• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 final hands on previews are coming out

Guilty_AI

to be fair, the story and all that sounds amazing. That's whats won me over from the previews.

I'll just have to see how I feel about all the swearing and game of thrones story...

Maybe it might be a little too.... SHOCKING!
Honestly comparing it to Game of Thrones is also a red flag in my book. Stories like GoT shine on the political intrigues and the character development that happens through those.

This is an ACTION story that follows ONE character going in a journey the vast majority of the time, if not throughout all the game.

The GoT comparisons probably come from journos who are thinking stuff like "Theres sex! So mature!" or "Characters die! OMG so deep!"

Btw, 90% chance that dog is gonna die at some point later in the game. Its too easy.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Well, to be fair... I worry about EVERY story. Find that any story or story theme can be great or useless...it comes down to how its presented and packaged. But we can only know after the game is out.
Thats the problem. "Mature" is not a story theme, at best its refering to some r-18 content filter.

Whoever uses "mature" to describe story themes likely does not understand the story in the first place. And if the author itself uses it that way, thats a huuuuge red flag, because, again, it doesn't imply or describes anything. Its almost always end up being some low hanging dark-edgy fruits.

Mr.Phoenix

Honestly comparing it to Game of Thrones is also a red flag in my book. Stories like GoT shine on the political intrigues and the character development that happens through those.

This is an ACTION story that follows ONE character going in a journey the vast majority of the time, if not throughout all the game.

The GoT comparisons probably come from journos who are thinking stuff like "Theres sex! So mature!" or "Characters die! OMG so deep!"

Btw, 90% chance that dog is gonna die at some point later in the game. Its too easy.
I think this is an unfair way of looking at it.

Dog dying doesn't mean its bad or too easy, at the end of it if that happens what's important is how it came to be. Seen Braveheart? Anyone with a passing interest in History knew Wallace dies, that doesn't make it any less of a good story, does it?

And you can have political drama even if focused on just one character... this can be done through interactions with other characters or story-driving cut scenes with other characters completely, I mean, there are many ways a story can be told. And saying a mature story, while that is not a theme, is just another way of saying that his story isn't going to pull any punches and is dark. Meaning it speaks more the tone of the story and not the theme. And what do we even expect them to say? its good they are not outright spelling out what the theme of the story is but instead just talking about its tone. As it stands, it can end up being a love story for all we know. Or a brother-killing brother story...whatever.

Either way, this is something I feel we can only know after the game is out. What you are doing now, is akin to fear-mongering. You are saying this based on not just an assumption, but the worst possible one.

Myths

The game is an action JRPG. Plain and simple. It isn't even the first for the franchise, so I'm not sure what's so shocking about it.

And there's plenty of "world to explore." There are several areas that you visit from a map, some are big and open, some are more linear and dungeon-like (but still have plenty of branches). It's exactly a Final Fantasy RPG.
I always find it weird that people will sample the first 10 or so games as the basis for what the franchise should be while discarding the entries that followed.

The games bear such close similarities as a consequence of design decisions and technological limitations at the time. As time progressed they were able to trade off the narrative aspect (FF7 introducing CGI) for more focus on gameplay innovations (FF12 ADB and beyond).

Guilty_AI

I think this is an unfair way of looking at it.

Dog dying doesn't mean its bad or too easy, at the end of it if that happens what's important is how it came to be. Seen Braveheart? Anyone with a passing interest in History knew Wallace dies, that doesn't make it any less of a good story, does it?

And you can have political drama even if focused on just one character... this can be done through interactions with other characters or story-driving cut scenes with other characters completely, I mean, there are many ways a story can be told. And saying a mature story, while that is not a theme, is just another way of saying that his story isn't going to pull any punches and is dark. Meaning it speaks more the tone of the story and not the theme. And what do we even expect them to say? its good they are not outright spelling out what the theme of the story is but instead just talking about its tone. As it stands, it can end up being a love story for all we know. Or a brother-killing brother story...whatever.

Either way, this is something I feel we can only know after the game is out. What you are doing now, is akin to fear-mongering. You are saying this based on not just an assumption, but the worst possible one.
I'm mainly criticizing the way they're presenting and hyping up the story. Of course i don't know how it'll turn out, but from what they've shown, the way they've shown it, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

And theres a huge difference between not pulling punches and punching just for the sake of punching. It being the later is what worries me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It definitely feels like the cheques have cleared for this game. It ticks all the boxes.

First major exclusive in over 6 months. Next gen consoles have had a weak release schedule until the really great star wars jedi survivor. Absolutely starving journalists trying to support their wages and media hype cycle...glossing over huge things such as shite performance and a mixed 30 / 60 fps performance mode in this build. Did anyone ask square if it would be 60 across both at launch? Do these people do a job?

No all they can do is gush over the next big hyped exclusive because they can't risk losing their access to be flown out to these events and cover the big games...

I'm happy the game could be amazing but this routine hype cycle and "journalist" preview is terrible.

Last edited:

Madflavor

It definitely feels like the cheques have cleared for this game. It ticks all the boxes.

First major exclusive in over 6 months. Next gen consoles have had a weak release schedule until the really great star wars jedi survivor. Absolutely starving journalists trying to support their wages and media hype cycle...glossing over huge things such as shite performance and a mixed 30 / 60 fps performance mode in this build. Did anyone ask square if it would be 60 across both at launch? Do these people do a job?

No all they can do is gush over the next big hyped exclusive because they can't risk losing their access to be flown out to these events and cover the big games...

I'm happy the game could be amazing but this routine hype cycle and "journalist" preview is terrible.

It wasn't glossed over. People have brought it up. EZ Allies and Max come to mind. And the question was already answered:

I'm mainly criticizing the way they're presenting and hyping up the story. Of course i don't know how it'll turn out, but from what they've shown, the way they've shown it, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

And theres a huge difference between not pulling punches and punching just for the sake of punching. It being the later is what worries me.

It's the first Final Fantasy with mature themes aimed toward adults, so of course it's going to be a point of discussion. The Revenge plot of the story is surface level. They've said it multiple times, but don't want to go too deep into the story to avoid spoilers. I don't know if you've only seen a select few moments from the game, or if you've seen everything they've release up until now, but we've seen plenty of samples of cutscenes with really good dialogue and VA, and plenty of political intrigue. As a FFXIV player, I can tell you that the writers know what they're doing. FFXIV and particularly Heavensward are very well written, and the impressions I'm seeing show that level of narrative competence seems to be carrying over to this game.

The interview with the lead protagonist VA shows how confident they are in the game, and how multilayered characters like Clive will be.

Luigi Mario

Imagine talking about review cheques having cleared and then bringing up Star Was, which was a technical disaster on all platforms at release but still received high scores.
There is a pretty good chance FFXVI will actually release in a working condition compared to Jedi Survivor.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imagine talking about review cheques having cleared and then bringing up Jedi Survivor, which was a technical disaster on all platforms on release but still received high scores.
There is pretty good chance FFXVI will actually release in a working condition compared to that game.

Exactly....thats my point...you think with the way games are launching that these journalists would be asking the publisher at these events if they are hitting performance goals for launch.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It wasn't glossed over. People have brought it up. EZ Allies and Max come to mind. And the question was already answered:

It's the first Final Fantasy with mature themes aimed toward adults, so of course it's going to be a point of discussion. The Revenge plot of the story is surface level. They've said it multiple times, but don't want to go too deep into the story to avoid spoilers. I don't know if you've only seen a select few moments from the game, or if you've seen everything they've release up until now, but we've seen plenty of samples of cutscenes with really good dialogue and VA, and plenty of political intrigue. As a FFXIV player, I can tell you that the writers know what they're doing. FFXIV and particularly Heavensward are very well written, and the impressions I'm seeing show that level of narrative competence seems to be carrying over to this game.

The interview with the lead protagonist VA shows how confident they are in the game, and how multilayered characters like Clive will be.

Perfect thank you for the update.

TrebleShot

Shit, this may have just convinced me to buy a PS5 :/

I haven't purchased a new console in over a decade.
Kiss goodbye to your PC , you will come to peace with slightly lower res in performance modes and will fall in love with Dualsense and ease of use and accessibility to your games.

I vehemently disagree with you to the point where I seriously think that is a delusional take. The character models are extremely average. We can agree to disagree.

Yes, the main character models are extremely average. We definitely disagree.

The game has been constantly upgraded through the development cycle.

Before.gif

After.gif

Last edited:

H4ze

Alright alright alright.. I'll buy it. Damn I am so down for a new Final Fantasy. And I even liked FF15.

Guilty_AI

It's the first Final Fantasy with mature themes aimed toward adults, so of course it's going to be a point of discussion.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but among the content in previous FF stories, they included:
Baby murder, killing of central plot characters, war, rape.

If that isn't what you mean by "aimed towards adults", i dont know what else would it be.

The Revenge plot of the story is surface level. They've said it multiple times, but don't want to go too deep into the story to avoid spoilers. I don't know if you've only seen a select few moments from the game, or if you've seen everything they've release up until now, but we've seen plenty of samples of cutscenes with really good dialogue and VA, and plenty of political intrigue. As a FFXIV player, I can tell you that the writers know what they're doing. FFXIV and particularly Heavensward are very well written, and the impressions I'm seeing show that level of narrative competence seems to be carrying over to this game.
The dialogue i've seen didn't impress me much. Accents that felt really forced, above average but otherwise typical jrpg dialogues. Can't get much on the politics since they're showing very little to avoid spoilers, or what exactly they're even refering to "politics" here. Is it the brother killing plot? Dispute for resources? Thats far too little to go on.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Its not mucking it up, those are valid criticisms, some of the cut scene transitions do look a little jank imo, and the characters are definitely a little more geographically simple than ff7 remake for example, but the enviroments are a huge step up from that game and its low res ps3 brown corridors.
Is geographically simpler the new mentally challenged?

Madflavor

Correct me if i'm wrong, but among the content in previous FF stories, they included:
Baby murder, killing of central plot characters, war, rape.

If that isn't what you mean by "aimed towards adults", i dont know what else would it be.
How they approach and execute these themes makes a difference though. It's why war's depiction in Star Wars can be sold to a family friendly audience, whereas something like Game of Thrones doesn't shy away from the more realistic and horrifying aspects of war. The approach and execution of the darker themes of story telling will be more aimed towards adults is what I'm trying to say.

The dialogue i've seen didn't impress me much. Accents that felt really forced, above average but otherwise typical jrpg dialogues. Can't get much on the politics since they're showing very little to avoid spoilers, or what exactly they're even refering to "politics" here. Is it the brother killing plot? Dispute for resources? Thats far too little to go on.
I mean I just disagree, it sounds fine to me. But it's also all out of context. How we experience these cutscenes in sequence from beginning to end is what'll matter.

Guilty_AI

How they approach and execute these themes makes a difference though. It's why war's depiction in Star Wars can be sold to a family friendly audience, whereas something like Game of Thrones doesn't shy away from the more realistic and horrifying aspects of war. The approach and execution of the darker themes of story telling will be more aimed towards adults is what I'm trying to say.
And approeach/execution has been my worry from the very beggining. They can say all they want it'll be "mature" or "made for adults", i've seen enough of that drivel being spouted only for things to turn out like some teenager edgy-lord thing, ESPECIALLY among JP media. So don't hold against me for being skeptical

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And what about people that say turn based is 'outdated'? Do you have problem with them?
Both of side argument is equally dumb as fuck. You can like or dislike a combat system but calling it “outdated“ just because you don’t like it personally is straight up idiotic.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So the previews seem very positive. But one of the concern for some (and me) is the amount of cutscenes, 11 hours is really too much for me. Hopefully some will be skippable
Final Fantasy has always had crazy amounts of cutscenes, this sounds like MGS level though, which I'm SO DOWN FOR UGGHHH *shakes in anticipation*.

Danjin44

And approeach/execution has been my worry from the very beggining. They can say all they want it'll be "mature" or "made for adults", i've seen enough of that drivel being spouted only for things to turn out like some teenager edgy-lord thing, ESPECIALLY among JP media. So don't hold against me for being skeptical
I would say it’s “mature“ story might something similar to FF Tactics with more blood and violence, I’m not expecting to twisted like Drakengard, that’s something only Yoko Taro can pull off.

ESPECIALLY among JP media
I’m guessing you haven’t watched shows like Vinland Saga or Odd Taxi?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I would say it’s “mature“ story might something similar to FF Tactics with more blood and violence, I’m not expecting to twisted like Drakengard, that’s something only Yoko Taro can pull off.
FF tactics is probably the closest FF i can think of with a more serious story, this one just seem to be going for dark and edgy.
Which isn't bad in itself, just can't stand them trying to sell it as some "mature" "for adults" thing when it very likely won't be.

You're citing the GOOD examples (and honestly they're mostly sold a just being 'good').
Try stuff like Akagami ga Kill, Fruit of Grisaia or Elfen Lied.

Madflavor

I'm reading Berserk for the first time. I don't see how the story could work as well as it has been so far, without the horrific depictions of war, violence, etc. "Dark and edgy" can be a tool used to elevate your story if done correctly.

FF tactics is probably the closest FF i can think of with a more serious story, this one just seem to be going for dark and edgy.
Which isn't bad in itself, just can't stand them trying to sell it as some "mature" "for adults" thing when it very likely won't be.

I think the issue here is that you might need to try looking at this through the lens of them trying to market this game. Personally nothing I've seen of FFXVI makes me think it's being dark and brutal for the sake of it. But they do have to market the game, and as Ben Starr, Koji Fox and Yoshi-P have mentioned, the emotional and three dimensional sides of the story and characters isn't as exciting and marketable, and you can't just show the deeper and more meaningful aspects of the story, without context, in trailers and previews. First off because it spoils the moments, but secondly without context it doesn't work. So for the most part all the marketing can do if they want to drum up excitement for mainstream audiences and to not spoil anything, is to talk about the mature approach on a broad spectrum. And mainstream audiences being the target demo for marketing should be perfectly acceptable. Much as they may care about the integrity of their story and vision, they do need to sell the game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
And what about people that say turn based is 'outdated'? Do you have problem with them?
And I really meant it when I called action games drivel. It's not exaggeration. My muscle memory is so honed that playing a title like dmc is a mindless reflex experience. It doesn't make me use my mind in any meaningful way.
I never used my mind in a meaningful way in any of the turn based FF battles (except Tactics). They are some of the most mindless and repetitive games ever made. Virtually all the strategy in those games is in how you build your characters, something that FF XVI also has. The actual battles are just “heal if your HP is low, otherwise use direct damage abilities until you win”. Wowee. Way too sophisticated for all those dudebro action gamers to comprehend.

I also honed my muscle memory to perfection by picking “attack” from a menu thousands of times, usually while half paying attention and watching something on another screen.

Honestly I think the people who are so butthurt about FF XVI don’t even give a shit about Final Fantasy. They just see FF abandoning turn based combat as a personal insult that tarnishes their nostalgia, and challenges their smug sense of superiority. If it wasn’t the battle system, they’d find 1000 other reasons why FF XVI falls short of whatever niche weeb stuff they’re into.

Danjin44

You're citing the GOOD examples (and honestly they're mostly sold a just being 'good').
Try stuff like Akagami ga Kill, Fruit of Grisaia or Elfen Lied.
I considered shows like Vinland Saga and Odd Taxi more mature and better we written than most shows from western media.

In the end you just wait and see how will turn out p, I personally seen enough from FFXVI to confident enough to like the direction going with its “mature“ story.

Also another recent show I‘m really liking is Heavenly Delusion…..really goooood.

Last edited:

iorek21

The only thing that is really bothering me are the spongey enemies. From the gameplay clips shown, even common enemies take ages to kill.

It's going to get old really fast if every encounter is like that.

Guilty_AI

I considered shows like Vinland Saga and Odd Taxi more mature and better we written than most shows from western media.
There is no doubt they are, though 'mature' is just kind of a codeword for shock-value or saddads nowadays.

Better just call them 'good' or 'great'. A "mature" story in its most truthful meaning wouldn't even need to be targeted to adults in the first place.

Madflavor

The only thing that is really bothering me are the spongey enemies. From the gameplay clips shown, even common enemies take ages to kill.

It's going to get old really fast if every encounter is like that.

Just gonna pull a quote:

"MrHappy confirmed eikon abilities shreds normal sized mobs easily. The promos you see are designed to style on them, not to murder them in seconds. In the open world section he mentioned, he planned on chaining one cooldown ability on one pack and another to kill them quickly, since all abilities keep regenerating outside of combat.

Big sized mobs do take a bit longer to kill though, probably takes a stagger bar or two. They often appear along smaller mobs."

iorek21

Just gonna pull a quote:

"MrHappy confirmed eikon abilities shreds normal sized mobs easily. The promos you see are designed to style on them, not to murder them in seconds. In the open world section he mentioned, he planned on chaining one cooldown ability on one pack and another to kill them quickly, since all abilities keep regenerating outside of combat.

Big sized mobs do take a bit longer to kill though, probably takes a stagger bar or two. They often appear along smaller mobs."

I really hope that's the case, the gameplay footage I've seen has given me The Division nightmares. I hope Square shows some untampered gameplay soon.

Makes sense to take longer to kill more powerful enemies, no issues on that, FFVII remake did it as well and it was great.

Madflavor

I really hope that's the case, the gameplay footage I've seen has given me The Division nightmares. I hope Square shows some untampered gameplay soon.

Makes sense to take longer to kill more powerful enemies, no issues on that, FFVII remake did it as well and it was great.

My guess is that they wanted to showcase some of the flashier higher level combos on enemies without melting them, fin order to demonstrate them for the preview and trailer builds. The actual game probably won't be like that.

Madflavor

Since the Game of Thrones and the "Dark and Edgy" thing has been brought up in here, let me post a recent interview with Clive and Jill's VA:

I spoke with [Naoki] Yoshida (producer of Final Fantasy 16) about the influence of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings, especially in the visuals. I wondered if they influenced your performances at all?

S: I think because at the beginning we didn't know what it was going to look like, all we had were these words on a page, it really comes quite organically from us. And I think what's most interesting about both of these characters is they're both really vulnerable but incredibly resilient and strong.

B: When it comes to Game of Thrones, what was the strength of that? Yes, it's a story about warring families and all of this stuff, but why did people really get on board with that in the show? It's because performance is at the heart of it. You believe in these characters, you love these characters. So that is a great example of how to do a big, grand fantasy scale on a human level. The similarity for Susie and I, it was all about can you find the humanity, can you ever find any sense of tenderness in the chaos? They were always my favourite scenes with [Susie], Jill always brings that out in Clive and vice versa. We've been through so much in those years.

Were you surprised by how mature it is? When you compare to previous Final Fantasy games, there's sex, there's blood, there's war.

S: I think people expect it now. These games are elevated and much more realistic in terms of the emotional journey and the filling out of characters, which is why it's so interesting to play them. They're no longer just one dimensional: I'm the female lead, he's the male lead. It's so much more.

B: It's messy, isn't it? Emotions are really muddy, there isn't a right or wrong at all. And I think that, as much as there is blood, it's the messiness of that. There isn't light and dark, that doesn't exist. It's not what they are. And Jill and Clive are going to have to do some pretty bad things in order to do what they think is right. They'll certainly question each other on the journey, if what they're doing is the right thing.

Ben gets it. And I don't think he'd be saying these things if the character and story weren't a reflection of that.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I never used my mind in a meaningful way in any of the turn based FF battles (except Tactics). They are some of the most mindless and repetitive games ever made. Virtually all the strategy in those games is in how you build your characters, something that FF XVI also has. The actual battles are just “heal if your HP is low, otherwise use direct damage abilities until you win”. Wowee. Way too sophisticated for all those dudebro action gamers to comprehend.

I also honed my muscle memory to perfection by picking “attack” from a menu thousands of times, usually while half paying attention and watching something on another screen.

Honestly I think the people who are so butthurt about FF XVI don’t even give a shit about Final Fantasy. They just see FF abandoning turn based combat as a personal insult that tarnishes their nostalgia, and challenges their smug sense of superiority. If it wasn’t the battle system, they’d find 1000 other reasons why FF XVI falls short of whatever niche weeb stuff they’re into.
Stop lying out your ass. Some Ff boss battles were among the most challenging I've ever had. It causes you to think multiple turns ahead. Something tells me you've probably not played much if any of them. they only become easy if you are overleveled. And way to oversimplify.

Top Bottom