• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Backward Compatibility update for Xbox One

T-Cake

Cheeky beggars! I looked on the day of Inside Xbox and it was exactly half the price it is now. I almost bought it but realised I hadn't even got an Xbox One X. LMAO.

Rodolink

Damn no Nier, Im living in another country far away original home, such a hassle to bring with me the 360 just for it. Was hoping it to be added to the program someday, I guess this is it. Only option would be emulation or bring the damn console.

Now's not the time to focus on what we didn't get but what we did get. 100% backwards compatibility was never promised and was communicated clearly at the start of the programme (no old controller based titles, licensing issues and required publisher permission). We got a lot of what we wanted,

BLack OPs II
Asuras Wrath
daytona
Multi Disc titles that never previously had digital versions
Final Fantasy XIII with improved movies
Panzer Dragoon Orta with the level 3 bug corrected for the European release
OG Xbox games
Ninja Gaiden II
Whole game series available on one platform
Enslaved
Fallout 3 / New Vegas
X enhanced titles
GTA IV / Episodes from Liberty City
Emulator updates and bug fixes
Halo games even when Master Chief collection existed (thankfully)
Lost Odyssey free for the month it was released
Too Human, free and had well publicised legal issues
Radiant Silvergun
Street Fighter IV and updated versions
The Orange Box

Sure we all have personal stuff we would have liked but having been on the journey from the start a lot of the most requested titles got delivered within the clearly laid out constraints they were working in. If you are old enough to have been following OG Xbox compatibility on the the 360 in 2005 - 2008(?) then it's been a world of difference and over delivering. Thank you back compat team, you've done and amazing job and I look forward to what you do when you come out the other side of going dark.

Exceptional post, mate. I was too lazy to do something similar but I think you convincingly compiled and shared a solid slice of the positive experience that the back compat program has provided to the core gamers who own an Xbox One this gen (and what non Xbox owners massively missed out on). It was the key differentiator that kept me turning on my Xbox more than my PS4 this gen. I'm deeply saddened that the back compat team has been taken out the back of the offices and shot by head-corporate's @ Microsoft now that they feel that their job is done.

Legacy back compat and improvements should be a core component of the Xbox program and a perpetual program going forwards. Cancelling back compat has been the first gigantic mistake Microsoft has made for next gen IMO.

theclaw135

Banned
Exceptional post, mate. I was too lazy to do something similar but I think you convincingly compiled and shared a solid slice of the positive experience that the back compat program has provided to the core gamers who own an Xbox One this gen (and what non Xbox owners massively missed out on). It was the key differentiator that kept me turning on my Xbox more than my PS4 this gen. I'm deeply saddened that the back compat team has been taken out the back of the offices and shot by head-corporate's @ Microsoft now that they feel that their job is done.

Legacy back compat and improvements should be a core component of the Xbox program and a perpetual program going forwards. Cancelling back compat has been the first gigantic mistake Microsoft has made for next gen IMO.

The back compat team has hopefully probably moved over to the next gen console.

I heard this was the last update, but I didn't realize how epic it was till now. Tons of new games and half of which are enhanced with the likes of SC Chaos Theory, Kameo, Too Human, Perfect Dark Zero and more.

Sorry if already posted

New Original Xbox Games Announced Today

Today, another long-awaited wave of Original Xbox games are playable on Xbox One:

All of these Original Xbox classics take advantage of the power of Xbox One with up to 4x the pixel count on Xbox One and Xbox One S, and up to 16x the pixel count on Xbox One X for resolutions up to 4K Ultra HD. These games are available to play now on disc and you can purchase digitally in the Microsoft Store later this week.

With the addition of the four Tom Clancy Splinter Cell games from the Original Xbox, you can now play the entire Splinter Cell franchise on Xbox One.

Additionally, we are releasing Original Xbox downloadable content packs free of charge today to current and future owners of the following games, available automatically via content updates on Xbox One:

Game TitleNew Details and Content
Armed and DangerousNew Mission: Summer Home
Star Wars BattlefrontNew Map: Jabba
Star Wars Battlefront IIExpansion Pack (4 new maps, 1 new hero: Kit Fisto and 1 new villain: Asajj Ventress)

New mode: Kashyyyk Assault
Star Wars: Knights of the Old RepublicEquipment store: Yavin Station
Star Wars Republic CommandoMultiplayer Map: Hangar
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell3 Mission Packs: Kola Cell, Vselka Infiltration, and Vselka Submarine
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow2 Map Packs (split-screen multi-player maps): Federal Bank and River Mall
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory2 Mission Packs (split-screen co-op missions): Nuclear Plant and UN Headquarters

2 Map Packs (split-screen multi-player maps): Polar Base and Steel Squat

image: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/Xbox-BackCompat_E3-Wave-Enhanced_1920x1080_Final.jpg

New Xbox One X Enhanced Updates Available Today

Alongside our E3 collection, we are releasing several title updates today for Xbox One X owners. Xbox 360 games enhanced for Xbox One X run at a higher resolution – 9x the original pixel count up to 4K UltraHD – with improved texture filtering and color detail. The power of Xbox One X enables the Xbox 360 emulator to showcase the very best version of the game possible with the existing assets and no modification to the original experience.

Xbox One X Enhanced updates available now include:

These Xbox One X Enhanced updates will be automatically applied to all owners of these games, whether they were purchased individually or as part of the Rare Replay collection.

New Xbox 360 Fan-Favorites Available This Week

We are also releasing a curated collection of fan-favorite Xbox 360 games, available this week, to commemorate the special occasion, including:

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06...x-backward-compatibility/#LkDv6qy6Btrxw8Hj.99

Last edited:
Oh damn? Chaos Theory?

This back compat stuff is amongst some of the best things MS has put out. Especially classics like Asura's Wrath.

Is Too Human worth digging into? I seem to remember it not being well received and the death animations being PAINFUL.

Fox Mulder

seems a bit weird for a court to rule "this infringes on someone elses copyrighted work, and must be withdrawn from sale immediately, but if someone else wants to give it away in 10 years time thats cool"

Microsoft published it but must have got permission from Epic Games to even give it away free. It's commendable they would go through the effort for this game. It wasnt good and is only of note due to its back story of development hell and lawsuit.

ExpandKong

Banned
Microsoft published it but must have got permission from Epic Games to even give it away free. It's commendable they would go through the effort for this game. It wasnt good and is only of note due to its back story of development hell and lawsuit.

I wonder if they’re planning a franchise revival or something? Odd game to go through those kinda legal and technical hoops to just give away.

The Alien

Banned
Lol...maybe its 'nostalgia' or the easy 1000 achievement points, but King Long wasn't half bad.

(Probably not half good either)

intbal

Armed and Dangerous - The most bumped map in all of gaming history.
And now you can see it the way it was meant to be seen.
An awesome game. Runs great, too.

RAIDEN1

The sad thing is there is still so much left that they could have brought out...or at least carry on till the end of the summer...now its a case of wondering when will it be back.......probably 2021 if we are lucky..

Bakkus

Can someone ask Phil Spencer why Nier is not a part of this yet? Surely they must have cought wind of how popular the game is now in retrospect and not just base the compatible games on their Metacritic score.

intbal

No. No one can ask Phil that because they don't interact with the community. They've been ignoring all communication on Twitter for a year (unless all you want to do is kiss their ass) and they removed the Backwards Compatibility section of the Xbox forums almost a year ago.
The only MS person who ever responded to any questions was Jason Ronald, and all he ever said was the exact same thing, time after time, regardless of the question you asked him: "Stay Tuned!"
Microsoft generally doesn't like their userbase.

Mista

Banned
There’s a thread already

Top Bottom