• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Draft, the film and television industry standard for screenwriting, has an inclusivity analysis tool.

kiiltz

tFh2Mcx.png

This is actually a year old so idk if people are already aware of it. Did a quick search to see if there was already a topic on it but didn't see anything. Interesting, if not unnecessary imo. On one hand I can see it maybe coming in handy for something that has an ensemble cast like Sens8 but mostly I find it really insincere and reduces the idea of diversity to a checklist, which is no different than how Hollywood use to cast token black characters in the 20th century. I also believe that anyone worth their salt as a writer doesn't need such a superficial list to keep track of their characters.

teezzy

Banned
I've been using FInal Draft 8 since like 2010 or so

None of this f'n BS. It works its simple.

Just wait until Sony Vegas starts counting your inclusivity. Then pirate savvy video creators are fucked

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is a software process now because it is trying to automate a task that has been performed already for years.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Thanks for posting this. One reason culture is so bad these days is everyone uses the same handful of “writing tools”.

The Inclusivity Analysis feature will be available on Final Draft 11 and tracks how diverse and inclusive a screenplay is by allowing the user to quickly assign and measure the ethnicity, gender, age, disability or any other definable trait of the characters in the script. In addition, it can help users determine the number of scenes that might pass the Bechdel Test as well as other similar tests. The information is provided in easy to read charts that provide an overview of the screenplay’s inclusivity attributes.
Madeline Di Nonno, Institute CEO said, “Our data and turn-key research tools have always been the best solution to help our entertainment and media partners make informed business decisions in order to advance onscreen gender equality and intersectionality in the stories they create.

The software helps entertainment partners “make informed business decisions”. It’s all about money. Production line writing for production line art.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
"The Fight For Inclusion in Hollywood"

AKA: People won't shut up about this stuff, let's exploit their concerns and make bank!

Last edited:

kiiltz

The software helps entertainment partners “make informed business decisions”.
That's a good point, one that I hadn't really thought of as I'd mainly been thinking about it from the writer's point of view. Producers and studio execs go through hundreds of scripts a day so there's little doubt a lot of it would be looking at the statistical reports of a script. Given that they ultimately have to choose one script from a hundred thousand it's daunting to think that a potentially good one could be passed over because it didn't meet the "inclusivity" bench mark. More over, there are most probably definitely scripts that were asked to increase the inclusivity percentage on subsequent rewrites.

I'm not against the tool itself, but making "informed business decisions" off of it is ridiculous and goes to show how insincere Hollywood is to any kind of political correctness plight.

Slightly related, "inclusivity" keeps getting spellchecked for me. It's not in the dictionary lmao.

Top Bottom