is laughably bad. It's very clunky, the ATB mixed with real time don't really work, and in trying to please both sides (turn lovers and action lovers) it ended up being neither fish nor fowl.

[This is just top of my mind, I should replay it to take notes]

Last edited:

Katatonic

It's not *that* bad, there were moments when I enjoyed it, but it's far from being as great as people keep saying. Materia leveling is annoying, considering it's not as the original where you keep battling over and over. Issuing commands is convoluted and the AI for companions is laughably bad. It's very clunky, the ATB mixed with real time don't really work, and in trying to please both sides (turn lovers and action lovers) it ended up being neither fish nor fowl.
I agree. FF7R left me cold. That's why I'm glad they went full DMC on steroids for 16.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
If something is constantly called "underrated" then it is overrated paradoxically.
Or maybe it stopped being underappreciated because it finally was recognized as being the best FF after years of negligence.

Takes time for people to realize some things.

Such as FF16 not being
a real Final Fantasy

Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

BbMajor7th

Oh boy, don't even let me get started with the bloat and needless sections.
I personally enjoyed the Scooby-Doo chase scene through the sewers. It definitely didn't out stay its welcome or look like procedural generation on an off day.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's not *that* bad, there were moments when I enjoyed it, but it's far from being as great as people keep saying. Materia leveling is annoying, considering it's not as the original where you keep battling over and over [And I ended up not using the setups I wanted because I had to level other materias]. Issuing commands is convoluted and the AI for companions is laughably bad. It's very clunky, the ATB mixed with real time don't really work, and in trying to please both sides (turn lovers and action lovers) it ended up being neither fish nor fowl.

[This is just top of my mind, I should replay it to take notes]

One thing I'll say, the game kind of forces you to constantly rotate the player Character because the AI will almost never gain any ATB by itself. It's a constraint for sure. It clicked for me, overall, but I won't pretend it's an absolutely flawless system.

I looked at it as a Fusion of the basic elements of FFXV and XIII's combat. I suppose through that lens, seeing how far the stagger system has evolved and how much better it functions than it's original appearance and things like that make me biased, but...it's an interesting topic.

Edit: I'd read through a RTTP by a guy who has issues with the Battle system. Shit like that is fascinating to me.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hopefully it will be a good game, but GOTY and best ever FF? Nah, can't see that.

Personally I have no interest in this game at this moment. No party control and character action combat combined in a long RPG just don't do it for me. And I did like DMCV and say Yakuza games.
This is why OP is going to have thread creating privileges revoked. Need to stop the 10 year olds masquerading as Miss Cleo threads! 🤣

Danjin44

This time around they show off the game a lot at this point you either in to it or you are not, I'm absolutely LOVING everything I seen so far, it could end up my personal GOTY ( so could Tear of Kingdom and Armored Core VI).

Some people always be too jaded when it comes to FF games.

Everyone thinking Zelda has it locked is in for a surprise. I have been playing Zelda for the last week or so it's amazing in every aspect from beginning to end. My personal score is 97 again it is amazing. The things that make the new Zelda game great for me are the small things. The return of the dungeons and the classic discovery theme. More music interwoven in the game world.
A lot of people that have played both Zelda and FFXVI are still calling XVI GOTY. This year will be very interesting. Diablo IV's seasons and battle pass structure is going to rub a lot of people especially casuals the wrong way. I don't think it will contend, so far the story isn't its strong point.

For me, I know it is going to be between Octopath II, Tears, Baldurs Gate III and XVI. People saying Star Field is going to be in contention, I don't see it how many hands on have they had for it? Bethesda is showing no confidence in the game at all. Square has allowed hundreds of people to play XVI for several months now. The game went gold three months ago and was being polished long before that. Whoever said SE doesn't make good games obviously has not played XIV or Octopath II. As far as the actual award goes this year I do think it's a two horse race. Tears of the Kingdom and Final Fantasy XVI.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

ultimate it mean it would has everything. controllable party member, controllable traverseable airships etc.

but even without that, what we got is is already enough and more than any offline FF released since PS360 era imo.

it could be one of best FF ever made. but ultimate definition is too broad.

if they can maintain storyline like how FF14 does with Heavensward, Shadowbringers and Endwalker, deliver the gameplay as it advertised and the world structure is working as intended(big scale, lot of explorable big area, tons of actual cities etc) then yes.

i has faith with the team but better we held back our hype a bit.

Last edited:
Maybe if the combat was turn based and not character action and if Final Fantasy VI didn’t exist.

That and the 7 remake was awful.

I’m day one but my expectations are mild.

AngelMuffin

Havnt really liked, let alone loved, a FF since FFX. I’m just hoping for a great story and combat that’s no too bombastic with a lot of throw backs to earlier titles. Cautiously optimistic about this one.

Are you saying that it's similar to RDR2 since GOW won that year?
maybe....We could see "Next-Gen" only games that blown minds and do "never before seen" things in terms of mechanics and gameplay....but most importantly, and the Achilles Heel of TOTK (Nintendo for that matter)....story/storytelling.

Madflavor

Everyone thinking Zelda has it locked is in for a surprise. I have been playing Zelda for the last week or so it's amazing in every aspect from beginning to end. My personal score is 97 again it is amazing. The things that make the new Zelda game great for me are the small things. The return of the dungeons and the classic discovery theme. More music interwoven in the game world.
A lot of people that have played both Zelda and FFXVI are still calling XVI GOTY. This year will be very interesting.

But here’s the thing. They played TotK’s full length, but only a preview of FFXVI.

Top Bottom