• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Surpasses 24 Million Players, Becomes Most Profitable Final Fantasy Game In the Series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a recent hands-on preview event for the upcoming Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker expansion, director Naoki Yoshida revealed that Square Enix's popular MMORPG recently has surpassed 24 million players. Furthermore, it is the most profitable Final Fantasy game in the series.

Speaking to the press in a digital preview event, Yoshida revealed that the player count has hit 24 million players 11 years after Final Fantasy 14 was first released. In a chart Yoshida shared with the press, Final Fantasy 14's player count back in 2015 was 4 million registered players. That number hit 10 million by the time the third expansion, Stormblood, was released in 2017, before doubling in the next four years.

"You all know just how hard things were for us with the original Final Fantasy 14," Yoshida says referencing the MMORPGs infamous launch. "Since then, we were able to transform the title into one that provides a major contribution to our company's profits."

Indeed, Yoshida says Final Fantasy 14 is the most profitable title in the Final Fantasy series. "It's perhaps unbecoming of me to say but in terms of our business, we've been able to achieve great success. Moving forward, we're going to spare no expense with our investments to ensure that this game continues to be one which our players can enjoy."

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's like the reverse story of WoW. By sparing no expense, I wonder if that means technology refreshes including engine and asset improvements. Because while it's still probably the best story-driven MMO available, it's getting a little long in the tooth.

YukiOnna

Hope to see it double again and more Warriors of Light in the game soon to experience an amazing adventure, but not at the expense of the servers.

Myths

It's like the reverse story of WoW. By sparing no expense, I wonder if that means technology refreshes including engine and asset improvements. Because while it's still probably the best story-driven MMO available, it's getting a little long in the tooth.
FFXVII or FFXVIII. I feel it's going to be the latter with a dual announcement like so:

Miss these days.

YukiOnna

If you mean specifically for XIV then he did indicate in one of the media tour questions it's something he has in plans for post Endwalker updates to the game among other things to keep it relevant for another decade.

Sophist

when even that important World of Warcraft-only streamer on twitch, amongstbold, started playing it, i knew it will go big.

kyoji

Upgraded from Playstation 4 to 5, its the best mmorpg on the market. The End game is super fun as well until you exhaust it all, cant wait for the next expansion to drop.

Neofire

Upgraded from Playstation 4 to 5, its the best mmorpg on the market. The End game is super fun as well until you exhaust it all, cant wait for the next expansion to drop.
What's your own ID if you don't mind me asking? Also what server are you on, on FF14?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kinda sad I just do not have the time to play an MMO any more. I played the game game back in the days before the first big expansion and loved everything about it. World, bosses, story, characters... Fantastic game. Would have been well deserved even back then.

ClosBSAS

Now it needs a complete graphics overhaul. Shits getting old and ugly.

Been a sub since day 1 of 1.0, what a ride.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Why do people still play ffx1 when they can play this?
Well XI is an entirely different bag of bolts when it first came out it was the slowest grind in the history of ever. Also the combat was a bit more I dunno how to explain it but as an example I could ctrl + alt 4 and shield bash your ass with my paladin while swapping in all of my shield bash enhancing gear and having it revert back automatically right after the bash. TBH there has never been another game like XI its actually one of my favorites ever and a summoner was an actual summoner in XI.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
You gotta be fucking kidding me!

Well now I know, I'm never getting what I want again..

Neofire

Well XI is an entirely different bag of bolts when it first came out it was the slowest grind in the history of ever. Also the combat was a bit more I dunno how to explain it but as an example I could ctrl + alt 4 and shield bash your ass with my paladin while swapping in all of my shield bash enhancing gear and having it revert back automatically right after the bash. TBH there has never been another game like XI its actually one of my favorites ever and a summoner was an actual summoner in XI.
I share your sentiments.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Of course it's the most profitable, it's subscription service 😂

Aenima

I find the FF14 monetization a little bit greedy with pay for the game, pay for expansions, pay a monthly fee to be able to play and a online store that sells exclusive cosmetic dlc that can only be purchased with real money.

But at least the, game + expansions content is worth it to ppl that want to dedicate they time to a mmorpg. Enjoyed my time there while it lasted. Comunity is also the most friendly i came across in an online game.

zeorhymer

Wait wut? 24 MILLION? Last I saw it was like 500k monthly. Damn...Blizzard did them a huge solid and gave them money.

lils

im surprised that many people were able to sub given how much a piece of shit the website is

Valonquar

So they are breaking 200mil a month in sub fees? if 1% of the pop buys each new $24 mount they roll in $57.6mil at once. That's pretty nuts.

Holgren

I dropped it years ago but the community was super nice and the content great. Big fan of Heavensward, so I'm happy that the game did well.

EDIT: I just noticed this thread is old as fuck, IDK why it appeared on my feed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom